Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Other Entertainment

Notices

Other Entertainment Discuss other television programs as well as movies, music, books, comic books, games, etc.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:47 AM   #671
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

I just watched Jackie Chan's First Strike. A fun movie to help kill the Saturday afternoon lull. I also seen Cars for the fist time a few days ago. I can't believe I let that one go under my radar for so long.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:24 AM   #672
Ditchy McAbandonpants
At Home

Sorry, you must have me confused with some other Harrier jet.  

Hot Fuzz

Maybe it's due to the fact that I've been away from the UK for so long, but I've really been going nuts for idiosyncratically British things recently (I ADORED Flushed Away); as such, I had a total blast with Hot Fuzz. People describe it as a "cop movie spoof", but that doesn't quite capture it for me, because it's so affectionate towards its target, and plays it so straight at times, that it's really more of a cop movie homage or tribute. Moreover, over the course of the movie it often channels quite a few other genres; British police shows like The Bill, Agatha Christie mysteries, even Wicker Man-esque horror and Scream-style slasher movies (some of the gore in this is so OTT it's actually funny). It sounds like a ludicrous hodgepodge, and to an extent it is, but it actually works, mostly thanks to the great script and perfectly judged central performances by Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, with Timothy Dalton chipping in as an amusingly cartoonish villain. Then there's the Englishness...even leaving aside the fact that almost every role is played by a top British comedy star (I was very impressed with the triple whammy of Martin Freeman, Steve Coogan and Bill Nighy near the opening, and I'm impressed by Bill Bailey in any context ), I just can't convey how happy it made this homesick expat to see a full-on Michael Bay-style shootout taking place in a branch of Somerfield (one of the UK's least glamorous and mundane supermarket chains, and that's saying something ), with bullets ripping through jars of Dolmio bolognese sauce and cops smashing villainous thugs through a shelf stacked with Crunchy Nut and Special K cereal.

Heartily recommended, even if you're not English, but particularly if you are. I've not seen Shaun of the Dead, but I feel I probably ought to now...

Last edited by Ditchy McAbandonpants; 05-13-2007 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Bolo Zenden.
Ditchy McAbandonpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 02:15 PM   #673
montitech
Foster's Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medikor View Post
I just watched Jackie Chan's First Strike. A fun movie to help kill the Saturday afternoon lull. I also seen Cars for the fist time a few days ago. I can't believe I let that one go under my radar for so long.

I also just saw cars last week, it was a good break to watch, but a bit hard to get into. I found it easier to watch a second time.

I also just watched the original Cook and Moore verison of Bedazzled and Living in Oblivion.
Bedazzled was great (as it is every time I watch it.) very British Humor. Living in Oblivion was a bit strange, and one of those independent type movies. I liked it but I would not recomend it. but I would rewatch it some day, its kind of a day in the life type of movie. with the funny looking guy, "you know like funny looking" from Fargo.

Monty

Last edited by montitech; 05-13-2007 at 02:21 PM.
montitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 02:59 PM   #674
Wendi
sup B)

lol hay sir.  

LOL MEET THE ROBINSONS

for the eighth time LOL

omg...
Wendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:16 PM   #675
frankie_fan
Resident Movie Buff

But that's another show  

Night At The Museum on DVD.

Another great movie. My mum is watching it now. I just had to watch the tyre scene again.
frankie_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:46 PM   #676
Pawbah
my brother's keeper

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us  

Children of Men. Good film, very sad though.

<Click!
Pawbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:43 PM   #677
AerostarMonk
Holy Toledo!

Just try to relax and I'll try not to steal from you.  

Send a message via AIM to AerostarMonk Send a message via MSN to AerostarMonk Send a message via Yahoo to AerostarMonk

28 Weeks Later

I must say what a fantastic film. Rarely does a sequel equal or surpass its predecessor, but 28 Weeks later rose to the challenge. It even survived what is also thought of as a kiss of death for a franchise, full cast and crew change. And just when you think you have the movie pegged it turns on you, and the weirdest thing about it is that even though you expect it you're still surprised.

I recommend that anyone who's a fan of decent horror or the original film check this movie out.
AerostarMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:27 PM   #678
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

The Grudge 2

A favorite horror series of mine and like "the Ring" is one of the few franchises that actually manage to give me the creeps. I'm one of the few people I know that actually enjoyed this movie, and didn't find it as "terrible" as others saw it.

I enjoyed the mixing storylines and it's always neat for me to find a horror movie that actually does make you think once in a while. Very eye pleasing cast, and while some scenes seemed a bit poorly acted, overall I was satisfied.

Also, the scene with the school principal and "there right here" quote is in my opinion, the scariest scene of the film. I still get freaked out thinking about it and I've never had a movie image burn so deeply into my mind as that one.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:19 AM   #679
Ditchy McAbandonpants
At Home

Sorry, you must have me confused with some other Harrier jet.  

Unhappy Teen Titans Go! Oh, they've gone...

Teen Titans: Trouble in Tokyo

I finished watching this a couple of hours ago, and for reasons I can't fully explain, it's left me feeling really depressed and empty. I guess it was unavoidable that I would feel awful about saying goodbye to this universe and these interpretations of the characters, to whom I grew really attached, but the fact remains even on its own merits I didn't enjoy the movie as much as I might have liked.

It's partially my own fault, I realise; I've worked my way through the episodes with reckless speed over the last week, and I approached the movie a little burned out, especially given the lacklustre, diluted nature of the fifth season. Even so, the movie just wasn't what it should have been. It was a decent, fun adventure with some nice action and humour (personal fave: Raven and the Happy Twinkle Donkey Gum ), but this was a series send-off, following on from the complex and melancholy (yet maddeningly unfulfilling) final episode "Things Change"; I would have loved to see them try and attempt something with the maturity and scope of such other WB DC DTV efforts (woah, acronym overload) as Batman: Mask of the Phantasm or Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker to wrap things up properly. That might seem like a big ask for a "kids' show", but people forget that Teen Titans was a show more than capable of intelligent and emotionally involving stories (as episodes like "Apprentice", "Haunted", "Aftershock" and "The End" proved), so to see them settle here for a fairly disposable, run-of-the-mill adventure story that provided very little satisfying closure was disappointing. Even taking it as a routine action-adventure, Trouble in Tokyo still gets trumped on most counts by its WB stablemate The Batman vs. Dracula; generally I take Teen Titans to be the more focused and smarter of the two shows, but whereas The Batman's production team really went for broke, taking advantage of the extended runtime to make a stylish, cinematic film, Tokyo felt uninspired and by-the-numbers, playing like an extended (and somewhat padded) TV episode. Which, again, given the significance of the film, is a big letdown.

Then there was Robin and Starfire...now, I concede that this is more of a subjective perception, but even though I had been fairly positive about the idea of those two finally, uh, gettin' jiggy with it , I have to say that I wasn't ultimately that satisfied with the way they chose to realise it. See, I love (loveloveLOVE) Starfire, but for me she was always at her best when the writers handled her with a light, quirky and slightly self-deprecating touch; play her too straight (like they did for much of Season Five), and she starts drifting towards becoming a passive, blank and even bland stock heroine. What I loved about this romance angle in the series is how awkwardly and sweetly humorously it played out, thus playing to Starfire's strengths and bringing out humour and insecurity in the normally stoic Robin (her raging jealousy in "Date With Destiny", his clunking miscommunication in "Stranded", her adorable pining in "The Quest"); whilst there were scenes here that retained that lighthearted spirit (notably Robin and Starfire's copious breathmint consumption before their first aborted kiss attempt), the big final kiss scene, what with the ambient rain, the deep looks and pseudo-soulful dialogue, played too much like any old "guy gets the girl" moment, and lacked the sweet, slightly off-kilter personality that had defined and made those characters and their relationship up to that point...

Oh well...sorry I took so long there, but I feel a little better now that I've got all my thoughts out. It's just that I really grew fond of Robin, Starfire, Cyborg, Beast Boy and Raven; I guess I'm just a bit bummed out that I had to say goodbye to them on terms that I wasn't that happy with.
Ditchy McAbandonpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:42 PM   #680
some guy you dont know
Just a Poor Boy

Location: some building in some city of some state in some country.
Send a message via AIM to some guy you dont know

the outsiders

you know, based on the book? its ok, but like everything else, its not as good as the book. it seemed kinda short compared to the story if you ask me.

oh yeah, btw. why were there kids in the ABANDONED church anyway?

Last edited by some guy you dont know; 05-17-2007 at 01:53 PM.
some guy you dont know is offline   Reply With Quote