Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 01-01-2008, 07:53 AM   #901
Shelltoon
A Caring Individual

So sweet...  

You know what REALLY ticks me off? This stupid Anime/Manga vs. Comics/Cartoons thing. Seriously, can't ANYBODY just appreciate what they all have to offer in some way?
Old 01-01-2008, 08:00 AM   #902
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

I like to think I do, but you're right; when you come right down to it, they're just two different forms of the same thing. I can't see where one is any better or worse than the other. Isn't it the story that matters most?

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:37 AM   #903
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

In regards to something similar to that, another thing that ticks me off is "comic book fans". Not fans in general, just the ones who constantly whine, piss and moan about their comics being destroyed by turned into movies or complaining when the film doesn't do "this story" or portray this character "right accurate way".

To me, that annoys the hell out of me more then anything. In my opinion the only thing that matters about a movie based on a comic, remake, or anything else is IS IT ENTERTAINING? That's all I care about. It's pointless to nitpick over every little change, what's the point in going to the movies if your going to frustrate yourself by obsessing over it?

So what if they change things from the comic or use this story instead of this? If I like what I see, I don't really care what they change so long as its not a complete and total departure from the source material. Does it really matter if they change a few things if in the long run you enjoy the movie? I mean why can't you just enjoy something for what it is?

The way I see it, if I don't feel like I wasted my time at the theaters, that's all the satisfaction I need. I don't need perfect carbon copies of comic books or anything else to enjoy a movie based on comic which usually ends up having material, stories, and characters that just won't work in the movie universe no matter how you slice it and sometimes, the material isn't that good.

People complain like how movies aren't more accurate. Well since when does accuracy translate to quality? The new Peter Pan movie with Jason Isaacs that came out a few years ago was supposedly (or so i heard) totally accurate to the original Pan story, I thought it was boring as hell! Or "The Client" with Tommy Lee Jones, supposedly its really close to a book of the same name.

I didn't care about the movie because the characters, story put me to sleep. It doesn't matter the movie was or wasn't accurate to the book, the point is I didn't like what I saw and I didn't feel entertained. I'd rather be entertained by something that's inaccurate to a source material then be bored by something that is accurate and just flat out not interesting to see.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:21 AM   #904
Nathander
The Best Character on the Show

Hairgel!  

Send a message via AIM to Nathander

Fanboys:

By this, I mean the fans of anything. I know that sounds incredibly hypocritical, but fanboys (or girls) tend to irritate me due to the fact that they will, ultimately, believe their ideas of something to be completely correct. Especially irritating is when one group of fans decides to battle other groups of fans over certain issues that really don't need to be fought over. The problem is that there are always these fan groups, no matter which fandom. Hell, there are obvious groups within the Fosters fandom, and the constant whining of one group is what basically drove me from the fandom for awhile. I know people, of course, will always have differing opinions, but I don't think they need to act as volatile as they due over something as absurd as a fictional fandom, whether it be the series itself or the characters they idolize.

People Who Are Unable to Understand that their Subjective Opinion does not Affect the Objective Quality of a Work of Art:

Being a major in literary studies, this is something that hideously bothers me. People are entitled to their opinions, but their opinions as to whether or not they like something does not change the objective quality of something. You can like something that's utter trash, while hating something that's a work of art. There's nothing to be ashamed of, per se; it's simply that you like something that does not, necessarily, add up very well to the critical guidelines of a work of art; and let's be honest: we all like SOME things that others would consider (and are) crap.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:49 PM   #905
koosie
Moon-Calf

It was just imagination  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marshmallow View Post
In regards to something similar to that, another thing that ticks me off is "comic book fans". Not fans in general, just the ones who constantly whine, piss and moan etc
Ok look at this another way. Imagine you're a comic book writer who writes a lavish, complex drama ( Let's call it for example' The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen') in your own medium which you want people to read, so you have to give it to publishers who then sell your story to some drug-addled imagination-starved money-farmers who's tame scriptwriters alter the plot, add and remove characters then turn your ideas into a pile of excretement that's little more than a vehicle for some overrated bloated ego from the past.

So when you tell people that you wrote 'The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' you know their heads are going to filled with hackneyed imagery that bears no relation to your own work. Surely that would tick you off?

Aw....Snicket

Last edited by koosie; 01-01-2008 at 02:55 PM. Reason: speling
koosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:45 PM   #906
Nathander

Hairgel!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by koosie View Post
Ok look at this another way. Imagine you're a comic book writer who writes a lavish, complex drama ( Let's call it for example' The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen') in your own medium which you want people to read, so you have to give it to publishers who then sell your story to some drug-addled imagination-starved money-farmers who's tame scriptwriters alter the plot, add and remove characters then turn your ideas into a pile of excretement that's little more than a vehicle for some overrated bloated ego from the past.

So when you tell people that you wrote 'The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' you know their heads are going to filled with hackneyed imagery that bears no relation to your own work. Surely that would tick you off?
I could not have said this better myself. Thank you, sir.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:57 AM   #907
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

The latest antics of Britney Spears:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080104/.../people_spears

As much as this woman's antics over the past few years have fracked me off, I'm really starting to feel sorry for her. For the moment I'm reserving most of my sympathy for her kids, but still... I don't know. It's a sad situation for all involved.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.

Last edited by Cassini90125; 06-02-2009 at 11:29 PM.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:45 AM   #908
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

I really can't bring myself to have any sympathy for that woman at all. Her kids on the other hand... If she continues to keep them near her while she speeds down her road of self destruction then they are going to be pretty screwed up.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:14 AM   #909
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by koosie View Post

Considering I never had a problem with the movie itself, I don't find that really adequate for me to relate to. Furthermore, then he should not have agreed to selling it into a movie because in truth, there are NO guarantees any comic book will be a hit when turned into a movie. It's a very, very, VERY big risk.

Look at Hellboy, talk about a totally unknown not so famous comic and the movie turned out excellent and was a big success. It was a risky comic to bring but it turned out all right but like I said, there was no guarantee it was going to be one. Nothing in art, media, or film is ever 100% sure fire.

But more accurately my point about comic fans was there inexcusable asinine stubbornness to let the smallest and slightest change keep them from enjoying a movie. When someone tells me they can't enjoy X-men because they think Hugh Jackman is too tall to be Wolverine, I already know their's a stick up that person's ass.

To me, that is the pinnacle or stupidity and moronic thinking to cut down and bash an entire movie for something as insanely insignificant as height. Unless Wolverine is a midget with a bald head and is from China, there's no reason to complain about being different. Besides, comic books can't be perfect copies.

No one wants to see the exact same thing and know exactly everything that is going to happen. You need changes in character development, story development, and use of stories. X-men would have NEVER worked in outer space for the Phoenix saga, NEVER, not with the way these movies set up this universe.

It made total sense to go to the Dark Phoenix saga because no one would have bought the outer space alien trip visit, even though I am well aware that is more chronological ordered in the X-men comics. But like I said, it doesn't mean it will always work and like I also said, I don't want a repeat of the same thing.

That's why people complained about the remake of The Omen, because it was EXACTLY like the original, there were little to no differences in it. I'm a die hard Dragon Ball fan and I've been tracking the progress of the new LIVE American movie they are making and while I already have heard some things have been changed, I'm gonna give this movie a chance before I knock it because "this guy wasn't tall enough" or some crap like that.

Last edited by Mr. Marshmallow; 01-04-2008 at 09:16 AM.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:57 AM   #910
Nathander

Hairgel!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marshmallow View Post
Considering I never had a problem with the movie itself, I don't find that really adequate for me to relate to. Furthermore, then he should not have agreed to selling it into a movie because in truth, there are NO guarantees any comic book will be a hit when turned into a movie. It's a very, very, VERY big risk.
Moore never did; his publisher does. When your published by a company, the company basically gets licensing rights while you can usually keep writing what you want. Also, you not having a problem with a movie doesn't mean it wasn't a flawed movie, and people have the right to complain about it just like you have the right to complain about the things you complain about.

Quote:
Look at Hellboy, talk about a totally unknown not so famous comic and the movie turned out excellent and was a big success. It was a risky comic to bring but it turned out all right but like I said, there was no guarantee it was going to be one. Nothing in art, media, or film is ever 100% sure fire.
No one has ever said this. You're making gigantic assumptions.

Quote:
But more accurately my point about comic fans was there inexcusable asinine stubbornness to let the smallest and slightest change keep them from enjoying a movie. When someone tells me they can't enjoy X-men because they think Hugh Jackman is too tall to be Wolverine, I already know their's a stick up that person's ass.
No offense Marshmallow, but I have a hard time honestly giving you serious consideration with this point when you've also been complaining about the Joker's makeup. That's basically the exact same thing about those arguing about Hugh Jackman's height.

Quote:
To me, that is the pinnacle or stupidity and moronic thinking to cut down and bash an entire movie for something as insanely insignificant as height.
Very few people do this.

Quote:
You need changes in character development, story development, and use of stories.
I agree with the last two, but completely against the first. If you mess with character development, you essentially change the character, and if you're going to change the character, don't bother using that character because it's no longer the actual character.

You make good arguments a lot of the time, but you tend to rant and become a lot like the fanatics you villify, M.

As for things that tick me off:

The Illiterate:

By this I don't necessarily mean just those who can't read, but those who can and don't. Now, I'm not saying people should read all the time, but I honestly find reading to be a more entertaining practice then watching visual medium. But, then again, that's just me.