PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Genre of Video Game

Nathander
11-05-2006, 02:53 PM
What type of video/computer games are you particular to? Action? Racing? Puzzler?

I'm a RPG man, myself.

Voxxyn
11-05-2006, 03:53 PM
I love side-scrollers and adventure games... and I love it even more when these two things are combined.

Which explains my undying love for Metroid. :)

SkittleMonkey
11-05-2006, 04:17 PM
I like video games that take a lot of thinking to figure out as well as mindless weapon-wielding games with the SWISH SWISH and the CLANG CLANG. RPG's are fun too.

Mr. Marshmallow
11-05-2006, 04:58 PM
I'm really good at fighting games ala Smash Bros. Melee or the Soul Calibur series. I'm not a RPG fan and I can't really delve into the whole puzzle solving bit thing. And by puzzles I mean RPG games again, I just can't get into those.

I prefer adventure games or first person shooters like Halo and Unreal Tournament. Adventure games go as my favorites: Conker's Bad Fur Day, Star Fox Adventures, Luigi's Mansion, Sonic Adventure and the Jak and Daxter series.

Jak and Daxter is my favorite video games series of all time, second only to the Star Fox series. I've played, beaten, and loved every Jak/Daxter game there is with the exception of "Daxter" for the PSP only because I don't OWN a PSP.

Thornwhistle
11-05-2006, 05:02 PM
My favorites are RPGs and those point and click detective games. (well,any point and click games tend to be fun) :D

Cassini90125
11-05-2006, 05:07 PM
Simulation games, or whatever category the Sims 2 is in.

billytheskink
11-05-2006, 07:43 PM
oooooo, tough question.

I guess I'll say strategy, when I have the time. SimFarm, Civilization II, and Military Madness are three of my favorites in the genre.

Looking for something quicker to play, either Sports or Fighting. Often meaning, Tecmo Super Bowl, World Series Baseball, Street Fighter Alpha 2, or Virtua Fighter Kids.

Nathander
11-05-2006, 07:51 PM
I love side-scrollers and adventure games... and I love it even more when these two things are combined.

Which explains my undying love for Metroid. :)

Those are a close second, and I love Metroid, though it's second to Castlevania for me. Though I suppose Castlevania has, in it's recent incarnations, become more action/RPG than side-scroller.....

My favorites are RPGs and those point and click detective games. (well,any point and click games tend to be fun)

You have no idea how glad that statement has made me, as it makes me hold out hope that someone else is as excited as I am for the upcoming, new (finally) "Sam and Max" game.

fosterman
11-06-2006, 04:39 AM
ska8ing video games :cheese:

Sama-chan
08-12-2007, 10:59 PM
Anything that involves violence. and guitar hero.

emperor26
08-13-2007, 08:00 AM
I enjoy games that includes the following categories:

Action, Adventure, RPGs (not counting the MMOs), Shooters (first-person or rail), Arcade, Puzzles and sometimes point and click games.

Basically, these are the genres I enjoy the most.

Ub3rD4n
08-13-2007, 11:05 PM
I like those funky strategy games like pokemon and yugioh (cue the bricks). They're not REAL strategy, say on the level of chess or Warcraft, but I like 'em.

L.G.
07-01-2008, 07:34 PM
Usually, I like racing/driving games or platformers: I like being in control of my character or driver. Thus, I'm not too crazy about RPGs (unless it's a Mario RPG).

some guy you dont know
07-04-2008, 08:39 PM
i really enjoy the old 2-D platformers like sonic or super mario bros. (i play these at least once a week, if not daily anymore. :D)

I also enjoy rythym games (and by rythym games i mean guitar hero. and maybe parappa the rapper.)

Also whatever pokemon is. and yugioh games for some reason. (probably because i like the card game and video games are cheaper :P)

Ill play almost anything, but if its not one of these kinds of games, then i usually wont be all to intrested in it.

Subzeroace
07-04-2008, 09:31 PM
Classic Adventure (Monkey Island, Sam and Max, Grim Fandango, that kind of stuff) ,some Platformers (Psychonauts!), Classic Music (Loom, Parappa The Rapper, Um Jammer Lammy, Frequency, Amplitude), Some MMO's (Dream of Mirror Online), RPG's (Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts) and Survival Horror (Silent Hill!)

emperor26
07-05-2008, 09:48 AM
My favorite genres in video games would have to be adventure, RPGs, action, beat'em up or versus, survival horror and point and click.

Medikor
07-07-2008, 01:34 PM
I've been an avid gamer my whole life and have a wide pallet of genres that I love. RPG's, fighting games, action/platformers, strategy (both real-time and turn based), simulations, music/rhythm games... It's really not a matter of genre for me as it is the game in question.

Ccook50
07-07-2008, 01:42 PM
I break royal wind at video games. I'm lucky I can get through Jeopardy!

Xroc88
07-07-2008, 08:16 PM
FPS all the way!

kageri
07-08-2008, 06:58 PM
My problem is that I usually have no idea what category my favorite games are in to start with. Kingdom Hearts is an RPG which I like, but it's less a video game and more a video game that wants to be a movie when it grows up, moreso in the sequel. I play it mostly for the Disney awesome because I don't really care about Final Fantasy and the actual gameplay parts are just short bouts of button-mashing.

Platformers like Super Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie and Crash Bandicoot and asjfhdksh are also awesome (boy do those razor-sharp polygons bring back memories), and Pokemon is still fun.

I wish I could play those DDR-type games, but I just have no coordination at all, woe.