Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Other Entertainment

Notices

Other Entertainment Discuss other television programs as well as movies, music, books, comic books, games, etc.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:27 PM   #1471
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassini90125 View Post
Elsa was played by Alison Doody.
doody.

LMAO
Old 05-13-2008, 12:31 PM   #1472
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

Yeah, I wonder why she didn't come up with a stage name. "Alison Marquis" has a nice ring to it.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 02:55 PM   #1473
koosie
Moon-Calf

It was just imagination  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekylljuice View Post
Back to the Future

Best movie of the 1980s. I won't go into the full details as to how very much I love this movie and how much it still means to me after all these years, seeing as we don't have half a century to spare, but last night's viewing was particularly exciting in that I finally got to see it on the big screen for the first time. Only slight let-down was that the print was a little iffy in places, but even such an endless barrage of crackles, grains and the occasional missing frames couldn't possibly keep down what an amazing, engaging, funny and delightful piece of sci-fi adventure this truly is. Michael J Fox and Christopher Lloyd have one of the greatest onscreen rapports of all-time, the musical score is beautifully orchestrated, the humour is brilliantly-observed (god, I LOVE that moment concerning Marvin Berry and that phone call he makes to his cousin, Chuck), the special effects still hold up amazingly well to this day...eh, I'll stop, since I'm beginning to ramble. So I'll say one more thing - hurray for 1985! A very significant year for me that, and not just because it was the year in which this phenomenal movie was first released.

Oh yes, and a bit earlier on yesterday, I also caught the ending to The Third Man, which is a classic. I've seen it twice before, and it's a great movie all-round, though those final few moments were all I really needed to see for the time being - the closing shot is pure cinema, simple but fabulously effective.

Back to the Future was my favourite movie when it came out partly because I'd just started getting into wearing those body-warmer/gilet type things that Marty wears (it even gets referred to) and it even made me interested in skateboards, the use of which I never mastered. I think the movies probably slipped a long way down my favourites in the intervening decades but it's still good. Especially Christopher Lloyd. Oddly enough I always thought Bright Lights, Big City was a better sequel than the the next two BTTF films.

I've had no time to watch movies recently. The last one I saw was Rambo 4 which I've already mentioned, so the last film and actually saw at the Cinema was the terrific There will be blood. The music, written by Radioheader J Greenwood, is especially good and rumbles away like all that lovely oil.

Aw....Snicket

Last edited by koosie; 05-13-2008 at 02:56 PM. Reason: punk chew a shun
koosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:57 PM   #1474
Nathander
The Best Character on the Show

Hairgel!  

Send a message via AIM to Nathander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medikor View Post
"Akira". I watched most of it while it aired the night after my initial attempt to watch it. I loved the hand drawn animation (the computer assisted stuff these days just strikes me as "too clean and sharp looking"). But I have to say that it left me pretty unsatisfied. It felt rather shallow because any point of the story the movie had, if any, went right over my head.
This falls into how I feel about many original anime films. They come off as very abstract to me because they are often very surreal but lack a moral or point that I can grasp. I really want to say that I like this movie, so any insight would be appreciated.
In a nutshell,
Spoiler Below
the point was that mankind can eventually ascend to godhood, and mankinds use of technology is the stepping stone for this. This is helped supported by Tetsuo's last line of the film, and the repitition of the children's line about how the next step has already begun.
The manga is far better if you can find it.

Last film I watched was Paprika, an anime film by Satoshi Kon. I love Kon's work, and one of the reasons for that is due to how hard his stuff can be to describe. He's almost like the animated David Lynch of Japan. If you enjoy that director, he's certainly worth a look.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:24 AM   #1475
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by koosie View Post
Back to the Future was my favourite movie when it came out partly because I'd just started getting into wearing those body-warmer/gilet type things that Marty wears (it even gets referred to) and it even made me interested in skateboards, the use of which I never mastered. I think the movies probably slipped a long way down my favourites in the intervening decades but it's still good. Especially Christopher Lloyd. Oddly enough I always thought Bright Lights, Big City was a better.
Back to the Future was my favourite movie for a long time back when I was in my late teens, but it was eventually bumped down when I saw the Hudsucker Proxy, which still occupies that spot, and seems in no danger of being usurped for the time being. But BTTF still has a very firm position in my elect list of favourites, for reasons I've already touched upon. I've never seen Bright Lights, Big City, but I do like both BTTF sequels, even if they never quite succeeded in matching the original's brilliance. Part III is clearly superior (IMO) to Part II. The - surprisingly rampant - number of folks who view Part II as superior to Part I I honestly can't see eye-to-eye with.

Anyhow, last movie I watched was Alien, with my housemates, which gave me a chance to argue about various symbolisms within the film, and the exact intentions and capabilities of the titular character. We were watching the original 1979 release, which I do generally prefer to the Director's Cut, with the exception of one small scene involving my favourite charater, Jonesy. Awesome kitty cat.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:02 PM   #1476
emperor26
Foster's Legend

The last movie I watch recently was Iron Man, a good film with some good action scenes, a bit of humor and as always, a great cameo by Stan Lee himself.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:55 PM   #1477
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Cloverfield

I just got back from seeing this for the first time, having shyed away from all the hype during its rampancy earlier this year. And what can I say? I wasn't wild about it. Beyond the Blair Witch Project-esque gimmick of the entire film being shown from the point of view of a handful of bystanders who just happened to have a camera rolling at the time, the story didn't really feel like it had very much to sustain itself. There were a small handful of shocks here and there, but I found the characters to be a bit flat and unlikeable, and the storyline perhaps a tad flimsy. Maybe I'd have appreciated it more if I had more of an appetite for the whole skycraper-stomping monster movie genre in general, but I'm afraid I don't. On the plus side, the ending was somewhat refreshing, I quite liked the occasional interludes of the previous, immensely more tranquil film on the video, and the whole thing was mercifully short. I don't think I could really have taken it had it gone on for very much longer than an hour and a half. Not because I'm prone to motion sickness or anything like that, but because I was starting to find it a bit frustrating.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 05-17-2008 at 01:37 AM.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:53 PM   #1478
Ridureyu
Permanent Resident

Send a message via AIM to Ridureyu

All three Indy movies, and I feel fiiiiiine.

Oh, and The Out of Towners, with Steve Martin. It was on TV!

And Witness, which was really good.

Last edited by Ridureyu; 05-16-2008 at 05:54 PM.
Ridureyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:58 PM   #1479
Nathander
The Best Character on the Show

Hairgel!  

Send a message via AIM to Nathander

Short Circuit 2.

Ugh.....
Old 05-17-2008, 10:17 AM   #1480
Pawbah
my brother's keeper

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us  

Chronicles of Narnia Prince Caspian. I hope to go to the movies again today.

<Click!
Pawbah is offline   Reply With Quote