Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Fun and Games > Foster's Big Fat Awesome House Party!

Notices

Foster's Big Fat Awesome House Party! Topics relating to the year-long game at awesomehouseparty.com belong here.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:43 PM   #1
Stjimmy666
Settling In

Default Slowwww

Ok well I have DSL and when the beguinning the clock went but fast. But last weekend my dad put Mcaffee Viruse Procter on my thing. (Not sure if that matters) Now the clock take like minutes and it I pull up a screen (Like an IM box) it takes two minutes to switch screens. Any idea whats cuaseing this and/or how to fix it. Thanks ~~~~Danielle
Stjimmy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:53 PM   #2
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

I've certainly gotten that before (and I've learned to NOT switch windows while the game is loading or indeed while playing at all if I can help it). It seems to depend more on perhaps how busy their server is at the time. It could be a fluke, or it could be that you should try playing at...odder hours, if you know what I mean.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:57 AM   #3
montitech
Foster's Legend

This is most likely normal for your Computer.
I use Mcafee and It usually takes 2 min for BFAHP to start when I login. then about 10-20s to load when I change floors.

AS for switching screens and things like that, I do it all the time, I usually have around 5 applications running at once, and if you have issues with switching between things it is most likely that your PC is THrashing. You proboly have 512Meg or 256 Meg of RAM and when Mcafee was installed it caused the PC to start swapping Memory between the Swap File and Physical Memory. This can be checked through many different ways, but the easiest way to check is if there is a light on your PC that flashes a lot when you are switching screens That light would be the Hard Drive activity and somtimes you can also hear little clicking that is the mechanical arm inside the Hard disk. So if you have one thing open, things are OK, but once you open more things The preformance degrades. It is also posible that the Video Card may be causing some of the issues but that is rare. Either way, It is not always worth upgrading because of the cost. (Particularly if you need to pay for the installation and parts)

I have seen many Windows machines suffer with bad Preformance after installing Antivirus or other scanning type applications. typically these computers are several years old. There are ways to increase the amount of free memory and performance. but that gets a bit complicated.

Monty
montitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:57 AM   #4
RedboXen
Settling In

From my poking around the game source, the game itself does very little comunication with the server, where the bottle neck is is the game content coming down from CN's server, From playing it during my day time (when most of america is alseep) I get a much faster download than during my evenings.

CN really need to upgrade the amount of bandwith they have, or move hosts to somewhere better.
RedboXen is offline   Reply With Quote