View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 04:23 AM   #16
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

I received a fairly official-looking one claiming to be from Ebay a few years ago, asking for a whole wad of personal details. What surrendered the game early on is that they wanted to know not only my email address, but the password to my email account as well. Now, what business could that possibly be of theirs? I didn't stick with it long enough to know if my PIN number was also featured on their list of demands...either way, like hell were they getting anything from me.

Fortunately, my junk mail filter does a reliable job of barring suspect emails from my inbox overall, so all I usually have to worry about are chain emails passed on from "well-intentioned" friends advising me to forward them to ten more unlucky souls in order to get a free hand-out from Bill Gates/save a non-existent sick child dying from cancer/avoid dying a slow and agonising death within the next few days. I covered some of my feelings on the latter in the "Post to Post" thread last week. Such chain emails are a waste of space.

If anyone's interested, they have a whole directory dedicated to individual email scams over on Snopes.com. It makes for a pretty entertaining read: http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/scams/scams.asp

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 11-01-2007 at 05:44 AM.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote