Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community

Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community (http://www.fosters-home.com/forum/index.php)
-   Way Off Topic (http://www.fosters-home.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Asperger Syndrome (http://www.fosters-home.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1852)

emperor26 04-23-2007 02:14 PM

Asperger Syndrome

Does anyone knows about this condition?

I'm just curious, and sorry if I brough it up.

That is all.

Voxxyn 04-23-2007 03:01 PM

I'm diagnosed with it. It's related to autism, and it's mainly characterized by social awkwardness, narrow but intense interests and peculiarities in speech and language... all of which describe me in some way.

emperor26 04-23-2007 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voxxyn (Post 41510)
I'm diagnosed with it. It's related to autism, and it's mainly characterized by social awkwardness, narrow but intense interests and peculiarities in speech and language... all of which describe me in some way.

Thanks for the info, Voxxyn.

The reason I ask that question is because that my parents thinks I might have this condition.

But, I want to make sure whether I do or not.

Again, thank you.

pitbulllady 04-23-2007 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voxxyn (Post 41510)

My younger brother has this condition, which sadly went undiagnosed until well into adulthood. He's been labeled "retarded", "ADD/HDS", you name it. It's just take that long, I guess, for research to catch up and figure out that this is NOT a form of mental retardation, but my brother basically fell through the system. Everything you said fits him to a T, though I know that each individual is different. One of his speech peculiarities is that for much of his life, he refused(or actually couldn't) refer to certain objects or people by their names, so he made up names for them. He is virtually incapable of writing with a pen or pencil, yet he can type accurately.

pitbulllady

Sparky 04-23-2007 06:33 PM

You should certainly visit The Asperger Disorder Homepage. I've been in contact with many people with Asperger's online, as I am asexual and asexuality is rather common among people with Asperger's; therefore we have many in our community. So in general people in the asexual community are encouraged to learn about Asperger's. :terrsmile:

Please remember that while it's good to learn about the disorder on your own, it's never wise to self-diagnose. Find a someone qualified to evaluate you.

Mr. Marshmallow 04-23-2007 08:14 PM

I understand this probably might not be a "valid example" but on the show Boston Legal, a character named Jerry Espensen suffers from this disease and alot of the symptoms you mentioned match how he acted in the show.

It looks like alot of shaking, emotional distress, fumbling kind of thing, of course it's just something I saw and thought might be helpful to share.

Voxxyn 04-23-2007 09:13 PM

Asperger's isn't a disease, at least not to me. It's a set of complex mental symptoms that can have both positive and negative effects.

derangedperson 04-23-2007 10:31 PM

I was diagnosed with it in my junior year of HS. Ever since I was younger, I was using bigger words than an eight-year old should know, developed a massive interest in music, movies and writing, and still have (to a degree) an annoying tendency to focus in on one thing and beat it into people's heads.

But other than that, I'm fine.

emperor26 04-24-2007 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky (Post 41539)
You should certainly visit The Asperger Disorder Homepage. I've been in contact with many people with Asperger's online, as I am asexual and asexuality is rather common among people with Asperger's; therefore we have many in our community. So in general people in the asexual community are encouraged to learn about Asperger's. :terrsmile:

Please remember that while it's good to learn about the disorder on your own, it's never wise to self-diagnose. Find a someone qualified to evaluate you.

Thanks for the website and your thoughts, Sparky. I appreciate it. :D

LaBloo 04-24-2007 12:25 PM

I Have A Book About AS. My Brother has.