PDA

View Full Version : We Had SNOW...in NOVEMBER!

pitbulllady
11-21-2006, 03:05 PM
Did I mention that I live in South Carolina? This is NOT supposed to happen! This is so not normal for us! It didn't stick, since the ground is still too warm, but it really came down like a blizzard around 9:30 this morning, for like 15 minutes, before turning over to hard sleet(which coated my windshield, making the trip from my first school to the second one quite, uhm, interesting), then a drenching cold rain. I mean I'm not too far from the big Five Uh-Oh, and I have NEVER seen so much as a single snowflake this early in the year; it's not even officially WINTER yet! We normally don't even get a slight threat of frozen precipitation until January, and most winters come and go with no snow at all(like last year). The "experts" in weather prediction(same guys who said this year's hurricane season would be even worse than the 2005 hurricane season, the one that brought Katrina)have been saying it's going to be a mild winter for those of us in the South, but the animals have been "saying" otherwise. I've never seen such thick fur coats on the critters, and my snakes went into hibernation in early October, even though they're in the house!

pitbulllady

Howard
11-21-2006, 03:19 PM
Did I mention that I live in South Carolina? This is NOT supposed to happen! This is so not normal for us! It didn't stick, since the ground is still too warm, but it really came down like a blizzard around 9:30 this morning, for like 15 minutes, before turning over to hard sleet(which coated my windshield, making the trip from my first school to the second one quite, uhm, interesting), then a drenching cold rain. I mean I'm not too far from the big Five Uh-Oh, and I have NEVER seen so much as a single snowflake this early in the year; it's not even officially WINTER yet! We normally don't even get a slight threat of frozen precipitation until January, and most winters come and go with no snow at all(like last year). The "experts" in weather prediction(same guys who said this year's hurricane season would be even worse than the 2005 hurricane season, the one that brought Katrina)have been saying it's going to be a mild winter for those of us in the South, but the animals have been "saying" otherwise. I've never seen such thick fur coats on the critters, and my snakes went into hibernation in early October, even though they're in the house!

pitbulllady

I was stationed in Charleston, SC (1985-1987), and I did see snow back then - but it did not stick, it flurried.:frankiesmile:

Carlaz
11-21-2006, 07:06 PM
:o Wow! That must have been a shock pitbulllady! What's the weather like now?

pitbulllady
11-22-2006, 09:37 AM
:o Wow! That must have been a shock pitbulllady! What's the weather like now?

It's cold, but above freezing-in the mid-forties, and it's drizzling rain, with wind gusts of around 35 miles-per-hour. Same as yesterday, just about 10 degrees warmer(IF you can consider 46 degrees F. to be "warm"). We've been having bouts of torrential downpours; some estimates have had us receiving nearly 8 inches of rain within the past 24 hours, and we have actually exceded the average total rainfall amounts per year for the months of October, November and December combined, within a 30-hour period! A powerful low-pressure system formed off in the Gulf of Mexico and trekked northward, then moved off our Atlantic coast-basically if this thing had formed before November 1, it would have been given a name and been classified as a tropical storm. Later in the season, with the cold air more in place, it would have brought a ton of snow with it, since this is the usual, albeit rare, scenario which is required for South Carolina to get a measurable snowfall. Bottom line-it's very nasty and unpleasant outside, but it's supposed to clear up by tomorrow, which is good news, since the clouds are so thick and so high that they are actually messing with my satellite signal, and I CANNOT have THAT happening during GWH!

pitbulllady

One Radical Dude
11-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Apparently, there were snow flurries as far south as Central Florida. Of course, it was just flurries, and nothing sticked, but still. No flakes yet this cold season here, but it's supposed to be a wet one this upcoming winter. I'm glad to hear that things are supposed to be improving on Thanksgiving.

scary_dream
11-22-2006, 11:53 PM
We had November snow in southern Oklahoma once... it was very different!

Invader Bloo
11-24-2006, 05:17 PM
Another great thing about living in Fl for 99.7% of my life, I've never experienced snow. Except the first couple months of my life before we moved here in Fl.
Now on topic, SC? Wow, & it's supposed to be global Warming. :P
It's getting really chilly here (Northern Fl) in the late/mid 40's at night. Burrrr.... I love cold weather though, I have my window open.:bloogrin

LaBlooGirl
11-24-2006, 06:33 PM
It rained the entire day here in NJ/NY. Thanksgiving was a wash-out, so to speak. ANd of COURSE it was NICE today, and WARMER. And it's supposed to be nice the whole weekend! Stupid rain and its stupid timing...oh well, at least the food was delicious. ;)

Cassini90125
11-24-2006, 06:45 PM
It rained the entire day here in NJ/NY. Thanksgiving was a wash-out, so to speak. ANd of COURSE it was NICE today, and WARMER. And it's supposed to be nice the whole weekend! Stupid rain and its stupid timing...oh well, at least the food was delicious. ;)

We had the same storm up here in CT. Cold and wet all day, but it was a good excuse to stay in and watch the marathon on CN. :)

Partymember
11-30-2006, 12:50 PM
WHAT? Upstate NY is still SNOW FREE! It was 55 today!!!

some guy you dont know
11-30-2006, 01:46 PM
it snowed in SC? weird. oh well, forcasts say were supposed to have snow today or tommorow anyway..

pitbulllady
11-30-2006, 01:55 PM
it snowed in SC? weird. oh well, forcasts say were supposed to have snow today or tommorow anyway..

Yeah, it snowed and sleeted on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, but guess what? Yesterday and today, the temperature was near 80! Our weather is like a roller coaster this time of year, which can be really a pain.

pitbulllady

some guy you dont know
11-30-2006, 02:35 PM
Yeah, it snowed and sleeted on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, but guess what? Yesterday and today, the temperature was near 80! Our weather is like a roller coaster this time of year, which can be really a pain.

pitbulllady

wethar, so confusing. never understandable.

One Radical Dude
11-30-2006, 09:52 PM
We saw a bit of mixed precipitation earlier, though it didn't last long enough. Wednesday, it was in the 70s, now is around 28. 8D No big warm ups here, though, just below normal temperatures.

kageri
11-30-2006, 11:21 PM
It's not raining here, but it's freezing as heck. This is Arizona! It's supposed to be hot, not the-frostbite-was-so-severe-that-salvaging-the-fingers-was-impossible cold!

HappyFoppy
12-01-2006, 05:07 AM
Belgium just experienced the warm November ever. Lol, yesterday was warm, today is 1 Dec and it's like, what, 2 °C. 2:5=0,4, 0,4*9=3,6, 3,6+32=35,6, so it's 35,6 °F if I'm not mistaken. Yesterday was way hotter. Weather is wierd.

Nathander
12-01-2006, 06:07 AM
Hey, we actually got "snow" yesterday in Texas. I put "snow" in quotation marks because it was more like a fairly deep frost, but hey, when you live in Texas, you gotta take what you're given. 8D

Eh, I wish we'd get real snow more often, but down here we don't get a glimpse of it until early January, if even then.

Medikor
12-01-2006, 10:06 AM
It's the complet opposite in the Maritimes. We usually get snow as early as September and October, but we havent even seen a flake yet and is December!

scary_dream
12-01-2006, 11:09 PM
Whoa I just experienced a few days ago the same thing as ORD (since we both live in the central southern area of the US). I went out at 11:00 the morning of the 29th, it was 80 degrees, and I had the air conditioner in my car on. By that night, it was POURING rain, and by the morning of the next day, the roads were really icy and some schools were even closing. Weird!

The bloo
12-02-2006, 09:05 AM
Cool

antgirl1
12-02-2006, 01:14 PM
Sometimes I, who lives in the north, don't get much snow. =P