Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Other Entertainment

Notices

Other Entertainment Discuss other television programs as well as movies, music, books, comic books, games, etc.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:28 PM   #1891
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

Oddly enough, my sis and I saw The Meltdown last night, and then the first Ice Age this afternoon. And now The Meltdown is on again, and we're watching it again. I'd rather watch Foster's than TM a second time, but she was the first to get to the big TV so whatever. She's a big fan.

Not my favorite movies in the world, but the Ice Age franchise is entertaining.

Last edited by Lynnie; 07-06-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:06 PM   #1892
Howard
Desert Rat

Only the best!  

Boondock Saints - love that flick! I understand there is supposed to be a sequal out August of this year.
Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:56 AM   #1893
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnie View Post
Oddly enough, my sis and I saw The Meltdown last night, and then the first Ice Age this afternoon. And now The Meltdown is on again, and we're watching it again. I'd rather watch Foster's than TM a second time, but she was the first to get to the big TV so whatever. She's a big fan.

Not my favorite movies in the world, but the Ice Age franchise is entertaining.
Yeah, I wouldn't say they're anything massively special, but they're entertaining, and for the most part manage to steer clear of Dreamworks-level obnoxiousness, which is why I was all too happy to fork over a few pounds for a diverting couple of hours of Scrat, Scratte and filler. I wasn't exactly expecting it to be of Pixar calibre.

To be honest, I've always felt that the original Ice Age was a bit critically over-valued, coming as it did at a time when CG-animated films still held something of a novelty value simply for being CG. The sequels weren't quite so fortunate in that regard. Watching DOTD yesterday, in plain old unexciting 2D vision, I suddenly had this really terrifying thought - what if this (that is, 3D) is indeed the future of the animated feature film? Could we be in for a whole new wave of animated movies which tailor themselves specifically for those who are willing to pay up extra to view them through those dopey 3D goggles and which, in effect, render themselves as little more than feature-lengthed amusement park rides, ones which just seem empty and awkward when taken out of their intended context? I mean, pretty much every animated flick that's come out in recent months seems to want to want to utilise the option, so what happens when it becomes the norm? Would it really be all that different from what most non-Pixar CG releases are doing right now anyhow, what with their gimmicky celebrity vocals and and timely pop culture references? How does that prehistoric opossum know how that Chipmunk Christmas song goes? My head's all awhirl.

Just to change the subject completely, I'd also like to put in a good word for Sunshine Cleaning, which I saw last week and never found the time to write about here. Good film, featuring more from the wonderful Amy Adams, who I mentioned just a page back. See it if you get the chance.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 07-08-2009 at 07:17 AM.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #1894
Howard
Desert Rat

Only the best!  

Nicholas and Alexandraon DVD - at last!
Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:14 PM   #1895
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Jurassic Park- The Lost World

I had never seen it before, and somewhat enjoyed the first movie so I didn't mind sitting through it when my sis tuned the TV to the movie.

Spoiler Below
It was funny, yet disturbing, when the adult Tyrannosaurus was in that family's back yard drinking out of their pool. And the dog started barking at it... My sis covered her face, and screeched "I hate this part!!" Having not seen it before, I kept watching and, yeah, I started feeling a bit sick.
She asked me "Is it over yet? Tell me when it's over." I didn't know when it was over! So I just waited until the scene changed to a different location, and finally told her "Ok, it's over".

You can tell we're animal lovers.

Last edited by Lynnie; 07-16-2009 at 11:16 PM. Reason: added spoilers, just in case =/
Old 07-20-2009, 12:21 AM   #1896
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

This is the first time I've seen this. I adored the first movie, the sound track is amazing, it's just so pretty. And don't get me started on the costumes. I love anything fantasy/medieval, let's just leave it at that. This movie wasn't as good as the first, but I still really enjoyed it. And I'm still hoping on getting the soundtrack one day.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:57 AM   #1897
frankie_fan
Resident Movie Buff

But that's another show  

A Boy Named Charlie Brown

Just before I head off to bed!
frankie_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:09 AM   #1898
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Yeah, I'm a fan. So there.

This is probably the best of the Harry Potter adaptations so far - by no means a substitute for actually reading the book, but it's still a very good companion piece; visually haunting, sufficiently atmospheric and with moments of genuine emotional strength - the film series has certainly come a long way since its cosier (but stiffer) Columbus-helmed beginnings. Jim Broadbent was a very welcome addition to the cast as Professor Slughorn, Helena Bonham Carter continues to rock as Bellatrix, and Alan Rickman was as wonderful as ever as Snape (even if we still don't get to spend nearly as much time with him as I'd have liked - hopefully the Deathly Hallows adaptation(s) will rectify this). I'd always let be known, for much of the series, how hard a time I had warming to Daniel Radcliffe as the titular character, but by this stage I'd admit that I've come to accept him - and, besides, he demonstrates here that he can do a pretty cracking spider impersonation above all else. Much to my regret, we didn't get any footage of Voldemort in a suit this time around, but I guess I can settle for seeing Fred and George dressed likewise instead. Onto the Deathly Hallows we go!

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 07-24-2009 at 08:12 AM.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:34 PM   #1899
frankie_fan
Resident Movie Buff

But that's another show  

Default Who you gonna call?

Ghostbusters

Yes, I finally saw the 1984 classic comedy with Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis, Sigourney Weaver, Rick Moranis and Ernie Hudson. I will admit, I really did enjoy Bill's smart-alec remarks, and of course the classic lines, one of which has now become one of my all-time favourites ('We came, we saw, we kicked its ASS!' ). A funny movie, and I can easily see why it's entered the pop culture world.
frankie_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:48 PM   #1900
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Mrs. Doubtfire

It's been years since I've seen this movie. YEARS I tell you! I remembered most of the movie, but I forgot how hillariously funny it is. My sister and I were nearly rolling on the floor in laughter in some parts. Robin Williams is such an amazing actor.