View Single Post
Old 12-18-2007, 12:14 PM   #5
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Top of my list are the Christmas specials for Father Ted and the Fast Show (not sure how well-known those shows are internationally, but they were both pretty big in the UK), both of which aired in 1996, and neither of which have lost any of their charm or hilarity since. They're refreshing, funny and approach the occasion with just the right amount of cynicism to be snappy but never overly-bitter, and both shows do a wonderful job of transferring their own individual character and quirkiness to the seasonal context. With Father Ted, you have the joy of seeing the various priests getting lost in Ireland's biggest lingerie section, with unforgettable results, while the Fast Show has Channel 9's delightfully irreverent rendition of the Nativity story, some lovely interaction between Ted and Ralph, and a closing scene involving Chris the Crafty Cockney and this little girl from whom he's about to steal Xmas presents which I actually find rather touching, even if I know I probably shouldn't, but then I can be a total softie at times.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 12-18-2007 at 12:16 PM.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote