Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Other Entertainment

Notices

Other Entertainment Discuss other television programs as well as movies, music, books, comic books, games, etc.

Old 08-17-2006, 07:36 PM   #11
TraverseTown
Settling In

Available Now for only 79 easy payments of $4.99!  

People have tried to keep track of his "list" but it's too disorganized and buggy to do!
Old 08-17-2006, 07:47 PM   #12
taranchula
Agent: Deep Bloo

You guys have your red headed cartoon crushes and I have mine!  

Send a message via MSN to taranchula Send a message via Yahoo to taranchula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloo2daMacs View Post
so would I... so would I... And taranchula just said it will! So YOU'RE in luck my friend!

That's right, I speakThe Truth

Start saving your pennies

taranchula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 08:04 PM   #13
Mac
Newly Abandoned

Wow, fifty bucks. A bit much. But still seems worth it.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:31 PM   #14
rukift
At Home

I saw an episode of it, and I really thought the writing style was unique. That's what I liked the most. It wasn't as hilarious as I was expecting, but it did manage to make me giggle here or there.
rukift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 09:42 AM   #15
Bloo2daMacs
Banned

THE REFORMER...  

yeah I saw the episode you're mentioning. It was the pilot. funny... I can't wait to get the season DVD.
Bloo2daMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 11:41 PM   #16
Chaos Wielder
Permanent Resident

Personally, I have mixed feelings about this show for one main reason. The good things about it are that it's completely hilarious at times, has good writing and has characters that do seem realistic sometimes, but the main bad thing about it is that I feel as if they're too stereotypical. I do not really like the whole "white trash" image that it portrays because for one thing, in my town, we have a lot of people that do shop at Wal-Mart and some that do live in trailer parks. In fact, some of my own family members do or have live in trailer parks and they are totally not like these people at all. In fact, my aunt used to live in a trailer park a few years ago and she is very intelligent and even got a scholarship to go to college when she was younger, so she definitely isn't a "dumb hick" like some people believe that the show is portraying. It's just a bad stereotype that is taken a bit too far at times. Heck, I know people that live in HOUSES or anywhere else that can be the same way, so they shouldn't just limit it to THAT image, if you know what I mean. Like someone else said on tv.com awhile back, it's so stereotypical at times that it's almost unbearable.

So overall, I honestly don't know how I feel about the show. I don't know whether I love it or dislike it because, like I said, it has its good points, but its bad points as well. Now, not to say that I'm dissing it because it's definitely not a bad show, it's just that I don't like the stereotypes in it. I know that it's all for fun, but I am honestly sick of the "trashy trailer park" stereotype because these people are more than likely completely ignorant when it comes to that kind of thing as they have more than likely either never had to experience living like that or do not know anyone that lives like that. I'm growing tired of some people thinking it's just "filthy rich" and "poor white trash" and no gray areas in between those terrible images...I don't really care whether someone's rich or poor, we're all people here and I just feel like that stereotype makes that gray area in the real world less noticable. *sighs*

But anyway, sorry for the semi-rant. I just had some things that I REALLY needed to get off of my chest.

Last edited by Chaos Wielder; 08-28-2006 at 12:29 AM.
Chaos Wielder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 02:53 PM   #17
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

In all honesty Chaos, I would seriously relax and now take things so personally about the show. The show is not meant to strike anyone's nerves nor is it trying to implicate any big stereotypes, that's not the message of the show. The in truth is really about redemption and turning your life around.

The only reason we get all these trailer park, and supposed hick remarks is because our main character IS a trailer park hick. It wouldn't have been very interesting if he had a happy life and then suddenly tried to undo all the wrongs he's done in his life, plus it contributes to his theif profession.

Earl's life is the way it is by his choices, not by a stereotype and if anything, you should take more heart knowing that he is actually doing something to improve his life. The show's funny as hell and at the same time, it's showing a good message, plus the actors they got fit their character bills to a perfect T.

I particuarly love Jaimie Pressely as Joy, who is down right HOT and funny if you ask me, and I'm glad people are finally seeing what a great actor Jason Lee is. So in closing I say, don't take it too seriously and worry about what a TV shows you about stereotypes.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 03:34 PM   #18
Chaos Wielder
Permanent Resident

It's kind of hard NOT to take it to heart when you or people that you know live in a similar kind of environment, Mr. Marshmallow. I know that the message is about turning your life around, and that's great because it DOES show that it's deeper than what some people might think at first and I DO take heart in that, but I also feel like it's supporting stereotypes at the same time. If you could just go on tv.com forums and see what some of the fans of this show have said about people like that there, then you'd see what I mean. Some of the comments were very hurtful and uncalled for (sometimes they weren't talking about just the characters, sometimes they'd even talk about those kinds of people in general). In reality, I wasn't really directing the comments toward anyone that likes the show on this forum, it was just toward those people.

Sure, the main character is a "trailer park hick", but that's a stereotype in itself there. Not all people that live like that are hicks to begin with and I would know based on experience. Not all people that live like that have bad lives, either or have commited "theft". It's just...I dunno...I just feel like that's what it's implying. That's the only point I'm trying to make. It's just a little bit of a dodgy subject to me, is all. It's actually not the show itself that makes me feel this way as much as it is the ideas that some people are getting from it (like I said, just look at tv.com forums).

I agree that it has heart and is very deep at times. That's one of the show's strongest points. Like I said, it DOES have good points. But it's also got bad points that I feel are sometimes unnecessary. I'm sorry if I sounded upset earlier. I really wasn't, it was just that there were things that I felt like needed to be set straight. I wasn't trying to diss the show, it's just that it's easy for people to say those things when they aren't in a situation like that or don't know anyone that is. It just came across as being offensive toward some of my family members at first, that's all. But maybe I did overreact a bit.

Last edited by Chaos Wielder; 08-28-2006 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:27 PM   #19
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

Well the truth is you don't need to let that stuff get to you because just because it's a TV show, doesn't mean it's supporting that type of behavior. People are smart enough to know what they see on TV isn't always true and anyone who believes that, well, you shouldn't be listening to them anyway.

Stereotypes are created by morons, enforced by morons, and continued through morons. My Name is Earl can't influence people who they are, if they are rude enough to backlash and label you as what they see on the show, then chances are they'd still do that even if Earl never existed in the first place.

People make insults, not programs. And even if you do see something familar from a TV show, you just gotta roll with the punches. I for example am a die hard anime and Godzilla fan, yet I got no problem laughing my head off anytime someone parodies it, mocks it, or just pokes fun at it on TV.

Why? Because I know it's just TV and it's not something I or anyone else needs to take too deeply to heart. TV shows are not out to get you or hurt anyone, so don't take them that way. Prove your stronger and better then the schmucks that ridicule you about your "stereotype" and ignore em.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 05:43 PM   #20
Chaos Wielder
Permanent Resident

Yeah, that's true. I see what you mean. It's just kinda hard to see morons being so closed-minded and judgmental, but you're right-they really shouldn't matter and should be ignored.

But thanks for the advice. That really helps out a lot and made me feel better. I might start watching the show again sometime. After all, it is a good show in my opinion and does have some good humor and characters.