View Single Post
Old 08-29-2007, 11:58 AM   #24
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

Actually, if you remember the Scooby Doo movie did not ignore the whole "guy in a costume" gag and I'm not talking about the the opening scene with the Luna Ghost. If you remember, Fred stated twice very clearly there was no such things as monsters because they all knew the monsters they met were costumes.

Which also explains why Fred didn't believe Scooby about those Dark Elf creatures existing because they knew from past expierence that monsters didn't exist (or so they thought). Add to that Velma thinking the Dark Elf that grabbed her was wearing a mask and when she tried to yank it off, found out the hard way he was real.

This also explains why Daphne and Shaggy were more scared then usual because not only were they dealing with REAL monsters, but they were dealing a HUGE number of real monsters. The whole "secret villain" at the end is another hint towards the whole it was a guy in a suit joke so i felt they touched it clearly.

I didn't have a problem with Velma at all. I liked the fact they actually gave her some sex appeal and I loved Cardellini's impression of Velma's voice. Fred I actually liked because while he was stupid and doofy at times, he was a hell of a lot more active then his toon counterpart. Toon Fred always seemed stiff and bland to me.

At least his character here got a little more substance, and to be honest, I think the fact a blond guy wearing ascot has an ego of such large proportions is a great joke in and of itself. Gellar though you can't really blame for being stuck in her "Buffy" mode because some actors simply can't escape who they are.

Jason Statham, Vince Vaghun, Owen Wilson, Ben Stiller, they all ultimately play the same kind of character in all their movies and sometimes it's just the only way they can act. Very few actors can take such drastic transformations into completely unrecognizable identities like say Gary Oldman. Compare his performance in "Batman Begins" and "The Fifth Element".

Tell me how easy it is to tell it's the same guy. I want to touch up one very common MISCONCEPTION about Hollywood, something that bugs me alot every time I hear someone say. Originality is NOT DEAD in Hollywood, originality is being SUPPRESSED in Hollywood, that's what's happening.

There are thousands of people writing original movie scripts every day, the problem is that movie companies and executives feel original movies are too risky to try and sell. They want to spend millions of dollars on a project they know will succeed and so they pick franchises that people are familiar with.

They turn down original scripts all the time in favor for something more well known, that's why they make movies off of remakes, comic books, books, TV shows, cartoons etc. Plus, when you mean original ideas are we talking super amazing quality original movies, or do you mean movies that just isn't based of a previous format?

Because Superbad for example is an original film and not based on anything. So is Balls of Fury, Death Sentence, Hatchet, Hostel, War, Wild Hogs etc. Now you guys may not consider those movies to be as good as Superbad but they are ORIGINAL movies. They are not based off a Japanese movie, a remake, a comic book or a novel or video game.

Original movies do exist, but it all depends on whether people are referring to original movies they like or dislike. Because all those movies I listed are original films, whether you think they are good films or not, they are still original.
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote