View Single Post
Old 09-20-2006, 07:44 PM   #20
scary_dream
Ol' Grandpa Trout

Now in radio-flavored.  

Hmm... anyhow, back on topic.

I know everyone was having trouble thinking of one for Wilt, but I think I found an ok one. I had completely forgotten about it until I put in the CD today! I couldn't really imagine it being Wilt's permanent theme, but I could see it maybe describing his times between abandonment and finding Foster's. It's by Radiohead, and it's really slow and pretty.

No Alarms and No Surprises By Radiohead

A heart that's full up like a landfill
A job that slowly kills you
bruises that won't heal.

You look so tired, unhappy
Bring down the government
They don't, they don't speak for us.

I'll take the quiet life
a handshake with carbon monoxide

With no alarms and no surprises
no alarms and no surprises
no alarms and no surprises

Silence. Silence.

This is my final fit, my final bellyache

With No alarms and no surprises
No alarms and no surprises
No alarms and no surprises please

Such a pretty house and such a pretty garden

No alarms and no surprises (X3)

please...

I know it has a slight hint of being suicidal, and while I DON'T think that that part really pertains to Wilt, much of it still does. I bolded the parts that especially make me think of how he might have felt... A heart that's full up like a landfill and (mental) bruises that won't heal. Aggrivation at the government for not speaking up for him (or other IFs) whenever something terrible happens to them (apparently they have few if any legal rights, so I'm guessing that if anyone purposely hurt Wilt, they got off close to scott free). In the part that goes "this is my final fit, my final bellyache", I could kind of get a mental picture of him promising himself that he wouldn't "burden" anyone with his own troubles, and "such a pretty house" obviously brought on in my head the image of him seeing Foster's as kind of the light at the end of his troubled journey.

Eh... sorry if I got TOO into it here. I was listening to this song on the long drive home and I had plenty of time to think about it lol. Don't burn me at the stake, either, because I'm not trying to make it angsty. It's not a "teenage angst" song at all, because the song is actually about a grown guy trying to deal with his own troubles.

Last edited by scary_dream; 09-20-2006 at 07:50 PM.
scary_dream is offline   Reply With Quote