PDA

View Full Version : Goofball John Magee

Pages : [1] 2 3

Bloo2daMacs
08-17-2006, 01:48 PM
The guy that came to Foster's and said he was amn imaginary friend, turned out he was. Created by John Larry McGee in Canada. Is the mascot for his creators canadian football team. He annoyed Frankie to no end. Personally, I absolutely HATED goofball. He torchured Frannie- er... Frankie. The only time he was nice to her was at the end of the episode, but he still called her Frannie. How do you guys feel about John- errr melony- errr GOOFBALL?!!
::)

Maybe you can change my mind about him, although you probabaly can't.

Cassini90125
08-17-2006, 01:53 PM
Don't get me started. >:(

One Radical Dude
08-17-2006, 02:11 PM
I don't really care for Goofball McGee (not Magee :P ), but I can't totally blame him for what happened in IHFUMEUP. Frankie was too quick to judge Goofball, and assume that Goofball is just some kooky teenage boy, pretending to be an IF. I know I'm in the minority to say this, but that's what I honestly believe.

kageri
08-17-2006, 05:36 PM
I thought he was funny.

*brick'd*

But seriously, I liked his voice though.

Bloo2daMacs
08-17-2006, 05:48 PM
Don't get me started. >:(

I knew you were gonna get mad about this thread, but don't get me wrong, I hated hime too. I dislike him with great great great great great great great intensity. sorry if you dispise me for making this thread. :(

Cassini90125
08-17-2006, 05:50 PM
I thought he was funny.

*brick'd*

But seriously, I liked his voice though.

My only question is whether or not his trunk will hold the shape of the knot I'd like to tie it in.

Gimme back my brick. :)

I knew you were gonna get mad about this thread, but don't get me wrong, I hated hime too. I dislike him with great great great great great great great intensity. sorry if you dispise me for making this thread. :(

Not to worry, I use Goofball threads as an excuse to yell.

Voxxyn
08-18-2006, 06:59 AM
Personally, Goofball's right up there with Paris Hilton and Crazy Frog in my book of most hated things... EVER.

kageri
08-18-2006, 11:49 AM
If I'm unfortunate enough to meet him on the same day I'm planning to see one of my favorite bands live, well... let's just say I'd do to him what Cartman did to Scott Tenorman.

Too bad he doesn't have parents. Oh well, you can make him eat his creators instead.

McGee's Jabberwock
08-18-2006, 02:16 PM
That ep was a bit sadistic to poor old Frankie.:frankiemad: Missing the concert...

Cassini90125
08-18-2006, 03:01 PM
Sadistic? It was pure cruelty. I will never forgive Goofball, and I don't plan on forgetting Bloo's and Mr. Herriman's contributions to Frankie's misery, either.

DoubleLatte
08-19-2006, 01:30 AM
Sadistic? It was pure cruelty. I will never forgive Goofball, and I don't plan on forgetting Bloo's and Mr. Herriman's contributions to Frankie's misery, either.

Well technically 'sadistic' and 'cruel' are both the same thing, so all of the above. ;) Anyway, yeah, that episode was just...wrong, and sick on so many levels. I saw a rerun of it tonight and I felt my gut twisting once again at the sight of Goofball. I love Tom Kenny and his voice work on Spongebob, but Goofball's voice was just GRATING.

I don't really care for Goofball McGee (not Magee :P ), but I can't totally blame him for what happened in IHFUMEUP. Frankie was too quick to judge Goofball, and assume that Goofball is just some kooky teenage boy, pretending to be an IF. I know I'm in the minority to say this, but that's what I honestly believe.

You're right; Frankie was quick to judge him, but I think any of us would have reacted the same way to an identical image of a teenage boy wearing a clown's nose and a polka dotted tie. I probably would have yanked on his nose right from the beginning to prove my point and save myself an entire evening of torture. Poor Frankie. Never in my life had I ever felt so bad for her. I keep wondering why Foster's won't hire anybody else to lend her a hand. It's physically impossible to do everything Frankie does in one day, specially in a mansion as big as Foster's. She'll wear herself out before she even reaches her 30's.

ch3353-h4xx0rrrr
08-19-2006, 06:16 AM
Frankie wasn't too quick to judge. He looked like a teenage boy with a red nose and a "crazy tie", and he sounded so unsure and had to rely on Frankie's sayings. Made ME mad. I don't like the impact Goofball had on Bloo, either.

GOOFBALL: PROMOTING LAZINESS, LYING, SELF DEFAMATION, AND HATRED IN TWO COUNTRIES.

Cassini90125
08-19-2006, 06:46 AM
GOOFBALL: PROMOTING LAZINESS, LYING, SELF DEFAMATION, AND HATRED IN TWO COUNTRIES.

That would make an excellent caption for his "Wanted" poster. :)

Kzinistzerg
08-19-2006, 10:03 AM
Urgh. I saw that episode last night (well, this morning, it was on at 1) and he gives canadians a bad name. I like canadians, and they don't sound like him. Though they do have funny accents.

One Radical Dude
08-19-2006, 11:35 AM
Goofball definitely didn't look like an IF, but the same can be said for Prince Charming (an Imaginary Man). :P Hey, "Goof Goof McGoof" looked more like an IF than Goofball McGee did. 8D

Scribble
08-20-2006, 02:02 AM
I probably would have yanked on his nose right from the beginning to prove my point and save myself an entire evening of torture.

Actually, apart from Goofball being one of the most irritating characters ever, that was another thing that really annoyed me during the episode. I found the whole episode was just... so annoying! I just wanted Frankie to pull that damn red nose off!!! >.<

billytheskink
08-20-2006, 02:41 PM
Now, I'm no fan of him. He was quite obnoxious and the writers left a hole in his backstory that was almost as annoying as he was (why would an imaginary friend who is a football mascot have homework?).

However, his conversation with Frankie about phones in Canada was hilarious.

Mr. Marshmallow
09-03-2006, 02:07 PM
I'm a Frankie fan, you know that, and you probably already can guess how I feel towards Goofball.

It's very simple...

I don't hate him.....I loathe him. I despise, detest, disgust, and dynamically dislike him to a definition that knows no bounds!

Sorry, I think that just needed to be said.

Cassini90125
09-03-2006, 02:49 PM
I've said that, but it bears repeating. :)

Voxxyn
09-03-2006, 06:13 PM
LONG OVERDUE EDIT: I deleted the original post because, quite frankly, it was a very coldhearted and stupid thing for me to say, and I hope you can forgive me for it. I wrote and posted solely out of pure anger upon seeing the name on the topic listing, and simply forgot about it until recently. I would never truly do something like that, and I apologize. Goofball's family seem like OK people.

In fact, upon recently rewatching "Imposter's Home" after many months of bashing it... I must say that it isn't THAT bad. I admit it, I've become so fixated with Goofball being a blatant moocher and Frankie missing her concert, that I forgot that it actually has somewhat of a happy ending. It was just nice to see Frankie NOT taking things personally, and instead doing her best to smile along and be a good sport about it. And she looks adorable with that clown nose.

I still hate Goofball, though. :(

rukift
09-30-2006, 08:54 AM
Am I like the only person here who doesn't hate goofball? :P I thought he was cool, he was a funny character. So layed back...

Voxxyn
09-30-2006, 10:10 AM
It's not so much what he is, but what he DID to my favorite character... :frankiemad: :(

rukift
10-02-2006, 02:57 PM
Oh come on, Frankie's life can't be perfect. Putting up with Goofball was just another bump in the road. She lived.

Cassini90125
10-02-2006, 03:05 PM
Oh come on, Frankie's life can't be perfect. Putting up with Goofball was just another bump in the road. She lived.

I see, so we were supposed to enjoy watching Frankie suffer? Sorry, but I don't enjoy seeing the people I love go through a living hell like that. Goofball should be chained to a battleship anchor and dropped in the central Pacific for what he put her through. >:(

Voxxyn
10-02-2006, 04:35 PM
Oh come on, Frankie's life can't be perfect.

If Frankie were the kind of character that deserved to suffer such a cruel ordeal(like Duchess or Vicky the Babysitter or Mandy), or were an irritating Mary Sue-like character whose life is usually 100% perfect, then it would've been hilarious. But as it stands, she is already underappreciated and sympathetic as it is, so giving her an episode where she gets trashed from start-to-finish without any payback at all, isn't funny unless you hate her and/or love "bashing" humor.

And I'm sorry, but there is no excuse whatsover for the cruelty that happened in that episode. Goofball turning out to be an imaginary friend does not change his deliberately reckless behavior. And Frankie being wrong in the end does NOT AT ALL erase all the genuine hard work, dedication and kindness she's shown both before and since in the course of the series, to the point that it's easy to shrug it off with "bah, she deserved to miss the concert". It just doesn't.

Cassini90125
10-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Well said, dude. :frankiesmile:

Mr. Marshmallow
10-02-2006, 07:16 PM
No arguements here.

rukift
10-04-2006, 03:32 AM
although I really don't feel like arguing over here, I think Goofball being "chained to a battleship anchor and dropped in the central Pacific" is a whole lot meaner than your sweet Frankie missing a concert. :|

Cassini90125
10-04-2006, 06:16 AM
I don't care. He put someone I care very deeply about through hell and got away with it. I want vengence. :terrence:

Voxxyn
10-04-2006, 08:28 AM
It was Frankie missing the concert she'd been waiting a long time to see... AFTER(and DESPITE) all the excessive amount of work she did that day, being embarassed in front of the entire house and getting verbally trashed by all of her friends, ALL at the hands of a complete jerk who gets away with it. AND it was a complete slap in the face to one of the show's most sympathetic and vulnerable characters--who has become even more so after that incident.

And I think the whole "human or imaginary" plotline was an excuse to hide the fact that the episode was nothing more than the "Let's Bash Frankie Foster Half-Hour!". If Frankie just pulled the clown nose instantly upon his arrival, and realized from the very beginning that Goofball was an imaginary friend--chances are things would've played out the EXACT SAME WAY they did in the episode, only replace the "Goof Goof McGoof" finale with Goofball deliberately creating a giant mess that destroys the entire house, just as Frankie was about to finally leave for the concert.

So, no, it's not just "sweet Frankie missing a concert".

lucyrocks73
10-04-2006, 04:47 PM
I didn't read the entire thread before posting like I normally do, but let me say this:

HE TOOK ADVANTAGE OF FRANKIE AND TREATED HER LIKE CRAP!!!

He can jump out a window for all I care.

And that is my two cents, for I must go put my little brother to bed.

-Marty 8-)

Mr. Marshmallow
10-05-2006, 06:32 PM
I think I speak for everyone when I say that for a future warning to anyone who supports "Imposter's" or the character Goofball, I would suggest arming your ass from head to toe with bullet proof vests because any support for either of those two will probably get you shot around here.

Including me :scaryberry:. But seriously, this episode (much like "I Only have Surprise for you") seemed to just rely on the same hurtful joke: let's treat someone like dog crap for the entire program and make every single second, minute, and moment an agonizing living hell as many times as we could.

And that's what really hurts me about this episode. It had an idea that COULD have been used more wisely instead of just bashing Frankie over the head with a "you suck" baseball bat every 5 seconds. Frankie is too sweet, and has too big of a heart to honestly take any of this crap, she doesn't deserve it and neither did the viewers.

Even non Frankie fans can see this was practically a character assasination. The REAL "kill" part for me, the one that really hurt me when I watched this episode was how the scene and music played out when Frankie scrubbed the floors. The whole slow dissolve technique while she scrubbed and had that sad look on her face.

That just did it for me :'(, that just nailed it in that this was hell and that sadly, no payback was ever given. Frankie didn't have to apologize for JACK SQUATT! The only person who honestly deserved to apologize was Goofball, no character's behavior in that episode comes close to bring as LOW as Goofball's.

kageri
10-05-2006, 06:39 PM
Goofball was a jerk, but I liked his voice and his pigeon walk and all the alternative names for Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.

Cassini90125
10-05-2006, 06:46 PM
The REAL "kill" part for me, the one that really hurt me when I watched this episode was how the scene and music played out when Frankie scrubbed the floors. The whole slow dissolve technique while she scrubbed and had that sad look on her face.

I cried during that part, it was so upsetting. It honestly hurt that much. I hate Goofball for that scene more than any other part of the episode. No one should have to go through a day like that, Frankie least of all. Doesn't she put up with enough as it is?

Voxxyn
10-05-2006, 08:03 PM
I personally will forever hate this episode and loathe Goofball. "Time heals all wounds" doesn't apply to me here at all. It's been over a year since this episode first debuted, yet my hatred of it has only intensified, and the very thought of it's events STILL makes me feel very sad and hopeless. The only thing Ms. Faust's "defense" on Toon Zone did for me was make me believe that they're lying about "just trying to be funny" with this episode, because I fail to see the comedy in such cruel and malicious character bashing.

As much as I admire the Foster's staff for their talent, I've still yet to forgive them for allowing this episode to exist. "Setting A President" was a step in the right direction, but it's not enough to erase the traumatic memories of "Imposter's". I'm counting on Season 5 to prove that "SAP" wasn't a fluke, and that they've actually learned their lesson.

kaytea
10-05-2006, 08:36 PM
I have one thing to say Goofball haters and Fans

CHILLOUT
I mean really Bloo has done things to make my fave character mac Misarble and you don't see me hating him or making a big fuss over it
who cares if some character no matter how sweet they are have a tough time in an episodes

all the characters have faced hard times

I like frankie in all she actually one of the rare female characters I like caus normally I depise female character no matter how sweet they are
But I don't think she should get special treatmeant I don't think its fair
since the other characters have faced hard times

For example: when bloo was forced into being adopted
and is deprived(sp?)of sleep and food and if mac didn't hear Bloo's call for help he bloo could have died (IMO thats worse then frankie missing a concert)

oh and if you were to kill Goofball frankie wouldn't really like you very much
why becaus Goofball is an imaginary friend and you know how much she cares
about imaginary friends

Now I want to arguments here okay

Cassini90125
10-05-2006, 09:15 PM
who cares if some character no matter how sweet they are have a tough time in an episodes

Who cares? I won't bother dignifying that with a response.

I don't think she should get special treatmeant I don't think its fair

I was not aware that being treated with dignity and respect constitutes "special treatment". She certainly got neither in "Imposter's".

You don't seriously think I'm going to change my position on this, do you? Because I can assure you right now that that will never happen. It would be an act of betrayal as far as I'm concerned, and I am not going to betray the woman I love most in this world for any reason whatsoever.

oh and if you were to kill Goofball frankie wouldn't really like you very much
why becaus Goofball is an imaginary friend and you know how much she cares
about imaginary friends

I concede that point. However, it does not change how I feel in the slightest. I despise him for the hell he put her through and I always will.

Now I want to arguments here okay

Too late.

Voxxyn
10-05-2006, 10:15 PM
The difference is, that episode you mentioned("The Sweet Stench of Success") was a crowd-pleaser that sent a valuable message about friendship, while "Imposter's" basically tells children that nice people finish last and jerks rule the world.

kaytea
10-05-2006, 11:54 PM
will someone just lock this thread its causing to many agruments
and making people hate each other

oh and if it will make all you frankie fans happy I'll draw a picture
of Goofball in serious pain =D

taranchula
10-06-2006, 06:20 AM
I really don't want to lock the thread, but I will advise to everyone to just chill out a little, I know some of you have strong opinions on the matter and I know there is nothing I can do or say to change those opinions, and that's okay.

I just hope everthing stays civil and does not elevate into an out of control mess, the episode aired the way it did and there is nothing any one of us can do to change it.

Now to counter balance all of this hate for Mr. Magee, I will say one positive thing about the character.... "I liked his tie", thank you!

Cassini90125
10-06-2006, 06:32 AM
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Every thread has it's loud moments now and then, particularly on emotionally charged topics like this one. It'll calm down on it's own, I think. 8-)

Voxxyn
10-06-2006, 09:16 AM
My hatred is directed 100% towards the character and the episode, and NOT to anybody who might've enjoyed it. I admit I'm easily upset by false straw-man arguments like "Frankie's life can't always be perfect!" and "Foster's can't be happy-go-lucky all the time!", which explains why some of my posts on this matter can get heated. But I don't intend to insult or disrespect anybody else.

I'm sorry, but with what he did, it's nearly impossible for me to just "chill down" and accept things as they are. I know that the episode played out the way it did and that nothing will ever change it--which only infuriates me even more.

The only thing that could genuinely heal the wounds of this episode(Aside from some quality Frankie episodes in Season 5) is if Lauren, either on the production blog or a surprise post here, finally acknowledges just how painful this episode was to a lot of us, and promise to never do any more blatant "character bashing" episodes again. But I'm realistic enough to know that'd never actually happen, so I'm just hoping for Season 5 to deliver.

kageri
10-06-2006, 01:07 PM
"I liked his tie", thank you!

Another somewhat positive thing about this episode: Frankie looked cute in the red nose.

kaytea
10-06-2006, 02:00 PM
Another somewhat positive thing about this episode: Frankie looked cute in the red nose.

I know ^o^ :frankiesmile:

Voxxyn
10-07-2006, 12:31 PM
I won't deny that she looked great in the clown nose, or that the title was clever, or that the premise(The possibility of a human disguising himself as an imaginary friend, NOT the anti-Frankie mentality) COULD'VE resulted into something superb.

But no 'positive' you can think of will justify the cruelty perpetrated by this episode and Goofball. :(

Invader Bloo
10-07-2006, 01:55 PM
I don't care. He put someone I care very deeply about through hell and got away with it. I want vengence. :terrence:

You want me to do a Fanfic where he's stuck in a room with Cheese? That would be vengence. Cheese is so annoying Goofball would die.

kaytea
10-07-2006, 03:26 PM
You want me to do a Fanfic where he's stuck in a room with Cheese? That would be vengence. Cheese is so annoying Goofball would die.
I think goofball is too laid back to even care XDD
to tale the truth

but its your story so do what you like

Invader Bloo
10-08-2006, 11:30 AM
Oh yeah & Goo. ;)
I may start later on. Just for us Goofball haters.

Voxxyn
10-08-2006, 01:51 PM
I'd twistedly delight at the idea of Goofball suffering for his crimes--although my REAL desire is for Frankie to get her long-overdue apology and penance for the way she got mistreated in that episode.

Invader Bloo
10-08-2006, 04:02 PM
Part 1 is up.

Sparky
10-08-2006, 04:15 PM
Part 1 is up.

??? Part 1 of what is up where? :P If you're talking about part 1 of the Imposter's ep is up online for download, please post this in the Episodes On Computer Thread. :)

edit: Oh, a story. You should have clarified. :) And maybe you should post a link to it here; one day this forum will be so full of posts that people won't be able to find it easily.

Invader Bloo
10-08-2006, 04:43 PM
It's in the fanfic section. I personally don't care about episodes online now that the season DVDs are coming out. I'll post a link when I'm finished.

BlooCheese
10-14-2006, 11:59 AM
I was just thinking. Goofball wasn't that awful to Frankie. Yes, he made her extremely miserable, but he did tell her that she took good care of him at the very end of the episode. At least give him credit for that.

CCMars
10-14-2006, 12:30 PM
It's been a while since I last watched the episode, but was it ever clarified why Goofball was afraid of taking off his red nose? That annoyed me throughout the entire episode; there was no reason why he couldn't just show Frankie his elephant nose (while talking with her and Mr. Herriman within the PRIVACY of the latter's office) and be done with it.

Voxxyn
10-14-2006, 03:00 PM
I was just thinking. Goofball wasn't that awful to Frankie. Yes, he made her extremely miserable, but he did tell her that she took good care of him at the very end of the episode. At least give him credit for that.

I fail to see how a quick throwaway compliment is supposed to make up for all the undeserved torture she endured that day. Unless the day comes that Goofball apologizes to Frankie and takes her to see one of her favorite bands in concert as penance, I'm not giving him any credit at all.

It's been a while since I last watched the episode, but was it ever clarified why Goofball was afraid of taking off his red nose? That annoyed me throughout the entire episode; there was no reason why he couldn't just show Frankie his elephant nose (while talking with her and Mr. Herriman within the PRIVACY of the latter's office) and be done with it.

Because, like I already said, the whole "human or imaginary" plot was just an excuse to hide the fact that the episode's real purpose was to be as cruel and malicious to Frankie as possible.

BlooCheese
10-14-2006, 04:04 PM
Because, like I already said, the whole "human or imaginary" plot was just an excuse to hide the fact that the episode's real purpose was to be as cruel and malicious to Frankie as possible.

I don't think the creators were purposely, knowlingly, and intentionally trying to "be as cruel and malicious to Frankie as possible." I am unable to fathom why they would do that to their own creation. I think the interactions between Goofball and Frankie were originally meant as comedy, but they were not perceived as humorous. Goofball did give Frankie a horrible time, and I can see why you dislike him with great intensity. You can bash Goofball and I wouldn't really care, but I find that saying "the episode's real purpose was to be as cruel and malicious to Frankie as possible" is a little harsh and one-sided. If I have offended you in any way, I'm sorry.

I sense something bad coming....

kageri
10-14-2006, 04:15 PM
I don't think the creators were purposely, knowlingly, and intentionally trying to "be as cruel and malicious to Frankie as possible." I am unable to fathom why they would do that to their own creation. I think the interactions between Goofball and Frankie were originally meant as comedy, but they were not perceived as humorous.

I agree; I do not believe at all that the creators purposely tried to be as cruel to Frankie as they possibly could. The writers on the show clearly care about the characters, so I don't believe that was their intent.

Mr. Marshmallow
10-14-2006, 04:17 PM
It has happened before. TV creators have been purposely harsh on their characters, sometimes for reasons probably more deeper then ratings or plot points. Joss Whedon, creator of Buffy, Angel, and Firefly has a similar trait.

He's a sadist to his characters, especially in Angel's show, you notice things always seem to get worse for certain characters more and more. Who knows whether or not this was an attack on Frankie or not, there's no way to know.

I don't think it was but I can certainly see a strong arguement that it could be. It happened in "Batman Beyond" and "Extreme Ghostbusters" and "Ranma 1/2", trust me it's happened.

Cassini90125
10-14-2006, 04:17 PM
I think the writers did try to write a funny episode but it backfired completely. Maybe they got carried away with the Frankie bashing aspect of the "story" and lost perspective, I don't know. I do know that they deserve credit for making Frankie someone that's so easy to care about, and as much as I hate the episode and as horrible as it made me feel, I tip my hat to them for creating a character that can make me feel that strongly about anything.

DoubleLatte
10-14-2006, 04:36 PM
I fail to see how a quick throwaway compliment is supposed to make up for all the undeserved torture she endured that day. Unless the day comes that Goofball apologizes to Frankie and takes her to see one of her favorite bands in concert as penance, I'm not giving him any credit at all.

I'm pretty sure that was done to soften up Goofball after being guaranteed immediate dislike from viewers throughout the entire episode. The actual goal here was to get us to absolutely ABHOR the guy (which they did successfully) and wish for someone to pull the rug from under him at the end. Things turned out completely different; he wasn't a phony, but Frankie still missed her concert and put up with his demands and attitude.
Had I been in Frankie's place, that IF would have been nursing a black eye by the time he left. But that's just me.

kageri
10-14-2006, 04:45 PM
Had I been in Frankie's place, that IF would have been nursing a black eye by the time he left. But that's just me.

I know, right? Possibly even more grueling than the Frankie torture was, for me, the "PUNCH HIM IN THE FACE! DO SOMETHING! ARRGGH" feeling.

Voxxyn
10-14-2006, 05:40 PM
I'm still not convinced of that, to be honest. I won't doubt that the original pitch from which this episode resulted could've simply been an innocent suggestion for the "human potentially disguised as an imaginary friend" idea, instead of someone saying "LET'S DUMP ON SO-AND-SO!"... but what I do know is that Craig Lewis' script ended up being a very hurtful one.

Maybe I'm a little too blunt in my view, but I just don't see the humor in what Frankie had to endure in that episode. I'm mad at Lewis for writing the episode the way it was, and even though I will nonetheless continue to admire the great talent of the entire staff and crew, I'm disappointed by how they actually went along with it. What you guys are saying about them "only trying to be humorous" isn't really making me feel any better. I'm still hurt.

Cassini90125
10-14-2006, 06:15 PM
You have my sympathy. I can't make myself believe that the writers really wanted to hurt anyone as much as they did, fan or character, but you're right, there was nothing funny or entertaining about that episode.

BlooCheese
10-14-2006, 07:09 PM
I'm sorry Voxxyn. I know how important Frankie is to you and how much she means to you.

Sparky
10-14-2006, 07:15 PM
Can you guys do me a favor and start an episode discussion thread for Imposter's Home and take some of the conversation over there? Because there's a difference between discussing the character of Goofball and the episode as a whole. Ya know?

Voxxyn
10-14-2006, 07:32 PM
I don't think it's possible to discuss Goofball without discussing the consequences he had on Frankie. The only thing left would be unrelated remarks like "I liked his elephant nose" and "I hated his 'uh'-ing".

Sparky
10-14-2006, 07:37 PM
Forget I said anything. ******. Knock yourselves out then.

taranchula
10-15-2006, 11:51 AM
I don't think it's possible to discuss Goofball without discussing the consequences he had on Frankie. The only thing left would be unrelated remarks like "I liked his elephant nose" and "I hated his 'uh'-ing".

And his tie, you at least got to like his tie! :jk:

Invader Bloo
10-21-2006, 07:50 PM
Forget I said anything. ******. Knock yourselves out then.

LOL.8D

billytheskink
10-23-2006, 10:54 AM
That place...
Up There...
With the Bacon...

Kzinistzerg
10-23-2006, 04:11 PM
I rewatched this episode. it;s not as bad as I thought when I first saw it. It's definitely one of the worse episodes, but ain actuaality, I think Goof ball, if he just came to Fosters, was probably more just "hey, people do stuff for me" than anything else.

Nathander
11-15-2006, 11:14 AM
Really, you can describe Goofball in three words:

Big Fat Jerkface.

In all honesty, while I don't despise the character, I have no real love for him either. For the most part, I agree with Kzinistzerg in the fact that he was just mooching and not actually actively attempting to hurt Frankie, despite the fact that that's what occured.

Yet at the same time, I think people take way, way, way to much offense at the character and the episode he was in. Don't get me wrong by any means, Frankie fans; I'm a Frankie fan also, though not to the point where I'm a fanboy. And yes, she was treated very poorly and there was nothing in the episode that was actually entertaining and seemed primarily as a "dump on Frankie" episode, which is why I hated it so much. But whether there was actual malice intended in this episode, or if it was merely intended to make us sympathetic towards Frankie, is beyond me (or if the crew just made a blunder and released an episode that attacked a character with one of the highest fanbases), though I honestly don't there was intended ill will. In my mind, it wasn't so much an attack on Frankie as much as it was actually showing the viewer what she pretty much has to do day in, day out and giving a clearer picture as to what she has to go through. And while Goofball was a jerk, I don't think he was a malicious jerk; he was kind of like Bloo in the regard that he did things without thinking what kind of repercussions they might have. Not that he was anywhere near as good a character or entertaining, mind you.

Was Goofball a jerk? Yes. Was Goofball intentionally trying to hurt Frankie? Probably not. Did Frankie deserve what she went through? No. Is this event in her life even worth remembering?

No.

Again, I'm not trying to dumb down what Frankie went through; it was undeniably harsh, and that was the main reason I hated that episode. But at the same time, I heavily doubt the events in this episode will come back to haunt her, or at least bother her for years, if even months. This is due mainly to the fact that Goofball is gone, and hopefully we'll never see the little jerk again. He gave her quite a lashing, but he's no longer there to constantly remind her of it. Quite different from the case of a little eight year old boy who was embarrassed in front of all his friends, by all of his friends, who had made him go through an unnecessary guilt trip so he'd make a fool out of himself. And this was under the guise of what his best friend considered a birthday party. (Please GOD don't flame me. Like I said, Frankie's lashing was unbelievably harsh, but I still say Mac's in "IOHSFY" was even more so).

Anyway, to conclude:

Goofball was a jerk, but not enough of a jerk to be worth remembering or worrying over.

Howard
11-15-2006, 12:43 PM
Goofball Magee = Definitely a jerk, but funny too. Sometimes I like the characters that act like total buttheads, because they sooner or later expose their weaknesses; when they do - the protaganist can move in for the kill:scaryberry:

Voxxyn
11-15-2006, 01:57 PM
Nathander, from a logical point of view, you are absolutely right. But it doesn't change my hatred of the episode and Goofball, nor does it make me feel any better knowing that the Foster's crew actually thought it would be funny and that Cartoon Network even broadcast it in the first place. Maybe I'm wrong about feeling it was a purposeful attack, but the episode does too much of a good job on making me feel like it was. Frankie's supermarket woes didn't really have anything to do with the actual storyline of a human disguising himself as an IF, yet there it is anyway. And I still don't get what was supposed to be so funny about Frankie being denied from going to the concert, despite all the extra work she did throughout the entire episode, just so that she can do EVEN MORE WORK.

I'm sorry, but it's not so easy to just forget about this episode and what it did.

Jabberwocky
11-15-2006, 02:10 PM
The episode was really annoying to watch, but I think a lot of that is because up until the very end Goofball is portrayed as a teenager pretending to be an imaginary friend who gets away with everything, which makes everything he did ten thousand times as annoying. I didn't mind him as much after Frankie ripped his nose off and realized she'd been falsely accusing him for twenty minutes. Which I should have seen coming from a mile away, but. His antagonizing wasn't totally unprovoked.

Personally I didn't think it was malicious; IOHSFY and Everyone Knows It's Bendy were worse. Yeah, Frankie got screwed, but she just missed a concert and had to do a bunch of extra chores. Which happens like, a lot. It's not like anyone was plotting her demise.

Voxxyn
11-15-2006, 02:32 PM
:(

Just missed a concert? Just did some extra chores?

You are COMPLETELY TRIVIALIZING what Frankie had to endure in that episode. Simply missing a concert or working a little harder than usual is one thing. It's another thing entirely for these things to happen thanks to a devious moocher who spends the entire day taking advantage of someone. And since it happened to a character that is already very sympathetic and underappreciated, it was simply hurtful and meanspirited.

"Imposter's Home" is INFINITELY WORSE than "Bendy" ever was. Bendy was unmistakeably evil, but what he did to Bloo and the others is NOT EVEN CLOSE to what Goofball did to Frankie. They didn't get completely abused, overworked and cruelly denied from something they were really anticipating, like it was the case with Frankie.

By the time the episode was over, I didn't AT ALL care about the whole "human or imaginary" story. All I had on my mind was revulsion about what happened to my favorite character, and extreme disappointment towards the entire crew for actually thinking the entire episode would be a good idea. To this day, I still worry that the Foster's crew could potentially slip and create another hurtful monstrosity on an episode like this one.

Jabberwocky
11-15-2006, 03:12 PM
Frankie brought missing the concert and scrubbing the floors on herself by pretending to be an imaginary friend.

Bendy wasn't that bad (I love Bendy, shh), but IOHSFY made me cringe. So did the Foster's Goes to Europe ending.

Goofball (and Bloo) ate all the food and made Frankie do laundry and made a mess and Frankie was only furious with him because she thought he was a teenager. It's not his fault she didn't believe him, if someone falsely accused me in public constantly I'd try to annoy them too.

Sorry if I offended you, I just didn't think it was all that bad. Of course, because I don't like Frankie, I wasn't emotionally involved. I don't like seeing Bloo bullied, so I can see where this would hurt to watch if you love Frankie.

Cassini90125
11-15-2006, 03:17 PM
she thought he was a teenager. It's not his fault she didn't believe him,

Yes, it is his fault. He could have taken off that stupid rubber nose anytime and showed her his trunk, a feature that human teens don't have.

Jabberwocky
11-15-2006, 03:32 PM
Did she specify?

Mr. Marshmallow
11-15-2006, 03:35 PM
The odd thing about Bendy is while it is obvious he is more evil then Goofball, the fact of the matter is that there are different kinds of evils. And if I had to compare these guys antics to each other, regardless of INTENTION, I would say Goofball's antics are extremely more evil then what Bendy does.

Bloo doesn't really have anything to do his whole life, except play around and look for something that interests him. Bendy was sticking minor pranks and incidents on Bloo because he is in fact an ass, an evil one. But Goofball's actual effect was much more evil then his original intention in the first place.

And that's the whole differece, who DOES something. Bloo has zero responsibility. Frankie does everything around the house and not only does everyone pretty much agree she gets jack as far as appreciation goes, but Goofball didn't care what he did or ate or how it affected Frankie at all.

Bloo doesn't spend his own money for groceries, Bloo doesn't keep the house clean, Bloo doesn't put the baby IFs to bed, Bloo doesn't even go out for grocieries, but Frankie does. She does alot around the house and she doesn't need to be taking guff from some smart ass jerk who's purpousely being lazy.

Frankie doesn't deserve that kind of treatment for all she's done, Bloo to an extent does. Sorry Bloo fans, but Bloo has done some pretty bad things himself and his selfishness has offended me and Mac plenty of times. In a way, Bloo had some of it coming. He's no devil but he's no angel either.

Cassini90125
11-15-2006, 03:41 PM
Did she specify?

It is an accepted principle of argument that the burden of proof is on the positive. Goofball is the one making a positive assertion, that being that he IS an Imaginary Friend; it is up to him to prove it. What happened to Frankie in that unbearable episode rests squarely on his sorry shoulders.

Jabberwocky
11-15-2006, 04:26 PM
It is an accepted principle of argument that the burden of proof is on the positive. Goofball is the one making a positive assertion, that being that he IS an Imaginary Friend; it is up to him to prove it. What happened to Frankie in that unbearable episode rests squarely on his sorry shoulders.

He could have been ridiculously naive but whatever, I don't like him enough to defend him anymore. :(

Voxxyn
11-15-2006, 05:09 PM
Brought it on herself?!?

Frankie works her dang rear off EVERY SINGLE DAY; she is the HEART of Foster's. It's because of HER that Foster's runs smoothly instead of being in chaos. She did not at all deserve what Goofball did to her.

If you dislike her, fine. But reading that she "brought missing the concert and scrubbing the floors on herself by dressing up as an imaginary friend" made my blood boil.

Jabberwocky
11-15-2006, 05:29 PM
Woah, woah, holy comma on a drama llama. I never said she deserved it, I said she missed the concert because she was pretending to be an imaginary friend. She didn't deserve the consequences, but it was her mistake. I also never said I dislike her, I said I don't like her, meaning I don't care for her either way, to illustrate the fact that I'm biased because I had no emotion invested into what was going on. I thought it was funny the first time I watched it.

Man, this topic is scary.

Cassini90125
11-15-2006, 05:37 PM
Guys, I understand that emotions ride very high on this subject, but let's watch the language, okay? :P

Nathander
11-15-2006, 06:05 PM
Nathander, from a logical point of view, you are absolutely right. But it doesn't change my hatred of the episode and Goofball, nor does it make me feel any better knowing that the Foster's crew actually thought it would be funny and that Cartoon Network even broadcast it in the first place. Maybe I'm wrong about feeling it was a purposeful attack, but the episode does too much of a good job on making me feel like it was. Frankie's supermarket woes didn't really have anything to do with the actual storyline of a human disguising himself as an IF, yet there it is anyway. And I still don't get what was supposed to be so funny about Frankie being denied from going to the concert, despite all the extra work she did throughout the entire episode, just so that she can do EVEN MORE WORK.

I'm sorry, but it's not so easy to just forget about this episode and what it did.

And you're more than entitled to those feelings. I'm not saying "don't be angry"; really, I was just saying "I'm not angry", though that's not entirely true as, again, I'm a Frankie fan and it hurt to see what she was going through. But the fact is, I have a hard time really worrying about it; I'm sure Frankie was hurt at the time but has moved on. Does that mean it was acceptable? Not in the least. And I can't blame you in any way for refusing to really forgive for the episode; in a lot of ways, I feel the same (as you can probably tell) about "I Only Have Surprise for You".

Frankie doesn't deserve that kind of treatment for all she's done, Bloo to an extent does. Sorry Bloo fans, but Bloo has done some pretty bad things himself and his selfishness has offended me and Mac plenty of times. In a way, Bloo had some of it coming. He's no devil but he's no angel either.

Absolutely. While I was no fan of "Bendy", I had less of a problem with how badly Bendy messed with Bloo then I did with Goofball messing (if he indeed was and wasn't just a moron who was accidentally malicious, which is what I think he was) with Frankie. Whereas Bloo has done plenty to get messed over once in awhile to set the karmic balance straight, Frankie hasn't done anything to deserve such a thing. Not a blooming thing.

But hey, that's life. There are lots of occasions were good people get screwed and bad don't. That doesn't make the situation any more acceptable, though.

Really, in my mind, the only good thing that came out of the episode was seeing Frankie with the clown nose on at the end. That was adorable.

On another note, I get the impression that Goofball, for the most part, really is dumb as a sack of potatoes that've been smashed with a jackhammer. He lives in another country, for Pete's sakes! I don't remember if they explained it in the episode because it's been so long since I've seen it, but if anyone can tell me how he did it, just how in the hell did he get down to Foster's?

kageri
11-15-2006, 06:16 PM
Really, you can describe Goofball in three words:

Big Fat Jerkface.

In all honesty, while I don't despise the character, I have no real love for him either. For the most part, I agree with Kzinistzerg in the fact that he was just mooching and not actually actively attempting to hurt Frankie, despite the fact that that's what occured.

Yet at the same time, I think people take way, way, way to much offense at the character and the episode he was in. Don't get me wrong by any means, Frankie fans; I'm a Frankie fan also, though not to the point where I'm a fanboy. And yes, she was treated very poorly and there was nothing in the episode that was actually entertaining and seemed primarily as a "dump on Frankie" episode, which is why I hated it so much. But whether there was actual malice intended in this episode, or if it was merely intended to make us sympathetic towards Frankie, is beyond me (or if the crew just made a blunder and released an episode that attacked a character with one of the highest fanbases), though I honestly don't there was intended ill will. In my mind, it wasn't so much an attack on Frankie as much as it was actually showing the viewer what she pretty much has to do day in, day out and giving a clearer picture as to what she has to go through. And while Goofball was a jerk, I don't think he was a malicious jerk; he was kind of like Bloo in the regard that he did things without thinking what kind of repercussions they might have. Not that he was anywhere near as good a character or entertaining, mind you.

Was Goofball a jerk? Yes. Was Goofball intentionally trying to hurt Frankie? Probably not. Did Frankie deserve what she went through? No. Is this event in her life even worth remembering?

No.

Again, I'm not trying to dumb down what Frankie went through; it was undeniably harsh, and that was the main reason I hated that episode. But at the same time, I heavily doubt the events in this episode will come back to haunt her, or at least bother her for years, if even months. This is due mainly to the fact that Goofball is gone, and hopefully we'll never see the little jerk again. He gave her quite a lashing, but he's no longer there to constantly remind her of it. Quite different from the case of a little eight year old boy who was embarrassed in front of all his friends, by all of his friends, who had made him go through an unnecessary guilt trip so he'd make a fool out of himself. And this was under the guise of what his best friend considered a birthday party. (Please GOD don't flame me. Like I said, Frankie's lashing was unbelievably harsh, but I still say Mac's in "IOHSFY" was even more so).

Anyway, to conclude:

Goofball was a jerk, but not enough of a jerk to be worth remembering or worrying over.

I agree completely. I love Frankie, and she didn't deserve that kind of treatment, but she's not one to brood over it. She'll probably never give him a second thought.

I don't remember if they explained it in the episode because it's been so long since I've seen it, but if anyone can tell me how he did it, just how in the hell did he get down to Foster's?

Maybe Foster's is the only establishment of its kind. Eurotrish?

Nathander
11-15-2006, 06:32 PM
Maybe Foster's is the only establishment of its kind. Eurotrish?

True, and it would seem that it most likely is the only one of its kind. However, Eurotrish was actually given up for adoption; Goofball somehow managed to get down there on his own, which means he somehow left the country on his own and wandered there. While we don't know how close the state Foster's is located is to the border, it still doesn't change the fact that this idiot was able to get across the border by himself. At least, I'm assuming it was by himself, considering the fact that his family said they drove down from Canada to get him.

While I guess it's not entirely unfeasible that Goofball was stupid enough to just wander down there, I'd still like to know how he, you know, got through the border security located between Canada and the USA, presumably without a passport.

Cassini90125
11-15-2006, 06:40 PM
The border with Canada used to be virtually unpatrolled, although that's probably no longer the case.

Nathander
11-15-2006, 06:43 PM
Maybe not patrolled, but I'd expect you would've still had to have had a passport in order to get through, seeing as how you're entering into another country.

Jabberwocky
11-15-2006, 06:48 PM
Actually we went to Niagara Falls and didn't need one. You just need a drivers license and a birth certificate.

One Radical Dude
11-15-2006, 07:11 PM
Gang, please stay on topic. Thank you, sirs! Have a great time! ;)

Sparky
11-15-2006, 08:57 PM
I dunno, wondering how Goofball got to Foster's seems a perfectly on-topic thing to talk about...

(and its a pleasant change from the usual tone of the conversation in here)

kageri
11-15-2006, 09:15 PM
I mentioned Eurotrish because apparently, while she was given up for adoption and didn't get there herself, her family sent her all the way to another continent just to get her to Foster's. Which supports the "Foster's is one-of-a-kind" theory. How Goofball walked/hitchhiked/whatever to Foster's from Canadia is another question altogether.

Cassini90125
11-15-2006, 09:29 PM
It's entirely possible that the Canadians smuggled him in, just to get him out of Canada. ;)

Seriously, I have no idea how he got here, none at all. My best guess is that he was simply lost.

Sparky
11-15-2006, 09:37 PM
And don't you think Eurotrish's family might have sent her to an American IF home instead of one in Europe simply to get her as far away as possible? ;)

billytheskink
11-16-2006, 07:56 AM
Eurotrish could have been imagined by a Europhile...

Goofball might have just wound up on one of those poorly-named trains going from that place, up there, with the bacon... and made his way to Fosters from the train station.

Howard
11-16-2006, 09:16 AM
Goofball probably did it "hobo" style - look for an empty boxcar and made his way into it, then played a harmonica all the way until he wound up at Foster's. I know that is far-fetched, but think of the possibilities!:frankiesmile:

BabyElephant
11-16-2006, 03:33 PM
It's been a while since I last went to Canada, but most of the border is completely unguarded. Yes, there are checkpoints at all road crossings, and you'll need ID (in fact, they're going to start requiring passports to visit Canada...this may have already happened, actually), but there are miles and miles of border with no guards or fences at all. Goofball could have wandered over quite easily.

kageri
11-16-2006, 06:20 PM
And don't you think Eurotrish's family might have sent her to an American IF home instead of one in Europe simply to get her as far away as possible? ;)

Touche. I never even thought of that.

LaBlooGirl
11-17-2006, 10:33 AM
I don't find Goofball all THAT bad, in the end, didn't he act appreciative of Frankie by calling her "all right"? (Which for him was meaningful.) And to top it off, gave her a clown nose? (Also his meaningful way of saying he likes someone.)

Hey I used to HATE Bloo because of the way he could be so mean and selfish sometimes, until I began to understand him better. After that, I not only began to like Bloo better, but now I just plain out love him.

Since we've only seen Goofball in one ep. and we don't really know all there is to know about him, maybe he should be given a little benefit of the doubt.

Don't get me wrong, I love Frankie too and I think she deserves a real handsome guy who treats her like a queen, and has all the IFs think she's the greatest thing since sliced bread, but we all know that real life doesn't always give appreciation to those who work hard.

Voxxyn
11-17-2006, 10:55 AM
You're right that real life isn't perfect... but isn't Foster's a children's cartoon? Isn't it supposed to provide an ESCAPE from the harsh realities of life? I'm not saying that everything should be 100% perfect, but at the same time, the writers go WAY TOO FAR with the not-so-happy episodes.

This is why Mrs. Faust's defense on the ToonZone forums only hurt me even more. She harped on the importance of not making everything 100% happy--when the episode in question basically made Frankie's life 100% miserable. The latter is as much of an unhealthy extreme as the former.

Frankie is already underappreciated and sympathetic as it is, and the show has had it's share of gags and jokes at her expense. These are usually funny and even hilarious, since they're done for humor. But that episode was simply hurtful.

I WILL say this though: I'm not completely against the return of Goofball and his family. In fact, if they were to make an unexpected cameo appearance in a future episode, in a way continuing how Frankie and Goofball seemed to be on good terms at the very end(One of the episode's few positives), it would actually make me feel quite a bit better.

LaBlooGirl
11-17-2006, 10:59 AM
You're right that real life isn't perfect... but isn't Foster's a children's cartoon? Isn't it supposed to provide an ESCAPE from the harsh realities of life? I'm not saying that everything should be 100% perfect, but at the same time, the writers go WAY TOO FAR with the not-so-happy episodes.

This is why Mrs. Faust's defense on the ToonZone forums only hurt me even more. She harped on the importance of not making everything 100% happy--when the episode in question basically made Frankie's life 100% miserable. The latter is as much of an unhealthy extreme as the former.

Frankie is already underappreciated and sympathetic as it is, and the show has had it's share of gags and jokes at her expense. These are usually funny and even hilarious, since they're done for humor. But that episode was simply hurtful.

I WILL say this though: I'm not completely against the return of Goofball and his family. In fact, if they were to make an unexpected cameo appearance in a future episode, in a way continuing how Frankie and Goofball seemed to be on good terms at the very end(One of the episode's few positives), it would actually make me feel quite a bit better.

Well, it IS a cartoon, but if we didn't have some things a little on the sad or unhappy side, we couldn't have Wilt without an arm or eye, which is a sad/tragic thing in itself.
And then we'd expect that GWH would have some lame "fairytale" reason for Wilt's injuries, and then I'd lose all respect for the show.
So that being said, I kind of support Lauren's views.

Voxxyn
11-17-2006, 12:21 PM
Again, I did NOT say I want the show to be 100% happy. Certain aspects about Wilt's character(like you mentioned) further add to his highly sympathetic nature, and are meant to appeal strictly to the hardcore fans while going over the heads of most children and casual fans. And "Good Wilt Hunting" is basically guaranteed to have some kind of happy ending(which doesn't necessarily have to be a perfect fairytale one), as payoff for his years of suffering and getting taken advantage of.

The Wilt example is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from what happened to Frankie in IHFUMEUP. Lauren is right about conflict, I'm not doubting that. But she cited the importance of not making everything happy and perfect all the time, in defense on an episode that did the exact opposite towards Frankie. That's why I felt hurt by her response.

Invader Bloo
11-18-2006, 08:12 AM
I HATE Goofball! I'd hate him even if he'd basically totured Frankie. He wasn'tfunny & his episode sucked butt.:terrence:

Medikor
11-18-2006, 11:37 AM
Goofball was a hard character to put up with as a Frankie fan. I'm not a fanboy (at least I try not to be) and I enjoyed the episode despit the very hard time Frankie had. I think most people read a little to hard into the episode and forget that it was all meant in the name of fun.
Yes. Frankie had the worst day imaginable but I couldant stop laughing when I saw the look on her face when the others came from the concert that she missed. I was also rolling on the floor when Frankie pulled off Goofball's nose and froze for a good ten seconds in shock. I don't find this episode funny because Frankie has a hard time, I really feel for her. I laugh, and enjoy it, because I can relate. We all have had very bad days where absolutly EVERYTHING goes wrong. And we all have had a Goofball in our lives too.
I'm sure that was what the writers intended and not merely give Frankie a hard day out of spite. It may seem like they have, but I'm sure that isant the truthe. This episode was bown to happen simply because of Frankies job and personality. If anything, it makes us feel for Frankie even more because we see how hard her job can be when an extreme case (Goofball) happens.
Look on the bright side: I'm sure Lauren can see the negativety fans have around this episode and give use another wonderful Frankie episode on the scale of "Frankie My Dear".:D
P.S- Vox, I don't think you should feel like Laren hurt you (at least, not too much) because I don't think that was the intention she had for us Frankie fans. I think this episode was just a good intention that went sour at the worst. Kind of like makeing a snowman and the torso makes a get away and becomes a giant snow-boulder of chaos.

Voxxyn
11-18-2006, 12:49 PM
Those two moments you enjoyed so much(her reaction at both the others coming back and upon learning that Goofball is indeed an IF) were among the most HURTFUL to me, and were actually the ones that convinced me in the first place(rightly or wrongly, but that's how I honestly FELT) that the episode was an attack on Frankie. In fact, just seeing them mentioned has only worsened my mood. And seeing her suffer and cruelly denied from beginning-to-end is "in the name of fun"?

It made us feel for Frankie alright. But there was NO real payoff at the end for Frankie whatsover in the episode--or the entire series afterwards, actually. "Setting A President" came the closest, but it was ultimately a hollow victory as she ended up giving back the Presidential job. I am trying to keep an open mind about future Frankie episodes... but just the fact that they allowed "Imposter's" to exist in the first place has cast a pessimistic and hopeless cloud in my feelings.

Cassini90125
11-18-2006, 01:10 PM
Those two moments you enjoyed so much(her reaction at both the others coming back and upon learning that Goofball is indeed an IF) were among the most HURTFUL to me.

You and me both, pal. But the very worst moment of all was when she found out she wasn't going to see the concert at all. I cried, I openly admit it. It hurt so much to see her in such misery, and it hurt even more because there wasn't a dang thing I could do about it, no way to help her, no way to comfort her. Nothing on TV has ever affected me as deeply as that sad moment. :'(

koosie
11-18-2006, 01:27 PM
You and me both, pal. But the very worst moment of all was when she found out she wasn't going to see the concert at all. I cried, I openly admit it. It hurt so much to see her in such misery, and it hurt even more because there wasn't a dang thing I could do about it, no way to help her, no way to comfort her. Nothing on TV has ever affected me as deeply as that sad moment. :'(

I'll admit it, both me and Greeny made audible noises of disbelief at that moment.

Isn't that what great art does though, provoke an emotional response?
Cartoons are as much great art as Turner or Dali, cave paintings are cartoons I always thought. A window into someones soul that opens one up to ours in the way we respond.

Cassini90125
11-18-2006, 01:36 PM
That is very true. I just wish it had been a different window. :bloosad:

koosie
11-18-2006, 01:51 PM
Yeh seriously. Maybe it was the way it panned out or maybe the way it was drawn but it made you feel like every dissappointed rejected moment you'd ever felt. I mean that's genius really. I think the word Kafka-esquecomes pretty close. The feeling of turning into a big bug nobody likes.

Goofball was just an ingredient in it. He was so much like a teenage boy, he was desparately annoying, but all imaginary friends are at least a little bit annoying to somebody.

Medikor
11-18-2006, 02:22 PM
I'm kinda starting to think there's something wrong with me. I can see how you all REALLY dislike the episode. Maybe my sence of humor is twisted or something...:(
But like I said, I didant laugh at the episode because I liked seeing Frankie have a hard time. I thought it was just funny. I can understand how it can be seen as downright hateful to Frankie that she had to go through all that. I'm sorry if I offended anyone by trying to explaine why I enjoyed the episode. That wasant my intent at all.
Maybe I've mellowed out as I've gotten older, or simply because I can relate to Frankie (haveing two little monster brothers that always gang up against you is murder!8D ) and the horrible day she had. I know I've had days where everything got progressavly worse. I guess I'm just able to look back at those days and laugh at them rather then continue to beat myself up over them.
About the only positive I can think about with this episode being made
is that those who made it obviously know of the negative feedback it's garnerd and won't make one like it again.
Anyway, about Goofball going to Fosters, wouldant that have been because Fosters is the only place of it's kind in the world? If so, I can understand why Goofball was sent there from Canada. That, or he got lost and some locals pointed him to Fosters.

kageri
11-18-2006, 02:29 PM
"Setting A President" came the closest, but it was ultimately a hollow victory as she ended up giving back the Presidential job.

I don't think it was necessarily a hollow victory. Frankie discovered in that episode how loved she was by the house's residents, and quite nobly gave Mr. Herriman back his job of her own free will. So ultimately, it was a learning experience. And now she will no longer have to wonder if she'd be getting more money if she had Herriman's job.

Voxxyn
11-18-2006, 05:36 PM
Koosie is right; I believe that cartoons are a legitimate form of art(And SHOULD be treated as such). And I think it says a lot for a "silly kiddy show" like Foster's that certain moments and episodes have affected me and others in such a way.

But I still think they crossed the line, and crossed it way too far. Frankie is sympathetic and underappreciated as it is without the "help" of this episode; if you know that and dislike her anyway, I don't think you'll ever change your mind. THAT is why it gave me the feeling that it was deliberately trying to abuse and destroy her.

If I seem upset everytime I talk about Goofball and his starring role, then good, because that's how I honestly feel, even to this day. I hope Lauren was/is able to understand just how hurtful IHFUMEUP truly was. Arguments about conflict and "not wanting to make the show 100% happy all the time" don't change the fact that what happened to Frankie was just cruel and wrong.

Medikor
11-18-2006, 06:20 PM
Yes, Voxxyn, Frankie IS underappreceated and this episode was obbviously hurtful to Frankie's fans. But Craig and Lauren seem to be very good people and I'm sure that they didant make Goofball for the soul purpose of hurting us.
I don't think they intended for Goofball to be hated to this degree. I can almost forgive him since he leaves Frankie and Fosters on good terms. But there are characters that take on a life of their own and almost write themselves. I think that was the case with Goofball.
I think taht Frankie missing her concert was important. It was the last straw needed to push her over the edge and lead to her final confrontation with Goofball. Don't get me wrong, I love Frankie and it wasant nice to see her suffer. But I did enjoy the episode. I guess I was just able to see the humour in the episode.
I'm not trying to defend Goofball, just trying to help everyone try and accept the episode and maybe, somehow, grow to appreceate it.

Voxxyn
11-18-2006, 06:42 PM
:( If you actually believe that Frankie missing her concert was "important", then I'm sorry, but you stand no chance whatsover of changing my mind about the episode. That traumatic event is AT THE VERY HEART of why I hate it so much.

In fact, the OPPOSITE is true: if Goofball makes a return appearance, in which he does something to Frankie that makes up for the horrible day she had when they first met, I might be able to tolerate and maybe even like him. But I will NEVER be able to "accept" or "appreciate" the episode itself. Call it 'forgiving but not forgetting'... that is, if the 'forgive' part ever gets a chance to happen.

Medikor
11-19-2006, 05:30 AM
You know, Vox, you're really makeing me dislike thise episode.8D I can really see how much of a personal hell it was for poor poor Frankie.:(

LaBlooGirl
11-19-2006, 08:24 AM
I'm glad there are people like Voxx on here, who point out how a form of art like a cartoon (yes I agree with that completely) can sometimes affect people to this degree. That's why I like to get into the deeper discussions, it makes it all the more interesting. :)

Mr. Marshmallow
11-19-2006, 11:10 AM
I'm glad there are people like Voxx on here, who point out how a form of art like a cartoon (yes I agree with that completely) can sometimes affect people to this degree. That's why I like to get into the deeper discussions, it makes it all the more interesting. :)

It's an important and very truthful fact LaBloogirl, Vox is right, episodes can greatly affect people and even the most smallest or largest of scenes or words can make or break a person. One bad line for example can change a person's view on a character.

And one episode can do a lot of damage, which is what I feel Goofball did. Anyone who still doubts this episode wasn't a Frankie basher need only to watch the scene where Frankie is scrubbing the floors after being denied going to her concert. Watch the music, her reactions, and the pacing.

All 3 of those things in that SINGLE scene are the key realizations to just how badly and painfully Frankie was screwed over here.

Voxxyn
11-19-2006, 12:31 PM
Frankie missing the concert and scrubbing the floors was indeed the fatal "point of no return" blow for me. On it's own, it would've hurt badly enough. But the entire episode before that unfortunate moment was built and set up as if the underappreciated maid would put the mooching jerk in his place at the end and emerge victorious as reward for her suffering.

That never happened. Instead, the exact opposite happened; the WORST possible outcome allowed by the TV-Y7 rating. It was heartbreaking and borderline traumatizing.

Cassini90125
11-19-2006, 01:22 PM
And one episode can do a lot of damage, which is what I feel Goofball did. Anyone who still doubts this episode wasn't a Frankie basher need only to watch the scene where Frankie is scrubbing the floors after being denied going to her concert. Watch the music, her reactions, and the pacing.

Exactly. I have never felt anything as agonizing, never felt so much aguish for another person, real or not. It's a moment I will never forget as long as I live.

Howard
11-19-2006, 07:46 PM
The scrubbing floors scene made me think of Disney's Cinderella scrubbing the floors, only to have Lucifer add insult to injury and track his feet all over it with ashes. Goofball was the Lucifer in that fer sure! It is a good thing Frankie has a ray of hope...:frankiemad:

Voxxyn
11-19-2006, 08:34 PM
That heartbreaking scene was indeed a "tribute"(In quotations because I don't think it's much of an honor to be referenced in that episode) to Disney's Cinderella, right down to the mice.

Because of that blatant reference, I can no longer think of Cinderella without thinking about this episode... and thus feel crappy by knowing that Cinderella had a happy ending while Frankie didn't.

Sparky
11-19-2006, 08:36 PM
But Cinderella's life was full of hardships before the one "episode" of her life that we, the audience, got to see. Frankie has many many more episodes ahead of her, and surely a happy ending is waiting somewhere down the line. ;)

Cassini90125
11-19-2006, 08:53 PM
They could do an episode where a wealthy snob in Romania adopts Duchess, and Mom relents and lets Bloo come home. Actually, I think that would make more people than just Frankie pretty happy.

LaBlooGirl
11-20-2006, 03:42 AM
They could do an episode where a wealthy snob in Romania adopts Duchess, and Mom relents and lets Bloo come home. Actually, I think that would make more people than just Frankie pretty happy.

LOL You bet it would! 8D

Howard
11-20-2006, 07:32 AM
Frankie wins the Power Ball - there is a happy ending for her! Oops gotta stay on topic - ummm...and Goofball gets arrested, yeah that's it!:frankiesmile:

Medikor
11-20-2006, 08:33 AM
Goofball getting arrested would sure make a lot of us happy!8D

Cassini90125
11-20-2006, 10:29 AM
It would be a shame if after being arrested he was shot while trying to "escape". ;)

BabyElephant
11-20-2006, 10:41 AM
I just thought of something...if Goofball is Canadian, why does he have a Brooklyn accent? Maybe the kid who imagined him watched a lot of TV shows set in New York or something, but still...:-/

Medikor
11-20-2006, 11:36 AM
Not all us Canuks say "Eh" at the end of every sentance you know.;) 8D

BabyElephant
11-20-2006, 12:54 PM
Not all us Canuks say "Eh" at the end of every sentance you know.;) 8D

Riiiight...and I suppose next you'll want us to believe that you don't all sit around in flannel shirts all day eating back bacon and maple syrup... :)

Voxxyn
11-20-2006, 01:16 PM
As much as the twisted side to me would love to see Goofball in extreme pain, that's not what I really want.

I hope Sparky is right when she says that a happy ending is waiting down the line for Frankie. I wish there was a way of knowing if Craig, Lauren and everybody else have realized just how negative and viciously cruel IHFUMEUP truly was, because I'm still not completely convinced. I'm still aching for a Frankie episode that will celebrate her character and use her to her fullest potential instead of burying and abusing her. "Setting A President" is a step in the right direction, but it's not enough.

Medikor
11-20-2006, 03:39 PM
Don't worry, Vox. Craig and Lauren visit this sit to give us a heads-up once in a while. So I'm sure that they take the time to read what we have to say amongst ourselves. I'm sure that a great Frankie episode is on the horizon!:D

montitech
11-20-2006, 06:42 PM
It seems like this thread is Basically a "I Love Frankie and Hate this episode"

I Liked this episode, I think Goofball was funny.

I would agree that lfe was misserable on frankie, However I think that was the neccisary in for the story. It was not ment to be a Bash on Frankie, but ment to be a fun.

I Thought it was a great Cat and Mouse game. Frankie thinking that Goofball was fake and unable to get anyone to believe her. I actually believed that goofball was not imaginary until the end when she took off his nose.

I thought it was funny that MAC was the only one who reconized Frankie when she wore the Red Nose.

I do not want to sound raceist or anything, but I think GoofBall is a good Canadian personallity. I do not live in Canada, but I can see Toronto on a clear day. I think goofballs character matches SCTV humor better than Saterday Night Live or Flying Circus. I know this is a week argument, but maybe some Canadians can give their view of If they feel Goofball makes a decent Canadian. (or What they feel goofball represents)

monty :-/

Voxxyn
11-20-2006, 07:55 PM
I would agree that lfe was misserable on frankie, However I think that was the neccisary in for the story. It was not ment to be a Bash on Frankie, but ment to be a fun.

I still fail to see the "fun" in what happened to Frankie. There's a line between goofy, slapsticky fun and inexcusable maliciousness, and what Goofball did crossed it by about a million miles.

Nor was it necessary at all. They could've EASILY done this episode without being so cruel to Frankie. It was a golden premise that could've been used far more wisely than just to attack a character with a large fanbase.

Jabberwocky
11-20-2006, 08:55 PM
I still fail to see the "fun" in what happened to Frankie. There's a line between goofy, slapsticky fun and inexcusable maliciousness, and what Goofball did crossed it by about a million miles.

Nor was it necessary at all. They could've EASILY done this episode without being so cruel to Frankie. It was a golden premise that could've been used far more wisely than just to attack a character with a large fanbase.That's your opinion, though. Just because you saw it as evil and wrong and malicious doesn't mean it was. If I'm "completely trivializing" what happened, you're blowing it way out of proportion. Some people found it funny, some people didn't, there are always a few bombs in a series, but I don't understand how it was an "attack" on Frankie.

Mr. Marshmallow
11-20-2006, 09:22 PM
That's your opinion, though. Just because you saw it as evil and wrong and malicious doesn't mean it was. If I'm "completely trivializing" what happened, you're blowing it way out of proportion. Some people found it funny, some people didn't, there are always a few bombs in a series, but I don't understand how it was an "attack" on Frankie.

Watch the episode again and tell me if you see ANY positive outcome for ANY situation Frankie entered in that episode.

Also Frankie wasn't attacked, she was freaking Pearl Harbored in that episode.

Voxxyn
11-20-2006, 10:04 PM
There are completely different kinds of "bombs". Any given television series will have episodes that aren't up to par with it's usual standards of quality, that's inevitable. And then there are episodes that are disliked not because of any gap in technical quality, but because they do things that seem to only be there to deliberately shock and anger fans.

The problem with IHFUMEUP wasn't that it was 'not as funny' as usual--it's that it was INDEED evil, wrong and malicious.

montitech
11-21-2006, 05:40 AM
The problem with IHFUMEUP wasn't that it was 'not as funny' as usual--it's that it was INDEED evil, wrong and malicious.

Your stating your opinion as though it was a Universal Truth.

I enjoyed watching this episode. I thought goofball was fun.
I do not think I am Evil or malicious for liking it but if what you said is a universal truth I must be at least Wrong.
I know frankie was treated unfair, However I am sure the writers were not intenially trying to offend Frankie Fans but were trying to create a fun story.

Also it is not the first time they treated a lead character in that manner. look at how BLoo was treated in the Benndy episode. same type of situation, but directed to bloo, and bendy was definitly a Bad Egg, While GoofBall was just Misunderstood because he was from a different country.

Monty :-/

Cassini90125
11-21-2006, 07:01 AM
Also it is not the first time they treated a lead character in that manner. look at how BLoo was treated in the Benndy episode. same type of situation, but directed to bloo, and bendy was definitly a Bad Egg, While GoofBall was just Misunderstood because he was from a different country.

I hardly think it was the same type of situation. Bendy's antics got everyone in trouble; Bloo caught additional flak because he went after Bendy. Goofball's antics were directed solely at Frankie. Bendy was certainly malicious, but Goofball was clearly worse, because his behaviour was born of total self-involvement, and a complete inability to either see or care who he was hurting. Bloo also didn't have to suffer the way Frankie did, and didn't have a "Disney-esque" scene of scrubbing the floors. Bloo also got some justice at the end, and Bendy was exposed as the real troublemaker; there was no such justice for Frankie. And finally, being from another country is meaningless; I can think of many real-world examples that were just plain evil, not "misunderstood".

I don't think you are a bad person for enjoying the episode, but I cannot understand why you, or anyone, would enjoy it.

Medikor
11-21-2006, 08:38 AM
I didan't really interpret Goofballs actions as targeted directly at Frankie in a malicouss way but more like she let him get to her because she didan't believe him. I hope that made sence.

montitech
11-21-2006, 08:41 AM
... but Goofball was clearly worse, because his behaviour was born of total self-involvement, and a complete inability to either see or care who he was hurting.

I guess this is where we disagree, (I am not trying to discredit your comments , I agree with most of them)

However, I think Bendy's behavour was worst. and I still see a parellel between Frankie/Goofball and Bloo/Bendy. yes I would agree goofball was self-involved and very short-sighted. goofball has no concept of consequences. hence how he became lost in the begining. I think this episode was to to focus on Goofballs antics, and not to intentially hurt frankie Fans.

So I guess you could Understand why I like this episode (since I also liked the bendy episode and I see a parellel) even though many people may not agree woth me. .

before reading this thread I actually never even thought about the suffering frankie endoured during this episode; I think she is freaquently taken advantage of in many episodes. So with this episode I was focused on wanting to see what goofball would do next. I was also focused on: how was frankie going to uncover this "Imposter"? I thought it was hysterical at the end when Goofballs nose was uncovered. and then his family showed up.

I wish I could spell:'(

Voxxyn
11-21-2006, 09:11 AM
I think she is freaquently taken advantage of in many episodes.

THAT'S THE PROBLEM. It was viciously cruel for the writers to put a character that is already very sympathetic and underappreciated in such a one-sided no-win situation.

You're not evil if you liked the episode... but what happened to Frankie WAS and STILL IS very evil and malicious. Just saying that the writers "didn't try to offend Frankie fans" is useless, because I am nonetheless still VERY hurt and upset.

Mr. Marshmallow
11-21-2006, 03:05 PM
Okay...okay everyone take a breather for a second. I think the point Vox is trying to make is that even if Goofball was not as intentionally evil by nature like Bendy was, the actions that Goofball took and directed towards Frankie where in fact just as evil.

Possibly more so. Why? Because the difference here is we know Bendy is an ass, his whole episode and family and "clues" are to reveal he's bad to the bone and nothing will change that. He does what he does to intentionally hurt and annoy others.

Goofball however is self absorbed and not only did he not even consider what he was doing to Frankie, but he didn't even stop either. He purposely used her as a door matt and his laid back view on life made him seem completely careless to any amount of human suffering Frankie was enduring.

I also want to go on record here and state clearly that it HAS been done, there HAVE been episodes of TV shows that purposely and literally bash the living hell out of a certain character. Being a TV nut, I know this happens, I can name 5 shows right off the top of my head that did this besides Fosters:

Pokemon

Ben 10

Batman Beyond

Tale Spin

Extreme Ghostbusters

I know plenty more and I assure you, TV episodes can easily make or break a character. Certain episodes are designed to make everything go virtually wrong for the targeted character. Verbally, physically, mentally, emotionally, everyway possible. So it's not that hard to believe that it happened again.

BabyElephant
11-21-2006, 03:08 PM
There are completely different kinds of "bombs". Any given television series will have episodes that aren't up to par with it's usual standards of quality, that's inevitable. And then there are episodes that are disliked not because of any gap in technical quality, but because they do things that seem to only be there to deliberately shock and anger fans.

I think "evil" is a bit strong...it may be a matter of semantics, but evil to me implies things such as the Holocaust or Darfur...or on a smaller level, rape and murder. Being a completely insensitive, selfish jerk doesn't reach anywhere near that level.
Also, I find it very hard to believe that the episode was done "to deliberately shock and anger fans". First of all, while I certainly don't know anyone who works on the show personally, from everything I've ever heard or read, Lauren, Craig et al are great people who would never intentionally hurt anyone's feelings. But even supposing that there were someone on Foster's with that kind of sadistic streak, I still don't think an episode would ever get on the air that was intentionally designed to be hurtful. The people involved with Foster's (the production company, CN, etc.) want to make money, after all, and purposefully upsetting their fan base isn't going to do that...just the opposite, in fact, since it might cause people to stop watching. Just from a strictly business standpoint, it wouldn't make sense. Now I like Frankie a lot, but I won't pretend to understand the depths of feeling this episode brings out, even after all this time. And of course, whatever someone feels about Goofball or the episode as a whole is completely legitimate. Still, given the amount of true evil that exists in the world, maybe some other word could be used. :mfoster:

BlooCheese
11-21-2006, 03:25 PM
Also, I find it very hard to believe that the episode was done "to deliberately shock and anger fans". First of all, while I certainly don't know anyone who works on the show personally, from everything I've ever heard or read, Lauren, Craig et al are great people who would never intentionally hurt anyone's feelings. But even supposing that there were someone on Foster's with that kind of sadistic streak, I still don't think an episode would ever get on the air that was intentionally designed to be hurtful. The people involved with Foster's (the production company, CN, etc.) want to make money, after all, and purposefully upsetting their fan base isn't going to do that...just the opposite, in fact, since it might cause people to stop watching. Just from a strictly business standpoint, it wouldn't make sense. Now I like Frankie a lot, but I won't pretend to understand the depths of feeling this episode brings out, even after all this time. And of course, whatever someone feels about Goofball or the episode as a whole is completely legitimate. Still, given the amount of true evil that exists in the world, maybe some other word could be used. :mfoster:

I find myself agreeing with BabyElephant.
Sorry, but I think that saying the Foster's crew knowingly, intentionally, and purposefully made IHFMP to hurt Frankie in the most evil, malicious, and cruel way possible is discrediting them. Yes, I do agree that Goofball's actions were seriously wrong towards Frankie. And here, "wrong" is not even a strong-enough word to describe what horrible misfortunes he caused her. But saying that Craig and company purposely went out of their way to bash Frankie--I find that unfair and harsh. I think the Foster's crew are great people who work really hard to try and please their fans.

Voxxyn
11-21-2006, 04:24 PM
I do appreciate the hard work that goes into the series. I'm not lashing out like this because I thought IHFUMEUP was a severe gap in technical quality.

I'm lashing out because as a Frankie fan, it was just upsetting, depressing and borderline traumatic to watch her go through all of that. They wasted their hard work and talent on an episode that, whether or not that was their true motive, was just plain CRUEL and MALICIOUS towards Frankie and felt like a huge slap in the face to her fans. How is that, as a fan, supposed to "please" me? Because I love Frankie and hate episodes of ANY show that basically devote themselves to destroying a character from start-to-finish, I don't matter?

BlooCheese
11-21-2006, 05:01 PM
Of course you matter. Never did I say that you didn't matter. And the creation of a hurtful episode to Frankie fans does NOT mean you don't matter either. I think the Foster's crew tried to come up with a humorous Frankie-centered ep, but their plan totally backfired. Instead of producing laughs, IFUMEUP produced much trauma, sorrow, and anger. Because you love Frankie so entirely, you make a huge difference. We know that Frankie is already underappreciated, and she doesn't get a lot of chances to shine, so being supportive of her from beginning to end, through thick and thin makes you important. I never said you didn't matter.
And I never said IFUMEUP had to please you. I meant that overall, the crew tried to make their episodes, in general, pleasing to their fans. It seemed to me as if some people thought that Craig and co. purposefully and intentionally wanted to bash Frankie, and I found that unfair.

BabyElephant
11-21-2006, 07:23 PM
Of course you matter. Never did I say that you didn't matter. And the creation of a hurtful episode to Frankie fans does NOT mean you don't matter either. I think the Foster's crew tried to come up with a humorous Frankie-centered ep, but their plan totally backfired. Instead of producing laughs, IFUMEUP produced much trauma, sorrow, and anger. Because you love Frankie so entirely, you make a huge difference. We know that Frankie is already underappreciated, and she doesn't get a lot of chances to shine, so being supportive of her from beginning to end, through thick and thin makes you important. I never said you didn't matter.
And I never said IFUMEUP had to please you. I meant that overall, the crew tried to make their episodes, in general, pleasing to their fans. It seemed to me as if some people thought that Craig and co. purposefully and intentionally wanted to bash Frankie, and I found that unfair.

Exactly. I think that really the worst that can be said of everyone who worked on this episode is that they made a mistake. Yes, it was a mistake that hurt a lot of people, and I would never presume to tell them they shouldn't feel that way. But I can't believe that there was any malicious intent to any of it. ;)

Cassini90125
11-21-2006, 07:31 PM
Exactly. I think that really the worst that can be said of everyone who worked on this episode is that they made a mistake. Yes, it was a mistake that hurt a lot of people, and I would never presume to tell them they shouldn't feel that way. But I can't believe that there was any malicious intent to any of it. ;)

Nor can I. They miscalculated how strongly people would react, nothing more. I cannot and will not believe that they deliberately set out to hurt anybody, character or fan.

Howard
11-21-2006, 08:09 PM
Okay I have listened quietly long enough (kind of like the new manager checking out how things are run in the office before he/she makes changes). Was there malicious intent? Absolutely. Was Goofball out to be cruel to Frankie? Without a doubt. I (and a few million others) love Frankie very much, and to see her get hurt this way is unthinkable. Now here is what I want to point out. Was Goofball evil? Absolutely NOT! Evil people have no concsience. Goofball had at least the enough decency to show his gratitude to Frankie at the end ("You fed me, you made sure my clothes were clean..." or words to that effect). I think an evil person would never have shown even a drop of gratitude. Is it an episode I can do without? Unquestionably! There is my 2 cents, now I will go back into my corner and listen some more...:herriman:

Voxxyn
11-22-2006, 09:46 AM
Alright then. It was a miscalculation.

It's still a HURTFUL, VICIOUS and TRAUMATIC miscalculation, and it still makes me deeply upset.

Invader Bloo
11-22-2006, 10:08 AM
Yeah but Tardball's still a jerk, he was careless & mean.

Voxxyn
11-22-2006, 04:39 PM
I don't want to disrespect any of the crew... but, honestly--did they really show any respect or consideration for the feelings of Frankie's fans by making the episode the way they did? Because I myself still feel disrespected and hurt.

BlooCheese
11-22-2006, 04:52 PM
I don't think they fully realized how damaging and hurtful IHFUMEUP would be while they were creating it. They probably regret it now, I hope.

montitech
11-22-2006, 08:03 PM
I think we should do a poll as to how people rate the goofball episode,

but I am a bit shy on time rigt now to figure out how to start a poll.

ps. I still like the episode.
[in wilt voice] is thats OK. :D

Cassini90125
11-22-2006, 08:21 PM
I'll add it. Standard letter-grade poll, A-F; sound good?

Edit - Okay, it's added. A little gasoline for the fire, I suspect, but we'll see what happens. Let's try to keep it civil in here, m'kay?

montitech
11-23-2006, 04:18 AM
Thanks Cassini90125,

I think to keep things civil it may be best to NOT declare what one rates the episode. After a few more people rate the episode we will all be able to see how the episode ranks up to peoples taste.

Invader Bloo
11-23-2006, 08:05 PM
Someone actually gave it an A. :X
The episode was horrid! Notghing funny! It was a disgrace, something Disney Channel would show! :frankiemad:

I rated it an F-. Worst episode ever.

montitech
11-23-2006, 08:19 PM
I must admit, I like goofball and was one of the A's.

However I figure the Staff in charge of programming at CN must also like it since they usually show it a few times a month. AND it was in the marathon earlier today....

Invader Bloo
11-23-2006, 09:50 PM
Eh, I say every month.:X
None a year is fine, show "Seeing Red" instead, I haven't seen that one in ages.

Voxxyn
11-24-2006, 11:27 AM
...it was on the marathon? A "best of" marathon?!? What kind of twisted joke is that?

IHFUMEUP should be permanently banned from ever officially airing again. That's how I honestly feel. The fact it's still frequently aired while other, infinitely superior Foster's episodes have been neglected makes me SICK. :'(

Invader Bloo
11-24-2006, 11:45 AM
I don't think it was a "best-of" marathon, "Bus the Two of Us" didn't air. Though it did have a ton of great epsiodes. Yeah the episode should neverbe aired again like some R&S episodes of course the banned R&S episodes were good ones.:jk:

Mr. Marshmallow
11-26-2006, 12:03 AM
IHFUMEUP should be permanently banned from ever officially airing again. That's how I honestly feel. The fact it's still frequently aired while other, infinitely superior Foster's episodes have been neglected makes me SICK. :'(

As much as I do dislike Frankie's treatment in that episode, I just can't find it fair in my own weird way to ban the episode FOREVER. Same with "Only have surprise for you" I absolutely HATED HATED HATED how Mac was treated in that episode.

And I do NOT watch it, I'll skip channels gladly just to miss it. But still, I can't find it in my heart to say I want it banned from TV airwaves for life. Just the way I am. I do however agree very much so that certain episodes of Foster's need to be aired more so then the ones that are being repeated now.

Like Berry's episode, Setting a president, Frankie my dear, seeing red, and camp keep a good mac down.

Invader Bloo
11-26-2006, 07:07 AM
CKAGMD airs semi-good, the rest you mentioned air like once every 5 months. :(

Jabberwocky
11-26-2006, 07:30 AM
Yeah okay, the few times I've been able to catch Foster's on TV (no cable) it was IHFUMEUP once, and then literally the rest of the time WTAWTAW/EKIB. How unlucky.

Invader Bloo
11-26-2006, 07:49 AM
The 3 worst episodes.:(
Bad luck....

BlooCheese
11-26-2006, 10:43 AM
I don't really understand this.
I'm a fan of Mac's, but I Only Have a Surprise for You didn't really bother me that much. In fact, it's one of my favorite episodes. But on the other hand, I am not okay with Imposter's Home, although I could never consider myself as a Frankie fan on the same level of fandom as Cassini and Voxxyn and Mr. Marshmallow and Medikor. (I know there are others, but please forgive me. Your names have slipped my mind momentarily.) Does that make sense? I thought not.

Voxxyn
11-26-2006, 11:28 AM
Alright then. The episodes Mr. M mentioned should be aired more often, while IHFUMEUP and the other "let's bash so-and-so!" episodes of the series should be relegated to once every few months.

"Frankie My Dear" and "Setting A President" getting little airtime is ESPECIALLY hurtful to me. But I guess Cartoon Network hates the idea of Frankie being portrayed in a positive light, which is what these episodes do... while IHFUMEUP has a very "Foster's 5 rocks, Frankie sucks!" vibe that seems to correspond perfectly with CN's "kids rule and adults drool" mentality. :(

Invader Bloo
11-26-2006, 11:35 AM
IOHASFY airs semi-alot, along the sam elevel as Imposters.
Yeah, the whole kids rule thing is only seen in KND, I mean Fred Fredburger is an adult & he's one of the stars of CN. Plus FMD & SAP are pretty Bloo filled. Yeah, SAP & FMD never air, I'm so sick of it. But they air the crap episodes ALL the times. I just don't get it.:'(

Jabberwocky
11-26-2006, 01:15 PM
That doesn't make much sense. I don't understand why Frankie My Dear wouldn't be aired a lot. The Orlando Bloo scene is one of the funniest things ever.

I think someone should tell cartoon network Goofball is not even minutely worthy of a too-hoo-hoo once everybody's seen the episode five hundred times.

Mr. Marshmallow
11-26-2006, 01:19 PM
This bothers me almost as much as Goofball in general bothers me. Foster's show is loved by ADULTS too, it's not a sin to be past the age of 15 and love this show you know? I'm 22 and while I am a bit nervous about watching it when my 18 year old brother is around, I still totally love this show.

I think it's stupid adults are being zeroed out just because CN is designed for kids. If they had any brains they'd realize that teens and adults are just as good a market to rank in as any other market. They canned "Teen Titans" and "JL: Unlimited" 2 superb adult/teen aimed shows that were amazingly good.

Foster's appeals to adults and toons and like I said about if they ever had a "get drawn into Foster's" contest, odds are some 9 year old would get in. That's bull $#@! I'm just a big a fan as any other 10 year old and my age shouldn't matter a dam thing. Same with those episodes, why single them out so carelessly?

There are alot better episodes then rewatching "Cuckoo for coco cards" for the billionth time. I had to find "Berry Scary" and "Camp keep a good Mac down" on youtube.com because CN can't find the time to air them.

billytheskink
11-26-2006, 07:45 PM
I think it's stupid adults are being zeroed out just because CN is designed for kids. If they had any brains they'd realize that teens and adults are just as good a market to rank in as any other market.

It's not Cartoon Network you have to convince, it's the companies that advertise on the channel.

Adults are zeroed out because kid-oriented advertisers want to be featured on cartoons that are popular with kids.

It's unfortunate at times, but without those advertisers we don't have any CN in the first place, we don't have any Foster's.

Mr. Marshmallow
11-26-2006, 08:15 PM
That doesn't change the fact that zeroing older audience members is a down right crummy and scummy thing to do. Their work is still appreciated, it's their underlined intention that still bugs me.

The way I see it, fans are fans. Doesn't matter who you target, if you really want your show to get noticed and remain popular, I suggest taking care of EVERY fan you get, regardless of age or anything else.

BabyElephant
11-26-2006, 11:30 PM
That doesn't change the fact that zeroing older audience members is a down right crummy and scummy thing to do. Their work is still appreciated, it's their underlined intention that still bugs me.

The way I see it, fans are fans. Doesn't matter who you target, if you really want your show to get noticed and remain popular, I suggest taking care of EVERY fan you get, regardless of age or anything else.

Fans are fans, but the same doesn't apply to advertising dollars. TV networks charge for advertising minutes based on how desirable their perceived demographic is. Kids tend to have a lot of disposable income, and a big say in what their parents buy (cereal, toys, etc.) As a result, advertisers are willing to pay more to air commercials geared toward children. This, of course, makes CN very happy. Of course they want to keep older fans happy too, but they probably feel that we'll keep watching the shows we love regardless. Corporate marketing be a cruel mistress. :(

billytheskink
11-27-2006, 04:33 AM
it's a noble thought, Mr. M.

but it has proven to be a poor marketing strategy, especially in these days of seriously fragmented television ratings. Cable advertisers want the networks to deliver narrow target market segments.

Mr. Marshmallow
11-27-2006, 10:39 AM
It may not be the best marketing strategy in the world, but that doesn't change the fact that this show impacts older people like myself just as greatly as it does kids. It can be the down right worst strategy in the world for all I care, still doesn't change the fact that fans matter.

Just because you target a certain age doesn't always mean you will get that age, nor does it mean you won't get people who love the show who are different from the targeted age. I'm not saying change everything for the sake of mature fans in terms of advertising.

All I am saying is I think us older fans should be taken at least somewhat into consideration.

Howard
11-27-2006, 12:58 PM
Just an observation. I do believe the animators have the same claim as the animators of the past (i.e. WB toons, MGM, Disney, etc.): "They were/are not made for kids, or adults - they were made for us!" This is regardless of marketing, or fan base.:frankiesmile:

BabyElephant
11-27-2006, 01:00 PM
It may not be the best marketing strategy in the world, but that doesn't change the fact that this show impacts older people like myself just as greatly as it does kids. It can be the down right worst strategy in the world for all I care, still doesn't change the fact that fans matter.

Just because you target a certain age doesn't always mean you will get that age, nor does it mean you won't get people who love the show who are different from the targeted age. I'm not saying change everything for the sake of mature fans in terms of advertising.

All I am saying is I think us older fans should be taken at least somewhat into consideration.

I couldn't agree more, actually, but unfortunately as we all know, money talks. The only thing I can think of that might even have a chance of changing things would be a massive letter writing campaign. If CN sees their profit margin as being in any way threatened, they might change their tune. Sadly, though, given the realities of modern American business, that's far from a given. :terrence:

Howard
11-27-2006, 01:11 PM
I couldn't agree more, actually, but unfortunately as we all know, money talks. The only thing I can think of that might even have a chance of changing things would be a massive letter writing campaign. If CN sees their profit margin as being in any way threatened, they might change their tune. Sadly, though, given the realities of modern American business, that's far from a given. :terrence:

Now hold on thar! I have CN stock; you start that letter writing thing my earnings will further drop!;)

BabyElephant
11-27-2006, 09:10 PM
Now hold on thar! I have CN stock; you start that letter writing thing my earnings will further drop!;)

Ha ha, we have somebody on the inside!!! Well, not really, but still more inside than I am (which is saying absolutely nothing). Do you get a cool cartoon stock certificate when you buy CN stock, the way you do (or at least used to) with Disney stock? Cause if so, I might have to pick up a few shares. :cheesegrin:

billytheskink
11-27-2006, 10:14 PM

I'd think that Cartoon Network takes older fans into consideration, but not at the expense of younger fans.

Kids are fans too, they deserve to see their favorite shows just as much as us older folks.

Mr. Marshmallow
11-29-2006, 11:25 PM
I'd think that Cartoon Network takes older fans into consideration, but not at the expense of younger fans.

Kids are fans too, they deserve to see their favorite shows just as much as us older folks.

I don't want them to "expense" anyone. But as long as they ARE taking adults into consideration and not just totally focusing 100% on kids, I'll feel happy.

I'm not saying mature teens/adults should replace kids, but they should be heard and not ignored.

taranchula
11-30-2006, 01:13 PM
Wow this thread has gone so off topic, it's hardly recognizable anymore. ;)

(BTW no one is in trouble, and I am not going to lock this thread, Because I just want to be fair to any new members that would like give his or her two cents about the topic at hand.)

Voxxyn
11-30-2006, 01:31 PM
Like I said before, I'm not completely closed to the idea of Goofball making a return appearance.

BUT if he does, it BETTER be in a storyline centered on Frankie... and by that, a storyline that actually has a POSITIVE outcome for Frankie that makes up for her wrongful suffering caused by their first encounter, and shows to her and the viewers that maybe he isn't such a bad person.

If that happens, I'll let go my hatred of Goofball and his starring role. Until then... :frankiemad:

EDIT: I just checked the BFAHP website--and discovered that the clip in Frankie's bio is taken from IHFUMEUP.

They could've used a number of scenes from "Frankie My Dear" or "Setting A President" which would actually do a good job of representing her character. Instead, they go for the episode that insults her and her fans.

I'm starting to think Cartoon Network hates Frankie.

Invader Bloo
11-30-2006, 02:16 PM
...Or they could use my fan-fic, but with a new name. :) It's also Cheese filled so you know CN would air it alot (*cough*Big Cheese*cough*)

Howard
11-30-2006, 11:04 PM
Like I said before, I'm not completely closed to the idea of Goofball making a return appearance.

BUT if he does, it BETTER be in a storyline centered on Frankie... and by that, a storyline that actually has a POSITIVE outcome for Frankie that makes up for her wrongful suffering caused by their first encounter, and shows to her and the viewers that maybe he isn't such a bad person.

If that happens, I'll let go my hatred of Goofball and his starring role. Until then... :frankiemad:

Ya know - I would not mind if he made a second appearance, and Frankie tells him to play on the freeway during rush hour - and he does. Think of the possibilities!:frankiesmile: :scaryberry:

billytheskink
12-03-2006, 04:49 PM
Wow this thread has gone so off topic, it's hardly recognizable anymore. ;)

sorry about that. I walked in late to a conversation and I was trying to figure out what was going on. I didn't, but that's nothing new.

Mr. Marshmallow
12-03-2006, 05:11 PM
Yeah it was my fault too, someone mentioned the whole kids and adult targeted audiences thing and I just got really off track. Sorry about that.

Btw, if Goofball ever does show up again? I hope he has learned his lesson AND he keeps his red nose on.....that elephant nose is kinda nasty.

Cassini90125
12-03-2006, 05:12 PM
Be fun to tie a knot in it, though. ;D

Nathander
12-04-2006, 06:29 PM
I finally saw that their was a poll added, and I gave the episode a D.

As I've stated before, I did not look Goofball or this episode, but my reasoning for disliking it tends to be very different then the apparent predominant reasoning for disliking it. While I do think Frankie got a raw deal, her treatment in and of itself wasn't enough to anger me, because as I've said before, I still don't feel this was the cruelest prank pulled on someone in the show.

My primary reason for disliking it is that I don't feel the character of Goofball, or the episode in general, was well structured. I know the whole thing with Goofball actually being an IF was intended to be irony, but I think it was poorly done considering the fact that they had already set up so much to disprove this, as well as some of Goofball's own actions, such as actively guarding his red nose. I STILL don't get that; the only reason he could have been so possessive was for the fact that he was afraid Frankie would steal it from him, which makes no sense as he has no reason to believe Frankie would just maliciously take his property from him.

There's also the fact that he couldn't remember simple information about himself (his full name, his phone number, ect.) and that he had homework. Perhaps, in Canada, IFs also have to go to school for whatever reason. I don't know. Perhaps he was just genuinely stupid, which is my personal belief. Kind of like Cheese, but able to communicate better.

I just thought it was a poorly done episode that wasn't up to snuff with the rest of the series, really.

Voxxyn
12-04-2006, 07:56 PM
I still don't feel this was the cruelest prank pulled on someone in the show.

I'm not so sure about this. I think what Goofball did to Frankie in this episode was far worse than what happened to Mac in "I Only Have Surprise For You".

Mac didn't have to put up with the demands of a malicious jerk(whether intentionally or accidentally doesn't change the fact he WAS), buy groceries twice on the same day, do extra hours of cleaning and chores, and be denied from going to something he'd been anticipating forever. Bloo's birthday party plan for Mac WAS a cruel prank, I'm not doubting that. But by comparison, Frankie wasn't 'pranked' at all--she was ABUSED and TORTURED.

I'm not trying to discredit the unpleasantness of what the entire house did to Mac in IOHSFY. I felt bad for him, and really angry at Bloo. But what happened to Frankie in IHFUMEUP is on another level of horror and suffering.

I DO completely agree that the episode was very lacking in technical merits, and was a very poor "swan song" for Craig Lewis. The thinness and laziness of the actual plot, compared to the extreme harshness of Frankie's suffering, was what originally led me to believe it was an attack on Frankie. Whether or not it actually was an attack, doesn't change the fact it continues to upset and depress me just for existing.

Mr. Marshmallow
12-04-2006, 08:41 PM
I'm not trying to discredit the unpleasantness of what the entire house did to Mac in IOHSFY. I felt bad for him, and really angry at Bloo. But what happened to Frankie in IHFUMEUP is on another level of horror and suffering.

I partially disagree. On one hand, I agree this was a terrible episode for Frankie and it was absolute hell for her. However, I think the overall affect of what happened to Mac in IOHSFY was more "damaging" because he was psychologically scarred.

That's the main thing that really pissed me off. Frankie's day of hell was just that, a day, and while I'm no way condoning what Goofball did to her, I'm still really upset at the fact that Bloo drove Mac into a mental phobia of his own birthday. At least Frankie only had to put up with Goofball for one day.

Mac on the other hand is shown to be scarred for life and fearing his birthday at every wake and turn. And that's what really upsets me, the fact he had be so afraid of something that's joyful. Goofball was an ass for a day, but what Bloo did is everlasting.

Nathander
12-04-2006, 09:06 PM
Mac didn't have to put up with the demands of a malicious jerk(whether intentionally or accidentally doesn't change the fact he WAS)

Not so. Mac, at the end, allowed himself to dance to the whims of Bloo, who is a jerk (though, unlike Goofball, a likeable and....oddly enough, commonly friendly jerk) and, in "I Only Have Surprise for You", his actions could easily be considered malicious. Of course, I doubt he was intentionally malicious, but as you yourself said, intentionally or accidentally doesn't change the fact that Bloo was a jerk in this episode. What he did was worse psychological in the long run then what Goofbally did to Frankie. Mac has had a fear of his own birthday for some time now due to Bloo, and now it's not only due to Bloo but just about everyone in the one sanctuary and joyful place he has. Quite obviously, it'll be hard for him to come to trust any of them, as they used his eventual shame and his attempt to set himself right to them for their amusement and entertainment. Goofball never actively attempted to use Frankie's shame for the sake of amusement, from what I can remember.

Bloo's birthday party plan for Mac WAS a cruel prank, I'm not doubting that. But by comparison, Frankie wasn't 'pranked' at all--she was ABUSED and TORTURED.

Frankie had to miss a single concert and do extra chores. Mac was humilated in front of everyone he thought he could trust, after having been spit on by them for having been a jerk, and then having his goodwill thrown back in his face when he found out the entire thing was part of a scam to make him perform an act Mac himself found to be one of the ultimate forms of degredation. Now, while we could say Frankie was humiliated by Goofball during her Goof-Goof routine, it wasn't as if EVERYONE in the house had conspired against her for this. She was embarrassed by one jerk, and one we will never see again. Mac was embarrassed and insulted by every single person he counted as a friend, who he sees each day.

No offense, but I see what happened to Frankie being more along the lines of a prank then the cruelty enacted towards Mac. I'm not saying Frankie wasn't treated cruelly; she was, I thought she didn't deserve what happened to her one bit. However, I still don't think the deal she got was as raw as the one Mac got.

The thinness and laziness of the actual plot, compared to the extreme harshness of Frankie's suffering, was what originally led me to believe it was an attack on Frankie. Whether or not it actually was an attack, doesn't change the fact it continues to upset and depress me just for existing.

And you have more then the right to feel as such. I myself feel the same way about IOHSFY, so I'd be a hypocrit to lambast you for feeling that way.

That's the main thing that really pissed me off. Frankie's day of hell was just that, a day, and while I'm no way condoning what Goofball did to her, I'm still really upset at the fact that Bloo drove Mac into a mental phobia of his own birthday. At least Frankie only had to put up with Goofball for one day.

Mac on the other hand is shown to be scarred for life and fearing his birthday at every wake and turn. And that's what really upsets me, the fact he had be so afraid of something that's joyful. Goofball was an ass for a day, but what Bloo did is everlasting.

My sentiments exactly, Mr. Marshmallow. My sentiments exacly.

Voxxyn
12-05-2006, 02:10 AM
I see you're looking at this in terms of public embarassment. To me, the 'embarassment' aspect in IHFUMEUP(Frankie being unmasked from her Goof-Goof disguise) was just a poisoned extra topping to the realization that Frankie was forced to miss something she really wanted to see so she could instead clean an entire gigantic mansion "top to bottom", despite all the extra work and cleaning she did on what was supposed to be her day off thanks to a lazy jerk, and in face of the fact that she's already a very underappreciated and sympathetic person.

And it was NOT just Goofball who made Frankie suffer. Bloo caused the chemistry set flood at the beginning, assisted Goofball with eating all the food, and essentially became his partner-in-crime. Goofball also had human friends over who made a huge mess. Mr. Herriman kept ordering Frankie to clean up all the messes caused by Goofball/Bloo, and was the one who made the decision which led to her missing the concert. And none of the other friends - not even WILT - felt any guilt about going to the concert without her(even though she worked very hard for the tickets and it was probably her decision to take the gang with her), nor did they even bring her anything from the event(a t-shirt, autograph, etc) as consolation. Even Madame Foster added insult to injury with how she was completely absent in this episode, and thus did nothing about the unfair suffering inflicted on her FLESH-AND-BLOOD GRANDDAUGHTER... and then got away unscathed with commiting some incredibly callous acts just two episodes later.

Mac definitely won't have it easy trying to trust his friends after the birthday scheme, or being able to enjoy birthdays in the near future. But Frankie, following her ordeal with Goofball, is still left as being a very underappreciated and 'taken advantage of' maid, who still has an oppressive rabbit as her boss, still has a wild blob of an IF to clean up after and put up with, and has a grandmother with the luxury of getting away with literally everything the TV-Y7 rating will allow.

In an admitedly weird and bizzare way, I deeply sympathize with Mac's ordeal. Mac was betrayed by the people supposed to be his best friends with a birthday plot to embarass him. I, as a Frankie fan, felt betrayed by people I greatly admire with an episode that was very painful and cruel. Just like it'll be very hard for Mac to fully forgive his friends for that humiliating experience, it's become very hard for me to fully forgive the show's writers and staff for making this episode and allowing it to air in the first place. I'm greatly hoping Season 5 will have a Frankie episode that will heal the wounds of this episode("Setting A President" was not enough) and celebrates her character instead of burying her, but there's still part of me that fears they'll end up creating another hurtful monstrosity of an episode(though I see IOHSFY is already considered as such by some).

Cassini90125
12-05-2006, 08:24 AM
Well said indeed, and an excellent summary. I can't find anything here that I really disagree with. However,

Even Madame Foster added insult to injury with how she was completely absent in this episode, and thus did nothing about the unfair suffering inflicted on her FLESH-AND-BLOOD GRANDDAUGHTER...

We can't place any blame on Madam Foster; I can't see being absent as a strike against her. For all we know she could have been comforting a sick friend at the hospital all day, or perhaps out schmoozing the local big shots in an attempt to raise funds for the house. Had she been at home I like to think she could have, and would have, intervened. Unfortunately she wasn't, but it isn't her fault that she has other things outside of the house to take care of.

Howard
12-05-2006, 08:25 AM
I see you're looking at this in terms of public embarassment. To me, the 'embarassment' aspect in IHFUMEUP(Frankie being unmasked from her Goof-Goof disguise) was just a poisoned extra topping to the realization that Frankie was forced to miss something she really wanted to see so she could instead clean an entire gigantic mansion "top to bottom", despite all the extra work and cleaning she did on what was supposed to be her day off thanks to a lazy jerk, and in face of the fact that she's already a very underappreciated and sympathetic person.

And it was NOT just Goofball who made Frankie suffer. Bloo caused the chemistry set flood at the beginning, assisted Goofball with eating all the food, and essentially became his partner-in-crime. Goofball also had human friends over who made a huge mess. Mr. Herriman kept ordering Frankie to clean up all the messes caused by Goofball/Bloo, and was the one who made the decision which led to her missing the concert. And none of the other friends - not even WILT - felt any guilt about going to the concert without her(even though she worked very hard for the tickets and it was probably her decision to take the gang with her), nor did they even bring her anything from the event(a t-shirt, autograph, etc) as consolation. Even Madame Foster added insult to injury with how she was completely absent in this episode, and thus did nothing about the unfair suffering inflicted on her FLESH-AND-BLOOD GRANDDAUGHTER... and then got away unscathed with commiting some incredibly callous acts just two episodes later.

Mac definitely won't have it easy trying to trust his friends after the birthday scheme, or being able to enjoy birthdays in the near future. But Frankie, following her ordeal with Goofball, is still left as being a very underappreciated and 'taken advantage of' maid, who still has an oppressive rabbit as her boss, still has a wild blob of an IF to clean up after and put up with, and has a grandmother with the luxury of getting away with literally everything the TV-Y7 rating will allow.

In an admitedly weird and bizzare way, I deeply sympathize with Mac's ordeal. Mac was betrayed by the people supposed to be his best friends with a birthday plot to embarass him. I, as a Frankie fan, felt betrayed by people I greatly admire with an episode that was very painful and cruel. Just like it'll be very hard for Mac to fully forgive his friends for that humiliating experience, it's become very hard for me to fully forgive the show's writers and staff for making this episode and allowing it to air in the first place. I'm greatly hoping Season 5 will have a Frankie episode that will heal the wounds of this episode("Setting A President" was not enough) and celebrates her character instead of burying her, but there's still part of me that fears they'll end up creating another hurtful monstrosity of an episode(though I see IOHSFY is already considered as such by some).

In the words of Fred Flintstone - "Ooooh boy!":jk:

InsaneFan
12-05-2006, 10:11 AM
He has many haters...And surprisingly, Goofball's thread is 20 pages long. :jk: 8D

Howard
12-05-2006, 10:30 AM
He has many haters...And surprisingly, Goofball's thread is 20 pages long. :jk: 8D

20 pages? Yikes!:o

Nathander
12-05-2006, 11:15 AM

I never tried to downplay this. However, you're ignoring the fact that this has only happened to Frankie once. From what we can tell, Bloo has done this to Mac since his fourth birthday. Considering that Mac's torture has been on going, while Frankie's has only been once, I still see Mac's as worse due to the fact that he has to look to this about once every year; Frankie got sideswiped by it and didn't expect what happened to her, but that will only happen once IN HER WHOLE LIFE.

Also, if we want to look at this situation from a psychological view, Mac also got the worst of it. He's only a child; a mature child, but the events that happen to him in his life will prepare him for what happens to him in the future. From what's happening, it would appear that he's going to be prepared to hate his birthday, as well as develop a strong paranoia and distrust of his friends and an attempt to hide shame, as he's seen that by showing shame he gets taken advantage of. Frankie, on the other hand, is a full-grown adult and better prepared for crap like what happened to her by Goofball handed to her. While I'm in no way saying what happened to her was deserved, it's unlikely that what happened to her will affect her negatively in the long run. What happened to Mac, however, probably will as its one of the things shaping his growing/developing psyche.

And it was NOT just Goofball who made Frankie suffer. Bloo caused the chemistry set flood at the beginning, assisted Goofball with eating all the food, and essentially became his partner-in-crime. Goofball also had human friends over who made a huge mess. Mr. Herriman kept ordering Frankie to clean up all the messes caused by Goofball/Bloo, and was the one who made the decision which led to her missing the concert. And none of the other friends - not even WILT - felt any guilt about going to the concert without her(even though she worked very hard for the tickets and it was probably her decision to take the gang with her), nor did they even bring her anything from the event(a t-shirt, autograph, etc) as consolation.

Alright, yes, she does still have to deal with Herriman and Bloo. However, she's been dealing with Herriman and Bloo since the beginning of the series, and basically knows how to take care of them. The main problem was Goofball. Bloo has caused havoc time and time again, the only difference in this episode being the fact that he basically ended up assisting Goofball, who worked as the ringleader. While I think Bloo would have caused some form of mischief, as he does every day, I doubt it would have been as bad as it was without Goofball.

As for Herriman.....I'm torn on that. I didn't want to see Frankie miss her concert, but Herriman, at the same time, was merely doing what he felt was his duty, which was to ensure the correct running of the house. While Herriman is bossy and occasionally apathetic and cool to the plight of the other characters in the house, he is so for a reason, that being his devotion to his creator and to his job. I have a hard time finding him guilty of anything more than actually performing his assigned duty.

This I know I'm going to get flamed for, so let me stress this: I ADORE the character of Frankie. However, while it is unfair that she didn't get to go to her concert because of Bloo and Goofball, she didn't get to do so because she needed to do her job. While it was due to a misunderstanding and Herriman's own stubborness, she is still responsible for getting everything cleaned up regardless. She didn't deserve it, by any means; but if you're actually getting paid to do a job, you are the one expected to do it, no matter what. I've had situations at my job similar to Frankie's (her job, not the Goofball situation), and there have been many times where I've had to stay a hour or so late because some idiot had made a big mess right after I was finished with my regular hours. Saying "Oh, somone else could've done it/Bloo and/or Goofball should've cleaned it up since it's their mess" doesn't apply here because cleaning up messes is what Frankie's paid for. Again, I adore Frankie, and she did do her job correctly, but there's times where life spits in our eye. This is what happened to Frankie.

Even Madame Foster added insult to injury with how she was completely absent in this episode, and thus did nothing about the unfair suffering inflicted on her FLESH-AND-BLOOD GRANDDAUGHTER... and then got away unscathed with commiting some incredibly callous acts just two episodes later.

I find that to be out of line. Like Cassinni said, you have no way of knowing what Madam Foster could've been doing during this time, let alone that she knew what was going on. You're pointing figures and making false/unfounded accusations.

Again, she's a full grown adult dealing with the problems she commonly has to deal with in order to do her job. However, we do know she has friends that she probably sees, or talks to, fairly often outside the house. Her missing this event is a one-time thing; as far as we can see, it doesn't happen on a very often basis. Mac, however, has no friends that we can tell other then the people he sees at the home (I include Goo in this, considering he only sees Goo at the home), and has know had this sanctuary shattered because of Bloo. Frankie didn't deserve what happened to her, and neither did Mac; the main difference is that Frankie is a full-grown woman capable of dealing with the stresses and problems of the world; Mac is not, and is clearly not capable of doing such yet.

You're making two very, very different divisions. In Mac's case, it's about a fictional character being unable to fully forgive fictional characters. In the case you apply to yourself, you, a real person, are refusing to forgive real people for merely attempting to do their job. Now, I have no problem with you being angered by and at the episode; I myself feel the same way towards IOHSFY. I do, however, have a problem with you aiming this anger towards the people who were merely attempting to make a quality program. They made a mistake making this episode, yes; however, as entertainers, I don't think their purpose was to malicious attack Frankie and her fans (I also don't think IOHSFY was an attack on Mac and his fans, to clear that up); they were merely attempting to entertain and in this case made a bad choice in how to. Nor do I think they need to apologize, really; every show will occasionally have a problematic episode, and that's what Goofball's episode was. I see no reason to be personally angered by the creators and writers of the show/episode.

Voxxyn
12-05-2006, 02:54 PM
You keep mentioning "ONE TIME ONLY" as if 1) the episode established that Frankie was a long-time concertgoer on her free time, that missing this particular one wasn't such a big deal, and that she'll nonetheless be able to attend many more concerts in the future, or 2) some kind of event happened in a future episode where Frankie actually gets to enjoy herself for a change, thus possibly reversing it's hurtfulness. As far as I know, neither of these things actually happened(with the latter, HOPEFULLY only "at the moment").

The concert wasn't built up as a common leisure, it was a rare opportunity for a much-overworked person like Frankie to finally get some kind of reward for all she does, and like I said, she undoubtedly worked very hard just to save up her money and get those tickets. If she missed it because of a genuine emergency that threatened the house(willingly or begrudgingly, but Frankie is the type of person that would willingly sacrifice something for the sake of those closest to her), I wouldn't have minded at all.

She missed because of a lazy jerk who caused her to do an unreasonable amount of extra work on what was supposed to be her DAY OFF, and actually got away with it unscathed, while Frankie remains a very underappreciated and overworked person who continues to be denied the chance to actually enjoy herself for a change.

So, yes, Frankie missing the concert IS a very big deal to me.

You make good points in general, but I still stand by my overall feelings.

Mr. Marshmallow
12-05-2006, 03:27 PM
Yeah.....this seems like very raw territory now so I'm not gonna try and burst any heads here with anyone, I do have a few things I want to get off my chest on this whole issue. First off, I want to say that while I will never sugarcoat what happened to Frankie with Goofball was a total nightmare.

Even if it was a single concert or 20, it was really hard to see her get pushed like that and all because of someone who was so inconsiderate, lazy, and insensitive to Frankie's feelings. I hate the way she was treated and yet oddly enough, I can actually stand to watch this episode.

More so then the "Surprise" one. Why you ask? Because of mainly 3 things, 1: The only part that was REALLY like physically hard to watch was the scrubbing scene, 2: Frankie as we all know has very few episodes so good or bad, I think apart of me still watches it because it IS still about Frankie.

Take what you can get in a manner of speaking. And finally 3: Frankie at least accepted her beef with Goofball and left on a semi happy note, or rather I should say she left feeling a means of "okay, glad that's over". But as far as Mac's episode with "Surprise", that I physically CANNOT watch.

I don't like Mac over Frankie, but when you look at Mac's problem in that episode realistically....it hurts me to think what Mac went through. I can't see how someone becoming pscyhologically paranoid over the day of his birth is even conceivably funny, he is LITERALLY freaking scared of his B-day.

And why so, from a terrible accident, death of a family member, bad test grade, NO it was his freaking best friend! Bloo's been an ass before but this was way too far, I cannot tolerate the fact he was messing with Mac's head so carelessly, especially for someone who is supposed to be his best friend.

Not only that, but unlike Frankie's torment, Mac didn't get ANY relief. He was left more scared, more upset, and even MORE humilated. The episode ended with him worse off then he started. Do you know how HARD it is to actually get a phobia forced into you outside of childhood trauama or accidents?

Very hard, and the fact Bloo thought it was hilarious hurt me even more. I think Wilt said it best in the "Sight for Sore eyes" episode:

"I'm sorry but WHAT A JERK!"

Nathander
12-05-2006, 04:08 PM
You keep mentioning "ONE TIME ONLY" as if 1) the episode established that Frankie was a long-time concertgoer on her free time, that missing this particular one wasn't such a big deal, and that she'll nonetheless be able to attend many more concerts in the future, or 2) some kind of event happened in a future episode where Frankie actually gets to enjoy herself for a change, thus possibly reversing it's hurtfulness. As far as I know, neither of these things actually happened(with the latter, HOPEFULLY only "at the moment").

The concert wasn't built up as a common leisure, it was a rare opportunity for a much-overworked person like Frankie to finally get some kind of reward for all she does, and like I said, she undoubtedly worked very hard just to save up her money and get those tickets. If she missed it because of a genuine emergency that threatened the house(willingly or begrudgingly, but Frankie is the type of person that would willingly sacrifice something for the sake of those closest to her), I wouldn't have minded at all.

She missed because of a lazy jerk who caused her to do an unreasonable amount of extra work on what was supposed to be her DAY OFF, and actually got away with it unscathed, while Frankie remains a very underappreciated and overworked person who continues to be denied the chance to actually enjoy herself for a change.

So, yes, Frankie missing the concert IS a very big deal to me.

You make good points in general, but I still stand by my overall feelings.

Thing is, Frankie can go to another concert sometime, whereas Mac can never relive all those birthdays that've been ruined for him. Thing is, Frankie can probably enjoy going to whatever concert she eventually goes to, while Mac has probably had the notion of birthday parties completely and utterly ruined for him by this event and those preceding it.

No, going to a concert wasn't built up as a general leisure; however, Frankie has more chances to go to a concert then Mac has to have an enjoyable birthday. Also, Frankie is a grown woman, and thus this strike to her psyche was nowhere near as devastating as the strike to Mac's was because of the impressionability of age. Frankie's psyche has already, for the most part, finished developing; Mac's is still in development. That being the case, Frankie isn't likely to develop any kind of mental trauma from her run in with Goofball, but Mac could very easily develop a form of paranoia (and we're shown that he has) over the events in "I Only Have Surprise for You" concerning something that's supposed to be a joyful celebration.

I also noticed that you said Frankie missing the concert was a very big deal for you. Now, again, I can't blame you or call you out for that, because I tend to do it too. However, I'm trying my best to not put my own personal views into the matter and look at it from a purely logical standpoint, based on that alone. That's not to say that I haven't slipped up in doing such, but I do have to say that, while I can understand your anger over the episode, I think you take the episode slightly too personally. Yuu're more than free to have personal opinions, of course, but I think you overreact slightly in consideration of this episode in that it was some sort of attack on Frankie or her fanbase (and I, for my part, don't believe IOHSFY was an attack on Mac and his fanbase, as I said in my last part). Maybe it is an attack and I'm wrong, but I'm afraid I just don't see it. I can't really argue this issue, as it's an issue of personal preference, so our own motives/views will derive too significantly to actually intelligently argue this point.

Also, this isn't to say that you don't use logic in your arguments; you argue your points beautifully. I'm just saying that I think you can be a bit overzealous in your protection of Frankie.

Even if it was a single concert or 20, it was really hard to see her get pushed like that and all because of someone who was so inconsiderate, lazy, and insensitive to Frankie's feelings.

I agree that it was horrible, and if it sounded like I was attempting to sugarcoat it, I was not (as I've said several times before). I just want that to be perfectly clear to everyone.

And finally 3: Frankie at least accepted her beef with Goofball and left on a semi happy note, or rather I should say she left feeling a means of "okay, glad that's over". But as far as Mac's episode with "Surprise", that I physically CANNOT watch.

I don't like Mac over Frankie, but when you look at Mac's problem in that episode realistically....it hurts me to think what Mac went through. I can't see how someone becoming pscyhologically paranoid over the day of his birth is even conceivably funny, he is LITERALLY freaking scared of his B-day.

And why so, from a terrible accident, death of a family member, bad test grade, NO it was his freaking best friend! Bloo's been an ass before but this was way too far, I cannot tolerate the fact he was messing with Mac's head so carelessly, especially for someone who is supposed to be his best friend.

Not only that, but unlike Frankie's torment, Mac didn't get ANY relief. He was left more scared, more upset, and even MORE humilated. The episode ended with him worse off then he started. Do you know how HARD it is to actually get a phobia forced into you outside of childhood trauama or accidents?

Very hard, and the fact Bloo thought it was hilarious hurt me even more. I think Wilt said it best in the "Sight for Sore eyes" episode:

"I'm sorry but WHAT A JERK!"

More or less, that's exactly what I've been attempting to convey in this conversation. Frankie's ordeal, at least, ended on a semi-sweet note. Not so with Mac.

However, in the same way I don't think Goofball was intentionally cruel, I also don't believe Bloo had intended to be cruel. I think, more or less, Bloo was atttempting to put some form of humorous spin to what he was doing and get Mac to appreciate it. Of course, being the Bloo we all know and love, he's unable to comprehend the fact that Mac doesn't exactly find his own personal degradation funny. So, to that degree, I don't have much of a beef with Bloo, though it confounds me as to how he was able to convince everyone else to go along with him, since you'd have though either Frankie or Wilt would've voiced a problem with it. But then again, I don't exactly have high views of IOHSFY. I'd give it a D, just like I did this episode.

Mr. Marshmallow
12-05-2006, 04:20 PM
However, in the same way I don't think Goofball was intentionally cruel, I also don't believe Bloo had intended to be cruel. I think, more or less, Bloo was atttempting to put some form of humorous spin to what he was doing and get Mac to appreciate it. Of course, being the Bloo we all know and love, he's unable to comprehend the fact that Mac doesn't exactly find his own personal degradation funny.

What Goofball actually did was intentionally cruel to an extent. The fact that he didn't care about ANYONE even slightly but himself, resulted in cruel actions and even when Frankie brought it to his attention, he still ignored her feelings and considerations.

I don't think Bloo was trying to put a funny spin on anything, tricking someone into thinking your being tricked only to trick them AGAIN is nothing short of a mind game. Bloo knows Mac's birthday phobia because HE started it, and he convinced everyone to see the humor in it.

Which I felt was out of character for the others. Pranks aren't nearly this elaborate and further more, there is a FINE LINE between a prank and a mean spirited act, this was a mean spirited act that resulted in nothing more then Mac's utter, total, and complete humilation.

Bloo played off his fear to get him to do what he wanted him to do, he USED Mac. That's what jerks do to people, not friends, friends don't use each other. Making fun of someone's fear is one thing, but it's not funny at all when the fear your making fun of was STARTED by your actions.

This is why I have the occasional beef with Bloo, I can name 5 crappy and snotty things he's done to Mac right off the top of my head. He's done a jack load of stuff that has earned him a meanstreak now and then, no matter how little or large it may come out, I think Bloo still has it.

Ever take a look to see how Bloo talks to Mac or what he says to him in general? Not too much different then how Goofball carelessly ripped on Frankie's name, and come on, we all know he knew how to say it right.

Nathander
12-05-2006, 04:42 PM
What Goofball actually did was intentionally cruel to an extent. The fact that he didn't care about ANYONE even slightly but himself, resulted in cruel actions and even when Frankie brought it to his attention, he still ignored her feelings and considerations.

True to a degree. While he was intentionally doing what he was doing, and doing it regardless of others and thus showing a cruel streak, I doubt there was any actual maliciousness in it, which is the thing. Same with Bloo; he's self-serving and apathetic, but I don't think his cruelty ever has a malicious base to it.

I don't think Bloo was trying to put a funny spin on anything, tricking someone into thinking your being tricked only to trick them AGAIN is nothing short of a mind game. Bloo knows Mac's birthday phobia because HE started it, and he convinced everyone to see the humor in it.

Which I felt was out of character for the others. Pranks aren't nearly this elaborate and further more, there is a FINE LINE between a prank and a mean spirited act, this was a mean spirited act that resulted in nothing more then Mac's utter, total, and complete humilation.

I felt that it was fairly out of character also that the others would willing participate. However, for it to truly qualify as a mean spirited act, Bloo must have meant it mean-spiritedly, and I honestly don't believe Bloo puts enough thoughts into his actions to be truly capable of performing a seriously malice act. He says what he wants to say and does what he wants to do; again, there's a slight form of intentional cruelty in that he's self-serving, but I don't think he'd ever actually be purposefully malicious.

Bloo played off his fear to get him to do what he wanted him to do, he USED Mac. That's what jerks do to people, not friends, friends don't use each other. Making fun of someone's fear is one thing, but it's not funny at all when the fear your making fun of was STARTED by your actions.

Again, I have a hard time believing that Bloo himself has the capability of knowing what he's doing is cruel, which is what actually counts in making it a malicious act. Since there was no malice intended by the actual starter, then there can be no true malice within the act; there can, however, be undeliberate malice, and that's what we see in both Goofball's episode and IOHSFY.

This is why I have the occasional beef with Bloo, I can name 5 crappy and snotty things he's done to Mac right off the top of my head. He's done a jack load of stuff that has earned him a meanstreak now and then, no matter how little or large it may come out, I think Bloo still has it.

Ever take a look to see how Bloo talks to Mac or what he says to him in general? Not too much different then how Goofball carelessly ripped on Frankie's name, and come on, we all know he knew how to say it right.

Yeah, Bloo has done a lot of bad stuff. however, in turn, he's ended up having several things go wrong for him and having to pay the price for it, kind of a karmic reversal. In a lot of ways, you could see Bloo and Mac as Goofus and Gallant, respectively; Gallant does all his chores, is a great kid, blah blah blah......meanwhile, Bloo's a lazy moron who tends to do something wrong and, inevitably, is paid that deed back. I have a hard time having a grudge with Bloo considering that he never really intends malice, and that he usually gets paid back for anything he does wrong.

Mr. Marshmallow
12-05-2006, 05:11 PM
I fail to see how it's not deliberate when Bloo is fully aware of Mac's fear of birthdays, and Bloo knows he is responsible for creating that fear. He knows he started it, he knows he developed the events that created that fear and he knew how to use it to do it again.

I also disagree with the whole "and I honestly don't believe Bloo puts enough thoughts into his actions to be truly capable of performing a seriously malice act". Consier the magnitude of this prank and it's insanely overly elborate nature, that's pretty well thought out if you ask me.

Bloo also may be a moron but he knows the difference between saying an insult and saying something nice, he's not unaware that words and actions can hurt people. He knew Herriman would get laughed at by posting up that video in WWW and he did it anyway, even after Frankie realized what she'd done.

The sad fact is, Bloo mostly thinks about himself, just like Goofball, the only difference being Goofball is so incredibly lazy and laidback he doesn't feel the need to do anything. Where as Bloo will go out of his way to have people pay attention to him, do what he wants, and listen to what he has to say.

Bloo's not the brightest blob in the world but he sure as hell knows how to hurt people. Far as karma goes, Bloo usually doesn't get payback unless he does something majorly bad. Half the rest of the time he's free to mock, jab, and verbally belittle Mac 24/7.

And the lack of karma comeback is SEVERELY evident in "Surprise".

Nathander
12-05-2006, 05:28 PM
I also disagree with the whole "and I honestly don't believe Bloo puts enough thoughts into his actions to be truly capable of performing a seriously malice act". Consier the magnitude of this prank and it's insanely overly elborate nature, that's pretty well thought out if you ask me.

Allow me to clarify my meaning: it's obvious he can put enough thought into a project in how it's to play out; I don't think, however, that he puts any thought into the possible repercussions of what he intends to do. Yes, it was elaborate, but I doubt his actual intention in creating it was to shame Mac. Just my own opinion on the matter.

Bloo also may be a moron but he knows the difference between saying an insult and saying something nice, he's not unaware that words and actions can hurt people. He knew Herriman would get laughed at by posting up that video in WWW and he did it anyway, even after Frankie realized what she'd done.

You're absolutely right. This point I have to concede to.

Bloo's not the brightest blob in the world but he sure as hell knows how to hurt people. Far as karma goes, Bloo usually doesn't get payback unless he does something majorly bad. Half the rest of the time he's free to mock, jab, and verbally belittle Mac 24/7.

And the lack of karma comeback is SEVERELY evident in "Surprise".

Actually, my own personal opinion is that, on a general scale, Bloo tends to get at least some karmic comeback eventually. However, I agree wholeheartedly that there was none in "Surprise", and that was one of the things that bothered me about that episode.

Voxxyn
12-05-2006, 08:01 PM
Since Frankie's birthday was revealed in "Bus the Two of Us" to be July 25, just two days before the premiere airdate of "IOHSFY"(Meaning that I'll assume Mac's birthday is July 27), you know what I personally think would be really sweet?

Frankie taking off the 25th to 27th of next July with Mac, so they can quietly celebrate both of their birthdays, away from the house. No tricks, no underlying cruelty, no Bloo. Just some quiet bonding time between two honest and decent people who really deserve to be given a break. Mac might at first be unwilling to trust even Frankie as she was part of Bloo's birthday scheme, but I think he would come around and understand that Frankie at least is a decent person who genuinely cares about him, and is someone who he can sympathize with in terms of being unfairly slighted by life(regardless of difference in psyche and emotional strength).

...again, that's just an idea, and probably a dumb one at that. I certainly don't see it happening in an actual episode. I just wanted to share a glimmer of optimism to counter the foul taste and bad memories left by Goofball and Bloo's actions.

(And also, to anyone who's wondering, I AM NOT PROMOTING MACxFRANKIE ROMANCE. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH A GROWN-UP ADULT AND A CHILD OF OPPOSING GENDERS BONDING IN A PURE 'BROTHER AND SISTER' WAY.)

Nathander
12-05-2006, 09:02 PM
I agree with you. I've been waiting for an episode waiting for a stronger tie to the sister-brother relationship I think Mac and Frankie have developed throughout the series. I had hoped that "Emancipation Complication" would've given us this, due to the description given by Cartoon Network, but I've honestly come to think that the person who wrote the descriptions for EC and MBION didn't even bother to actually watch the episodes. While I'm uncertain it would play out exactly the way you set up, I think that allowing Mac and Frankie's "little brother-big sister" relationship to be a little more obvious would be a good idea and a step in the right direction.

But back to Goofball.....

Yeah, even though it may have sounded like I was trying to sugarcoat the character, he was a jerk. That, and a poorly written character. Again, my biggest beef with this episode was that it just felt so.....off, and Goofball's behavior, created to make him seem more and more like a teenage boy, actually put me off of the "ironic twist" ending, since they played it up so heavily. Not only did he decide to hide his nose, which would immediately make him recognizable as an IF, but he had to do homework where, as far as I can tell, IFs seem to be discouraged in classrooms for the most part.

Yeah.....just, in my final belief, not a well put together episode, or a well-made character. He was a jerk, and I guess they were trying to associate that making him likeable, since one of Bloo's most enduring attributes is his jerky attitude, but he just wasn't a likeable jerk like Bloo. He was just.....well, a jerk.

Mr. Marshmallow
12-05-2006, 09:56 PM
I agree with you. I've been waiting for an episode waiting for a stronger tie to the sister-brother relationship I think Mac and Frankie have developed throughout the series. but I've honestly come to think that the person who wrote the descriptions for EC and MBION didn't even bother to actually watch the episodes.

I actually disagree on the EC one, that one felt like an honest to truth Foster's episode to me. Didn't feel like someone different wrote it at all and I think what especially made that clear was the level of Bloo's "assy" nature. He acted like Bloo acts.

Not over the top or insanely rude like MBION or IOHSFY, and best of all, Frankie at least was SEEN in this episode, unlike MBIOn where she was gone for whatever magical reason. I also think Frankie and Mac spending together as a birthday thing would be a good idea. Those two NEED a break.

I always loved their relationship as a brother and sister thing and from the moments they have had working together, helping keep track of Bloo and Cheese and etc, I think they could do alot more together if given the chance.

Goofball actually, I was surprised they didn't work Mac into this episode that much, I think he would have seen through Goofball's behavior. But as I recall, he came there late and didn't expierence what Goofball was like for the majority of the episode. Oddly enough, only Bloo spent time with Goofball.

Nathander
12-06-2006, 07:32 AM
I actually disagree on the EC one, that one felt like an honest to truth Foster's episode to me. Didn't feel like someone different wrote it at all and I think what especially made that clear was the level of Bloo's "assy" nature. He acted like Bloo acts.

You misread what I said. My statement was that the description of EC made it seem like Mac and Frankie would be the ones to save the day in that episode, whereas they weren't. That was my problem with EC; I agree that it felt a bit more like an actual episode then MBION, though I only liked it slightly better than that episode.

Goofball actually, I was surprised they didn't work Mac into this episode that much, I think he would have seen through Goofball's behavior. But as I recall, he came there late and didn't expierence what Goofball was like for the majority of the episode. Oddly enough, only Bloo spent time with Goofball.

It actually makes a lot of sense that Bloo would be the predominant one to actually spend time with Goofball. I'm sure that, while it wasn't immediately outspoken in the episode, his behavior probably bothered a lot of the other friends, just like Bloo's behavior can. Not only that, but their sense of humor and the way the act was, basically, in synch with one another. I was merely surprised that Bloo was so comfortable being Goofball's "sidekick", in a way, other than demanding some way to be the main one to scheme.

fosters home fan
12-12-2006, 06:21 PM
I really am not a fan of "goofball" (or the episode he was in). Plus,the way he treated Frankie was just plain cruel.:frankiemad:

The bloo
12-13-2006, 04:56 PM
He was really rude to frankie but a good character i give the episode an A

Cassini90125
12-13-2006, 05:43 PM
I had to do this:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f184/Cassini90125/GBvNG.jpg

;D ;D ;D

fosters home fan
12-13-2006, 06:12 PM
That was hilarious!!!:frankiesmile:

kageri
12-13-2006, 08:01 PM
A winner is you!

One Radical Dude
12-13-2006, 09:08 PM
8D

You're bad, Cassini! ;)

taranchula
12-13-2006, 09:24 PM
Heh heh, it's the biggest mis-match in animation history since Bambi took on Godzilla. 8D

BabyElephant
12-13-2006, 10:27 PM
Gee, thanks a lot, Cassini! Do you know how hard it is to clean a keyboard after you snort milk all over it? ;D Brilliant!

montitech
12-14-2006, 06:20 AM
I like goofball, but besides that, the picture was great thanks Cassini,

On a side note I think the poll shows that this episode had mixed views. it is evenly distributed beteween haters, lovers and indifferents. with a nice hump for the indiferent.

THus to all the goofball fans, Your not alone. However, the Frankie fans are Louder.

PS, I hate goofballs nose, and I hope they do not use him again, becasue he only had the clown nose on becasue he got it at the circus when he got lost to begin with. On the other hand, if the Clown nose became a permenant part of goofball I would not mind seeing he in the backround in a future episode, but I do not think he needs to take a large roll in any future episode.

Howard
12-14-2006, 01:58 PM
Good job Cass! That is on LESS irritating IF!:frankiesmile:

Partymember
12-15-2006, 06:43 PM
i felt like watching "Canadian Bacon" after that meany Canuck messed with Frankie.

I'd take Frankie to a concert if she wanted. Build a time machine and take her to see the Ramones. She'd dig that.

CG
12-18-2006, 03:45 PM
I find it hilarious, that a character that is so disliked by so many people has the most posts in the supporting character forum then any other.

Cassini90125
12-18-2006, 03:55 PM
Hate can be a powerful motivator.

CG
12-18-2006, 04:13 PM
Oh yes, as I know.

montitech
12-18-2006, 07:12 PM
I find it hilarious, that a character that is so disliked by so many people has the most posts in the supporting character forum then any other.

I think most the posts are more about "I Love Frankie" rather than about goofball, but I did not count them so I could be wrong.

Back on topic,

:cheesegrin: (Sorry Franky Franky fans.) :cheese:
I like goofball. I think he is fun. And so did most of the frinds at fosters. The only one who did not like goofball was Frankie. (although she did have just cause for her dislike)

I think there should be a new thread started for Goofball Likers, and all Frankie Fans should be banned from posting to it.
Naturaly they can read it, but why would they want to? :D

Cassini90125
12-18-2006, 07:18 PM
I think there should be a new thread started for Goofball Likers, and all Frankie Fans should be banned from posting to it.

So we'll know who likes Goofball... (Evil smile of malicious intent goes here) ;)

Howard
12-19-2006, 07:59 AM
So we'll know who likes Goofball... (Evil smile of malicious intent goes here) ;)

Gotta have your devil's advocate to keep things in balance!8D :frankiesmile:

fosters home fan
12-19-2006, 09:13 AM
[QUOTE=

Monty :-/[/QUOTE]

Yeah,right and all Goofball lovers should be banned from the Frankie thread.::)

montitech
12-19-2006, 09:43 AM
Yeah,right and all Goofball lovers should be banned from the Frankie thread.::)

I would agree If and only if all the goofball lovers were saying only negitive things about frankie, and using terms like Hate and evil frequently. AND they were dominating the thread with only negitive views. (I find Never Forgoton a Fun site to visit and I try to to be Negitive. I do not alwasy suceed. )

Voxxyn
12-19-2006, 11:39 AM
I would agree If and only if all the goofball lovers were saying only negitive things about frankie, and using terms like Hate and evil frequently. AND they were dominating the thread with only negitive views.

I don't see why Goofball's fanbase would have to bash Frankie, since their hero already did that for them. If Frankie ever did anything in the show on the same level of lowness and cruelty as Goofball, maybe you'd have a point, but since Frankie is sympathetic and Goofball isn't, it doesn't make any sense.

Cassini90125
12-19-2006, 12:40 PM
I don't see why Goofball's fanbase would have to bash Frankie, since their hero already did that for them. If Frankie ever did anything in the show on the same level of lowness and cruelty as Goofball, maybe you'd have a point, but since Frankie is sympathetic and Goofball isn't, it doesn't make any sense.

What really doesn't make any sense is why this one-shot loser has his own thread at all. He isn't worth it.

fosters home fan
12-19-2006, 01:35 PM
What really doesn't make any sense is why this one-shot loser has his own thread at all. He isn't worth it.

I agree!:frankiemad: Maybe you should close/delete it?:frankiesmile:

Mr. Marshmallow
12-19-2006, 01:59 PM
Because, we need some place on this board that allows us to verbally butcher and crucify Goofball, save short of throwing darts at a picture of him on a bullseye board.

What better place to talk bout him (be it negatively or positively) then his own thread?

Sparky
12-19-2006, 02:04 PM
I agree!:frankiemad: Maybe you should close/delete it?:frankiesmile:

I HOPE you are bing sarcastic. -_- If Cassini did that, just because he's both a mod and hates Goofball, I would be really angry with him. That's not the way a good mod operates. That's why I doubt he'd do that.

Cassini90125
12-19-2006, 02:11 PM
I'm not that stupid. ;)

Invader Bloo
12-19-2006, 03:14 PM
YES MONTITECH WE FRANKIE FANS ARE REALLY, REALLY LOUD! ;)

That pic was REALLY funny Cass. All hail The New Guy. *bows*

fosters home fan
12-19-2006, 03:42 PM
I HOPE you are bing sarcastic. -_- If Cassini did that, just because he's both a mod and hates Goofball, I would be really angry with him. That's not the way a good mod operates. That's why I doubt he'd do that.

Yeah I was trying to be sarcastic:P Didn't work well I guess,Whoops:-/
Cassini (and every other mod,admin etc ) does a great job at moderating the forums. I hope I didn't offend anyone.

Cassini90125
12-19-2006, 03:46 PM
Nah, no offence taken, don't worry about it. :)

montitech
12-19-2006, 04:05 PM
Ok, Here are two Questions to all Goofball haters,

If Goofball was so Bad, wHy did all the IF at fosters like Goofball?

How would things have been different if Frankie believed Goofball was an IF from the begining?

Partymember
12-19-2006, 04:14 PM
1) i dunno

2) Because he would have been taking advantage of her moreso than Bloo does, its her job to clean up after IF's, not humans with a clown nose.

Voxxyn
12-19-2006, 05:08 PM
If Goofball was so Bad, wHy did all the IF at fosters like Goofball?

The fact that the other IFs raised no objections to Goofball's actions makes things worse, not better.

How would things have been different if Frankie believed Goofball was an IF from the begining?

Goofball would've still been a reckless jerk, and Frankie would've still been horribly mistreated.

fosters-fan
12-20-2006, 07:04 AM

Are you kidding?! Come to think of it, I totally hate Goofball! He was nothing but a total jerk! He should die and go to H-E-double hockey sticks!

It's his fault that Frankie didn't go to the concert! Besides, remember when he smirked at Frankie after Mr. Herriman said she couldn't go to the concert? I bet he just wanted Frankie to go to the extremes just so she could miss her concert! >:(

*Bleep* Goofball! *Bleep* Goofball to *bleep*!

(long pause with others staring at me in shock. I then chuckle nervously with a nervous toothy grin.) He he. Sorry.

Howard
12-20-2006, 07:38 AM
Are you kidding?! Come to think of it, I totally hate Goofball! He was nothing but a total jerk! He should die and go to H-E-double hockey sticks!

It's his fault that Frankie didn't go to the concert! Besides, remember when he smirked at Frankie after Mr. Herriman said she couldn't go to the concert? I bet he just wanted Frankie to go to the extremes just so she could miss her concert! >:(

*Bleep* Goofball! *Bleep* Goofball to *bleep*!

(long pause with others staring at me in shock. I then chuckle nervously with a nervous toothy grin.) He he. Sorry.

Yes, Goofball was definitely the north end of a southbound donkey!8D :frankiesmile:

Partymember
12-20-2006, 12:19 PM
i'm starting a fund to help me build my time machine so i can bring Frankie back to see a Ramones concert.

come to think of it, i'll need a machine to bring me into the cartoon world as well...

Nathander
12-20-2006, 05:43 PM

Frankie missing the concert is due both to Goofball and to Frankie; Goofball because of his actions, Frankie because of her responsibility she took up on her self when she agreed to take the job of keeping up the house. While we can feel sympathetic for Frankie, she was basically bound to clean the messes up due to the fact that that's her job. She didn't deserve what happened to her, but that's life.

Also, I doubt Goofball had the foresight or intelligence to plan out Frankie missing the concert, especially since there's no evidence (that I can recall) of him having ever had the chance to know Frankie was going to a concert before the part where Herriman told her she couldn't go. I think his smirk was more just him being a smug jerk and thinking the current situation was funny.

Voxxyn
12-20-2006, 06:38 PM
Frankie already works very hard to keep the house in order and almost never gets appreciated. She worked EXTRA HARD just to make sure that the house wouldn't collapse from Goofball's carelessness... only to miss the concert so that she could do even more work.

There are tough days and there are bad days. And then there's the viciously rotten and callous experience that the day with Goofball was. IMO, absolutely no one outside of murderers deserve to go through that kind of experience. To see someone like Frankie go through that was just upsetting to no end.

It's not fair or acceptable at all. It shouldn't be. Goofball should NOT be let off the hook just because he was a legitimate IF.

It's good that you don't let the episode upset you as much as it does others. But I hope you realize that you will NEVER be able to change my mind on this.

Nathander
12-20-2006, 06:43 PM
I'm not attempting to change you, or anyone elses, minds Voxxyn. All I'm trying to do is get my voice and opinion out on this topic.

And I have repeatedly stated that I didn't find what happened to Frankie to be acceptable or deserved. I think it sucks what she had to go through, but at the same time, that's life. We've all had days like Frankie has in this instance, which is the one thing I really find admirable about the episode; it's at least a fair reindition of several days I've had before. Perhaps not to the exact scale of Frankie's, but similiar.

Merely out of curiousity, though, what exactly do you think Goofball's punishment should have been?

Cassini90125
12-20-2006, 07:03 PM
At the very least, he should have been made to clean the entire house, top to bottom, and been made to do it repeatedly until he got it right.