View Single Post
Old 12-06-2007, 01:02 PM   #3
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

I really couldn't put it better myself, Ditchy-very well-written and thought-out piece here. I do have a few "dittos", though, mainly with the regards to the show's overemphasis on Bloo(and sometimes Bloo and Mac) and the dissolution of that group dynamic between Wilt, Coco, Eduardo, Bloo and Mac, and sometimes Frankie, that worked so well in earlier seasons. I can't really think of one episode in which they were all together as a group, on some (mis)adventure or another, with the possible exception of the part in "Something Old, Something Bloo" in which Wilt, Ed, and Coco infiltrate the nursing home to try and get Bloo to come back to Foster's, but wind up settling in themselves.

While I do also enjoy seeing a bit more of the background characters, like Bloppy Pants or especially Jackie, I still feel a bit let-down that their moments to shine have largely come at the expense of the major players, like Wilt and Mr. Herriman, resulting in characters we've all come to know and love being pushed into the background. In a show like this, with so many characters, it's inevitable that there will have to be those that are considered major players, and those that are minor leaguers, and I'm one to stick with the old adage, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"; in other words, if you know that the public knows and likes a particular character, stick with that one and don't push them into the shadows. I've really felt that some of the appearances of Wilt and Coco were done purely for "token" reasons, like the writer really didn't have a "handle" on those characters, personality-wise or speech-wise, and had no clue how to use them. This, I guess, is the biggest problem associated with Lauren Faust's absence; SHE knew the character very well, like family I guess you can say, but Darrick Bachman doesn't seem to really understand them and know what to do with them, so for the most part, he's left them out. He's concentrated on ONE character, Bloo, and Bloo's personality, taking it to the extreme, instead. I guess that appeals most to the "target" audience of 4-10 year-old kids, who thrive on Bloo's chaos, and could care less about character developement, but it's resulted in a let-down for the many, many older fans of the show.

pitbulllady
pitbulllady is offline   Reply With Quote