PDA

View Full Version : October 28...WOOOT!

pitbulllady
10-18-2006, 02:27 PM
Completely at random today, while grocery shopping, I picked up a copy of The State newspaper, something I usually only do on Sundays, and occasionally on Fridays. I don't even know why I bought one on Wednesday, but when I got home with it, inside I read that Congaree National Park(South Carolina's only National Park, and one of the newest in the country), along with Clemson University and the US Parks Service and Dept. of the Interior, is sponsoring the first-annual spider survey in the park, and they need volunteers to tromp around in the woods and swamps, collecting a census, more or less, on all the spiders there.

It's a dirty job, but somebody's gotta do it.

Needless to say, I couldn't dial the phone number fast enough, LOL! I am so looking forward to doing this, and hey, it's for my country and the environment!

pitbulllady

donna323
10-18-2006, 03:07 PM
You are far braver than I!

GrimTheLost
10-18-2006, 03:50 PM
Kudos to you for helping the environment. Hurrah!

Voxxyn
10-19-2006, 01:30 PM
Very cool to hear :D

Sparky
10-20-2006, 05:13 PM
I have never heard of anything like that. :) I wish I could do it with you!

One Radical Dude
10-20-2006, 05:27 PM
I agree with donna, I don't have the guts to do what you are doing, myself. More power to you.

taranchula
10-20-2006, 05:33 PM
Wow! Doing what you love and volunteering for your country, talk about your win-win situations.

scary_dream
10-21-2006, 12:02 AM
Yay! That DOES sound like fun!

pitbulllady
10-21-2006, 09:58 AM
I am so looking forward to it; I just hope the weather cooperates. Spiders don't like cold, rainy weather any more than most humans do, and are likely to be very hard to find in that event. I probably ought to call the guy back and see how many folks he's had volunteer, since if he's still short of the needed group, I could probably post something on Arachnoboards.com and round up a few more enthusiasts in the Carolinas and Georgia. It ought to be fun, and it is the very first of its kind sponsored by the US Parks Service. Normally, they have only taken censuses of the big animals, the vertebrates, but now that the inverts are getting recognition for their importance as indicators of environmental health, they need to be counted, too. Spiders are an apex predator in the invert world, so their presence indicates a healthy and diverse ecology.

pitbulllady

Invader Bloo
10-21-2006, 06:35 PM
The 28th is my B-day. What you not gonna celebrate it!? :terrence:

J/K! Have fun! Oh yeah....*In tune of "I'm going to the Ice Charades* my birthday's 6 day! My birthday's in 6 days! :P I've been singing that for a week.