Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Main Board > Episode Discussion

Notices

Episode Discussion Discuss the episodes and their events here.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:21 AM   #11
Starsky
Settling In
Boys becoming men, men becoming wolves!  

"The Trouble With Scribbles" is actually a fairly clever pun on the Star Trek episode "The Trouble With Tribbles". "Hiccy Burp" is a pun on "Hikky Burr", the Bill Cosby Show theme. And the movie pilot, "House Of Bloo's", is a reference to the House Of Blues.

So, guess we're only missing Foster's Goes To Europe. If it is a pun, that is.

Last edited by Starsky; 11-12-2007 at 10:25 AM.
Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:43 AM   #12
BabyCharmander
At Home
Mur?  

Thanks! Didn't know about the Star Trek one. List has been updated. :3

We're missing All Zapped Up, too, though I dunno if that one's a pun on anything, either...
BabyCharmander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:47 AM   #13
TB
At Home
Because I said sooo...  

Send a message via AIM to TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
"The Trouble With Scribbles" is actually a fairly clever pun on the Star Trek episode "The Trouble With Tribbles". "Hiccy Burp" is a pun on "Hikky Burr", the Bill Cosby Show theme. And the movie pilot, "House Of Bloo's", is a reference to the House Of Blues.

So, guess we're only missing Foster's Goes To Europe. If it is a pun, that is.
I had no idea about the Cosby show one. Interesting.

I completely forgot about that Star Trek one.
TB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 12:58 PM   #14
cartman414
At Home

Has too much time on his hands. Er, hooves.  

"Bloo Superdude and the..." sounds like a parody of the "Harry Potter and the..." naming convention.

McCracken and crew have always been great with episode titling, by the way. My favorite would still have to be "Cat Man Do" from the Powerpuff Girls.
cartman414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 01:52 PM   #15
Ccook50
Foster's Legend

Don't forget to turn left at Greenland  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloonuggets View Post
"Challenge of the Super Friends" was indeed the 1972 season of the SuperFriends cartoon series on ABC
Actually, Challenge Of The Superfriends, the cartoon show, is from 1977. Super Friends (original title syntax) first came about in 1973, although Batman and Robin did appear in two 1972 episodes of The New Scooby Doo Movies.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:08 PM   #16
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

Wow, that took a lot of time and effort to record all these BabyCharm, good job.

Personally, the first term I thought of when hearing the title "Infernal Slumber" was "infernal summer", meaning a hot "hellish" summer. I've both heard and said it a number of times throughout my life. So the pun for that title might be interchangeable. Although the term "eternal slumber" does make more sense when compared to the actual episode.

And as for "All Zapped Up", I quickly think of the term "all hyped up", meaning extremely hyper and excited. And that would make sense for the short since that's exactly what Bloo is in it- all excited about all his new found "power" of static electricity.
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:40 PM   #17
bloonuggets
Take a bow, Bloo. You deserve it.

FHfIF: 8/11/04 - 5/3/09  

As far as "Camp Keep A Good Mac Down" it derives from the phrase "(You) Can't Keep A Good Man Down".

Thank you Craig for the ride. We all will miss you.

bloonuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:26 AM   #18
BabyCharmander
At Home
Mur?  

Thanks muchly, guys. I updated the list again.

EDIT: Oh, cool! I'm Settling In! %B

Last edited by BabyCharmander; 11-13-2007 at 03:27 AM.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:49 AM   #19
bloonuggets
Take a bow, Bloo. You deserve it.

FHfIF: 8/11/04 - 5/3/09  

Default Adding explaination for "RFYLMB"

So, let's run through the list with a few additions, shall we?

Episodes
Season One
Store Wars - Taken from the Star Wars series of movies.
The Trouble with Scribbles - Star Trek episode titled "The Trouble with Tribbles."
Busted - A generic pun (as in "broken" and "in trouble," as well as "bust," the type of statue that was broken in the episode.)
Dinner Is Swerved - The phrase "Dinner Is Served."
World Wide Wabbit - World Wide Web, plus the way Elmer Fudd in the Looney Tunes series of cartoons with Bugs Bunny pronounces "rabbit".
Berry Scary - Very Scary, if it were pronounced by Strawberry Shortcake.
Seeing Red - Seeing Red (same phrase, different meaning: "Seeing red" as in being very angry, and "seeing Red" as in seeing the imaginary friend of the same name.)
Phone Home - The signature line of the titular character of 1982's Speilberg film E.T. The Extra Terrestrial.
Who Let the Dogs In? - The Baha Men's one-hit wonder "Who Let the Dogs Out?"
Adoptcalypse Now - Francis Ford Copolla's Vietnam epic Apocalypse Now.
Bloooo - Boooo (the sound a ghost supposedly makes.)

Season Two
Partying Is Such Sweet Soiree - The line from Shakespere's Romeo and Juliet "Parting Is Such Sweet Sorrow."
The Big Lablooski - The Coen Brother's bowling epic The Big Lebowski.
Where There's a Wilt There's a Way - Where There's a Will There's a Way
Everyone Knows It's Bendy - A line from the 1969 song by The Association "Windy."
Sight for Sore Eyes - Exact phrase.
Bloo's Brothers - Dan Akroyd and John Belushi's characters known as "The Blues Brothers", and the self-titled 1980 movie.
Cookie Dough - Generic pun ("Dough" as in "flour or meal combined with water, milk, etc., in a mass for baking into bread" and "money".)
Frankie My Dear - Part of Clark Gable's line in Gone With The Wind "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn."
Mac Daddy - Besides a term for pimping and Mac supposedly Cheese's creator, it comes from the 1990 Kris Kross song "Jump" with the line "Mac Daddy'll make ya jump, jump..."
Squeakerboxxx - Speakerboxxx (The 2003 Outkast album paired with "The Love Below.")
Beat with a Schtick - Beat with a Stick.
The Sweet Stench of Success - Movie and failed Broadway musical The Sweet Smell of Success.
Bye Bye Nerdy - Broadway and movie musical Bye Bye Birdie.
Bloo Done It - Mystery phrase "Whodunit?"
My So Called Wife - Short-lived TV series My So Called Life.

Season Three
Eddie Monster - Eddie Munster of The Munsters.
Hiccy Burp - Hikky Burr, the theme from the 1969-70 TV series The Bill Cosby Show.
Camp Keep a Good Mac Down - The phrase "You Can't Keep a Good Man Down."
Imposter's Home for um... Make 'Em Up Pals - A parody of the show's title.
Duchess of Wails - Duchess of Wales.
Foster's Goes to Europe - No pun.
Go Goo Go - An alliteration (Go, Goo, Go; plus the fact that the name "Goo" looks similar to the word "Go".)
Crime after Crime - Cyndi Laupner's 1985 hit song Time After Time.
Land of the Flea - Line from The Star Spangled Banner "O'er The Land of the Free."
One False Movie - Punning the phrase "One False Move" as well as a movie of the same title.
Setting a President - The legal term Setting a Precedent.
Room with a Feud - Movie title A Room With a View.
Cuckoo for Coco Cards - Ad slogan "Cuckoo for Coco Puffs."

Season Four
Challenge of the Super Friends - SuperFriends 1977-78 season series title.
The Big Picture - The same phrase with different meaning: "the big picture" as in "the whole idea" and basically a giant picture, like the one being taken in the episode.
Squeeze the Day - The term "Seize the day"; also a title of a song from the Disney musical Newsies. The Latin term is Carpe Diem.
Neighbor Pains - The medical term for pregnant women giving berth, "labor pains."
Infernal Slumber - The phrase "Eternal Slumber," a term for passing away.
I Only Have Surprise for You - The 1930's song standard "I Only Have Eyes for You."
Bus the Two of Us - Grover Washington Jr./Bill Withers colaberative song "Just the Two of Us," covered by both Will Smith and Mike Myers (as Dr. Evil.)
The Big Cheese - Exact phrase meaning the person in charge.
Bloo's the Boss - From the 1980's Tony Danza/Alyssa Milano TV series Who's the Boss?
Emancipation Complication - Abraham Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation.
Make Believe It or Not - The famous oddity franchise called Ripley's Believe It or Not.

Season Five
Cheese A Go-Go - 1966 MST3K favorite(?) Monsters a Go-Go.
The Buck Swaps Here - Sign for Harry S Truman on his White House Oval Office desk, "The Buck Stops Here."
Say It Isn't Sew - The quote from a little boy during the imfamous "Black Sox Scandal" of the Chicago White Sox purposely losing the 1919 World Series to the Cincinnati Reds to "Shoeless" Joe Jackson when he asked "Say it isn't so, Joe. Say it isn't so."
Something Old, Something Bloo - Part of the wedding idiom "Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue."
The Bloo Superdude and the Magic Potato of Power - Parody of cheesy movie titles.
Schlock Star - Mark Wahlberg's movie Rock Star.
Bride to Beat - Term for an engaged woman "Bride to be."
Affair Weather Friends - The term "Fair weather friends", who stick together through good times but not bad.
Ticket to Rod - Beatles song "Ticket to Ride."
Better Off Ed - Phrase (and movie) "Better Off Dead"; in addition, the title serves as an tribute to the now defunct CN series "Ed, Edd 'N Eddy," where many of the titles had been punned with "Ed" in them.
The Little Peas - Opposite of "The Big Cheese", of which this story is an alternate perspective.
Let Your Hare Down - Comes from the phrase "Let your hair down", a term to relax.

Season Six
Jackie Khones and The Case of the Overdue Library Books - Parodies the Perry Mason made-for-TV movies from the 1980s.
Mondo Coco - From the 1962 Italian "shockumentary" Mondo Cane, which is the literal translation of "A Dog's Life", hence "Coco's Life".
Pranks for Nothing - Pun off the sarcastic line "Thanks for nothing".
Bloo Tube - Spoof on the popular website YouTube.
Race For Your Life, Mac and Bloo! - Peanuts fans will recognize the title as from the movie "Race For Your Life, Charlie Brown!"
The Bloo Superdude and The Great Creator of Everything's Awesome Ceremony of Fun That He's Not Invited To - Self explainatory.
Bad Dare Day - A pun off the phrase "Bad Hair Day".
Read 'Em and Weep - Phrase to eat crow to.
Fools and Regulations - A pun on the phrase "Rules and Regulations".

Specials
House of Bloo's - Rock and roll restaraunt chain founded by Dan Ackroyd "House of Blues."
A Lost Claus - The phrase "A Lost Cause."
Good Wilt Hunting - Ben Affleck/Matt Damon/Robin Williams movie Good Will Hunting.
Nightmare on Wilson Way - Horror movie franchise Nightmare on Elm Street.
Destination Imagination - None.
Goodbye To Bloo - Puns the 1982 Scandal song (and to a lesser extent, the 1986 Roxette Swedish song) "Goodbye To You."

Shorts
Driving Miss Crazy - Oscar winning movie and play Driving Miss Daisy.
Neighborhood Wash - From the local crime watch group known as "Neighborhood Watch."
All Zapped Up - The phrase "All hyped up."
Bad to the Phone - George Thurgood song "Bad to the Bone."
Truth or Stare - Imfamous Madonna movie documentary Truth or Dare.
Cranks a Lot - From the phrase "Thanks a lot."
A Chore Thing - The phrase "A sure thing."
Hide and Bloo Seek - From the classic kids' game "Hide and Go Seek."
Badvertisement - Punning the phrase "Advertisement."
Give Pizza a Chance - The title of John Lennon's 1970 anti-Vietnam War anthem "Give Peace a Chance."
Drawing Bored - A bit of the old phrase to rework an idea "Back to the old drawing board."
A Fistful of Cereal - Clint Eastwood "Spaghetti Western" classic A Fistful of Dollars.
Petrified Pet - No pun but an alliteration and assonance (petrified, pet.)
Coconuts, Penpal and Here Kitty Kitty - All with the exact phrases.
Birthday Cake Bloos - From the Fifth Dimension 1969 song "Wedding Bell Blues".
Backpack Attack - Not a pun, but a rhyme (backpack, attack.)
Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow - From the phrase "Here today, gone tomorrow."

And all that from my work as the FHFIF editor on tv.com really does pay off.

Thank you Craig for the ride. We all will miss you.

Last edited by bloonuggets; 04-23-2009 at 03:26 AM. Reason: The last addition.
bloonuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 03:45 AM   #20
BabyCharmander
At Home
Mur?  

WOW. @_@ That's way better than my list. Thanks a TON. %D

Though I thought "fair weather friends" referred to people who were only friends when one person felt like playing with the other? (Like... Girl 1 only plays with Girl 2 when there's no one else to play with or if Girl 2 invites Girl 1 over to her house because Girl 2 has a lot of fun toys. But if Girl 1's friends are around, she'll ignore Girl 2. If that makes sense. >>)

Last edited by BabyCharmander; 11-18-2007 at 03:47 AM.