PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Enjoy Jefferson Airplane?

Partymember
11-30-2006, 12:00 PM
Ya know, the band that does "Somebody to Love" and "White Rabbit" as well as about a gazillion other awesome tunes.

Nathander
12-01-2006, 06:01 AM
"White Rabbit" and "(Don't You) Want Somebody to Love" are two of my favorite songs ever. However, I've never really been able to get into Jefferson Airplane beyond that, especially when they became Jefferson Starship and wrote "We Built This City".

Seriously, though, "White Rabbit" has to be one of my favorite songs.

Howard
12-01-2006, 07:20 AM
Ya know, the band that does "Somebody to Love" and "White Rabbit" as well as about a gazillion other awesome tunes.

When they were just "Airplane." I have the Monterey and Gimme Shelter (Stones) DVD's. There are some awesome performances by them - except where Marty Balin got hit in the mouth by one of the Hells Angels! You gotta check Grace Slick's daughter - she is HAWT!:frankiesmile:

Cassini90125
12-01-2006, 08:29 AM
I never got into most of the stuff they did as Airplane, with the obvious two exceptions. Some of their later work as Jefferson Starship was very good, "Find Yor Way Back" being one of my favorites.

leadballoon
12-01-2006, 07:40 PM
I only have a few of their songs (the two you mentioned being my favorites!) but I'd really like to get to know them better

Partymember
12-01-2006, 09:55 PM
L/B: If you want to get into them, buy or borrow their After BAthing At BAxter's CD, a good cross-section of very classic, ver powerful Airplane. After that, get the Crown of Creation album, a bit more moody and dark, more slow songs, like a bad opium dream, in a good way. Seriously, check out Baxters on Amazon.

Unfortunatley, it seems as though Zeppelin, Floyd, and G. Dead overshadow Airplane nowadays, but back then the Jeffersons were THE voice of revolutionary hippydom. Extremely good band, Marty and Grace are the greatest two-person vocal crew EVER, and the whole presentation is spot on.

yeah. China Kanter was a VJay on MTV. Ah well, the band Starship sold out big time near the end. Gracey turned to hard use of alcohol. Poor girl.

Partymember
12-01-2006, 10:01 PM
yeah. China Kanter was a VJay on MTV. Ah well, the band Starship sold out big time near the end. Gracey turned to hard use of alcohol. Poor girl.

Doesn't China look like her mother?

hmmm... won't let me copy/paste a pic...

Partymember
12-01-2006, 10:02 PM
now that's weird, how did that post get tacked on to the end of the last one AND end up as its own post?

Cassini90125
12-01-2006, 10:04 PM
Watch the back-to-back posting, hm? Use the Edit button if you need to add something.

taranchula
12-02-2006, 03:53 AM
This thread reminds me of a classic Simpsons quote....

Homer: Grand Funk Railroad paved the way for Jefferson airplane, which cleared
the way for Jefferson starship. The stage was now set for the Alan
Parsons project, which I believe was some sort of hovercraft.

Howard
12-02-2006, 07:59 AM
I only have a few of their songs (the two you mentioned being my favorites!) but I'd really like to get to know them better

Frank Zappa! Right on! What talent, and what a loss to all that is music! (RIP):(

leadballoon
12-02-2006, 08:15 AM
Haha yeah, Zappa was a bit of a legend all right! Thanks for the info guys, I'll check out those albums next time I get a chance - listening to Come On And Take A Free Ride now! :D