Thread: Mother of Mac
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 02:01 AM   #91
WiltsAKGirl17
Dorkfish

Now all I need are dance fans and I can go to Cama'i!  

Send a message via MSN to WiltsAKGirl17

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl_named_goo View Post
In Foster's universe, Imaginary Friends are regarded with the same wide range of sympathy as cats and dogs in our universe. In our universe, one person with a dog who had to move would spend lots of time and money searching for an apartment that allows dogs, and perhaps even live in a place below their standards to keep their pet. Other people would give their dog to a friend or find them new home. Other people would just drop them off at a local shelter, and other people still would abandon the dog in a park or even have them put down. I personally would make the sacrifices to keep my dog, but who am I to judge those who would find them a new home?? How about people who give up their pet because they have behavior problems or are too large and hyper for their children?

Where does the line of sympathy stop? Some people will do anything for a dog or cat, but many don't care about "lesser" pets like hamsters, ferrets, rats, snakes, goldfish etc. Where would Imaginary Friends fit?

Mac's Mom just has a lower regard for IF's than Mac or the Foster's. She's not a bad person, and in fact, she opted to find a new home for Bloo not because she is cold, but because she felt keeping Bloo was hindering her son's development. Even if she was wrong, can we question her intentions?
Thank you very much for the clarification, Ms. Faust.

I find it interesting that IF’s are given the same range of sympathy as a household pet. I disagree, but I find it fascinating. However, it leads me to ask this: why is that? Given that IF is created by a human being, doesn’t that made the vast majority of them (excluding animal friends like Chewy and the imaginary puppies, and “object friends,” such as Oveny from “Cookie Dough”) human by default?

But I’m not here to ponder the finer points of where IF’s fall into the social spectrum of Foster’s universe; the purpose of this thread is to discuss Mac’s mother. In some ways, I can understand her reasons (as I perceive them) for sending Bloo away-- she wants only the best for Mac, just as any mother would want. I know that under similar circumstances, my parents would have done the exact same thing if they thought it would be beneficial to me. I’m not necessarily supporting or denouncing her decisions and actions; I’m simply saying that I understand them.

Anyone can cook, but only the fearless can be great. ~ Ratatouille
WiltsAKGirl17 is offline   Reply With Quote