Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Fan Creations > Fan-Fic Forum

Notices

Fan-Fic Forum Post and discuss Foster's-related stories here.

Old 08-21-2006, 06:32 PM   #11
ch3353-h4xx0rrrr
Permanent Resident
And it's Goo!  

Yup yup yup.

It's a highly advanced language of the computer.

\/\/\-\323 3\/32Y 7\-\*//& *5 1*/<3 7|-|*5.

Most people hate it. I think it's funny because some people don't know how to use it and make themselves look dumb, ya know?

So now everyone knows my true name: Cheese Hacker. It's not a good "language" to put in a fanfiction, due to the level of difficulty you have deciphering it, plus when you only use threes or fives it looks... dumb.

EXTRA INFORMATION: t3h language is called "1337", or "LEET".
Old 08-21-2006, 07:12 PM   #12
BlooCheese
Foster's Legend

Send a message via AIM to BlooCheese

Oh I get it! Sort of.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:31 PM   #13
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

I (and many others) dislike it when people make Terrence *evil* as opposed to just a stupid bully. There's a difference. Terrence doesn't like Mac and he probably hates Bloo but there's been no indication in the series that he "beats the crap" out of Mac, like tons of people like to put in their fics.
He pushes him around, he gives him wedgies, he's the stomp-on-a-sandcastle type, but he doesn't pound and pound until the blood comes. Got it? GOD I HATE THAT. -_-
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:40 PM   #14
BlooCheese
Foster's Legend

I think that no brother, no matter how much he may dislike his sibling, would beat up his kid brother so badly that his kid brother ends up bleeding.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:50 AM   #15
Fomalhaut
Who speaks like Goo and sings like Eurotrish

Sing with me, Eurotrish!  

Send a message via Skype™ to Fomalhaut

Is the Mary-Sue test OK? For I tried it on a character about who many *reliable* people on this board told me is totally alright, and I got the result that she's the ultimate Mary-Sue...

"Up in the sky, there's a star for everyone"
Fomalhaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 04:18 AM   #16
lucyrocks73
Razzamatazztic Tap Dancer

There are ways to make punks like you sing.  

Send a message via AIM to lucyrocks73

I'm guilty of making Terrence seem terrible myself (coughWOWTHcough)... And I probably went a little overboard... It does bug me every now in then though wen people make it seem like he's evil or something. I mean, I know I went overboard in my coauthored fic, but I don't think that Terrence should be eternally damned for that or anything. No, we have... er, bittersweet redemption planned in the end.

And the Mary Sue Test... Well, I've been using another one, and I tried that one. The one I usually use told me my character was fine (Irene from my Newsies fic), and then this one told me it was a big fat Mary Sue.

I think it's a Mary Sue myself... which is why the story is on indefinite hiatus until I get a chance to edit it... Which might be a while.

-Marty
Old 08-22-2006, 10:28 AM   #17
McGee's Jabberwock
Newly Abandoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooCheese View Post
I think that no brother, no matter how much he may dislike his sibling, would beat up his kid brother so badly that his kid brother ends up bleeding.
I think Grand High Idol/Delete-Lover has got a good idea of how Terrance ticks; it is likely that he's trying to heal the wounds from his father's death (it's likely a death rather than a divorce or Mom having an affair; Craig's dad died and people think Mac's based on him.) The problem is that due to Duchess' lack of appearances, people see Terrance as Foster's arch-enemy.
McGee's Jabberwock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:51 PM   #18
BlooCheese
Foster's Legend

Grand High Idol/Delete-Lover...? Who's that? Sorry.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:48 PM   #19
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

I hate Mary Sues, its true, but I also hate Mary Sue "tests", even if some of them are reliable. Just the idea that there's a "test," I guess, bugs me. The problem with Mary Sues is, pretty much *any* original character (especially one the same gender as the author) is GOING to be called a Mary Sue at some point. It's really an insult to a writer when people do that - I mean, original characters often stem from one's own personality and experiences, that's how original characters are *born*. So technically, there's a little of the writer in every one of their original characters (well, that's how I see it). And in a fanfic, there's usually a little bit of the writer in every one of the CANON characters as well, no matter how in-character they are portrayed. That's just the writing process. That's why co-authored fics are a million times awesomer than non-co-authored, in my opinion. That's why a show like Foster's has multiple writers, not just one. If the show had only one writer, it would be a disaster. You NEED multiple personalities and points of views to bring together a show, especially one like Foster's. Actually, when writing a fan-fic, I like to think of myself as sort of co-authoring with the writers of the original source material. That's the key I think - WORK with the existing material, don't reinvent it. When you reinvent it, that's what we like to call AU, or alternate-universe fanfic writing. Anyways the same goes for original characters. If they honestly mesh with the existing ones, you're off to a good start. If they totally clash, *that's* a clue that you're heading in the wrong direction. Don't be afraid to ask others for opinions, but do NOT take the first person you ask's word for it. Because some people are a little TOO quick to cry "Mary Sue".

Just my opinion. And please don't take my Foster's fics Focus and Edge as examples; I swear I wasn't even trying when I wrote those. I was just bored, and it was before I was really and truly a fan of Foster's. That's why I stopped writing that series; as a FAN, I think it was a bad start.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:40 AM   #20
Fomalhaut
Who speaks like Goo and sings like Eurotrish

Sing with me, Eurotrish!  

Send a message via Skype™ to Fomalhaut

Don't give up, Sparky! You haven't seen how I started! But now, I'm quite satisfied with my fanfic.

"Up in the sky, there's a star for everyone"
Fomalhaut is offline   Reply With Quote