Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Characters > General Character Discussions

Notices

General Character Discussions Discussions about the characters in *general*, or groups of characters, belong here. Please place discussions about *single* specific characters in their appropriate category.

Old 08-27-2006, 03:15 PM   #1
ch3353-h4xx0rrrr
Permanent Resident
And it's Goo!  

Default Why would a kid need an imaginary friend?

What are some reasons a kid would need an imaginary friend?

I've thought of a few, but I wanna know what everyone else on the forum thinks.

Anyway, I think it's be a little similar to why kids need Fairy GodParents: unattentive parents for whatever reason (like a new sibling or something, maybe they're both work-a-holics), abusive older siblings, social isolation, etc. And let's not forget evil babysitters!
Old 08-27-2006, 03:17 PM   #2
Nyo
Little Miss Awesome Sauce

*bang!*  

*in Crockers voice* FAIRY GODPARENTS!!

I think kids make up imanginary friends becuase the kid is shy and/or needs more friends.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:45 PM   #3
Kzinistzerg
Foster's Legend

Welll....

teacher (Dunno who this'd be, possibly wilt, for sports?)
protector (eduardo, etc.)
friend (Bloo, etc.)
scapegoat (bendy)
provider (Coco. Thhose eggs must have been amazingly handy on that island)
Fighter (extremasaurs)
teddy bear (any of the really cute ones would work)
Kzinistzerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 04:39 PM   #4
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

Friend/playmate-This is why most kids, especially those who are shunned or made fun of by other kids, or who live where there are few other kids their own age to play with, make IF's.

Protector/Guardian-A kid who feels threatened by bullies, gangs, or even other family members might make an IF as a sort of bodyguard. Eduardo is supposed to have been created by a girl living in a rough neighborhood, who probably had to deal with gang shootings, drug wars, crooked cops, and maybe abusive parents.

Surrogate parent/mentor-A child who has lost a parent, or whose parents are not around for much of the time, might create an IF to take that parent's place. This might especially be true if the child had even-younger siblings and more or less had to care for them in the absence of a parent. I still believe that this was the primary reason that Wilt was created-to be a surrogate father for a kid who didn't have one.

Ego extension-a kid who likes to show off and be recognized as the center of attention might create an IF that's just as flamboyant, to draw attention to the two of them. Good example: Blake Superior.

Surrogate Pit Bull/Game rooster-Kids who are into violence, and believe that having a animal that can beat up someone else's animal makes them a tougher and more respectable individual create "Extremasaurs" for this purpose. You might be able to ban dogs or chickens, but how can you legistlate THOUGHTS? On a less-violent note, since Wilt was also created to compete in basketball, apparently, he sorta falls into this category, too.

Scapegoat-already been mentioned that Bendy is a good example, since many kids DO blame their IF's on things that they themselves do.

Girlfriend/boyfriend-come on, you KNOW that some teens must surely create an IF to fulfil that role, even if it is only for "show", so that their peers don't think that they are losers at an age when dating becomes so important.

And this is a recent one I'd thought of-that perhaps some kids might create an IF to serve as a companion for a single and obviously lonely PARENT, believing that this will solve the parent's lonliness, if nothing else, though, being a kid, the child would probably still create an IF based at least in part on THEIR ideal IF, rather than what the parent might be hoping for.

pitbulllady
pitbulllady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:58 PM   #5
scary_dream
Ol' Grandpa Trout

Now in radio-flavored.  

I had an imaginary friend because where I lived, there were NO kids my age to play with, and my older sister was almost always mean to me and wouldn't let me play with her or her friends.

I learned to play alone, and eventually imagined a friend to talk to during this time. He kept me from being sad and feeling lonely. I still love him bunches! *fuzzy feeling*
Old 08-29-2006, 06:11 AM   #6
LaBlooGirl
Mac's World in Bloo
"What are YOU lookin' at?"  

Send a message via Yahoo to LaBlooGirl

PB summed it all up nicely, I can't really say it any better. ^_^

As per example, in Mac's case I see Bloo being as the Protector (not that Bloo is very good at it), Comfort( he's snuggly and huggable), and Best Friend, something Mac needed since he has no dad around and a bullying older brother.

(Avatar piccy belongs to "sperg" of deviantart, sig piccy to "jameson".)
LaBlooGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 07:24 PM   #7
Sims Katie
Settling In

I made up an imaginary friend in kindergarden because I wanted people to think I was cool (it didn't work)

Sprinkle sprinkle little bar
What I wonder is a cat... keeshh
Sims Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 07:27 PM   #8
Kzinistzerg
Foster's Legend

Don't forget boredom. I remember talking to random objects when I was bored as a small kid. I also remember introducing them to a friend...
Kzinistzerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 02:03 AM   #9
Sims Katie
Settling In

Did any of you actually believe in your IFs? I didn't, but I spent a lot of time trying to convince other people they were real

Sprinkle sprinkle little bar
What I wonder is a cat... keeshh
Sims Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:46 AM   #10
BlooCheese
Foster's Legend

Send a message via AIM to BlooCheese

I think pitbulllady got all of the main reasons.