Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Other Entertainment

Notices

Other Entertainment Discuss other television programs as well as movies, music, books, comic books, games, etc.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:15 PM   #1
derangedperson
Newly Abandoned
NYARGH!  

Exclamation derangedperson's Top 10 Movie Twists (SPOILERS AHOY!)

For those who haven't seen the movies in question, READ AT YOUR OWN RISK! Otherwise, enjoy and feel free to add your own twists.

HONORABLE MENTION

YOU MANIACS! YOU BLEW IT UP! (Planet Of The Apes (1968))
These days everyone's familiar with this one, but try to imagine seeing it when it was first released. The impact of seeing the Statue Of Liberty in the sand back then was a total kick in the gut.

They don't know they're dead. (The Sixth Sense)
This shot the movie into another dimension. After Malcolm finds out he's dead, everything that happened before starts to make sense. One of the most emotional twists in movie history.

He wouldn't harm a fly. (Psycho (1960))
The granddaddy of movie twists right here. Norman's smile at the end will curdle your insides.

God's will has been served. (Frailty)
For most of the movie, Bill Paxton seems like a delusional nutjob. But when you find out he was right the whole time...

AND NOW, THE LIST!

10. Make us disappear! (The Illusionist)
Eisenheim's life appeared to have fallen apart, but it's all revealed not to be so. As Uhl pieces together everything, you'll be as impressed as him.

9. I know who you are... (The Machinist)
After Trevor fills in the puzzle and remembers the significance of the intersection and Ivan and the red car, it all falls into place.

8. Off the record... (The Life Of David Gale)
After Gale is executed and the story concludes, Bloom receives a videotape containing the whole story. Gale was involved with the whole thing.

7. You're dead! YOU'RE DEAD! (Lucky Number Slevin)
As The Boss and The Rabbi are at Slevin's mercy, he relates the story of the fixed horse race. Listen and listen well, 'cause it all makes sense.

6. GAME OVER! (Saw)
The trilogy is justifiably famous for its gore and its traps and its twists, but the best twist is still the first. After Adam kills Zep, as he's rifling through his pockets, only to pull out another tape player--look at his face fall. And then the dead guy on the floor gets up.

5. They're here! (Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1978))
After Bennell and Driscoll blow up the docks, you get the sense that they've won. But everything and everyone is oddly quiet, and when Driscoll approaches him at the end and he points and screams...WHOA.

4. Don't believe his lies. (Memento)
As Teddy gradually breaks down Leonard's entire reason for existence, he takes action. Pay attention.

3. There was never any stopping it. (Terminator 3: Rise Of The Machines)
After 20 years of hearing about Judgment Day, it finally happens. You're so sure that John and Kate will stop it, but when it's revealed to be a '60s bomb shelter, it's devastating.

2. And like that...he's gone. (The Usual Suspects)
Keyser Soze. Enough said.

1. I am your father. (The Empire Strikes Back)
No contest. NOBODY saw this coming. This is easily the greatest twist in movie history because of the sheer unexpectedness of it and the darkness it would put into the saga.

And there you have it. If you have some faves of yours, feel free to add them.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:54 PM   #2
some guy you dont know
Just a Poor Boy

Location: some building in some city of some state in some country.
Send a message via AIM to some guy you dont know

Quote:
Originally Posted by derangedperson View Post
1. I am your father. (The Empire Strikes Back)
No contest. NOBODY saw this coming. This is easily the greatest twist in movie history because of the sheer unexpectedness of it and the darkness it would put into the saga.
definetly agreed as the highest twist ever in a movie.

eh.. dont really get much chance to watch any movies, and the most i do see are comedys, so they dont get much of a twist
Old 01-26-2007, 02:15 PM   #3
Jabberwocky
Permanent Resident
I could be violet sky!  

Send a message via AIM to Jabberwocky Send a message via MSN to Jabberwocky Send a message via Yahoo to Jabberwocky Send a message via Skype™ to Jabberwocky

Why is Saw on the list and The Sixth Sense and Psycho only get honorable mention? Ewww!
Jabberwocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 05:59 PM   #4
Invader Bloo
Elder Spam

Teh Merc with teh Mouth  

Yes ESB had the greateast twist ever. Who saw that coming well unless your a kid nowadays who has that spoiled because of constant parodies of it . Although the Simpsons' parody of Chewie being Luke's father would of been freakier.

Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father
He told me YOU killed him!
No. Chewbacca is your father
Heh? WTF is up with that crap?
Yeah, weird...NOW you gonna turn to the dark side or what you whiny b****!?

Invader Bloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:21 PM   #5
derangedperson
Newly Abandoned
NYARGH!  

Smile

Quote:
Why is Saw on the list and The Sixth Sense and Psycho only get honorable mention? Ewww!
I put Sixth Sense in as an honorable mention because I saw it after someone told me the twist, so its impact wasn't as strong. Psycho's there because, even though it's a great twist, its impact has been sort of dulled by that shot-for-shot remake in 1998. Now I can't watch it without thinking of Vince Vaughn getting ninja-kicked by Julianne Moore.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:35 PM   #6
AerostarMonk
Holy Toledo!

Just try to relax and I'll try not to steal from you.  

Send a message via AIM to AerostarMonk Send a message via MSN to AerostarMonk Send a message via Yahoo to AerostarMonk

I'm the only person in the world who likes the shot-by-shot remake. Was it necessary? No. Was it fun for me to watch? Indeed.
AerostarMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:50 PM   #7
scary_dream
Ol' Grandpa Trout

Now in radio-flavored.  

I'm not particularly fond of the remake, but regardless, Vince Vaughn did a great job.

He's ok in comedy, but he does SO well in thriller/horror. I love how although he's more known for comedy, he can still pull off a good serious part.

Last edited by scary_dream; 01-31-2007 at 08:58 PM.
scary_dream is offline   Reply With Quote