Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Characters > Imaginary Friends

Notices

Imaginary Friends Discuss the main imaginary characters: Bloo, Wilt, Eduardo, Coco, Mr. Herriman, Duchess, and Cheese.

Old 10-05-2006, 01:37 PM   #1
Matchsticks
At Home
Comes from the brain-heart.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by antgirl1 View Post
LOL! That just reminded me of "Elmo's Show"! XD (
No, its the BLOO show.

So, can anyone suggest to me a good Wilt fic. Perferably without any Mary Sues.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:39 PM   #2
x_dummkoff_x
Riku

floccinaucinihilipilification  

Send a message via AIM to x_dummkoff_x Send a message via MSN to x_dummkoff_x Send a message via Yahoo to x_dummkoff_x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchsticks View Post
Perferably without any Mary Sues.

what's that mean?
Old 10-05-2006, 05:01 PM   #3
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_dummkoff_x View Post
what's that mean?

A "Mary Sue" is a fanfiction term for an original character, who's really more or less the writer herself, under a different name. Mary Sues are generally VERY annoying, as the writer tends to have them "larger than life", and of course, they almost ALWAYS are in the story for the sole purpose of becoming the love interest of the main fan character. Most Wilt-based fanfics DO feature a Mary Sue, who is almost always a really cool Imaginary Friends, who falls in love with the Tall Red One immediately after arriving at Foster's, and she is always really nice. Most of the time, she's also harrassed and made fun of by one of the other female Imaginary Friends, who are jealous that THEY don't get to be all snuggly-wuggly with the Wilt-Man. It's tough, I'll admit, to create an OC that isn't at least a bit "Mary Sueish", or in the case of male fanfic writers, "Gary Stueish".

pitbulllady
pitbulllady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 05:11 PM   #4
x_dummkoff_x
Riku

floccinaucinihilipilification  

Send a message via AIM to x_dummkoff_x Send a message via MSN to x_dummkoff_x Send a message via Yahoo to x_dummkoff_x

oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh.
I've done that a bunch of times.
>> now I feel stupid.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:29 PM   #5
kageri
Polkameister

FORTY-SEVEN, YES. I MEAN TWO.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbulllady View Post
It's tough, I'll admit, to create an OC that isn't at least a bit "Mary Sueish", or in the case of male fanfic writers, "Gary Stueish".
I think all writers put at least a bit of themselves into their characters, and not all OCs are Mary Sues, but... I just don't really like OCs in general. Oh well.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:11 PM   #6
antgirl1
Baja Blast my Beloved

Rapo or Rachel is fine!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kageri View Post
I think all writers put at least a bit of themselves into their characters, and not all OCs are Mary Sues, but... I just don't really like OCs in general. Oh well.
You know, I try hard to make my OCs the least sueish they can be. XD And lemme tell ya, that's quite hard.

Last edited by antgirl1; 10-05-2006 at 09:11 PM.
antgirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:24 PM   #7
scary_dream
Ol' Grandpa Trout

Now in radio-flavored.  

Ewww I've started to read many Wilt fanfics that are so Mary Sue-ish that I don't even finish them (I'm picky like that). I didn't even know that annoyance had a name, but it's good to know I'm not the only one who noticed it.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:44 PM   #8
Amritama
Newly Abandoned

Send a message via AIM to Amritama

You know, I never thought Wilt would become so popular. In fact, I was expecting to see some character bashing. Good thing that didn?t happen ? it would?ve made the fandom unpleasant!

When I first watched the show, Wilt was my favorite character. While I don't dislike him, he's not my favorite character in the series now. Maybe it's because I find people like him rare in the world but I really don't have a constructive answer. I have to admit, he's one of the kindest souls in the whole show, and he does make things a bit more interesting (I found him hilarious in "Neighbor Pains").

I haven't read many Foster's fanfics yet, but I can say that I tend to avoid creating and reading about OCs. Many of them either end up as Mary Sues or plain boring. Then again, most fanfics I've been reading recently haven?t really captivated me. Still, I can imagine people screwing up Wilt's character.
Amritama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:03 PM   #9
Vampyre
Smart Aleck
Woah! Look at that ZIT!... PSYCHE!  

Okay it's a bit late but:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbulllady View Post
A "Mary Sue" is a fanfiction term for an original character, who's really more or less the writer herself, under a different name. Mary Sues are generally VERY annoying, as the writer tends to have them "larger than life", and of course, they almost ALWAYS are in the story for the sole purpose of becoming the love interest of the main fan character. Most Wilt-based fanfics DO feature a Mary Sue, who is almost always a really cool Imaginary Friends, who falls in love with the Tall Red One immediately after arriving at Foster's, and she is always really nice. Most of the time, she's also harrassed and made fun of by one of the other female Imaginary Friends, who are jealous that THEY don't get to be all snuggly-wuggly with the Wilt-Man. It's tough, I'll admit, to create an OC that isn't at least a bit "Mary Sueish", or in the case of male fanfic writers, "Gary Stueish".

pitbulllady
*shrinks about two hundred times her size*
Oh poopie. I now feel as though I need to go shoot my own OC from my story 'Crooked Smile' (used to be Life Of a Broke Imaginary Friend but I changed the name because the original title was a bit dodgie). I have no idea whether my OC is Mary Sueish or not, but I can't help but think that she is .
Vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 01:44 PM   #10
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyre View Post
Okay it's a bit late but:

*shrinks about two hundred times her size*
Oh poopie. I now feel as though I need to go shoot my own OC from my story 'Crooked Smile' (used to be Life Of a Broke Imaginary Friend but I changed the name because the original title was a bit dodgie). I have no idea whether my OC is Mary Sueish or not, but I can't help but think that she is .

Actually, your OC, "ZigZag", is one of the best out there. I don't know you, so I can't say if you've got this Cockney accent or act really "street tough" or not, but she reminds me of "Eliza Doolittle" in My Fair Lady. She's almost a polar opposite of Wilt, which is why they have such good chemistry together. She's also far from "Miss Perfect"-she's got a hair-trigger temper and knows how to use it, unlike the helpless, sweetly-innocent OC "Mary Sues" in many stories. I think you're doing fine in how you are developing their relationship, too, by having them start out as friends, who don't always see eye-to-eye(no pun intended), rather than rush into the romance head-long, as most fanfic writers do. Most have Wilt and their OC fall head-over-heels for each other the first time they meet, but honestly, very few relationships start that way, and those that do, don't last very long. There's got to be something besides phyical attraction in a relationship, otherwise once that inevitably cools down, there's nothing left to hold it together.

pitbulllady
pitbulllady is offline   Reply With Quote