View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 05:14 AM   #34
Mulch
Blegh

DOO KDLO PXOFK  

That's not breaking the fourth wall, since Bloo doesn't acknowledge the fact that it's a fictional universe. He just talks about the "gang dynamic", which makes sense to him within the universe. It doesn't break the fourth wall, but it's definitely a meta reference, which Season 6 had a lot of. Goodbye to Bloo was particularly filled with meta-jokes like that. This is a more subtle example, from Destination Imagination:

Frankie: After all, aren't friends what Foster's is all about?

Bloo: No, Foster's is all about me!

(Or something similar; I can't remember the exact words.)
Frankie and Bloo are, of course, referring to the home as Foster's, but the joke is that it can be interpreted as the show itself, since Bloo had started to overshadow the rest of the gang as the main character. The Simpsons does this type of joke a lot, since one of the rules of that universe is that the characters are not conscious about being part of a TV show. I think the same rule applies to Foster's, and thus, meta-jokes are used to reference the show without breaking the fourth wall.

Last edited by Mulch; 03-29-2010 at 05:15 AM.
Mulch is offline   Reply With Quote