View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008, 07:33 AM   #6
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

This shows just how attentive I am, I guess. I've known about this project for a while, but only when I was reading a magazine in the doctors' waiting room today did I learn that it was going to be created using motion capture. Previously, I think I'd just sort of assumed that it was going to be an entirely live action affair.

I currently have mixed feelings about this. The Tintin stories have the potential to translate into a great set of movies, though whenever I think of feature films animated entirely by motion-capture, the fiasco with the Polar Express is what comes to mind. I'm not making judgements about the movie itself, which I haven't seen, but I witnessed enough promotional material to be able to empathise with those folks who were turned off from it by look of the animation alone. The characters seemed so real, and yet so eerily artifical at the same time. I still have a few more weeks to wait until I'll get to see Beowulf, when I'll see if the concept has anything more to offer.

According to this article, Speilberg and Jackson admitted that live action was probably the obvious way to go, but didn't think that it would do justice to Herge's character artwork, so I'm expecting them to be somewhat stylised. Well, I'm open-minded at this stage.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote