Thread: Wilt's Stitches
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2006, 07:59 AM   #21
Verity
Newly Abandoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBlooGirl View Post
HOLD IT! I just had a really freaky thought, as to HOW Wilt got those injuries. Know how sometimes when basketball players shoot a hoop they manage to break the glass behind it? (Considering it WAS glass, which I'm not sure they still use anymore but did in the old days.) What if Wilt was playing, say one-on-one with the basketball-head guy, when his rival throws the ball hard, trying to make a score, and he ends up shattering the glass, with Wilt right underneath it???

Hmmm....
I kind of like that idea. Now don't think I'm sadistic - but it makes sense to me, and it's not too awful. I've read worse (which is how I learnt not to read 'angst' fanfics).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbulllady View Post
No, it would NOT seem right without the Wilt-Man there, for sure! Given how popular he is, and the merchandising potential he carries, it would indeed seem ridiculous to write him off, even if that did mean giving him a fairy-tale happy ending and having him be adopted by his original creator after all these years. That would be like turning the proverbial cash cow into hamburger patties, something that can only be enjoyed once, then it's gone. And while there are probably many fans who would like to see Wilt somehow restored to his former physical appearance, with both arms and both eyes, I don't feel that way. It's not that I want Wilt to be handicapped, but because I don't think he IS handicapped. His scars serve as a reminder of what he has overcome and what other people can overcome, and to show that people with amputations or other "disabilities" are just as capable of doing things that the rest of us are if they don't dwell on their differences, which Wilt never has done. As he is, he's more of a role model and an inspiration than if he had both arms and both eyes, and I'd wager that he's probably helped to make a lot of the really younger fans more comfortable and more accepting of people who have such differences, since young children are usually a bit freaked out by people who've lost limbs, or who are blind, or use a wheelchair, or whatever.

pitbulllady
Couldn't agree with you more. Foster's without Wilt would be like the sea without water. I hope that if he finds his creator he'll keep staying at Foster's, but keep in touch with them (perhaps). I wouldn't want the person to become a recurring character, like Goo and Cheese.

And I think what you say is true; he does not in the least seem disabled. He can do anything that most people can do. It's good for kids to see that handicapped people can have a "normal" life, AND loveable personalities.