Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Other Entertainment

Notices

Other Entertainment Discuss other television programs as well as movies, music, books, comic books, games, etc.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:41 PM   #551
Jabberwocky
Permanent Resident
I could be violet sky!  

Send a message via AIM to Jabberwocky Send a message via MSN to Jabberwocky Send a message via Yahoo to Jabberwocky Send a message via Skype™ to Jabberwocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by AerostarMonk View Post
Why all the brainhurt?
Plotholes, plotholes, plotholes. Raphael and Leonardo were like the only two in it, it seemed like the other characters were just there so people wouldn't ask what they were doing. The CGed people looked weird, their eyes took up two thirds of their face. Did I mention plotholes? Cause the plot really made no sense. Like, Thomas and the Magic Railroad no sense.

Foot odor and butt cream. Urgh. I want that $7.50 back, I could buy some copic markers and a snickers bar.

Last edited by Jabberwocky; 03-25-2007 at 03:42 PM.
Jabberwocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 04:30 PM   #552
AerostarMonk
Holy Toledo!

Just try to relax and I'll try not to steal from you.  

Send a message via AIM to AerostarMonk Send a message via MSN to AerostarMonk Send a message via Yahoo to AerostarMonk

Ah, I see. I'm a Turtles fan myself, and I've really been looking forward to this film. However I hear it takes it cues from the previous continuties, and I'm of those blasphemous people who actually prefers the '03 series. I'll still give it a look being the completist that I am. I hope I have fun.
AerostarMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 04:40 PM   #553
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
Plotholes, plotholes, plotholes. Raphael and Leonardo were like the only two in it, it seemed like the other characters were just there so people wouldn't ask what they were doing. The CGed people looked weird, their eyes took up two thirds of their face. Did I mention plotholes? Cause the plot really made no sense. Like, Thomas and the Magic Railroad no sense.
TMNT was in fact the last movie I saw, and I got a huge freaking kick out of it and I am hear to clearify this misconception. Raph and Leo being the focus is NOT A SURPRISE! The very first turtles movie followed the same format, their issue was the focus so therefor, they were the ones who needed focusing on.

I didn't mind the CG people and the plotholes is a very hollow point. The plot was different yes, but it ties in perfectly with all of the prior turtles film. The ending scene with Splinter's little "souvenir shelf" is proof of that, not to mention them reminding us quite a few times that Shredder is DEAD.

Which he is since the second movie. The fact this movie ties into all 3 turtles films shows to me real dedication and considering they went to the trouble to include the god awful 3rd movie to prove their connection to the legacy, that to me takes guts. I enjoyed, loved, and was intriuged with this movie.

The plot for this film is no crazier or weirder then any of the countless weird ass plots the turtles cartoon show went through. Krang alone speaks for himself. If you liked the turtles movies or the show, trust me, you will like TMNT. It's NO kiddie movie, and I cannot tell you how happy I was to find that out.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:49 PM   #554
Pawbah
my brother's keeper

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marshmallow View Post
TMNT was in fact the last movie I saw, and I got a huge freaking kick out of it and I am hear to clearify this misconception. Raph and Leo being the focus is NOT A SURPRISE! The very first turtles movie followed the same format, their issue was the focus so therefor, they were the ones who needed focusing on.

I didn't mind the CG people and the plotholes is a very hollow point. The plot was different yes, but it ties in perfectly with all of the prior turtles film. The ending scene with Splinter's little "souvenir shelf" is proof of that, not to mention them reminding us quite a few times that Shredder is DEAD.

Which he is since the second movie. The fact this movie ties into all 3 turtles films shows to me real dedication and considering they went to the trouble to include the god awful 3rd movie to prove their connection to the legacy, that to me takes guts. I enjoyed, loved, and was intriuged with this movie.

The plot for this film is no crazier or weirder then any of the countless weird ass plots the turtles cartoon show went through. Krang alone speaks for himself. If you liked the turtles movies or the show, trust me, you will like TMNT. It's NO kiddie movie, and I cannot tell you how happy I was to find that out.
Thank You. I enjoyed the film. However, I love Raph and I was happy that the film was focusing on him and Leo. If they make another one maybe it will open up a little to the other characters. I definetly thought it could be better, but they did a fine job with it. I Believe that the guys who made this movie do have some guts and I tip my hat to them.

<Click!
Pawbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:08 PM   #555
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawbah View Post
I definetly thought it could be better, but they did a fine job with it. I Believe that the guys who made this movie do have some guts and I tip my hat to them.
The only thing I felt disappointed on was the use of the new villain mutants. There was a total of 13 monsters but only about 3 of them actually got a decent amount of air time. I felt they rushed the monsters capture way too quickly and I'd rather have seen them more then the stone generals.

And Paw since I can clearly tell your a Turtles fan and a fan of this movie, you'll be happy to know that they have made plans for a sequel if they decide to make one. Not surprising though, the ending already hinted at what their next plotline is possibly going to be:
Spoiler Below
Shredder's return

If that plot holds out to be true, then I will for sure get my ass over to the theaters and see it first day .

Last edited by Mr. Marshmallow; 03-26-2007 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:59 PM   #556
Pawbah
my brother's keeper

Yeah, I figured that. They even hinted at it in the movie. That would be incredibly awesome. Bring on the next TMNT movie! I'm ready.

<Click!
Old 03-28-2007, 05:17 PM   #557
Jabberwocky
Permanent Resident
I could be violet sky!  

Send a message via AIM to Jabberwocky Send a message via MSN to Jabberwocky Send a message via Yahoo to Jabberwocky Send a message via Skype™ to Jabberwocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marshmallow View Post

I like TMNT, just not this movie.

By plotholes, I wasn't talking about the movie in relation to any other movie that's come out in the past; I meant the nonsense with the alternate dimension and the monsters and the stone people. It. Made. No. Sense.
Spoiler Below
How did the guy suddenly bring the stone people to life? If the monsters were plaguing the earth for 3000 years, how come no one noticed them before? Why were they only running around on that one day? Why did it make one guy immortal and everybody else a statue? I know this is a movie about giant talking turtles, but the whole thing seemed so out of place, like that new Sonic game with the Final Fantasy looking characters and machine guns. What was with Mr. Whatever at the end where he's standing there talking perfectly normally and then levitates and turns into dust? I was so lost.

Admittedly, I was half asleep through most of it, so I must have missed something?? I don't know. I just had no idea what was going on other than they had to fight the monsters and yatta yatta yatta. It seemed really convoluted and rushed and more like something you'd expect to see in a Christopher Paolini novel than a Turtles movie.

The movie made me laugh, and yeah, I love the turtles... but the plot, just, what?

Plus I hate the CG people.
Jabberwocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:34 PM   #558
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Blade II

and

Brazil
Old 03-28-2007, 10:39 PM   #559
Pawbah
my brother's keeper

Yeah the CG people were freaky looking and I totally understand what you're saying about the monsters. Where were they for the past 3000 years?
I have no idea and I guess I didn't really care. I was so psyched that the turtles were on the big screen that I didn't need a plot. It could have been about the turtles hanging out watching Day time television and I would have still thought it was the great....

I didn't mind the look of the people too much because I knew Imagi made this movie for under $40 million. Which is half of what it takes to make a pixar movie. So I knew right away that some of the animation wouldn't impress me. I'm still hoping for a sequel (hopefully with a new writer and a bigger budget).

<Click!
Old 03-30-2007, 08:20 AM   #560
Ditchy McAbandonpants
At Home

Sorry, you must have me confused with some other Harrier jet.  

Thumbs up T-U-R-T-L-E power.

So: TMNT. As I said in the Turtles thread, I was a big fan of the old-school Turtles back in the day, and this movie intrigued me. Was it all I'd hoped for? Well, notwithstanding the fact that, because I'm stuck in China right now, I had to watch it on a somewhat grainy pirate copy whose audio kept drifting in and out of sync, I thought it was...not great, but quite good. Its primary problem, I felt, was a degree of indecision as to what it wanted to be and where it wanted to go. As a result, we had scenes with a Saturday morning cartoon feel, scenes with a kung fu movie feel, scenes with a dark comic book feel, scenes with a fantasy epic feel, and surprise surprise, said scenes didn't really gel. It was a problem that extended into the scripting and characterisation; there were an awful lot of characters in there who felt like unfinished sketches of more fully-formed characters from contrasting movies, no-one more noticeably so than the horribly underwritten April and Casey. Plus there's the fact that the plot really made no particular sense, for the reasons that Jabberwocky outlined.

Nevertheless, I did think there was a lot to recommend about it, probably just about enough to outweigh the bad stuff. For starters, if you forget the unappealing human designs, it's a lovely-looking film that really belies its relatively low budget, and that's due not just to technology, but also to some good aesthetic design and some really stylish action direction. The production values extended over into the audio, too, with one of Klaus Badelt's better scores and an accomplished voice cast who did their best with often undercooked parts. It was particularly good to see the number of dedicated voice actors getting parts here, particularly Kevin Michael Richardson (General Aquila in the film; Uncle Pockets and Foul Larry to us ), whilst the "Additional Voices" credits were basically a who's who of my favourite voice actors (Phil LaMarr, Grey DeLisle, Jess Harnell, Jeff Bennett, Jim Cummings, Tara Strong, Billy West, Jennifer Hale... ).

Most importantly, though, they got the Turtles right. Despite all the plot fudging going on elsewhere, I felt the filmmakers got the emotional journey of the TMNT themselves (and their relationship with Mako's wonderful Splinter) just right, and the plot strand was used well enough and prominently enough to shine through the rest. Well, maybe they weren't just right; Michaelangelo's character was pitched too young, seeming like a mid-teen to his brothers' young adults, whilst the very likeable Donatello was sadly underused. Leonardo and Raphael, however, were dead-on, particularly Raphael with his wilder eyes, darker design and Nolan North's gruff and huskily accented voice. The ongoing feud between them was by far the movie's most interesting dimension, and, of course, it gave rise to the one scene in the film where all of its positive elements came together and, for a few minutes, the film transcended all its flaws and spoke to the Turtles-loving kid in my heart. You all know which scene I mean.

As we've all seen, the film made it quite big on opening weekend. Thanks to its lower budget it ought to be in profit quite quickly, and quick profits make a sequel seem likely; this film's ending hinted, Batman Begins-style, at what we might expect from the next one (though how it would work, I'm not sure...???). If we do get another one from this team, I would be willing to see it; if they could only clear their heads, focus their narrative, and remember one rain-soaked rooftop battle, we might yet get the Turtles movie of our dreams.

Last edited by Ditchy McAbandonpants; 03-31-2007 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Typos. Always typos.
Ditchy McAbandonpants is offline   Reply With Quote