Thread: Sailor Moon
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2007, 02:06 PM   #7
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

Actually not true, I have seen many seasons of Sailor Moon long past the DIC era. I have seen seasons 4 and 5 which would be Sailor Neptune/Uranus arrival with Dr. Tomo, and the Pegasus saga along with those circus girls that appeared with Zerkonia. It was during those later sagas that I started to get bored.

Sailor Moon's villains had gotten ridiculously stupid and they really lacked the originality and unique designs of the original villains such as Queen Beryl, Alan and Anne, and the Dark Moon family. But the Neptune/Uranus saga was one of the best seasons I think the show ever had and I am SO glad they released it.

Funny thing you mention censors Cass because there's a LOT of "censor worthy" material during the Neptune/Uranus saga and luckily it was aired on CN and put on DVD. Truth be told, I barely noticed the censoring in the DIC episodes and even after i read up on it more, what they cut out really didn't bug me that much.

The ones I recall in particular involved cutting out the fact Luna said the first 3 scouts would "die" if they blew up some airplanes controlled by Jedite. And there were a few extended "death" scenes when the Scouts face the Doom and Gloom girls at the very, very end of the Queen Beryl saga.

Back to Rini. While I can sympathize with her status, I still personally dislike the little brat because she was so incredibly rude and careless towards Serena, ESPECIALLY the crap she pulled with Darien and Serena which was at a very critical point in the show for Serena.

Furthermore, the problem I have with Rini is like with most rude child characters: they make it difficult to "attack" them. Child characters get the freedom to act like assholes and don't get punished or treated poorly because they are unattackable targets, anything you to do them someone will see as you beating up a child.

Rini does this quite a lot and thankfully she mellowed out this rotten behavior. I swear if she hadn't then it would have made watching seasons 4-5 all the more difficult to endure. The other big thing censors changed was the gender of Zoicyte. She is actually a HE in Japan and is the gay lover of Malachite.

However here he becomes a SHE and is now a female lover to Malachite. I actually like Zoicyte better as a female, I think that aspect is good because it brings diversity to a team of a bunch of guys working for Beryl. Furthermore I have seen plenty feminine anime males before but you could always still tell they were guys.

Zoicyte to me looks NOTHING like a guy in anyway which is why the whole gay lover thing visually doesn't work for me because she looks like a woman in every sense of the word. DIC however did an excellent job with the voices and music on the series I think and even the original Japanese music (in my opinion) sounds silly compared to the score DIC put out.

EDIT

Btw Cass, in regards to the movies I HIGHLY recommend the second one out of all 3 movies because the "main focus" of that movie is so wonderfully exciting to watch, you won't believe how well it works. I also recommend you take the 3rd movie with a grain of salt, because it sucks something fierce.

Last edited by Mr. Marshmallow; 10-15-2007 at 02:08 PM.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote