Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Other Entertainment

Notices

Other Entertainment Discuss other television programs as well as movies, music, books, comic books, games, etc.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:02 PM   #1
CG
Foster's Legend

BACK FROM THE DEAD?!!?  

Send a message via AIM to CG Send a message via MSN to CG Send a message via Yahoo to CG
Default Where the Wild Things Are

Who here grew up knowing this story book? Young Max, sent to his room for being naughty dreams up an island full of Wild Things to play with and release his inner feelings until he misses home so he returns all calm again.

I've been following the making of this film for over a year. Almost two.

Unfortunately I have to wait until December to see it in cinemas here but fortunately I found a copy online. Bare in mind I RARELY do this, but I couldn't wait.

I am in love with this movie. The raw emotions, the cinematography, the style and of course the beautifully ugly Wild Things captured my heart the second Carol first appeared on screen.

Has anybody here seen it? Hoping to see it? What did you like, or dislike?

I've done crossover art, which is coming. I've noticed before Eduardo's appearance is similar to Sendak's Wild Things so I've got him and King Mac coming soon.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:39 PM   #2
Imaginary Light
Princess of Zingapore, Wisconsin

Send a message via AIM to Imaginary Light

I really want to see this movie. Just watching the trailer made me feel so nostalgic for my childhood.

Also, I heard it's a lot darker than people thought it was going to be, and that there were some not-so-pleased parents. Why can't they just understand that kids can take more than we think?
Old 10-28-2009, 05:00 PM   #3
Howard
Desert Rat

Only the best!  

I want to see it as well. The trailer looked awesome! Just to show you how long that story has been around, I read it (er had it read to me) when I was five; that was in 1969. The writer and illustrator actually did the illustrations in "Mrs. Piggle Wiggle's Farm." Anyone here remember the Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books?

Last edited by Howard; 10-28-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:26 PM   #4
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

I have a few of the Mrs Piggle Wiggle collections, yes.

I want to see WTWTA too, but I'm in no hurry. I'll wait until the crowds die down.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:30 PM   #5
CG
Foster's Legend

BACK FROM THE DEAD?!!?  

Send a message via AIM to CG Send a message via MSN to CG Send a message via Yahoo to CG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Light View Post
Also, I heard it's a lot darker than people thought it was going to be, and that there were some not-so-pleased parents.
well it is fairly dark. Watching the first 15 minutes is uncomfortable for some, to see Max act the way he is. But it does indeed have darker aspects, especially when
Spoiler Below
KW eats Max to keep him safe from Carol's wrath
and when
Spoiler Below
Carol rips off Douglas' arm.

But you are right about kids dealing with more than what we give credit for. If parents think it's too dark they might as well stay home and let the kids see the movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
I want to see it as well. The trailer looked awesome! Just to show you how long that story has been around, I read it (er had it read to me) when I was five; that was in 1969. The writer and illustrator actually did the illustrations in "Mrs. Piggle Wiggle's Farm." Anyone here remember the Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books?
well the book has been around since '63. I'm shocked to learn there was outcry from so many people when it first came out, because it broke the mould children story books had. About Max's anger and the Wild Things threatening to eat him up because they loved him so. Maurice Sendak even had arguements over the use of the word 'hot' as the last word in the story, associating hot with burn.

I loved the book when I was little, it was one I borrowed many times and read by myself once I knew how to. One of my childhood favourites for sure.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:33 PM   #6
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

I never read the books, but I remember the story from my childhood. I remember when I first learned they were making a movie from it thinking "Oh, that's cool!" As I can't really say I'm a fan, I'm also not in a hurry to see the movie, but I wouldn't mind seeing it at some point. I'll probably wait until it comes out on DVD, as I rarely go to the theatre anymore.

As a point of interest, Lauren said on Facebook
Quote:
Where the Wild Things Are: a film ABOUT childhood, not necessarily FOR children--- and absolutely brilliant.
So sounds like she really liked it.
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote