Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 08-07-2007, 07:55 AM   #521
Ccook50
Foster's Legend

Don't forget to turn left at Greenland  

The people in the South here are especially bad about saying "huh?" to everything said to them. It's as if they're not paying attention or not listening--it certainly can't be a hearing problem. And it drives me crazy. (I'm a SoCal native.)
Old 08-08-2007, 02:25 PM   #522
Ub3rD4n
Foster's Legend

40% pretention, 60% insecurity, 0% brains  

Location: The only place more isolated than Iceland. New Zealand

That would get annoying. Also, I have no idea where Socal is. Unless that means Southern California. To add to this topic: people who misuse the word "literally". I mean, you don't really know what that means, do you? You just use it to emphasise your statement, and for those of us who DO know what it means, it's really grating.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:20 AM   #523
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

Angry

Part of my daily routine, insofar as I have one, is that I like to go out to one of the local mini-markets, grab a couple of Powerball tickets and a diet Coke, and head to a nearby bench, where I sit quietly, watch traffic, and let my mind wander. Usually I'm alone; occasionally someone joins me, as the bench is also a bus stop, but most of the time it's just me. Today was different, however, as I soon got some unwelcome company. A woman in her late 50's drove past, looked at me, and pulled into the vacant parking lot behind the bench. She got out of the car and approached me; I assumed that she needed directions so I'm calling up in my mind all my knowledge of the local area. The woman reached me, said hi, and did not ask for directions, no; instead, she begins trying to convert me to her belief system. Instant resentment on my part. I told her repeatedly that I was not in the slightest bit interested, go away and leave me alone. She persisted, not caring at all that she was really pissing me off and oblivious to the rising tide of anger in my voice. What is it with these people? Are they somehow unfamiliar with the concept of "no means no"? I ended up yelling at her and I was not polite about it; the time for politeness had long since passed. And still she continued; "What's wrong? Why are you upset? Is there something troubling you in your life?" Unbelievable. I told her point-blank that my life was fine, thank you, what was troubling me was that she was harrassing me, that she was continuing to badger me on a subject which I had repeatedly told her was of no interest to me and that I did not wish to discuss, now would you please go away and leave me in peace!?!? She stopped for a moment; I thought at that point I would get an apology and a withdrawl. Instead, I got the straw that broke the camel's back. "Sir, if you could open your heart-" At that point I lost it. Enough is enough. I gave my diet Coke a good hard shake and blasted her right in the face with it. After the shock wore off, then it was her turn to be angry and upset; "You son of a b****!", she yelled. "Now do you get it?!?!" I yelled back. She got it. After a moment's pause she got back in her car and sped away.

A lot of you are probably thinking that I was out of line, that I behaved badly, or that I should have left the scene or tried to reason with her more. I submit that that is rubbish. I was the one being harrassed and aggravated, and I made it very clear that I wanted her to leave me alone, but she refused to do so and persisted in her harrassment for some time. As far as I'm concerned, she got what she was asking for. I'm sorry that it happened, but I'm not sorry that I did it. Everybody has their breaking point.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 11:54 AM   #524
kageri
Polkameister

FORTY-SEVEN, YES. I MEAN TWO.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassini90125 View Post
I gave my diet Coke a good hard shake and blasted her right in the face with it.
And somewhere out there, a two-foot-nothin' Imaginary Friend is cheering.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:36 PM   #525
taranchula
Agent: Deep Bloo

You guys have your red headed cartoon crushes and I have mine!  

Send a message via MSN to taranchula Send a message via Yahoo to taranchula

Maybe you know she had some kind of deal going that if she made ten converts that day she would get a free sandwich, and I guess she reeeeeeeeeeally wanted that sandwich.

But yeah in all seriousness, egads man, there is no need to be that pushy for any reason what so ever. You say "thanks, but no thanks" she moves on, end of story. But I guess such simple concepts still elude most people.

taranchula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 12:46 PM   #526
koosie
Moon-Calf

It was just imagination  

It's the only thing worth doing with diet coke. Maybe throwing the tin/bottle at her would have also been a good example of recycling resources.

Aw....Snicket
koosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 08:02 PM   #527
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

Man, Cass, I'm sorry you had to deal with that. Why don't some people realize that to convert others to their faith isn't to rub it in their faces, but just live as an example?? No one get's hurt, or annoyed, or turned off that way. Ugh, hypocrites! I personally would't have sprayed the Coke in her face, but everyone does have their breaking point. I can't blame you for it. And it did make for an amusing story.

What ticks me off is people coming into work complaining what a horrible company we have, and yelling at me (or my associates) as if it's all our fault, and we're the one's who made the conciance decision to make the company the way it is and blah, blah, blah, blahbity blah blah melarchy! I want to yell at them "You know what dude? We hear you! But instead of telling us off, please, tell this to corporate so they can see that it's not only their employees they're screwing over, but the customers as well! Maybe we'll all be happier!" Why do so many people still seem to think a multi-million dollar corporation is still locally owned like a Mom-and-Pop company? Grrrrrrr.....
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 08:46 PM   #528
frankie_fan
Resident Movie Buff

But that's another show  

What ticks me off is when people pronounce my last name as 'Robinson', not 'Robertson'! It really annoys me!
frankie_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 09:15 PM   #529
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassini90125 View Post
Part of my daily routine, insofar as I have one, is that I like to go out to one of the local mini-markets, grab a couple of Powerball tickets and a diet Coke, and head to a nearby bench, where I sit quietly, watch traffic, and let my mind wander. Usually I'm alone; occasionally someone joins me, as the bench is also a bus stop, but most of the time it's just me. Today was different, however, as I soon got some unwelcome company. A woman in her late 50's drove past, looked at me, and pulled into the vacant parking lot behind the bench. She got out of the car and approached me; I assumed that she needed directions so I'm calling up in my mind all my knowledge of the local area. The woman reached me, said hi, and did not ask for directions, no; instead, she begins trying to convert me to her belief system. Instant resentment on my part. I told her repeatedly that I was not in the slightest bit interested, go away and leave me alone. She persisted, not caring at all that she was really pissing me off and oblivious to the rising tide of anger in my voice. What is it with these people? Are they somehow unfamiliar with the concept of "no means no"? I ended up yelling at her and I was not polite about it; the time for politeness had long since passed. And still she continued; "What's wrong? Why are you upset? Is there something troubling you in your life?" Unbelievable. I told her point-blank that my life was fine, thank you, what was troubling me was that she was harrassing me, that she was continuing to badger me on a subject which I had repeatedly told her was of no interest to me and that I did not wish to discuss, now would you please go away and leave me in peace!?!? She stopped for a moment; I thought at that point I would get an apology and a withdrawl. Instead, I got the straw that broke the camel's back. "Sir, if you could open your heart-" At that point I lost it. Enough is enough. I gave my diet Coke a good hard shake and blasted her right in the face with it. After the shock wore off, then it was her turn to be angry and upset; "You son of a b****!", she yelled. "Now do you get it?!?!" I yelled back. She got it. After a moment's pause she got back in her car and sped away.

A lot of you are probably thinking that I was out of line, that I behaved badly, or that I should have left the scene or tried to reason with her more. I submit that that is rubbish. I was the one being harrassed and aggravated, and I made it very clear that I wanted her to leave me alone, but she refused to do so and persisted in her harrassment for some time. As far as I'm concerned, she got what she was asking for. I'm sorry that it happened, but I'm not sorry that I did it. Everybody has their breaking point.
LMFAO

You were justified, hell yes!

I would've asked her if she'd heard the Good Word of Nihilism: God is dead, morals are null and void, etc. might have given the impending coke-shower a philosophical foreshadowing

edit: i usually don't get people like that talking to me (or making eye contact, for that matter) I look a bit...rough...i usually get insults yelled from moving cars. Yeah. You never say it to my FACE you wimps!

Last edited by Partymember; 08-12-2007 at 09:19 PM.
Partymember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 11:30 PM   #530
Ub3rD4n
Foster's Legend

40% pretention, 60% insecurity, 0% brains  

Location: The only place more isolated than Iceland. New Zealand

Cassini, you're absolutely right. Lynnie, you're right too. And Frankie Fan, I feel your pain. I get people constantly mispronouncing my name, and it's not all that hard to remember! Just use an "a" instead of an "e", people! I'm not gonna reveal my last name for privacy sake, but if you knew, you'd understand how annoyed I am. I'm not a person with an obscure or inpronouncable name, I'm a guy with an easy name that people JUST CAN'T SEEM TO GET RIGHT! I know, Cassini's subject is probably more important, but I guess pet peeves come first.