PDA

View Full Version : Douglas and Adam

CG
11-24-2006, 02:24 PM
Yes, technically they aren't Coco's creators or even partially close to it. But I admit, even if some have voiced some dislike to the duo I actually liked them. Foster's never really had 'nerdish' characters before, and the two I think were a nice addition to the story.

The blatant reference to Douglas Adams is aparant in not only their names, but Adam's shirt with 42 emblazed upon it. Got to love nods in a great cartoon to great writer.

Sparky
11-24-2006, 03:26 PM
I liked them too! Douglas was more of your "classic" nerd, like Bernard in the old Maniac Mansion game. Adam, yes, might remind you of "Comic Book Guy" from the Simpsons; although that "genre" of personality/physical type is often given a harsher name by women such as myself who constantly get stalked by them when we dare visit a comic book or video game shop. 8D Hopefully Adam bathes more regularly than those guys do. (Also if Adam likes Frankie I probably wouldn't be his type anyhow. Unless his type is "female" which is entirely possible.)

Invader Bloo
11-24-2006, 04:23 PM
"Your'e looking up how to get chicks"
LOL, Adam would be doing that to impress Frankie. I agree with Sparky Douglas does seem more classic sciency nerd.

InsaneFan
11-24-2006, 04:28 PM
Haha, when I first saw these guys, my first reaction was "OMG, IT'S COMIC BOOK GUY AND MANDARK!" xD Muaha, they're great.

Voxxyn
11-24-2006, 05:45 PM
I really hope that the crew didn't make Douglas and Adam as a meanspirited parody of Frankie's ardent male supporters on this site. I, as a Frankie fan and someone who could be classified as a "geek"/"nerd", couldn't be ANY MORE DIFFERENT than them in terms of personality.

Invader Bloo
11-24-2006, 05:59 PM
They'd never make fun of the fans, parody yes but make fun of no.

Cassini90125
11-24-2006, 06:16 PM
The thought that D&A might be parodies of us simply never occurred to me. I seriously doubt that's the case, but if it is, well, it's something to smile about. Recognition! :bloocross:

As for Frankie belting them, it's not going to happen. She's not that sort of person, not the sort that resorts to violence whenever confronted with a pest, and I admire her for that. :frankiesmile:

Voxxyn
11-24-2006, 08:29 PM
Okay, after rewatching GWH, I admit I overreacted a little.

I still think they're annoying, but they had some funny moments and were OK in general. I laughed when Frankie uninterestedly shoved them off-screen at the very end.

koosie
11-25-2006, 06:46 AM
Yeh totally Mandark! Wasn't the other fella ginger? Maybe Dex totally let himself go instead of turning into the beefy bald guy of Ego Trip.

Haha! What am I talking about! I'm totally a nerd, I'm writing about cartoon characters on the internet! Of course 'nerd' is just one of my hats, I have many, some you wouldn't believe, but as long as I'm wearing my nerd hat I totally expect to be trashed! It's the way it has be! Creative people have to bite the hand that feeds them so everyone knows we belong to them not them to us. LOL

Na these were great characters. I think when they understand Coco they'll understand how the universe itself works.

Thornwhistle
11-25-2006, 08:45 AM
I have noticed something about these two. They look to be about in their 30s to 40s,but in the flashback,they were teenagers. Coco known these jokers for a long time.

"C" the Dragon
11-25-2006, 02:37 PM
I have noticed something about these two. They look to be about in their 30s to 40s,but in the flashback,they were teenagers. Coco known these jokers for a long time.

I noticed. Douglas is hard to tell, sice he's being stinged by insects, but I can tell that Adam looks younger at the flashback, because of his beard. Am I the only one who notices the difference of Adam's past and moderen self because of his beard?!:wiltshock:

CG
11-25-2006, 03:02 PM
No C, you're not. I noticed it first time I watched the clip thanks to Cassini, his beard was intentionally smaller to show the passage of time between finding Coco on the island, and visiting her at the Creator Reunion Picnic. Which is ironic since the two aren't her creators in the first place.

Plus if they wanted to study her why would they drop her off at Foster's? To see how she interacts with other imaginaries? To get closer to Frankie when the time comes? Maybe to have an imaginary friend you actually HAVE to have a child or something... I dunno. Weird.

But I still luv Adam to bits.

"C" the Dragon
11-25-2006, 04:17 PM
Plus if they wanted to study her why would they drop her off at Foster's? To see how she interacts with other imaginaries? To get closer to Frankie when the time comes? Maybe to have an imaginary friend you actually HAVE to have a child or something... I dunno. Weird.

Maybe it's a way to see Frankie again.;)

Cassini90125
11-25-2006, 04:20 PM
Maybe it's a way to see Frankie again.;)

But why would they drop her off there the first time? They presumably hadn't met Frankie before that, and if they had she'd have been much younger.

donna323
11-25-2006, 05:31 PM
I think Douglas and Adam really ARE Coco's creators (one of them, anyhow) ... however, I think they are hopelessly nerdy guys who would rather tell a story about themselves than admit they made her up. Or maybe one of them has a little brother that made her up, and they don't have the nerve to say they adopted her from a kid bro.

So, I think they did create Coco, and borrow her, and just told a white lie to make themselves look like explorers.

Thornwhistle
11-25-2006, 05:36 PM
"You sound just like my mother." That quote is/was very funny.

CG
11-25-2006, 06:29 PM
I think Douglas and Adam really ARE Coco's creators (one of them, anyhow) ... however, I think they are hopelessly nerdy guys who would rather tell a story about themselves than admit they made her up. Or maybe one of them has a little brother that made her up, and they don't have the nerve to say they adopted her from a kid bro.

So, I think they did create Coco, and borrow her, and just told a white lie to make themselves look like explorers.

Sadly your theory already has some holes poked through it. Laruen and Craig have let it be known somewhere on this vast world wide net that Coco was created by a little girl who survived an airplane crash by riding a red life raft to the island. Coco's beak is based on that raft, her head is the palm trees, her body is the plane, and her legs are the sunburnt legs of her creator.

But maybe all that is lies? Who knows. Hopefully we will find out Coco's real past in another episode later on. With Douglas 'n Adam joining in too of course.

taranchula
11-25-2006, 08:28 PM
No C, you're not. I noticed it first time I watched the clip thanks to Cassini, his beard was intentionally smaller to show the passage of time between finding Coco on the island, and visiting her at the Creator Reunion Picnic. Which is ironic since the two aren't her creators in the first place.

My guess is that their research funding may have gotten cut, and therefore they could no longer afford to keep Coco in the lab on a full time biases, thus they sent her to live at Foster's so as not throw her back in the wild.

Just a wild theory.

Cassini90125
11-25-2006, 09:10 PM
My guess is that their research funding may have gotten cut, and therefore they could no longer afford to keep Coco in the lab on a full time biases, thus they sent her to live at Foster's so as not throw her back in the wild.

Just a wild theory.

That makes a lot of sense. Good thinking! :)

Tonya
11-25-2006, 09:53 PM
Yeah, them two are funny! Who else thinks they'll see more Douglas and Adam in the future? In a small way, I kinda do, or atleast hope too.

basilsunshine
11-27-2006, 04:05 PM
I'd say that the large one was based on the "Comic Book Guy" on the Simpsons, and the skinnny one was definately based on Mandark from Dexter's Laboratory. (Classic CN!) I frickin love those shows. And thier view of Frankie:frankiesmile: was hilarious.

Ub3rD4n
04-28-2007, 09:29 PM
Yeah, they're fairly sympathetic characters for me, since (shock, horror) I am also a nerd. They'd have to do something real spectacular to get Frankie's attention, though.

I too think they would be good characters to have reoccur.

Cell_Phone_guy
08-16-2007, 07:36 PM
I wonder if they ever had the idea to try to get Frankie's attention by offering to pay off many of the tickets Frankie acquired in GWH?

Partymember
08-18-2007, 08:37 PM
LOL losers :P

you wanna impress a girl get in shape. If you can't respect yer own body its doubtful if you can respect her.

Sparky
08-18-2007, 10:53 PM
you wanna impress a girl get in shape. If you can't respect yer own body its doubtful if you can respect her.

Well, says you. I like an unfit body just fine, its grooming (or the lack thereof) that I notice.

KazooBloo
12-02-2016, 09:56 PM
I still wonder who Coco's creator is.