PDA

View Full Version : Duchess

FostersFriend
08-16-2006, 07:20 AM
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n55/FostersFriend/Duchess.png
A spoilt and rude imaginary friend. Duchess is hated by many imaginary friends at Foster's. She bosses everyone around which drives Frankie crazy. She never really treats anyone with respect but herself, and she hates Foster's home, even though she stays there. No one really expects for Duchess to get adopted, but she has been adopted before by a rather od family, who didn't mind Duchess's rude comments. But of course in the end she came back to Foster's. No one really thinks she will change, although they keep hoping for her to be adopted. >:(

Sims Katie
08-19-2006, 08:07 PM
I like that she's one-dimensional! Like a painting :)

Verity
09-13-2006, 06:37 AM
I'm not sure why, but she's one of the best. She looks interesting.

I think she's two-dimensional. But I don't think I've actually seen it. Does it show in "House of Bloo's"?

taranchula
09-13-2006, 07:51 AM
I'm not sure why, but she's one of the best. She looks interesting.

I think she's two-dimensional. But I don't think I've actually seen it. Does it show in "House of Bloo's"?

I can't remember, but if you watch the episode "Partying is such sweet Soriee" you'll see Duchess is indeed 2-D in that episode.

One Radical Dude
09-14-2006, 02:28 PM
I like this character, and I can't really explain a whole lot as to why. Her character design is unique, as she is physically a two-dimensional character. I still think Duchess of Wails is among my favorite episodes, and I certain hope to see more of Duchess in the future.

scary_dream
09-20-2006, 10:09 PM
I like Duchess, but in moderation. She works well as an in-the-house antagonist, but her griping, whining, and ordering-around of everyone gets a touch old.

However, I DID like seeing HER be miserable for a change in Duchess of Wails.

And her design is awesome... it's very original to have a 2D character in a 2D-meant-to-be-3D cartoon (I said cartoon because I know the 2D in 3D thing has been played to death in shows like Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Space Jam). This kind of makes me wonder, though... (I'm sorry if this has appeared in an episode and I've just forgotten it) since she IS 2D in a world that is meant to be 3D, can she fit through extremely small places like a piece of paper through wooden slats?

bigdog
10-11-2006, 08:24 AM
Boo Duchess! Boo hiss boo!

(my opinion.)

Sumshine 904
11-24-2006, 07:41 PM
Boo Duchess! Boo hiss boo!

(my opinion.)

lol

Don't worry, everyone's got thier own opinion and I respect everyone's. :) But I do agree that Duchess is indeed a creative character, she's literally 2-D in a cartoon. X3 Pluss she looks like she was created by Piccasso. ;)

I heard on Wikipedia that Duchess was created by Frankie when she was little. But I highly doubt it sence Frankie is such a nice person (although she does have a firey temper). It's probibly just a bunch of nonsence.

Invader Bloo
11-24-2006, 07:52 PM
I'd never beleive anything Wiki has about cartoons.

taranchula
11-24-2006, 09:32 PM
lol

I heard on Wikipedia that Duchess was created by Frankie when she was little. But I highly doubt it sence Frankie is such a nice person (although she does have a firey temper). It's probibly just a bunch of nonsence.

And besides isn't Duchess supposed to be older then Frankie. Which of course puts that theory right on the scrap heap, if that was the case. :jk:

Voxxyn
11-24-2006, 10:50 PM
The Foster's pages on Wikipedia say or have said at one point that Eduardo will die a grisly death, that Bloo is Mac's only friend(not best, only), that Frankie is named after Frank Black of alternative-rock band The Pixies, that Mac's Mom and her IF would show up in "Good Wilt Hunting", etc...

Yeah, I'd say it's just a bunch of nonsense. :D

I like Duchess. Not as a person, of course, but as a character. She's a great villain figure, and I wouldn't mind seeing her given another starring role in the same quality as "Duchess of Wails". I especially like the interactions between her and Frankie.

The opening minute of DOW with Duchess and Frankie arguing was infinitely more funny and entertaining than all twenty-one minutes of the episode that preceded it in premiere airdate.

The bloo
11-29-2006, 02:32 PM
Dutchess is ugly and is very mean to frankie and the others

jokerbloo
11-29-2006, 02:37 PM

thats what EXACTLY what i think of her......plus she smells funny.

BabyElephant
11-29-2006, 10:13 PM

Which is exactly why Foster's needs her...every show needs that antagonist, the character everyone loves to hate. While I certainly wouldn't want to see her in large doses, a little bit of Duchess (no "t", consarn it) adds a little bit of conflict that makes the show more interesting. And unlike certain other unpleasant IFs who shall..erm...remain nameless, I don't get a feeling of maliciousness with Duchess. She's a royal pain in the you-know-what, but she can't help it...it's just who she is. >:(

Nathander
11-30-2006, 07:02 AM
This kind of makes me wonder, though... (I'm sorry if this has appeared in an episode and I've just forgotten it) since she IS 2D in a world that is meant to be 3D, can she fit through extremely small places like a piece of paper through wooden slats?

If she did possess that ability, I'm wondering if she'd even use it, considering the fact that she disdains doing any real physical activity and will attempt to find a way to get by without doing it no matter what.

As for the character herself, I like the character a bit. I think she can make an entertaining antagonist, especially when she plays off of Bloo. I still think her interaction with Bloo and Mac in "Dinner is Swerved" made for some of the funniest moments in that episode.

Sparky
11-30-2006, 12:09 PM
I can see Bloo (and perhaps Mac) trying to connive her into slipping through a narrow opening or under a locked door in order to do/get something for him/them. That would be amusing. ;)

taranchula
11-30-2006, 12:58 PM
I can see Bloo (and perhaps Mac) trying to connive her into slipping through a narrow opening or under a locked door in order to do/get something for him/them. That would be amusing. ;)

Dag, that would be awesome to see in an episode, just to see the three of them in some kind of situation where they are forced to put aside past differences for only a moment and work together. (And no Duchess of Wails doesn't really count in that respect just for the simple fact that Duchess wasn't exactly a willing participant in Mac and Bloo's scheme in that episode.)

DoubleLatte
11-30-2006, 02:36 PM
Which is exactly why Foster's needs her...every show needs that antagonist, the character everyone loves to hate. While I certainly wouldn't want to see her in large doses, a little bit of Duchess (no "t", consarn it) adds a little bit of conflict that makes the show more interesting. And unlike certain other unpleasant IFs who shall..erm...remain nameless, I don't get a feeling of maliciousness with Duchess. She's a royal pain in the you-know-what, but she can't help it...it's just who she is. >:(

Exactly.

And, don't hate me, but when I first saw Duchess, I flinched a little at the uncanny resemblance between her and myself, in terms of bossing around and high maintenance, and dare I say it... maybe some narcissism. :3 The only reason I don't reach the heights of blatant rudeness like Duchess is because I have to restrain myself to be a likeable and civilized individual. But deep down, yeah, I probably would be a Duchess myself. I was her creator, in fact. ;p

Hey, at least I'm honest with myself, and the truth stings; particularly when someone else points that out to you.

Mr. Marshmallow
12-01-2006, 07:41 AM
You know it's odd but we haven't seen Duchess for a while. She's not my favorite character mind you, and she's down right ugly as sin, but I think they need to keep her around because she's still a decent reoccurring villain.

I think her voice suits her perfectly and it's one of the really great "evil" traits about her that I find so suiting for her character. After seeing Little Lincoln and the Space Nutboogies take over the house, Duchess could probably do the same.

Cell_Phone_guy
12-08-2006, 08:35 PM
Since Little Lincoln sold all the imaginary friends in "Emancipation Complication" (except for Bloo and Herriman), he must of sold Duchess to someone as well. I wonder who would have bought her since hardly anyone took her for free! I also wonder how long before whoever bought her would want their money back!

InsaneFan
12-12-2006, 01:34 PM
Yeah, I never thought of that!

...I think the Foster's crew killed her. xD

xxelex
12-12-2006, 06:14 PM
i think she thinks she should be treated better than she is even if she is treated like a Queen

Ub3rD4n
04-28-2007, 07:29 PM
I'll second the call for more Duchess. She has good potential to be an awesome character, and yes, I think she can't help being such a......word I don't think I can say on this forum. Think about it, she has to have been freindly to at least ONE person, right? The girl (I'm assuming girl) who created her. I actually think they should cover her backstory this season. Inquiring minds want to know! Otherwise, the paper's'll just be filled with stories about Bloo!

jekylljuice
04-30-2007, 05:58 AM
I'll second the call for more Duchess. She has good potential to be an awesome character, and yes, I think she can't help being such a......word I don't think I can say on this forum. Think about it, she has to have been freindly to at least ONE person, right? The girl (I'm assuming girl) who created her. I actually think they should cover her backstory this season. Inquiring minds want to know! Otherwise, the paper's'll just be filled with stories about Bloo!

I'd say that the closest Duchess has come to being friendly toward anybody else within the series was in ‘the Big Picture’, when she sets out to make Eduardo more photogenic. Naturally, she had entirely her own interests in mind, and used the scenario as a springboard to say some pretty darn hurtful things about Coco, but I found it refreshing nonetheless to see her more constructive side in action, whilst keeping her completely in character, and I’ll always hold the episode in high regard for it.

Yeah, I really like Duchess. She’s probably my third favourite of the major IFs, after Wilt and Coco. Her character design is simply awesome (I’m not averse to a little comical grotesquery - if I were, I wouldn’t take my daily bulletins from a Twisted Whiskers calendar), and her snooty, acerbic demeanour is always good for laughs. I’d also be curious to learn a little about the kid who created her, and what kind of relationship they had. I don't recall seeing Duchess at the reunion in the GWH, which makes me wonder if they're still on speaking terms.

Nowadays, whenever I hear the song “Duchess” by Genesis, I have her evil-looking gaze and dainty little swagger bouncing around inside my head. I’d probably make a music video if I had the time, the patience and the expertise. But alas, I don’t. >:(

Kzinistzerg
05-01-2007, 02:35 PM
Yeah, I'd like to know a bit roe about where she came from too. As is, she's a bit a of two-dimensional character.

*runs from the HORRIBLE pun*

Sorry! I couldn't resist. :D

HappyFoppy
05-02-2007, 01:30 AM
Well, I think Duchess is a really funny personality. Without her, the show would be way more boring. I know she's mean to practically everyone, but I think every show, cartoon, videogame, whatever, needs a character that's like that. It bruises up the show, and I hope there's a bit of Duchess in S5 (or S6?)! ;)

Aly23
05-02-2007, 07:06 AM
I'd like to know a bit about where all the friends cam from. It would make them more understandable about how they act and everything.

I Don't like Duchess but i guess every show needs somebody like her. But she is funny, i'll give her that!

AprilDawn
05-02-2007, 06:14 PM
I love Duchess! She is one of my favorite characters. I actually think she is a pretty (if you will) IF. Theres just something about her that makes me happy to see her on screen. I also like how she is flat or whatever. Its neat to see her turn. XD

Ub3rD4n
05-03-2007, 12:08 AM
Yeah, that's the thing: She looks a bit groutesque when you first see her, but her appearance kinda grows on you. Now I can see that she really IS a work of art. (and of course, a peice of work.>:( )

One Radical Dude
05-03-2007, 07:36 PM
I'll say this, but I want to see a bit more Duchess in the 5th season. I'm sure we'll catch her at least once. "Duchess of Wails" was one of my overall favorite episodes.

fosters home fan
05-04-2007, 01:13 AM
I'll say this, but I want to see a bit more Duchess in the 5th season. I'm sure we'll catch her at least once. "Duchess of Wails" was one of my overall favorite episodes.

That's one of my favorite episodes, too!:) >:(

Anyways, I think Duchess is kinda funny. I want to see her in upcoming episodes, too. I think it's hilarious how she's literally 2-D!!! hahahaha! I wonder who her creator was...

cartman414
07-31-2007, 07:20 AM
Count me in among those who wonder what kind of kid envisioned Duchess and her paper-thin Cubist self. Speaking of paper-thin, it would be hilarious if the Paper Mario series also had that sort of a character.

Shelltoon
07-31-2007, 07:29 PM
I'm really curious as to who created Duchess as well. The one thing I love about her is that she's paper-thin.

Cassini90125
07-31-2007, 07:40 PM
I'd like to know what her age is. I've always assumed she's one of the older IF's in the house, but how old is she really? Is she somewhere near Mr. Herriman's age, or despite her appearance is she actually much younger?

Shelltoon
07-31-2007, 10:53 PM
Well, Duchess was there with Herriman, and Uncle Pockets in the first annual photo, but that doesn't really help determine her age. If I had to take a guess on the matter, she's probably around the same age as Herriman.

Ub3rD4n
08-01-2007, 10:48 PM
I'm not the first to suggest this, but she could be older still...

cartman414
10-01-2007, 10:16 AM
Kind of curious, but how tall is Duchess? She towers over Eduardo.

pitbulllady
10-01-2007, 03:46 PM
I'm not the first to suggest this, but she could be older still...

Duchess is obviously based on the works of artist Pablo Picasso from his "Classisist/Synthetic Cubism/Surrealist" period, from the late 1920's through WWII, so she would have probably been created, probably in Europe, sometimes within that time frame, or shortly afterwards. Her accent is definately Eastern European. I've had this theory that she and her creator were separated by the invading Nazi troops, and perhaps she witnessed quite a few horrors, which could account for her nastiness. It's a defense mechanism borne of bitterness.

pitbulllady

Frankie_4_Prez
04-11-2008, 07:12 AM
I'd love to see Duchess and Poker guy (Jack of Spades from Adoptcalypse) get together for some serious 2-D romance.

Lynnie
04-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Ah hahahaha! Yeah, because they're both paper thin. Poker Buddy so much so he could be slid right under the door. Duchess though does seem to have some depth to her though. Maybe like origami or something? Hmm, I dunno, she just always did have that weird structure to her, but it's hard to imagine how exactly that is.

Frankie_4_Prez
04-12-2008, 10:58 AM
Hmm, I dunno, she just always did have that weird structure to her, but it's hard to imagine how exactly that is.

When Duchess was first imagined, she had 3-Dness and a full body, then the creator (or family of) got so sick of her, and before finding out about Foster's, they smashed Duchess flat inside their largest atlas book and kept her in the attic. That's my theory.

Lynnie
04-12-2008, 01:36 PM
LOL!! :clap: Yeah!

Wish she could have stayed there. I wonder how she got out. Perhaps when they were moving to another house or something, and the book dropped and fell open. She escaped, and the world (and Foster's) would never be the same again. >:(

Frankie_4_Prez
04-13-2008, 09:42 AM
I really hope the writers could officially end my speculation about Duchess past, present, and future in this last season. Despite being very annoying, she is IMO an interesting character, with all her devious plans (House of Bloo's), trap door (Dinner is Swerved, now THERE's a secret door Bloo didn't really like!), and I have yet to watch Duchess of Wails (I hear it's a great episode.)

Ridureyu
04-15-2008, 01:07 PM
Duchess is obviously based on the works of artist Pablo Picasso from his "Classisist/Synthetic Cubism/Surrealist" period, from the late 1920's through WWII, so she would have probably been created, probably in Europe, sometimes within that time frame, or shortly afterwards. Her accent is definately Eastern European. I've had this theory that she and her creator were separated by the invading Nazi troops, and perhaps she witnessed quite a few horrors, which could account for her nastiness. It's a defense mechanism borne of bitterness.

pitbulllady

Of course, there's also the theory that WORLD WAR II IS DUCHESS' FAULT.

pitbulllady
04-15-2008, 05:59 PM
Of course, there's also the theory that WORLD WAR II IS DUCHESS' FAULT.

According to Jackie, the first World War is WILT'S fault, so he'd probably blame Wilt for the second one, too!

pitbulllady

antgirl1
04-15-2008, 07:16 PM
According to Jackie, the first World War is WILT'S fault, so he'd probably blame Wilt for the second one, too!

pitbulllady

ROFL, but that'd be impossible - Wilt was created in 1976. :D

Frankie_4_Prez
04-15-2008, 07:38 PM
Speaking of wars and such... Duchess vs. Scissors: that would be an EPIC battle!

Cassini90125
08-01-2008, 02:27 PM
Duchess was the one not-Frankie subject I asked Craig about last Sunday. He told me that they never created her creator but he was an artistic prodigy of a sort, creating pettigreed, artistic Imaginary Friends much as Picasso or Van Gogh would create paintings, and the IF's he created were for sale to those who could afford them, much as we might purchase high-end paintings and sculptures. Duchess ended up at Foster's because of her attitude; no one was willing to put up with her, including (I assume) her creator and his parents. I didn't ask about her age but if she was created to look the way she looks now, she could possibly be much younger than we've thought. Another point to ponder is that she's a sentient being but is also for sale, which has some serious implications. Thoughts, anyone?

koosie
08-01-2008, 03:20 PM
Sportsmen are sold between teams in certain team sports. You must have that over there too in Football or Basketball or something.

Don't we all sell ourselves a little bit, usually our goods, our skills or our time, in order to survive till tomorrow and maybe be a buyer of somebody else. Duchess's commodity is her whole self but that in turn is part of her creator until she is signed over to Fosters. As to her value...I'd have to say she's beyond price.

pitbulllady
08-01-2008, 04:20 PM
Duchess was the one not-Frankie subject I asked Craig about last Sunday. He told me that they never created her creator but he was an artistic prodigy of a sort, creating pettigreed, artistic Imaginary Friends much as Picasso or Van Gogh would create paintings, and the IF's he created were for sale to those who could afford them, much as we might purchase high-end paintings and sculptures. Duchess ended up at Foster's because of her attitude; no one was willing to put up with her, including (I assume) her creator and his parents. I didn't ask about her age but if she was created to look the way she looks now, she could possibly be much younger than we've thought. Another point to ponder is that she's a sentient being but is also for sale, which has some serious implications. Thoughts, anyone?

I think that being a child, her creator can be forgiven, sort of, for creating Imaginary Friends to sell, and thinking no more of them than he would of a painting. Children are strange like that; they'll bestow the same affection upon a toy or something inanimate that they would on a family member while conspiring to give away a younger sibling, literally. It does open a bit of a worm can, though, to equate the Imaginary Friends(even Duchess)with things that aren't even alive, let alone sentient and sapient(which is a much-higher level than being sentient)beings. I guess that could account for Duchess's attitude, knowing that her own creator did not even acknowledge that she was an intelligent individual in her own right, and only thought of her as a way to make money. Again, it gets into the whole thing of the Imaginary Friends in the Foster's Universe being self-aware, capable of complex language, abstract thought processes, a belief in an afterlife or immortal soul and believing that THEY have one, being capable of creating and making things up themselves, stopping just short of being able to imagine another being into existence(something they share with us adult humans). I think it does come down to, at some point, that some of the Imaginary Friends themselves are going to have to stand up for themselves and their own kind, generating another chapter to the civil rights struggle.

pitbulllady

Lynnie
08-01-2008, 06:18 PM
Interesting, I never would have guessed that's how Duchess came to be. Her creator (confirmed to be a boy?) sounds like he could grow up to be quite the business man, scheming or not. He obviously knew how to make a profit. Kind of reminds me of Cornelius Vanderbilt and how he would as a child offer to ferry his friends to Staten Island, but would charge them a fee to ferry them back home to the mainland. Scheming, yes, but he would leave a legacy for his children and grandchildren, and the Vanderbilts would come to be known as American Royalty (they even built castles!). Duchess' creator doesn't sound like he was trying to trick anyone, but he could easily leave a similar legacy if given time. That's some imagination he's got, and he knows how to use his head! :wizard:

I also imagine his other "creations" weren't near as nasty and heartless as Duchess. Perhaps some of them actually were good friends to their buyers. So I don't judge him by the one creation that turned out bad.

antgirl1
08-01-2008, 09:21 PM
I also imagine his other "creations" weren't near as nasty and heartless as Duchess. Perhaps some of them actually were good friends to their buyers. So I don't judge him by the one creation that turned out bad.

Ha, with that being said, Duchess probably has a lot of siblings around the world! XD

jekylljuice
08-02-2008, 08:30 AM

Wow, I never would have suspected that. Thank you very much for doing the appropriate research, Cass, since, as I've said previosuly, Duchess's history has always been a subject of great interest to me. I wonder if they intend to bring it up in any of the remaining episodes...if they do, then I'm guessing that it won't be too major a plot point, if Craig was happy to divulge those details there and then. It certainly accounts for why Mr. Herriman regards her as a "pedigree" imaginary friend.

I also take it then that her creator didn't intentionally design her to be so cold and antagonistic? Maybe Duchess actually resents the motivations behind her genesis, despite (outwardly at least) being very proud of her pedigree, and her hostility is in some way a reaction against this. Could it be that she really has self-esteem issues deep down inside? Maybe. It's certainly brilliant fan fiction fodder, at any rate.

Cassini90125
08-02-2008, 09:01 AM
My pleasure. As far as Duchess's personality goes, I think that's just the way she is, nothing deeper than that. I don't think the writers will explore her background any further than they already have. I don't know if she'll pop up in the movie or not but considering it's length there's certainly room for her.

Ub3rD4n
08-02-2008, 04:25 PM
Well, that explains a few things. Duchess was never made to be friendly, she was just made to look good. Just like Extremasaurs were just made to smash things. Pretty sad if you think of it, that she never knew the kind of affection that everyone else in the entire house has, at some point or another.

jekylljuice
08-03-2008, 06:38 AM
My pleasure. As far as Duchess's personality goes, I think that's just the way she is, nothing deeper than that. I don't think the writers will explore her background any further than they already have. I don't know if she'll pop up in the movie or not but considering it's length there's certainly room for her.

I hope that there'll be a few more Duchess moments (or longer) in store before the series is through. Love her or loathe her, she's always such an entertaining character.

DaBomb
05-03-2009, 05:33 PM
When she turns she lloks like a very skiny stick or a pole! Cool huh?

fosters home fan
05-12-2009, 02:06 PM
She's a living work of art!!! She is one of the best minor characters, like, EVER. She is awesome looking, too. >:(

jekylljuice
05-13-2009, 02:43 AM
She's a living work of art!!! She is one of the best minor characters, like, EVER. She is awesome looking, too. >:(

I concur. I've always loved Duchess. I'd rate her character design as being one of the most memorable and inspired in the entire Foster's line-up, and that's certainly saying something.

Cell_Phone_guy
01-20-2010, 12:48 PM
After Mac and family moved out of the apartment, I wonder if they returned Duchess to the family who adopted her in "Duchess of Wails"? >:(

carlito_cool
08-10-2010, 10:26 AM
I rarely see this imaginary friend Duchess. But i kinda hate her because she's so rude and she thinks he runs foster's at the episode "Duchess of Wails"

:duchconf:

KazooBloo
11-29-2016, 10:36 PM
Duchess was actually okay compared to other characters. Didn't mind her.