View Single Post
Old 11-28-2006, 08:04 AM   #15
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by antgirl1 View Post
"Aw, but I really wanted you to see my MANSION." -Jordan
Yeah, seriously, lol! If Jordan didn't sound like a little kid whining to his dad in that scene, and Wilt didn't sound just like a parent too tired to argue taking the easy route and giving in, I don't like spiders! The way that Wilt patiently showed the younger Jordan how to shoot a basket, how to hold the ball properly, and so forth, was just like a dad showing his kid how to do something, whether it was playing basketball or riding his first bike. Same goes for when Jordan tells Wilt that Wilt was his hero, and that he's responsible for Jordan becoming the better person that he is, rather than a better basketball player. In the past, that role of really shaping the character of a young boy into a decent man fell upon his father, or other male adult role model if the father was dead, and that's why so many young boys eventually wind up in trouble and become criminals-they have no father figures to guide them and teach them things like character. Even that good-natured ribbing there at the end, when Wilt and Jordan are playing basketball and Wilt is winning by a huge margin, suggests the sort of dynamic I used to see between fathers and their now-adult sons. I can recall my father and grandfather having similar little challenges, usually about working on a car or fixing something, since neither were into playing sports.

pitbulllady
pitbulllady is offline   Reply With Quote