Thread: Grindhouse
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2007, 07:40 PM   #4
Ditchy McAbandonpants
At Home

Sorry, you must have me confused with some other Harrier jet.  

For those of you who really don't like Tarantino, I recommend you try watching Jackie Brown...I feel it's a great Tarantino movie for people who don't normally like him. I mean, it's slow and talky, and not for everybody, but what I like about it is that it was just a disciplined, accomplished book adaptation, with very little of the stylistic idiosyncracies and quirks that I think irritate a lot of people about all of his other films. For me, it was the film that proved that Tarantino was actually a talented and versatile director, rather than a self-indulging film geek with a camera, which is what I think a lot of his critics had him pegged as.

As for Grindhouse, Tarantino-haters should bear in mind that it's actually two movies back-to-back, and the first one, Planet Terror, is actually directed by Robert Rodriguez (of Once Upon A Time In Mexico, Desperado, Sin City and uh, Spy Kids fame). If you're a a Rodriguez fan, maybe you can go and see the movie then leave after Planet Terror is over.

Personally, I think that most of the nostalgia factor of this project would be diluted by my total lack of exposure to 70s grindhouse cinema, but I do think it's conceptually pretty gutsy to release an exploitation double-feature in the middle of 2007. I think it would be worth my money to go just for that experience...shame I'm going to miss it, really...
Ditchy McAbandonpants is offline   Reply With Quote