View Single Post
Old 08-18-2006, 05:59 AM   #2
Voxxyn
Banned

Here are my choices, using my personal categories:

ALL-AROUND BEST: "World Wide Wabbit" ~ To this day, the high mark that all other episodes are to be judged by. I know not every single one will be as genius as this one, so I'm thankful that at least MOST are of high quality.

ALL-AROUND WORST: "When There's A Wilt, There's A Way" ~ You can criticize "Bendy" all you want, but at least nobody got abused physically or emotionally. This was completely unfunny, except Eduardo's appearance. And I'm sorry, but I hate it when the writers undermine their talent with lame "SHOCK'D! Oh, you were expecting a happy ending? OWNED, YOU LITTLE FANBOY!" endings like these.

PERSONAL FAVORITE: "Setting A President" ~ Unfortunately, this episode doesn't get the appreciation it deserves. I'll admit that it probably a tad more inconsistencies than is normal for a cartoon(Particulary Mac's flawed list of "Classic Bloo Antics", and Madame Foster's out-of-character apathy towards her IMAGINARY FRIEND leaving), but I'm just glad that they didn't make it "Imposter's Home II" or another instance of a third candidate "shockingly" beating out the first two.

It was a bold move to portray Frankie AND Herriman sympathetically, despite both of them being authority figures, in a mass-media climate where nearly all fictional authority figures are portrayed as being corrupt. It paid off greatly. This episode not only had some very funny moments, but it had genuine drama and heart, while still ensuring us that the beloved redhead/hare duo will clash in future episodes. It made me appreciate Herriman a lot more. And as for Frankie, she showed that she really does care about fairness and justice towards all the IFs--even the uptight rabbit that loves making her life hard. These two may be strict sometimes and may even take up the role of antagonists once in a while(Like in "Land of the Flea"), but it's obvious that they are both decent people who believe in Foster's cause(And they certainly would NEVER be as cruel as Madame Foster in FGTE) I'd love to see more episodes with a primary focus on their love/hate professional relationship, which are of the same quality and class as shown on this episode.

MOST HATED: "Imposter's Home For, Um... Make 'Em Up Pals" ~ Absolutely terrible, I'm sorry to say. I hated hated hated hated HATED this episode. To this day, even after the semi-redemption provided by "Setting A President", the very thought of "Imposter's" sours me to no end.

And with regards to Ms. Faust's defense on the ToonZone forums... I understand that not everything will please everybody despite their best efforts, but the episode basically played out as if they were intentionally out to upset Frankie's fanbase. And I agree that conflict is important, but I'm not so sure it applies here. "Conflict is necessary!" is a good argument to make if you're talking about, say, "Duchess of Wails" when it's Mac and Bloo vs. the very house that originally accepted them into their extended family. Conflict isn't the problem with "Imposter's", it's simply that they went too far. And to be honest, I have a problem with Ms. Faust's strawman-esque description of detractors as being "people who want everything to be roses and sunshine", because that certainly ain't me. Frankie's suffering is very entertaining when done right. Dedicating an entire episode solely to being completely cruel to a beloved character, at the hands of a jerk that even non-fans ended up hating, isn't. Not at all.

FUNNIEST MOMENT: Anything Herriman's hilarious, funky side is shown. That should be obvious.

MOST PAINFUL MOMENT: The ending to IHFU...MEUP. It broke my heart more than the endings to Bambi, Star Trek II and Super Metroid combined. I don't think I've ever wanted to transport myself into a fictional world so I could make things right this badly.

The ending to "Foster's Goes To Europe" is a very close second. I really felt for poor Mac. My respect for Madame Foster is still yet to recover from what she did here. The only redeeming value, aside from the entire episode subtly showing how classy Frankie really is, is that at least Eurotrish gets to return to her homeland--but even that is ruined by the others being mean to her in the credits. Grrrr.

FAVORITE MOMENT: Frankie winning the election in "Setting A President" was just wonderful.

MOST TOUCHING MOMENT: Mac and Goo's conversation at the end of "Go Goo Go". Considering the episodes that preceded this, I was surprised to learn that the Foster's crew was still capable of showing genuine heart and compassion.

Last edited by Voxxyn; 09-06-2006 at 12:47 AM.
Voxxyn is offline   Reply With Quote