PDA

View Full Version : Recipe: Chicken and Pumpkin Curry

Sparky
11-28-2006, 08:43 PM
I just invented this tonight and I think its awesome. I was trying to emulate something I had at a Thai place in San Francisco a couple of weeks ago, and I basically did so. For the adventurous eater. A lot of people have never had pumpkin in a savory dish, and have no idea how good it can be. Feel free to add stuff like vegetables, but the original only had the chicken and pumpkin in it so I didn't want to overpower that with other stuff. You ought to be able to find the Thai stuff at a large grocery store (all of mine is by the A Taste of Thai company; the curry usually comes in an envelope). So here's what I made:

Ingredients:
2 cans coconut milk
1-2 T red curry paste
basil, either 1/4 cup fresh if you can get it or just use about 1 T dried
1/4 cup bamboo shoots (optional, I didn't use it but its on the recipe for red curry on the red curry jar)
3-6 T fish sauce
about 4 T brown sugar
2/3 cup chicken stock
2 or 3 chicken breasts, cubed small
a small cooking pumpkin, cubed small

First cube the pumpkin. Cut it in half and scrape out the seeds and pulp; cut it into strips and pare the skin off the strips with a vegetable peeler. Then cube the pumpkin fairly small. Boil cubes in water as if making mashed potates; remove from heat when you can pierce cubes with a fork, and pour into a colander.

Bring coconut milk to a simmer in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and whisk in the red curry paste. Use less paste if you don't want it spicy. I used 3 T and its nicely hot. You can use less and just put chili oil on the table for those who like it milder. But don't skimp TOO much or it won't be red curry! Simmer for about 5 minutes then add basil and bamboo shoots, and as much fish sauce as you want. Some people don't like too much fish sauce but I don't believe in moderation when it comes to exotic spices. Add the brown sugar (you can add more later if its too sharp), chicken stock, and raw chicken. Simmer a few minutes to get the chicken cooking before adding the pumpkin. Simmer all together for at *least* 10 minutes, and adjust seasonings. I like the pumpkin really soft so I let it go more like 15.

Serve with sticky rice (I like to actually spoon the rice right into the bowl when I have curry). Serves like, 6 or so, but I have to eat it all myself because my brother isn't an adventurous eater. :P Weenie.

BlooCheese
11-28-2006, 08:51 PM
Mmmm...curry...deliciouso...

Sparky, you should create a cookbook that contains all of your recipes.

Sparky
11-28-2006, 09:26 PM
Oh, trying to trick me into revealing my cheesecake recipe eh? Very clever but it won't work, lol. 8D

BlooCheese
11-28-2006, 09:40 PM
*gasp* You have a cheesecake recipe? I must come up with a better plan...

Thornwhistle
11-28-2006, 09:46 PM
I can't eat really spicy foods so I'll never know Sparky's joy of Thai food.

Carlaz
11-29-2006, 06:28 AM
Looks delish! I *adore* Thai & any type of curry food. :D

Sparky
11-08-2007, 08:46 PM
This recipe and more can now be found on my new pumpkin web site (http://www.theneitherworld.com/pumpkin/index.htm). It's still under construction but at least its up in time for Thanksgiving... :terrsmile: