Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Other Entertainment

Notices

Other Entertainment Discuss other television programs as well as movies, music, books, comic books, games, etc.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:09 AM   #21
montitech
Foster's Legend

The Elephant Man

No explanation needed, for those that have not seen it, it is a classic.

Monty
montitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:26 PM   #22
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by montitech View Post
The Elephant Man

No explanation needed, for those that have not seen it, it is a classic.

Monty
Indeed, very powerful stuff. I've only seen it once, but I do remember having a real lump in my throat at the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marshmallow View Post
One movie that made me sad was "The Butterfly Effect"....one of the most depressing movies I have ever seen and I'm usually a very positive person.
I was pretty saddened by that movie too, although not quite to the point of tears. Out of interest, which version did you see? I didn't really know much about the film when I'd rented the DVD, and was surprised when I later discovered that the theatrical release had contained a slightly happier conclusion (or less bleak, at any rate) than what I'd seen. I can't imagine it being quite as effective, though.

Another film I'm amazed I forgot is the Truman Show. I haven't seen it for a few years now, but I used to watch it all the time back in my late teens, and I remember always having a tear in my eye at the final outcome.

Spoiler Below
More specifically, when Truman asks Christof "Was nothing real?", and Christof replies, "You were real. That's what made you so good to watch." I don't know what it is about that exchange, but it's always touched me, deeply.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:56 PM   #23
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekylljuice View Post
I was pretty saddened by that movie too, although not quite to the point of tears. Out of interest, which version did you see? I didn't really know much about the film when I'd rented the DVD, and was surprised when I later discovered that the theatrical release had contained a slightly happier conclusion (or less bleak, at any rate) than what I'd seen. I can't imagine it being quite as effective, though.
I saw it both in theaters and the DVD, so in fact I saw both endings and I actually prefer the original movie ending. Which if you didn't see that ending and don't intend on renting/buying the movie anytime soon, I'll explain what it is and why it is "happier":

Spoiler Below
Ashton Kutcher gets out his dad's movie camera while hiding under the desk in the psychiatrist's office. He watches the tape back to when he first met Kaylee (I think that was the main girl's name), he then time travels back to that point and whispers to her "If you ever come near me again I'll kill you". This made her cry and walk away from him. Thus Ashton Kutcher never befriends her, never falls in love with her, and doesn't hurt/kill her. He then is shown living a normal life and burns his journals so to never go back and try again. At the very end, he's walking down the sidewalk and grown up Kaylee (Amy Smart) walks past him, she briefly turns around as if she's seen him before but shakes her head and walks off. Basically, this ending was happier because he lived and realized he could not be with her and be happy so he had to seperate from her for good.

That's basically the whole ending, and I do feel this was the better of the two. Even though it is a bit happier, like you said, you can still taste that bleak/depressing feeling.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:39 PM   #24
Nathander
The Best Character on the Show

Hairgel!  

Send a message via AIM to Nathander

I saw The Truman Show when I was fairly young when it was in theaters. I remember it, even now, as a movie that really touched me just because of what it was about.

The movie Metropolis was something that also got me near tears because of the end. I don't mean the 1920s Metropolis by Fritz Lang, but the anime that's somewhat based off both that version and Osamu Tezuka's manga. I found the ending fairly heartrending and, while there's still hope at the end of it, it's still this really bittersweet feeling when all is said and done.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:07 PM   #25
frankie_fan
Resident Movie Buff

But that's another show  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathander View Post
The movie Metropolis was something that also got me near tears because of the end. I don't mean the 1920s Metropolis by Fritz Lang, but the anime that's somewhat based off both that version and Osamu Tezuka's manga. I found the ending fairly heartrending and, while there's still hope at the end of it, it's still this really bittersweet feeling when all is said and done.
I totally agree! I seriously can't imagine seeing that climax without that song in there. It made the whole thing very heartwrenching.
frankie_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:03 PM   #26
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

ohhhhhh, i always thought y'all were talking about the 1920's Metropolis.

soooo confused.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:35 PM   #27
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marshmallow View Post
I saw it both in theaters and the DVD, so in fact I saw both endings and I actually prefer the original movie ending. Which if you didn't see that ending and don't intend on renting/buying the movie anytime soon, I'll explain what it is and why it is "happier":

Spoiler Below
Ashton Kutcher gets out his dad's movie camera while hiding under the desk in the psychiatrist's office. He watches the tape back to when he first met Kaylee (I think that was the main girl's name), he then time travels back to that point and whispers to her "If you ever come near me again I'll kill you". This made her cry and walk away from him. Thus Ashton Kutcher never befriends her, never falls in love with her, and doesn't hurt/kill her. He then is shown living a normal life and burns his journals so to never go back and try again. At the very end, he's walking down the sidewalk and grown up Kaylee (Amy Smart) walks past him, she briefly turns around as if she's seen him before but shakes her head and walks off. Basically, this ending was happier because he lived and realized he could not be with her and be happy so he had to seperate from her for good.

That's basically the whole ending, and I do feel this was the better of the two. Even though it is a bit happier, like you said, you can still taste that bleak/depressing feeling.
Thanks, Mr. M. I thought that the DVD version worked pretty well myself, but if I had any complaints it would be that it was perhaps a tad too reminiscent of the ending to Donnie Darko (or at least one interpretation of it, anyway). There's another very sad movie, though oddly enough I didn't find it quite as bleak as I did the Butterfly Effect, I suppose because with Donnie Darko there was a stronger element of humour and character throughout, so it made the conclusion a little easier to swallow.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:43 PM   #28
x_dummkoff_x
Riku

floccinaucinihilipilification  

Send a message via AIM to x_dummkoff_x Send a message via MSN to x_dummkoff_x Send a message via Yahoo to x_dummkoff_x

oh, dude,
the movie may ALWAYS make me cry!
Old 07-20-2007, 07:27 PM   #29
Invader Bloo
Elder Spam

Teh Merc with teh Mouth  

Here's another one:
A.I.: Artifical Intelligence

Sweet, heart-warming ending.

Invader Bloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:03 PM   #30
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader Bloo View Post
Here's another one:
A.I.: Artifical Intelligence

Sweet, heart-warming ending.
Yeah that's on right now. Neat movie, but I'm afraid I wasn't moved by it.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote