Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Other Entertainment

Notices

Other Entertainment Discuss other television programs as well as movies, music, books, comic books, games, etc.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:20 PM   #11
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

Some of these might not strictly count as horror but here we go, in no particular order:

The Ring
I'd like to say that my favorite horror film is a well-respected or even obscure classic, but no. The American Ring (the first one, the second one was crap IMHO) still scares the hell out of me every time I see it and causes me to fear the TV in my bedroom for several days. I can honestly say that The Ring is the only film I've ever seen that actually *leaves* me scared, it doesn't just scare me while I'm watching it. I was mentally scarred by seeing this movie. Seriously. It's the best. I do own copies of every Ring movie, American, Japanese, and Korean, as well as all the mangas and the novels, and only the American Ring movie really scares me. The Ring 0 does well, but its nothing like the American Ring. period.

Re-Animator
I saw the unedited version of this with GM at a midnight showing downtown one Halloween, and lol. Some gross stuff in there. I keep looking for a DVD of the unedited version with no luck. Anyways this is on my list because West rules and because of the shock factor. The sequels suck but the "Re-Animate Your Feet" song from the last one has made it onto my iPod.

Evil Dead
ALL of these films rule. Especially the second one, and Army of Darkness of course is nothing to sneeze at. And I'm in love with Bruce Campbell there I said it.

Waxwork II
The first one was a snore but the second one is great. They didn't hold back on making fun of themselves which is always a plus.

Bubba Ho-Tep
A mummy in a retirement home. Sucking souls out of people's buttholes. Hunted by Elvis and JFK (if you will). With Bruce Campbell as Elvis. No movie should be made of this much win. I finally scored the soundtrack two days ago too. The end theme is the BEST.

Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
ROTFLMAO. Just...yeah. "I sleep now!"

Tremors
Well, it's a monster movie so I listed it. Some good ole boys go hunting giant worms in the desert. I really love this one. Number two is good too. Then it just got a little out there. But one and two are good.

Bloodsucking Pharaohs In Pittsburgh
Gory but quite funny. The cheesy detective is awesome, I should re-watch this and jot down some of his lines.

Lobster Man from Mars
Narrated by Dr. Demento. Should I even bother saying anything else?

Return of the Living Dead
I admit that I love this movie. The part where dead Frank takes off his wedding ring and voluntarily cremates himself...awesomeness. Say what you will.

The Eye and The Eye 2
Two fantastic films out of China by the Pang brothers (The Eye is an upcoming American remake). Actually completely unrelated plots, I think they only called the second one The Eye 2 to take advantage of the first one's success. Both highly recommended.

The Fly
Both versions, although I prefer the original. Most women in classic horror films are such weenies, I love the scientists' wife in the original Fly. Oh and the trailer scares Kiwi because of the buzzing fly sound effect. So it must really be scary!

This list was compiled only by looking at the DVDs I own, I'm probably forgetting some others I love. I mean, I do like the Child's Play films, and the second one is my favorite although it doesn't get much airtime on TV. I'll probably have to break down and buy them all at some point. There are also individual scenes in films I like without liking the whole movie...like the bit where the British dude gets it in Horror Express and right before he dies he exclaims "You can't kill me! I'm British!" or something like that. That's like, lol?
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:27 PM   #12
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
I admit that I love this movie. The part where dead Frank takes off his wedding ring and voluntarily cremates himself...awesomeness. Say what you will.
I remember when I first saw this movie. It was on the Stars cable movie channel on a freebie weekend giveaway deal they sometimes have, and I was shocked at how freaking cool this movie was. It was the first time anyone really broke the zombie "code of ethics" with "super zombies".

Zombies that could talk, run, and couldn't be killed. This movie is pure, 80s horror fun and I LOVE the music, the soundtrack is so catchy and fitting, it was one of the highlights of the movie for me. The zombies had some really original make up designs, specially the slimy black one with the "More brains" line.

There's a Return of the Living dead 2, 3, 4, and 5. I saw 1-3 and 1 is easily the best. 2 is pretty stupid and 3 had some interesting kills and ideas to mix in but they are essentially all crap. I'm not bothering to go see 4 or 5. The only thing I hated about "Return" was the ending, it was just freaking stupid.

The whole bomb dropping thing, it was like something out of a Bugs Bunny cartoon and it seemed like a cheap way to end everything especially with such a diverse and wide cast range of characters scattered all around.

Last edited by Mr. Marshmallow; 10-28-2007 at 09:28 PM.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:57 PM   #13
Nem
At Home
There's no "I" in team, but there's a "me" if you jumble it up a bit...  

Send a message via AIM to Nem Send a message via MSN to Nem

They.

It's such an odd title, and when a friend told me about it, I was all "...What's it called again?"

It's a movie about these things, they have no name really, so they're just called They, and it scares me so bad, because they can only get you in the dark, so if you turn on a light they run off. They're freaky looking, and terrify me, it's a great movie, I liked it, though it ended in a cliff hanger, I hope a second one is made :[

The Ring. It didn't scare me much, but what did scare me was the beginning, when the first girl died, her body scared me, and then the girl coming out of the TV, the way she walked just...bothered me so much, and plus I have a TV in my room, so yea =P

I'd like to mention Signs and War of the Worlds, even though I guess they might be Sci-Fi? Any alien type creature who has solid black eyes just terrifies me, and the reason for that is because I had nightmares since I was about 3 years old with these alien things (Greys, they're called), and ever since they scared me =P Funny thing is, I'd never seen a picture of one, they just were in my dream, and I called them aliens after hearing a family member talk about life on other planets. I was very surprised when I saw a picture of my nightmare monster on a movie cover when I was older =P

And in case anyone is wondering, I'm not really a believer in the whole alien abduction thing, I just have weird nightmares XD
Nem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:07 AM   #14
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

Army of Darkness is a great movie. I thought it was just another horror flick but I was so wrong. The comedy and imagery really made this movie special.
Signes was a good movie too. It delivered the scares the way I like 'em. It's hard to explain but the best example is when you see the alien walks by in the home video.
That was a piece of masterwork because the scene makes you move closer to the screen to try and see what everyone's looking at and then... about two seconds of a grainy image walking by. That scene never fails to give me a start.
I think what made it work so well was that I could definitely see that being on the news. And the lack of details just made the alien look less like a CGI character and more like a part of the world it was prowling.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:58 AM   #15
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Is no one else here a fan of John Carpenter's The Thing?

On the whole, I'm not a huge horror movie fan...I do like to be emotionally moved by a movie, and I certainly count fear as a form of emotional involvement, but most horror flicks - noteably the slasher variety - just gross me out without persuading me to feel anything else...except maybe contempt for how some of these clueless kids opt to handle their life-threatening situations.

I like the Thing. It genuinely scared me the first time I saw it, but it also has a really fun and exciting storyline which kept me completely caught up in wanting to know more. The Thing itself is an interesting and truly formidable lifeform and the human characters are pretty likeable. There are some pretty gruesome moments which have me diverting my gaze down to the floorboards (those poor huskies), but for all the critical attention they receive they're pretty few and far in between. The horror here comes chiefly from the sheer anticipation of not knowing who the Thing has taken over and when it will strike next. Naturally, that particular sensation inevitably wanes on repeat viewings when you have the benefit of foresight, but thanks to Carpenter's detached direction and Morricone's chilling music it retains its creepy atmosphere sufficently enough. And it's still a great story.

I watched the 1986 version of the Fly last week, and it definitely ranks as one of the better monster movies I've seen. Not a pleasant experience by any stretch of the imagination, but it's very haunting and emotionally resonant, chiefly for the dynamic between Brundle's humanity and the muscidae genes slowly consuming him. I elaborated on it in a bit more detail in the main Movie thread.

Other than that there's Alien, and not much else I can think of right now. Well, Jekyll and Hyde should be a no-brainer for me, but I've yet to actually watch any of the movie adaptations in full. The 1931 version is apparently the best, I like what I've seen of it so far.

Hey, is Duel a horror movie? Hmm, probably not...it's a pretty horrific situation, but there's nothing remotely supernatural about it. It's probably better classified as a psychological thriller. Much like Mulholland Drive, Deliverence and a tonne of other flicks which have scared me in some way without actually hailing from the horror genre. I'm an easily rattled being.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 10-29-2007 at 12:54 PM.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:33 PM   #16
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

Apocalypse Now

"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight...razor."

go see the original NOT the "Redux" version.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:01 PM   #17
emperor26
Foster's Legend

Here are some of my favorite horror movies:

The Hills Have Eyes (2006 remake): Based on the original Wes Craven version, this is perhaps one of the few remakes that are actually good to watch. The story is very simple to follow, the actions are great and the mutants were intimidating on this one.

The Exorcist-Still one of the most frightening film to date, the Exorcist takes fear to the extreme, and I still have chills whenever I see this film.

The Saw franchise-a mixture between horror and thriller makes this franchise very unique, including the elaborate traps throughout the entire series.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:13 PM   #18
Imaginary Light
Princess of Zingapore, Wisconsin

Send a message via AIM to Imaginary Light

Oh, horror flicks. How I love thee. Would you care to believe that about five years ago I never wanted to even look at the cover of a horror movie, let alone watch one? Well, yeah. It's the truth.

Ghost Ship (I have to start with this one because it's the first horror movie I saw. I was 14 at the time and terribly grossed out by the opening sequence. (Now, on the other hand, I don't even flinch.) Despite how grossed out I was, I loved the story. While not exactly "scary", it is still a fun movie.)

The Ring (I never, ever, ever, ever, EVER wanted to see this movie when it first came out. Just thinking about it scared the crap out of me. But when I was 14, one of my friends never shut up about this movie, and I figured I just HAD to see it. It became my favorite horror movie. Ever. And I wasn't even scared )

The Grudge (I love creepy, corpsey things. Especially when they move creepy and jerky. The creepier, the better!)

The Skeleton Key (The whole Hoodoo thing intrigues me. And I love the twist ending.)

Saw (My best friend made me watch this movie even though I really didn't want to. In your face gore has never really been my thing. I'm more of a psychological fear type of person. Despite that, I was really pleased with this movie, mainly because there was some serious psychological fear going on! Jigsaw in a GENIOUS, I tell you!)

Dead Silence (Creepy doll + creepy old lady + insane twist ending = horror movie loooooove!)

I'm sure I'll be back to list more.

EDIT! OH! I forgot The Hills Have Eyes remake! That's some in your face gore that I'm totally fine with.

Last edited by Imaginary Light; 10-29-2007 at 01:15 PM.
Imaginary Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:16 PM   #19
Nathander
The Best Character on the Show

Hairgel!  

Send a message via AIM to Nathander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
Tremors
Well, it's a monster movie so I listed it. Some good ole boys go hunting giant worms in the desert. I really love this one. Number two is good too. Then it just got a little out there. But one and two are good.
Mmm, love me some Tremors. The second Tremors film would actually be the first horror movie I would dare try to watch on my own, and so it holds a special place in my heart just for that memory.

Quote:
While I think Romero's sequels to be superior, I still feel like John Russo's "Return of the Living Dead" films were great. I just bough the special edition of it a few weeks ago, as a matter of fact.

Like Tremors, it holds a special place in my heart due to the fact that there's one scene that always stood out in my mind, because I got a bit of it as a kid: the scene near the end where all the police get to the building...and are quickly overtaken. To my little adolescent mind, it was one of the most frightening things I had ever seen.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:32 PM   #20
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

I dig the Army of Darkness. Nathander's avatar reminded me of it

"hail to the king, baby"
-Ash, Housewares