Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 09-11-2007, 11:24 AM   #1
One Radical Dude
Big Insensitive Jerkface

Still Awesome  

Default 9-11: Six Years Ago.

I realize that some people want to forget about what happened in New York, Washington (DC), and in rural Pennsylvania; because it is a painful thing to talk about. However, this is a day that everyone (it doesn't matter where you stand politically or what you believe in) should be reminded of. Not that we WANT to spend time worrying about stuff, but simply be reminded that what happened six years ago could very well happen again in the future. I'm not here to debate or play the blame game. I hope that we never deal with anything like this again.

(I used spoiler tags for those that don't want to hear what I have to say about where I was six years ago, and how I reacted)

Spoiler Below
Six years ago, I was getting ready to head to my city's community/technical college for a morning class, and before heading out, I wanted to see what was on television. I saw images of smoke coming out from the World Trade Center towers, and at first, I really didn't express any emotion at all. Then, I heard something about a plane going down in Washington, DC, at the Pentagon. Moments later, I had heard something about something going down nears Shanksville, PA. Then, I became very concerned, wondering "what is going on?". Then, I saw a video of what had happened at the WTC site. At the time, it felt like this was the end of the world. Thousands of folks lost their lives that day -- thousands of people from all walks of life, and not just people from the US (some from other countries died that day). For more than a week, I felt distracted, and I was unable to perform at my full potential.

Never forget this very day. I would like to take this time once again to express my condolences and pray for those that had tragically lost their own lives due to the terrorist attacks, and to their respective families.

Visit these pages: Facebook, Twitter, Google+
One Radical Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 02:32 PM   #2
emperor26
Foster's Legend

It's hard to believe that its been just six years since 9/11 took place.

I feel very sad for those who lost their lives when it happened. None of them didn't deserve to die at all.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:15 PM   #3
LaBloo
Banned
Zombie Fighters!  

Yeah. It's so sad to hear that happened.
LaBloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:07 PM   #4
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

I certainly don't want to forget that day. It always makes me sad remembering it, but I see it as a "healthy" type of sad, so it's ok. I shall also share what I was doing that fateful morning.
Spoiler Below
I got up hoping to take a nice power walk before heading into work. I was living with the parents at the time and my mother was in the living room watching TV. I went out there to put my running shoes on, and the first thing I saw was what looked like a giant smoking smokestack from a factory or something. But in a matter of moments, I realized what it really was, and asked my mom what was going on. She told me in a nutshell what was happening. I was shaken, but I really wanted to go out to walk, so I grabbed my walkman and headed out. But I couldn't find a single up-beat song playing on any of my favorite radio stations- they were all airing news about what was happening in NYC. I couldn't power walk to that! So I came back home, and for the next hour I sat with my mom in the living room and watched what was unfolding on the TV screen. I remember hearing about another "possible" hijacked plane and felt terrified. And then heard it crashed in PA. And I watched live as the second tower fell, and just started sobbing. I did NOT want to go to work, I was too scared. But I went, and it was a very slow day, everyone seemed to be in a daze or something. And I too remember feeling very distracted over the course of the next few weeks as almost nothing but coverage was being aired on TV. It seemed to take forever before we got to regularly scheduled programing, and I finally felt like the healing process could begin.

On a side note, at work today I noticed the flag at the grocery store next door was at half mast. At first I was terrified, thinking "Oh no, what happened now?" But then I remembered the date. I felt a little guilty at forgetting what day it was for a second, and in humility, did my own minute of silence in remembrance of those 3,000 people who lost their lives and their families.

We shall never forget! "Let's Roll!"
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:54 AM   #5
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

It was a very sad day. I find it odd that I remember it like yesterday but at the same time feel like it was a lifetime ago.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:18 PM   #6
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

that was one of the scariest days of my life, knowing that we were going to war, one that would last for years and years.

My history teacher was shaking, he explained that his sons were of "draftable age" my God he must've been horrified.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:17 PM   #7
xxxClaire
Teenage Wasteland

Live everyday like you're Glen Coco.  

Send a message via MSN to xxxClaire

That was a very sad day... I feel bad for everyone who lost their lives.

? Long Live Jeremiah ?
xxxClaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:14 PM   #8
Little Baby IceCream
Settling In
I think I'll call you Chewy  

I can't possibly forget that day. It is really sad even just remembering it. I remember what I did that day.

Spoiler Below
It was just a normal Tuesday. I got up, ate breakfast, brushed my teeth, got dressed, and headed off to school. On the bus, I thought of the note my dad had written me before he went off to work. I was in school, learning, when all of a sudden, the teacher had told us what had happened. I remember sitting there, worried thinking my dad was up there. It was a very scary thought. I was scared until my dad got home that night.

Let us remember those people and their families who lost their lives that day.

Little Baby IceCream

Little Baby IceCream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:43 PM   #9
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partymember View Post
My history teacher was shaking, he explained that his sons were of "draftable age" my God he must've been horrified.
Oh yeah, that's right. I also remember being terrified because my "baby" bro and cousins were of that age, and I remember thinking "My brother's going to go to war and get killed!" I was so relieved when he never got that call, as I'm sure you can imagine.
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:25 PM   #10
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnie View Post
Oh yeah, that's right. I also remember being terrified because my "baby" bro and cousins were of that age, and I remember thinking "My brother's going to go to war and get killed!" I was so relieved when he never got that call, as I'm sure you can imagine.
yeah. Scary times we live in.