PDA

View Full Version : Dungeons and Dragons Fans, To Me!

Nathander
11-07-2006, 07:48 PM
Surely I can't be the only one who plays this game, one of the oldest RPGs ever made. If that happens to be the case, I'm going to be one sad, little nerdy-nerd.....

And believe me, I am a nerd when it comes to this game. I basically grew up with it, as my dad would run a campaign every other Saturday when I was a little kid that I would play the NPCs for. Since then, my fascination with fantasy anything, and especially D&D really grew, and has continued to grow since and has been increased tenfold by the fact that I now have a job and can make money to get more manuals.

As of now, I'm not part of any campaign, as I'm trying to find/start one, which is oddly hard considering I'm at college where you'd think I'd have an easier time finding/starting one. Anyone else have any experiences with the game? Introduction to it? Character stories?

Cassini90125
11-07-2006, 07:56 PM
I love the game! At one time or another I've played just about every race and class, run a dozen different campaigns, and spent a fortune on the books. It been a hobby for a very long time. Alas, I too am not playing at present, as there's no one in the area that knows the game or wants to, but that doesn't stop me from looking. Besides, there's plenty one can do with it alone; if you've ever designed a campaign from scratch, you know exactly what I'm talking about. :bloogrin:

X-Cheese-fangirl-x
11-08-2006, 11:33 AM
At school, there used to be a D&D club, my best friends and I joined it. But the teacher(s) doing it left so we can't do more. We were in the middle of defeating zombies! And I was a baird.

Medikor
11-08-2006, 01:26 PM
I never played the D&D games before. It would be interesting to see where RPG's got their start.

Sparky
11-08-2006, 06:16 PM
When I was a little kid my brother (who's older) used to play D&D with the two boys across the street and I used to go watch them. They didn't want me to play for various reasons (the most obvious being that I was probably annoying) but they always warded me off by showing me that it said right on the box and the books "For ages 10 and up".

Guess what *I* insisted on doing on my 10th birthday? :cheesegrin: So I joined their campaign and we played for YEARS. When I was in middle school I started developing my own game universe and everything and in high school I ran my own campaigns. I haven't tabletopped since college, now. I'm sure there's many ways to play D&D online nowadays, I just don't have time.

taranchula
11-08-2006, 06:24 PM
I have never played straight up D&D before, but I do remember my chums and I, having a lot of fun with the old D&D gold box computer games.

Preferably the Krynn series.. (Which was "Champions of Krynn", "Death Knights of Krynn" and "Dark Queen of Krynn")

Cassini90125
11-08-2006, 07:19 PM
I never much cared for the commercially available settings, though I had no problem borrowing ideas from them. It was always more fun for me to make my own worlds.

Nathander
11-08-2006, 07:45 PM
I never played the D&D games before. It would be interesting to see where RPG's got their start.

Actually, to know where RPGs got their start, you have to move a liiittle bit back before D&D.

The original concept of tabletop gaming, which started in the mid to late 60s, were the then-popular war games, which were most likely so popular due to the emphasis of war movies at the time, as well as the fact that they provided a form of entertainment that adult war buffs could easily sit down to due to the complexity of the rules. Eventually, however, two men named Gary Gygax and Michael Arneson (I believe it was Arneson who was the co-creator) decided they wanted to adapt some of the rules from these war games and there systems to a fantasy setting inspired by the works of Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Lovecraft, and ancient mysticism/religions. The initial product would be a game they'd produce from their garage called Chainmail, which would be VERY well received. Inspired by this, Gygax and Arneson would expand on the initial rules, adding until it became a game of its own. This would then be produced into what we now know as Dungeons and Dragons First Edition. The rest is history.

In all honesty, it's amazing I remember all that crap, as there's absolutely no reason for why I'd have to know all that. :P

have never played straight up D&D before, but I do remember my chums and I, having a lot of fun with the old D&D gold box computer games.

Preferably the Krynn series.. (Which was "Champions of Krynn", "Death Knights of Krynn" and "Dark Queen of Krynn")

More worthless pop trivia:

The series you're referring to is part of the Dragonlance Campaign, creating by Margaret Weiss and........damn, I can't remember the other creator. Ah well, guess my pop culture knowledge isn't infinite. 8D

I never much cared for the commercially available settings, though I had no problem borrowing ideas from them. It was always more fun for me to make my own worlds.

I've never really had a problem with the commercially available settings, and have always adored the Forgotten Realms setting. In a lot of ways, I attribute this to the fact that I read so many of the novels based off that setting during my childhood :goo: .

Still, I agree with you; I find it more rewarding to borrow some ideas ifor the creation of a home-made gameworld.

GrimTheLost
11-09-2006, 09:00 AM
I remember playing D&D in my gym class in middle school.

Partymember
11-28-2006, 05:31 PM
Margaret Weiss and i think Tracy Hickman. Read THE WHOLE series when i was about 12-13. Looking back, they really sucked. Haven't played D&D in years, though.

i did play with a friend in the back bleachers during Chorus once, everyone else was standing so it gave us cover. i kid you not.

Nathander
11-28-2006, 07:08 PM
Margaret Weiss and i think Tracy Hickman. Read THE WHOLE series when i was about 12-13. Looking back, they really sucked. Haven't played D&D in years, though.

Yeah, a lot of the novels based around D&D do. One of the few authors who I think has ever really succeeded in making it a profitable genre has been R.A. Salvatore.