Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Characters > Imaginary Friends

Notices

Imaginary Friends Discuss the main imaginary characters: Bloo, Wilt, Eduardo, Coco, Mr. Herriman, Duchess, and Cheese.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:55 PM   #31
InsaneFan
Foster's Legend
It's time for Animaniacs!  

Send a message via AIM to InsaneFan

ACK! Why haven't I visited this thread yet!? Stupid busy schedule and stupid me...

Yes. Herriman is SPIFFIN'. Not much more to say, ha. You guys already said a lot.

So...Herriman is popcorn. *inside joke'd*
Old 10-26-2006, 01:39 PM   #32
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

I don't know if this has been brought up before, but since I haven't seen it, I decided to mention it.

WHY does Mr. Herriman refer to all the male characters on the show by the title, "Master" So-and-So? According to what I was taught as a child, with regards to title etiquette, you are to refer to a male as "Master" Whatever if he is under 18 years of age, and therefore not legally an adult, and use the title "Mister" once he reaches the age of 18(and beyond). In that case, I can understand Herriman referring to Mac and Bloo as "Master Mac" and "Master Blooregard", since they are just eight and five, respectively, but he also refers to Wilt and Eduardo as "Master Wilt" and "Master Eduardo", when both of them are certainly older than 18! Since Eduardo IS quite childlike, I can almost see using that title when referring to him, but Wilt acts as grown-up as I'd expect most human males of his age to act, so there's really no excuse there. It can't be because they're Imaginary Friends, since Herriman refers to HIMSELF as "MISTER Herriman", and he, too, is just as Imaginary as they are! Is this perhaps a subtle "put-down" of the others, a reminder to them that he's in charge and that their opinions count for nothing, or what?

pitbulllady
pitbulllady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 01:57 PM   #33
LosDosEduardos
Banned
Full Metal Minotaur.  

If he were to refer to a fancharacter I made as "Master Leonardo" or "Master Alphonzo," that would be good.
If I were to come to Foster's, he would refer to me as "Master James." But in my fanfictions, he would refer to me as "Master JRuff."
According to PBL's last post, I should ask why he refers to most of the female characters in the show by the title, "Miss" so and so.
But still, I think Mr. H is quite okay for a rabbit with a good sense of humor.
LosDosEduardos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 02:30 PM   #34
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

I think he's just being overly formal. It's his style, nothing more.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 02:51 PM   #35
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosDosEduardos View Post
If he were to refer to a fancharacter I made as "Master Leonardo" or "Master Alphonzo," that would be good.
If I were to come to Foster's, he would refer to me as "Master James." But in my fanfictions, he would refer to me as "Master JRuff."
According to PBL's last post, I should ask why he refers to most of the female characters in the show by the title, "Miss" so and so.
But still, I think Mr. H is quite okay for a rabbit with a good sense of humor.
Traditionally, the title "Miss" referred to ANY unmarried female, regardless of age, and since none of the female characters on Foster's are married(none of the main characters, anyway, like Coco or Frankie), that would be the proper term. The title of "Ms." is a new thing, denoting an independent adult female, usually single(though not always), and is basically a "side effect" of the Women's Rights movement. "Mrs.", of course, means a married woman, or one who is widowed and has chosen to keep her late husband's surname.

pitbulllady
Old 10-26-2006, 03:37 PM   #36
Invader Bloo
Elder Spam

Teh Merc with teh Mouth  

I liked him in "Big Cheese". His sarcasm to Cheese was so cruel it was funny. I mean Cheese is basically a 4 year old & he's so mean.

Invader Bloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:01 PM   #37
montitech
Foster's Legend

I think MR. H. refers to all Male IF as master because they are all basically treated as minors. even Wilt. and they are all under the care of Fosters House run by himself (thats why he is Mister), Frankie and Madam Foster.

Monty
montitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 07:49 PM   #38
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by montitech View Post
I think MR. H. refers to all Male IF as master because they are all basically treated as minors. even Wilt. and they are all under the care of Fosters House run by himself (thats why he is Mister), Frankie and Madam Foster.

Monty
That's my point-he treats ALL of them, even Wilt, who certainly does not act any more childish than Mr. Herriman does-as if they were minors, minors who are unable to make decisions for themselves. This would be like me calling an adult male co-worker "boy" or "kid". It's a put-down, basically. There is no reason other than to basically state "I'm better than you are" to the other male IF's. Foster's care is basically like that of a homeless shelter, and workers at homeless shelters don't put down men who are unfortunate enough to wind up there.

pitbulllady
Old 10-28-2006, 08:14 PM   #39
kageri
Polkameister

FORTY-SEVEN, YES. I MEAN TWO.  

I think he's just being overly formal and pompous and.... well, Herrimanlike. "Master" sounds more formal and archaic and stuffy and old than "Mister", so perhaps that's why they use it.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:21 PM   #40
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

I agree, that's all it is. I don't hear a put-down in his tone at all.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote