Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Fan Creations > Fan-Fic Forum

Notices

Fan-Fic Forum Post and discuss Foster's-related stories here.

Old 08-28-2006, 07:09 AM   #11
Dude13
Settling In
Cruising through life without a single clue...  

Well, after my good friend lucyrocks73's urging, here I am, finally with an account here on my own.

Thanks to everyone who's giving me their honest opinion on everything so far, and to everyone else, don't be afraid to speak your mind. It can be as critical as you want, I prefer any feedback to be as honest and sicnere as possible.
Dude13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 07:13 AM   #12
lucyrocks73
Razzamatazztic Tap Dancer

There are ways to make punks like you sing.  

Send a message via AIM to lucyrocks73

Oh, so *I* get blamed?

Just kidding.

I must say, it's interesting to read what people think of our story in a non-formal review setting...

-Marty
Old 08-28-2006, 07:31 AM   #13
Dude13
Settling In

I personally like it, it's a nice change to hear from others whose opinions we wouldn't nromally get to hear through just the review system.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:17 PM   #14
ch3353-h4xx0rrrr
Permanent Resident
And it's Goo!  

Of course, now when we make a comment it'll be awkward because the author is here.

But I'll just be redundant and direct: I don't like where Mac's character is going, in any of your fics. He seems so clingy to Frankie nowadays. And really Sally Sob-Story-esque. =/

However, I do love the fics.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:50 PM   #15
Kzinistzerg
Foster's Legend

I have to partially agree, the latest development is kindof going overboard...
Kzinistzerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 07:43 PM   #16
Dude13
Settling In

To be honest, it?s just a bit of an odd situation to be in whenever I write. On one hand, I?d rather stay as true to the show as I can when I write, meaning I avoid giving the characters complete personality transformations (emo/goth Mac, to use a particularly infamous one in example) and I try and keep their true nature intact. But then again, whenever I create a new piece, I always have the particular plot to consider too, so there will be some changes.

And of course, I?m no professional storyboard writer. I write simply because I enjoy writing, I never work with the exact mindset of creating a work that I can sell of as an actual episode of Foster?s. Whenever I work on a new story, I just look for an idea I can have a good time writing about, and thus of course with this in mind, I?m not exactly going to create something that?s one hundred percent loyal to the show. While I try and avoid tremendous changes in any of the characters? natures, there?s going to be some inevitable differences to be dealt with. That?ll probably explain some of my more outrageous and over-the-top stories ? they were bizarre, undoubtedly, but I had a blast transforming those ideas from mere scribbled notes in a shabby notepad to full-blown fanfics.

That?s basically more or less what I have to work with, it?s a very weird conflict. I try and keep everyone true to the actual cartoon, yet also I have the dream of bringing my particular plot ideas to life and trying to enjoy actually writing them as much as I can. Of course, I can?t have every character in my stories be absolutely perfect and process while turning every fanfic idea into the full-fledged story I hope to create. Inevitably, the two ideals clash, and thus I end up getting some problems in my stories that need to be dealt with. To be short, it?s a very imperfect system I use, and my apologies for the long, rambling explanation.

But nevertheless, at least I can get feedback in case I?m really going overboard anywhere in particular so I can try and fix whatever those issues happen to be. The more honest and sincere that feedback is, the better.

Ack, so I guess I have another kink that needs to be worked out. To be honest, this issue I seem to be having with Mac?s character flew completely under my radar. Yeah, I know that he tends to act more mature and intelligent than many of the older characters in the show, which is one of the major aspects of his character in particular. But then again, he is still just an eight-year-old, and so I thought then that he had the right to act like he was only eight from time to time, meaning he?ll get upset, he needs comfort and reassurance every now and then, etc. But now I?m guessing I went too far with that idea, and I now I must make sure I don?t make a similar error in future stories.

I?ll se what I can do!
Old 08-29-2006, 04:00 AM   #17
lucyrocks73
Razzamatazztic Tap Dancer

There are ways to make punks like you sing.  

Send a message via AIM to lucyrocks73

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch3353-h4xx0rrrr View Post
Of course, now when we make a comment it'll be awkward because the author is here.
Hey, I've been here a while (although, Dude13 should get all the credit, because in my opinion, he is the better writer out of the two of us)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude13 View Post

Ack, so I guess I have another kink that needs to be worked out. To be honest, this issue I seem to be having with Mac?s character flew completely under my radar. Yeah, I know that he tends to act more mature and intelligent than many of the older characters in the show, which is one of the major aspects of his character in particular. But then again, he is still just an eight-year-old, and so I thought then that he had the right to act like he was only eight from time to time, meaning he?ll get upset, he needs comfort and reassurance every now and then, etc. But now I?m guessing I went too far with that idea, and I now I must make sure I don?t make a similar error in future stories.

I?ll see what I can do!
(*coughboldedtypeblatentlycopiedfrommye-mailcough*)

Just kidding around. Hey, don't be so hard on yourself... Every writer has something they have to work out. Mine is, as everyone tells me, "telling but not showing".

Mac's character just happens to be yours, and as I keep telling you, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

-Marty (who only keeps pretending to be mad to get everyone's goat, to clarify)
Old 08-29-2006, 04:23 PM   #18
Kzinistzerg
Foster's Legend

I meant the really really recent developments. I think the handling of the characters so far has been fairly realistic so far and well done. And it's nice to see the characters in weird situations.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:38 PM   #19
Dude13
Settling In

Ha, I'll actually be the first to agree with you - the plot of "Wishing Only WOunds the Heart" is extremely over the top, which is exactly why lucyrock73 and I are having such a blast writing it.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:00 PM   #20
Kzinistzerg
Foster's Legend

Well hell, if it's fun, do it! I's kind of overkill on the Mac situation, though... I mean, this is... Well, I find all of your stories utterly hilarious, in a good way, even the really depressing ones becuase of the juxtaposition of the characters and events (Speaking of which, is it physically possible for Frankie to hug Mac? Can she fit her arms aorund his head?). The whole "well, this happens, and then this happens, and just to add to the fun, this happens" part seems almost Monty-Python-Esque. I just keep getting pictures of a nature similar to that family guy episode in which the Kool-Aid guy bursts through the wall.