Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 10-03-2008, 02:03 PM   #1651
some guy you dont know
Just a Poor Boy

Location: some building in some city of some state in some country.
Send a message via AIM to some guy you dont know

did your parents like any cartoons as a kid? you should show them those, see if they find them to be "a show for 8-year olds."

also, shows like family guy, south park, the simpsons, some anime like death note, etc.

are they all for 8-year olds?

people who think that you shouldnt enjoy something after a certain age really ticks me off.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:44 PM   #1652
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

I do partly blame my parents' lack of support on my inability to land work writing for animation. They never liked that I wanted to make cartoons for a living. I didn't get any support for wanting to be a writer either; my dad had wanted to be a writer and failed so I think that made him hold me back. My mom didn't really have a problem with me being a writer, but she never wanted to read any of my stuff because I wrote fantasy and she didn't like fantasy, She finally did read something but was unable to offer me any criticism because she "didn't like fantasy."

She later became a major Harry Potter fan and devoured those books. You can imagine how that made me feel.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:56 PM   #1653
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

I never even bothered showing my parents the stories I wrote. They were never very supportive of anything else I did, and they weren't sci-fi fans at all. There wouldn't have been any point in trying to interest them. I never got a lot of grief from them when I watched cartoons but I knew they didn't approve or understand my interest. Neither did my brother, actually, who to this day continues to display his disdain for animation. Stars, any wonder I always felt so cut off, so disconnected from that family; the only things we had in common were similar nutritional needs and a few strips of DNA. That's all, nothing more.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:03 PM   #1654
some guy you dont know
Just a Poor Boy

Location: some building in some city of some state in some country.
Send a message via AIM to some guy you dont know

ugh, i never have any fun when my dads around. maybe because hes been yelling at me for stopping his show from recording. when i didnt. and he does it all the time to my shows. then denies it.

also i cant talk back, because he feels he deserves my respect. and thinks im like the anti-christ because i dont respect him. and he thinks hes the only person in the house. (IE: he deserves what he wants more than i do.)

and again just blames me for everything. then acts all sneaky and like an censored when he locks his shows so nobody can overrule them. because he deserves to watch his shows more than anyone else in the family does.

im goin to canada when i get out of school. at least i wont have to deal with him there.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:22 PM   #1655
fosters home fan
(.¯??¯)

Yes?  

Quote:
She later became a major Harry Potter fan and devoured those books. You can imagine how that made me feel.

Yuh, when she drug me to one of the Harry Potter movies one time (best description could be shown as a big Z), she saw a line for people going to the Simpson's Movie, so she's like "look at all those weird fans" and "that's a really weird show" and yet she's going into a stinkin Harry Potter film! Has she even heard of the Harry Potter fantards and what not? They're really..... quite something, to be blunt.

I'm not a MAAAJOR Simpson's fan, but, still. Pretty ironic, in my opinion.

Anyways, people who constantly quote people like Tourrete's Guy and that Kenny Rogers look-a-like on MADtv would be people that tick me off. >_>

Some guy I used to talk to always greeted me with a random Tourrete's Guy quote. I guess he never found out that that meme was old and tired out before he even SAW it. <_<
Old 10-03-2008, 06:46 PM   #1656
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

I may be lucky when it comes to my parents and cartoons. I think I've mentioned it before here somewhere, but both my parents like "classic" cartoons, especially Disney. And my mom's opt to like some of the "modern" cartoons too. My sister and I actually turned her onto Foster's. My dad on the other hand, only rolls his eyes at our liking a modern non-Disney cartoon. But he's tolerant of it.

What always bugged me about my parents is they always wanted us to be independent of them. As soon as I was 16 and legal, they forced me to get a full time job. Most of my friends just worked part time because, c'mon, we were still in school, still learning about money management, still kids! But I worked 40+ hours a week. And I never saw a cent of the money I earned, it all went strait to tuition at academy. I was terrified, I felt like they had abandoned me to be a slave in someone's household, and I remember crying on many occasions because I just felt so alone and sometimes I messed up because I was still learning and I had no comfort in that situation. As I got older, they'd refuse to help me out in things like getting my car serviced, or finding an apartment, or sorting through tax forms because they kept saying "You aren't going to have us around to help you forever. You need to learn to deal with these things by yourself." So I had to handle many scary situations alone without any help or even advice from them, and in my ignorance, wasted a LOT of time and money. In some lucky situations I had a good friend or two who were more than happy to offer some sort of support. And now, all my closer friends whom I'd be most comfortable asking for such help are thousands of miles away in Texas. So I've turned to just paying strangers to do some things for me if I didn't know how to do it myself. And that puts more stress on my financial situation, which is made even more frustrating knowing my dad could probably help me out in a matter of minutes for free, or at least for a lot less money.

I guess the good side is that I've learned how to do a lot of things by myself that I know many other people, women especially, don't have a clue how to do. But we all need support in tough times, and as long as they are alive and nearby, one's family should be the first to offer it. I shouldn't even need to ask!

Last edited by Lynnie; 10-03-2008 at 06:47 PM. Reason: added some stuff
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:34 PM   #1657
L.G.
Melvineer

I am fortunate to have a mother who will still watch Looney Tunes if she has time. She'll even watch Family Guy with me. But when I tried to explain the premise of Foster's to her, there was a few seconds of silence, and then she said, "...OK then." Oh well.

On an unrelated note, between 1:50 and 2:20am today, the fire alarm went off 2 separate times. One minute after everyone has settled in, it goes off again! The 2nd one resulted in 3 people getting arrested. While I'm still awake at those times, it was infuriating to have the alarms blaring all of a sudden while I'm minding my own business.

Last edited by L.G.; 10-07-2008 at 10:40 PM.
L.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:40 PM   #1658
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

Bleh, we went through something like that once. Every dang morning some lunatic would pull the alarm, usually between 1:00 AM and 5:00 AM. This went on virtually every day for months. As far as I know they never caught the SOB who was doing it.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:20 PM   #1659
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

One year in college the alarm went off at our dorm constantly in the middle of the night. People were either pulling it or really setting fires.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:39 AM   #1660
Howard
Desert Rat

Only the best!  

Thank goodness I am a home owner, and no longer have to put up with the alarm thing (unless someone breaks in). I am still recovering from all the alarms I had to put up with in the military (some going off in the wee hours of the morning). I still get the shakes and flashbacks if I hear an alarm someplace.
Howard is offline   Reply With Quote