Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 01-14-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
AerostarMonk
Holy Toledo!

Just try to relax and I'll try not to steal from you.  

Send a message via AIM to AerostarMonk Send a message via MSN to AerostarMonk Send a message via Yahoo to AerostarMonk
Default Fictional Crushes

Now, you may be thinking that one crush thread is enough. I believe this to be untrue. There are more than a few mediums that just don't fit neatly into the realm of cartoons if at all. Should we leave the worlds of literature, cinema and television out in the cold due to a technicality? This person thinks not.

So I've started another thread so people can list the crushes they have for character in just about any fictional medium not covered by the Cartoon Crushes thread. This includes, literature and comics, which I think fold neatly into one another, cinema and television, and yes, even music and media not listed.

To start things off I would like to submit Jaye Tyler as one of my fictional crushes. For those who may not have heard of her, she was the protagonist in the underrated and short-lived Fox show, Wonderfalls. Unlike many leads in network television shows, Jaye never tried to ingratiate herself with anyone. In fact to many she was downright unlikeable. She was the poster child for what was wrong with Generation Y. An overeducated, underpaid, underachiever who seemed to go out of her way to be rude and keep people at arm's length. But that was just on the surface. Thanks to circumstances set forth in the pilot episode, one could see that Jaye wasn't as bad a person as she made herself out to be. She did in fact have a conscience and not as cynical as she led people to believe.

I think the reason why I like Jaye so much is that she actually seems like a person who'd be in the situations the show puts her in. None of it rings false. From the way she looks to her own expectations. In a world where attractive yet intolerable shrews are being cast into the light as misunderstood plain jane underdogs, Jaye Tyler was a breath of fresh air.

Well, I've got the ball rolling. What say you fellow boarders?
From the highest wire
We walk through fire
Should our balance ever falter
Should our steps be unaligned
AerostarMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:42 PM   #2
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

Characters from songs count? I've always had a thing for the song "Killing Me Softly", as in the oldie by Roberta Flack, although the remake by Fugees is cool too.

I heard he sang a good song, I heard he had a style.
And so I came to see him to listen for a while.
And there he was this young boy, a stranger to my eyes.

Strumming my pain with his fingers,
Singing my life with his words,
Killing me softly with his song,
Killing me softly with his song,
Telling my whole life with his words,
Killing me softly with his song ...

I felt all flushed with fever, embarrassed by the crowd,
I felt he found my letters and read each one out loud.
I prayed that he would finish but he just kept right on...

I've had a thing for that song since I was a pre-teen.

Must mention again Peter Pan, although not just as a cartoon, but a character in a book. I've liked him since I was like 4. And he still has a special place in my heart.
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:41 PM   #3
koosie
Moon-Calf

It was just imagination  

I wonder what the full story is with Roberta Flack and the person the song's about. It is a very beautiful song.

I can immediatly think of 3 examples of Ladies in fiction I'm fond of. I wouldn't call them crushes because a crush is something that happens to me if I make eye contact with somebody I'm keen on. Theres that invisible electric moment and then its like your under some spell. Not happened for a while, thank God.

Yeh so there's Halo Jones from the comic 'The Ballad of Halo Jones' by Alan Moore, Offred from 'The Handmaid's Tale' by Margaret Atwood and Milena Shibush from 'The Child Garden' by Geoff Ryman. They're all fairly ordinary, practical Ladies in extraordinary, crazy sci-fi situations and I enjoy re-reading these works partly to experience their company again.

Aw....Snicket
koosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:06 PM   #4
Nathander
The Best Character on the Show

Hairgel!  

Send a message via AIM to Nathander

Thorn from the comic book Bone. I had started reading the comic as a kid, and the kind, caring character of Thorn had been something to stick with me for years. She's a character I've always liked, and I attribute this to be due, a lot, to how much of my childhood memories are from Bone.

Another crush, to a lesser degree, are Alice Elliot from the videogame Shadow Hearts. Again, I just like really caring characters, for some reason.