Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 06-26-2007, 07:56 PM   #1
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky
Default My parrot laid an egg

...again. We went through this last year, in August. This time I know to leave it in there though, so hopefully she won't lay any more, and maybe she'll get bored of this one quicker. She was moody and cage-bound for over a month last time, but then I was taking the eggs out until I found out I wasn't supposed to.

Well, she's being boarded for a week on July 23rd whether she's laying eggs or not. The bird shop people can take care of her if she is though.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:15 PM   #2
One Radical Dude
Big Insensitive Jerkface

Still Awesome  

Um...yay? Sorry, I can't think of anything else to add. I guess...that's..um...neat.

Visit these pages: Facebook, Twitter, Google+
One Radical Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:14 AM   #3
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

Uh, congratulations, I guess...

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:23 AM   #4
koosie
Moon-Calf

It was just imagination  

Is there no way the bird-shop people fix it that she gets to have an egg she can keep and hatch? I know that would probably cause more problems than it solves but the world needs more Parrots.

Aw....Snicket
koosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:55 AM   #5
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by koosie View Post
Is there no way the bird-shop people fix it that she gets to have an egg she can keep and hatch? I know that would probably cause more problems than it solves but the world needs more Parrots.
It can't hatch, because Sparky doen't have a male parrot, so the eggs are infertile, like the chicken eggs you buy at the supermarket. No male bird, no baby birds. Parrots are funny critters; if they bond with another bird, they often don't make good pets, so few of the birds used for breeding are tame or can be handled without getting bitten(and parrot bites HURT). If a parrot really bonds with a person, it often won't have anything to do with other parrots and might actually be hostile towards them. I guess the people at the bird shop COULD place a fertile egg underneath Kiwi, but that would be taking a chance that she'd abandon it and the embryo would die, especially since it generally takes a make and a female to raise a clutch of chicks. Most breeders either leave eggs with the pair of birds that produced them, or hatch the eggs in an incubator.

pitbulllady
pitbulllady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:59 AM   #6
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by koosie View Post
I know that would probably cause more problems than it solves but the world needs more Parrots.
agreed. We are far too parrot deficient.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:11 PM   #7
antgirl1
Baja Blast my Beloved

Rapo or Rachel is fine!  

I guess I'm lucky to own a parakeet. XD
antgirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:13 PM   #8
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

I love parrots cause they have so much character. So what do you do with the eggs, Sparky? Do you give them away as pet food or something? I remember that when I had a snail as a kid, we always took the many baby's it had to my aunts as food for her turtle.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:19 PM   #9
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medikor View Post
I love parrots cause they have so much character. So what do you do with the eggs, Sparky? Do you give them away as pet food or something? I remember that when I had a snail as a kid, we always took the many baby's it had to my aunts as food for her turtle.
oh my God...you killed its babies

jk
Old 06-27-2007, 01:03 PM   #10
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

I leave the eggs with her until she loses interest then I throw them in the garbage disposal, as they are rotten by then. Her *first* one I drained out and kept though.

It isn't exactly "good" news that Kiwi is laying eggs (she didn't lay another yet, she lays them every other day so she may lay one tomorrow though I hope she won't) because it's a great drain on a bird's body to make an egg. This time, she's got a cuttlebone in her cage at least. Also brooding birds are moody and fidgety when away from their eggs, even if as in Kiwi's case they aren't really in the "baby-making" mindset. They just have an instinct to stay near the eggs. So Kiwi will beg to come out to play, then start screaming to go back five seconds later. It's annoying. Only "good" thing about her being in this mode is that, as long as she's in her cage, she's quieter and I can get more sleep.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote