PDA

View Full Version : Do imaginary friends age?

Ricky Fieldmouse
11-19-2006, 12:03 PM
I'm sure we all notice a change in Bloo's voice during season 2. Which came the question: Do IF's age? All the resources of IF's aging is that one flashback in The Trouble with Scribbles and the photo album in The Big Picture, but it didn't look like If's were aging.

kageri
11-19-2006, 12:08 PM
I don't think they do, personally, or at least not that we can see. Bloo's change in voice is.... something probably involving Craig and Co. wanting it to be higher.

Cassini90125
11-19-2006, 12:58 PM
It may depend on the IF; perhaps some show signs of aging while others don't. I cannot, however, picture Mr. Herriman as a cute little baby bunny. :herriman:

CG
11-19-2006, 01:51 PM
Phsyically, no, imaginaries don't age. This is evident from Mr. Herriman explaining to Mac and Bloo about the photos, given they don't change their appearance it's a waste of time to take a photo every year.

But aging as in, still celebrating a 'creation' day happens given the whole Arty incident. Even if it was a hoax, I like to believe the imaginaries to at least celebrate the day they were created. So they'd be a certain number or ages, even if there has been no physical change from when they celebrated their 1st birthday to say.. their 75th birthday.

But aging mentally? That's another issue all together. They obviously learn things as they go through the years. What's right, what's wrong, world around them etc. etc.

pitbulllady
11-19-2006, 02:33 PM
Phsyically, no, imaginaries don't age. This is evident from Mr. Herriman explaining to Mac and Bloo about the photos, given they don't change their appearance it's a waste of time to take a photo every year.

But aging as in, still celebrating a 'creation' day happens given the whole Arty incident. Even if it was a hoax, I like to believe the imaginaries to at least celebrate the day they were created. So they'd be a certain number or ages, even if there has been no physical change from when they celebrated their 1st birthday to say.. their 75th birthday.

But aging mentally? That's another issue all together. They obviously learn things as they go through the years. What's right, what's wrong, world around them etc. etc.

I think that their behavior does indeed change, depending on their environments, their experiences, and of course, their mental capacity to begin with. They might very well age internally, though. Many animals do not exhibit any outward signs of aging, but inside, their parts just eventually "wear out", for lack of a better term. There just comes a time when their bodies' capacity to repair themselves internally is no longer able to keep up with the stresses of life. I think, too, in the case of sentient beings like Imaginary Friends, aging can be very much a state of mind, just as it often is with humans. You've probably heard the old saying, "You're as young as you feel", which can be quite true. My mother died at the age of just 46, from complications of emphasema, but due to her long-term depression, she was an old woman by that time, tired of living. In contrast, my great aunt, who lives across the road from me, is 87, and she's more active than I am, and most of the time, FEELS better than I do! It has a lot to do with attitude and spirit, as much as with time.

pitbulllady

Tonya
11-19-2006, 04:59 PM
Yeah, I too agree with pbl.
And in my opinion, who knows, mabe it also can depend on if the child imagined the friend to be "physically age-able"? I dunno, I'd kinda want my imaginary friend to grow old with me. But that's me. Speaking of the subject, even if some imaginaries don't appear to physically age, I wonder if they can still go through puberty? You don't have to change on the outside to change on the inside you know.

Cassini90125
11-19-2006, 05:30 PM
Yeah, I too agree with pbl.
And in my opinion, who knows, mabe it also can depend on if the child imagined the friend to be "physically age-able"? I dunno, I'd kinda want my imaginary friend to grow old with me. But that's me. Speaking of the subject, even if some imaginaries don't appear to physically age, I wonder if they can still go through puberty? You don't have to change on the outside to change on the inside you know.

Like aging, it likely varies from IF to IF, and let's be careful with this, okay?

Tonya
11-19-2006, 05:37 PM
Oh okay, I just always wondered.

Thornwhistle
11-20-2006, 06:05 PM
That makes me wonder. When Mr. Herriman was imagined by Madame Foster as a young girl,was he already an old rabbit?

Cassini90125
11-20-2006, 06:23 PM
I think so; my theory is that he was created as a substitute for her own father, who was absent for one reason or another.

Thornwhistle
11-20-2006, 06:29 PM
Your theory just brings up unanswered questions.

CG
11-20-2006, 06:29 PM
Then it brings up this quandry; pbl mentioned how they could age by their insides just getting older. If Herriman was created old, then wouldn't his parts be SUPER old by now? And if so why don't we hear him complaining about a trick back, or something along those lines? Yet still the elderly rabbit can hop pretty darn fast (Land of the Flea) and survive a near fatal tumble down a whole flight of stairs (Crime after Crime, Bus the Two of Us) and even a nasty body cast (Bloo's the Boss). I know I'd be kicking up a stink if I were that age doing what he does half the time.

Cassini90125
11-20-2006, 06:40 PM
His appearance was old; his parts, however, were new. One could build a car from parts available today in the form of a 1908 Pierce-Arrow; it looks ancient, but in reality it's brand new.

CG
11-20-2006, 06:53 PM
Imaginaries ain't cars! :P

lol this is getting silly now.

kageri
11-20-2006, 07:29 PM
His appearance was old; his parts, however, were new. One could build a car from parts available today in the form of a 1908 Pierce-Arrow; it looks ancient, but in reality it's brand new.

But by now they would be old, too. I mean, Madame Foster's like eighty years old.

montitech
11-20-2006, 07:50 PM
In the movie "Drop Dead Fred", Drop Dead Fred was the IF of the Lead character, both at her childhood and then 20 years later when he came back. He was virtually unchanged. he did not age in the same way that people age. (I do not think this was mentioned yet but I could be wrong)

IN my opinion, I think Imaginary Friends age Like Cartoons.

Cartoons do not age, some examples:
Tom and Jerry, Scooby Doo, Muppets, Buggs and Daffy, ect...
all these characters have been around for over 30 years and each of them have had new shows/movies in the past few years. The main characters never changed.

Basically they do not age, but they do develop over time. a good example of developing over time, is the Simpsons. Look at some of there Original 5min skits and they were extreamly different. thus over time, a cartoon character ages by becoming better developed. so IF develop over time, by experiencing new things, but not by getting elderly, ackes or pains.

I wish I could spell. :(
Monty :-/

Cassini90125
11-20-2006, 07:56 PM
Some of the Scooby-Doo movies did feature somewhat older versions of the characters. Daphne looked phenomenal. :)

LaBlooGirl
11-21-2006, 11:39 AM
Imaginaries ain't cars! :P

lol this is getting silly now.

Oh yeah? I'm pretty sure there would be some Imaginary cars out there in the Foster's universe! Huh, what an insult to them!
LOL8D j/k

I don't think that IFs can live forever, so somewhere along the line, they have to grow "old" and pass on. Then again, after seeing Mr. Pockets and how many generations HE'S been with...whose to say for sure? I guess that's one mystery Craig has yet to reveal to us.

CG
11-21-2006, 11:52 AM
Who knows, really. But I know in a few doodles I've drawn retirement-home age Eduardo, Wilt 'n Coco. They're funny when they're old.

Eduardo: Es you taken your tablets?
Wilt: *straining to hear* Sorry..?
Eduardo: ES YOU TAKE YOUR TABLETS?
Wilt: I'm sorry, but why are you yelling...?

*snorts a giggle* Still makes me laugh even if it'll never happen.

LaBlooGirl
11-21-2006, 11:55 AM
Who knows, really. But I know in a few doodles I've drawn retirement-home age Eduardo, Wilt 'n Coco. They're funny when they're old.

Eduardo: Es you taken your tablets?
Wilt: *straining to hear* Sorry..?
Eduardo: ES YOU TAKE YOUR TABLETS?
Wilt: I'm sorry, but why are you yelling...?

*snorts a giggle* Still makes me laugh even if it'll never happen.

LOL 8D That's perfect! I hope you share those "doodles'!
And wouldn't that just make a grand fanfic! XD

CG
11-21-2006, 11:57 AM
Great now that there's a demand for it I gotta finish em! *shakes fist at LaBlooGirl* Grr!

Nah, seriously. I will. But the doodles ain't worth squat. I'll redraw them better and probably post em tonight.

DoubleLatte
11-21-2006, 12:12 PM
In the movie "Drop Dead Fred", Drop Dead Fred was the IF of the Lead character, both at her childhood and then 20 years later when he came back. He was virtually unchanged. he did not age in the same way that people age. (I do not think this was mentioned yet but I could be wrong)

Glad you brought up that movie. Thing is, Drop Dead Fred was invisible to everyone but this girl. He was more of an extension of herself which she used as an outlet. In contrast, Foster's IF are as real as we are, though they never seem to physically age. If their insides deteriorated with time as PBL stated, how has Uncle Pockets been able to stay alive and kicking after every generation of children he's been through? (credit to LaBlooGirl for mentioning that.)

pitbulllady
11-21-2006, 01:18 PM
Glad you brought up that movie. Thing is, Drop Dead Fred was invisible to everyone but this girl. He was more of an extension of herself which she used as an outlet. In contrast, Foster's IF are as real as we are, though they never seem to physically age. If their insides deteriorated with time as PBL stated, how has Uncle Pockets been able to stay alive and kicking after every generation of children he's been through? (credit to LaBlooGirl for mentioning that.)

Just because they can age, doesn't mean that they have to do so at the same rate as us humans do! I mean, if a house fly were to have the intelligence that we do, and look at how long WE live, compared to its species, we would seem to be virtually immortal! And if the same could apply to a Galapagos giant tortoise, it would probably feel sorry of us having such a pitifully brief lifespan! Uncle Pockets has probably for certain outlived his creator, and has seen many other kids grow up and grow old, but that doesn't mean that he will live forever. Some Imaginary Friends, at least, just have much longer lifespans than humans do.

pitbulllady

Cassini90125
11-21-2006, 01:22 PM
LOL 8D That's perfect! I hope you share those "doodles'!
And wouldn't that just make a grand fanfic! XD

"Foster's Retirement Home For Imaginary Friends"? I love it! 8D

CG
11-21-2006, 04:50 PM
lol That calls for fanart and/or fanfiction almost immediately. Eduardo with dentures and Wilt in either a wheelchair or with a walking cane.

SkittleMonkey
11-21-2006, 05:09 PM
Dang, those would have to be some big, honkin' dentures...

kageri
11-21-2006, 05:44 PM
Dang, those would have to be some big, honkin' dentures...

And one loooong walking cane.

pitbulllady
11-22-2006, 07:27 AM
lol That calls for fanart and/or fanfiction almost immediately. Eduardo with dentures and Wilt in either a wheelchair or with a walking cane.

That kinda reminds me of Bloo's dream in "Mac Daddy" in which he envisioned himself and Mac as a couple of old fogies with long beards sitting around in rocking chairs, still stuck with Cheese!

pitbulllady

Invader Bloo
11-22-2006, 11:46 AM
"Loook what I made":cheesegrin:
I don't think they age dramatically look at wilt or Duchess! Probally over 22 years at Foster's & they don't look different. But they age.

CG
11-22-2006, 01:24 PM
Not to mention Uncle Pockets. How old IS that guy??

antgirl1
11-23-2006, 01:51 PM
My lord...I have no idea...but older than Wilt, that's for sure!

CG
11-23-2006, 05:31 PM
We know now Wilt is 30 years plus at least. And if a little girl who he used to be a friend to is now like, 80 like Madame Foster imagine how old his origional kid is!

podpazie
11-23-2006, 05:58 PM
After watching GWH and seeing how Wilt got the wonky eye and stubby arm, it makes me wonder if IFs can be killed, and/or die when their creator dies, since they are an extension of themselves.

I know, morbid, but hey just a thought.

Thornwhistle
11-23-2006, 07:50 PM
We know now Wilt is 30 years plus at least. And if a little girl who he used to be a friend to is now like, 80 like Madame Foster imagine how old his origional kid is!

In the movie,we all seen who his creater is,and he didn't look that old. I would guess that he might be in his 30s to 40s.

Invader Bloo
11-23-2006, 09:55 PM
UP looks older than Wilt, he looks like Herriman's age.

pitbulllady
11-24-2006, 07:31 AM
After watching GWH and seeing how Wilt got the wonky eye and stubby arm, it makes me wonder if IFs can be killed, and/or die when their creator dies, since they are an extension of themselves.

I know, morbid, but hey just a thought.

Coco's creator is probably dead, and yet she is still going on strong. Uncle Pockets' creator is almost certainly dead by now, unless he was created by old Mrs. Tremont(Madame Foster's sitter in "Foster's Goes to Europe"), since she is virtually fossilized! I'm sure that IF's CAN be killed; they have indicated a belief in having an immortal spirit or soul("Blooooooo"), they certainly fear things that can kill them, just as we do. I have little doubt that Jordan knew Wilt would be killed if Larry fell on him completely(instead of just his arm)at the ending of the basketball match-up. They can be injured, permanently, and as Ahnold put it in Predator, "if it bleeds, we can kill it."

Speaking of aging, though, I noticed that Wilt DOES look somehow older now than he did in those flashback scenes. It's not just because he's missing an eye and arm, now, either. There is just this very subtle change to his face, something that was not there in those scenes where he and Jordan were playing ball together in the flashbacks. It's not like he has wrinkles or anything(though if he were "real", there would probably be a few lines and creases that weren't there to begin with), but there is just something. It's true that his anquish and guilt he's carried all those years, not to mention untold physical pain he has to have suffered, could have resulted in those changes, but those things contribute to how fast a HUMAN ages, too-just look at photos of our American Presidents when they went into office and compare them to when they LEFT office, and compare those to an ordinary person's photos taken over the same duration of time.

pitbulllady

Cassini90125
11-24-2006, 08:37 AM
Has anyone figured out what Wilt's age really is as of 2006, + or - a year or two? Or any of the other IF's ages, for that matter?

antgirl1
11-24-2006, 09:51 AM
What year was he born? :D

Invader Bloo
11-24-2006, 10:26 AM
I think Mac was 3 when he created Bloo, so 8-3=5. Bloo's 5...I think

antgirl1
11-24-2006, 11:49 AM
No, I meant what year Wilt was born.

pitbulllady
11-24-2006, 12:28 PM
What year was he born? :D

While I know that you cannot go by the photos in the Foster's Album("The Big Picture"), since they would have Frankie being at least 34(when it was clearly stated in "Frankie My Dear" that she was 22, and corraborated by her DL), we know that the first showdown between Wilt and Larry took place 30 years ago, which would have been 1976. It had taken a year for Wilt and Jordan to become the best two-man team in the 'hood, and presumably, that quality didn't happen overnight. Jordan was very unsure of himself and needed a LOT of coaching and guidance to become that good, so I guess this would have put Wilt's creation as having been sometimes in the early 70's, around '72-'75, which would put him in his mid-thirties at least. Jordan has to have been playing in the NBA, very successfully, for quite some time to have amassed the wealth that he has, though he doesn't seem as old as his namesake!

pitbulllady

Invader Bloo
11-24-2006, 12:32 PM
Someone said something about any IF's age so I posted Bloo'sage. :D
Yeah, Wilt has to be in his mid-30's, he might go through his mid-life crisis in a couple years or seasons. :P

pitbulllady
11-24-2006, 12:48 PM
Yeah, Wilt has to be in his mid-30's, he might go through his mid-life crisis in a couple years or seasons. :P

Yeah, now that they know who his creator is, they'll know exactly what date he was created on, his "birthday", basically. I can't wait to see those black decorations and black balloons and the black birthday cake and that black banner stating, "Lordy, Lordy, Lordy...Wilt Is FORTY" strung across the foyer of Foster's, with Grim hired to answer the door and to greet the Wilt-Man as he arrives, LOL!

pitbulllady

Cassini90125
11-24-2006, 01:33 PM
While I know that you cannot go by the photos in the Foster's Album("The Big Picture"), since they would have Frankie being at least 34(when it was clearly stated in "Frankie My Dear" that she was 22, and corraborated by her DL), we know that the first showdown between Wilt and Larry took place 30 years ago, which would have been 1976. It had taken a year for Wilt and Jordan to become the best two-man team in the 'hood, and presumably, that quality didn't happen overnight. Jordan was very unsure of himself and needed a LOT of coaching and guidance to become that good, so I guess this would have put Wilt's creation as having been sometimes in the early 70's, around '72-'75, which would put him in his mid-thirties at least. Jordan has to have been playing in the NBA, very successfully, for quite some time to have amassed the wealth that he has, though he doesn't seem as old as his namesake!

pitbulllady

That makes sense. When would you guess he arrived at Foster's, and how far back would his friendship with Eduardo go?

DoubleLatte
11-24-2006, 01:49 PM
Speaking of aging, though, I noticed that Wilt DOES look somehow older now than he did in those flashback scenes. It's not just because he's missing an eye and arm, now, either. There is just this very subtle change to his face, something that was not there in those scenes where he and Jordan were playing ball together in the flashbacks. It's not like he has wrinkles or anything(though if he were "real", there would probably be a few lines and creases that weren't there to begin with), but there is just something.

I noticed that, too! But it was also something that I couldn't quite pinpoint or explain. My sister noticed the difference as well. It's there. Maybe they're the missing stitches? His face looked younger and sharper, I guess, for lack of a better word. But there was definitely a difference when you compare him to his 70's self and today.

pitbulllady
11-24-2006, 01:49 PM
That makes sense. When would you guess he arrived at Foster's, and how far back would his friendship with Eduardo go?

Since Wilt is so willing to be a friend to everybody he meets(well, except for Larry, understandably-wonder how THAT'S gonna go, with both of 'em living under the same roof now?), he probably befriended Ed right away. From the Annual Foster's Photos, it appears that Eduardo arrived two years after Wilt did. The fact that Ed is so childlike and innocent and afraid of so many things would naturally trigger Wilt's strong paternal instincts, probably for the first time since he and Jordan parted company, while Wilt's calm demeanor and lack of fear of most things would be a comfort to someone who is afraid of nearly everything, and still suffering from separation anxiety after being left there by Nina.

pitbulllady

Sarah
03-14-2007, 06:10 AM

That's funny, I thought that "Good Wilt Hunting" would have been his mid-life crisis... :o

I was also thinking that maybe he's in his teenage years and that's him 'finding himself', per say.
I don't really think Imaginary Friends age, and if they do I don't think they would age like we do.
Then again - it's probably up to the child who imagined it. They don't have the capacity of aging when they have IF's, so they wouldn't age - right?

I don't know. XD

pitbulllady
03-14-2007, 09:53 AM
That's funny, I thought that "Good Wilt Hunting" would have been his mid-life crisis... :o

I was also thinking that maybe he's in his teenage years and that's him 'finding himself', per say.
I don't really think Imaginary Friends age, and if they do I don't think they would age like we do.
Then again - it's probably up to the child who imagined it. They don't have the capacity of aging when they have IF's, so they wouldn't age - right?

I don't know. XD

You mean that the children who create IF's don't have the capacity to age, or what? Humans start aging the second that they're born, although they might now show the physical signs that most of us associate with aging until much later in life. Most children as young as two have an understanding of the aging process, and know that people look different as they get older.

While it has been more or less stated on the show that Imaginary Friends do not age, outwardly at least, you can see the effects of 30 years' worth of guilt, pain and anxiety on Wilt's features. Compare the screencap of him getting off the bus at the terminal, or when he is sitting on the lawnmower watching those kids play basketball, with the flashback picks of him and Jordan practicing. It's not just the loss of an arm and the messed-up, blind eye-Wilt LOOKS older now than he did back then. It's very subtle, but the effects of those past 30 years are still as much there on his face as they are on any human's. Carrying around all the guilt and self-loathing cannot have been good for his physical well-being, either, and it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't have some internal effect, like ulcers, as a result. He's just too tough to let it show...for now.

pitbulllady

CG
03-14-2007, 03:50 PM
Since Wilt is so willing to be a friend to everybody he meets(well, except for Larry, understandably-wonder how THAT'S gonna go, with both of 'em living under the same roof now?), he probably befriended Ed right away. From the Annual Foster's Photos, it appears that Eduardo arrived two years after Wilt did. The fact that Ed is so childlike and innocent and afraid of so many things would naturally trigger Wilt's strong paternal instincts, probably for the first time since he and Jordan parted company, while Wilt's calm demeanor and lack of fear of most things would be a comfort to someone who is afraid of nearly everything, and still suffering from separation anxiety after being left there by Nina.

That's exactly how I feel about it. There wasn't that many friends in the house judging by the photos, and Eduardo being how he is he would have been nothing more than traumatized by having to be left there by Nina. Wilt, being the kind hearted big brother type he is would have given Eduardo as much emotional support as he could. Heck, it was probably Wilt who insisted on Eduardo becoming his room mate in the first place, just to help ease Eduardo into the idea of living in the house. Besides, I don't see Eduardo as the kind of guy (back then) to want to sleep all alone in a strange new house on the first night.

Ub3rD4n
04-28-2007, 10:15 PM
I don't think they age physically, but can evolve as a person.

But still, and as much as I hate to argue with PBL, I beleive that all Imaginary Friends are always kids at heart. Even the extremasaurs (though they are more like angry 1 year olds). Even Mr Herriman acts childish from time to time. Wilt is totally a kid, he doesn't do anything else but play around all day. Sure, he helps Frankie once in a while, but that just makes him a good kid. Not growing up is kinda the point of Imaginary Friends. Because we have to. Mac'll someday have to get a career and a house, but Bloo will always be without a care in the world.

And seriously, who could imagine Cheese working in an office?

Memo: I like chocolate milk.

KazooBloo
12-02-2016, 09:21 PM
Not physically.