PDA

View Full Version : Episode Discussion: Setting A President

Voxxyn
10-08-2006, 10:53 PM
I don't think this episode gets the appreciation it deserves. Not only did it have some really funny moments, but also genuine drama. I must say this episode made me like Mr. Herriman a lot more, as I felt really bad for him in the final act of the episode when he was trying to find a job.

And, of course, our favorite redhead caretaker gets to shine in the lead for once. "Frankie My Dear" is an undisputed classic, but I think Mac and Bloo were the actual protagonists in that episode. Here, however, she's the main character from start to finish. And I think the storyline in this episode shows just how great her character truly is, and just how sympathetic and lovable she is as a person.

She might've been influenced to quit by the low pay, but there's no denying her endless compassion for the imaginary friends, and the fact that she wound up caring for everybody by the end of the episode--even that ol' rabbit that she doesn't get along too well with.

Medikor
10-09-2006, 12:06 PM
Well, Harriman is still her family, right? Frankie wouldan't want to hurt him, no matter how much he makes her work to the bone. And you do have to feel bad for Harriman. He must have thought his world was put upside-down when Frankie won. He must have thought anarchy and chaos would rule.8D
It was great to see Frankie win. Evan if she handed her new role back to Mr. Harriman. But evan then, she still got the last laugh.;)

Mr. Marshmallow
10-09-2006, 12:34 PM
This obviously was a great episode vehicle for Frankie, and I think it was here that all the viewers and characters found out what we all knew all along: just how important Frankie is to Foster's and what she does for everyone.

We all know Frankie takes care of everyone and caters to everyone's needs, but it was never really brought to the show's attention as directly as this. And despite the fact I hated how Frankie was totally bashed in "Imposter's".

I have to say, this "torture" Bloo put her through was quite amusing. The photos, the ad commercials, and of course those "admittingly catchy songs". That just made me laugh. Bloo has some great moments in this episode.

I especially liked this one:

Herriman: That wasn't an answer at all, he's just mud slinging.

SPLAT

Herriman:.....oh I should have seen that coming.

And

......cough "Loser" :D good stuff.

Voxxyn
10-09-2006, 03:32 PM
Um... in absolutely NO way was I bashing Herriman. I was just trying to point out how Frankie felt sorry for him even after all the tough times she has endured thanks largely to him, and how she had the heart(And yes, I do believe it was as much of an influence on her final decision as her financial interests were) at the end to give him back his old job.

Seriously, I've always enjoyed his character, and found his antics to be funny. But this episode DID make him seem somewhat more sympathetic, as we saw that his role as President is really all he's ever known for the last 30 years. Because I don't want any more confusion, I edited the offending part of my original post.

The "torturing" of Frankie in this episode--the smear attack and song--was hilarious stuff. I think that's because it was done to be goofy and lightheartedly silly, and wasn't cruel at all. The song was very addictive; and Frankie herself didn't have trouble admitting that.

Unlike that other Season 3 episode, "Setting A President" had a genuine story instead of being a thinly-veiled excuse to bash the hell out of somebody, and that's why I loved it.

Medikor
10-09-2006, 04:34 PM
I never got the feeling that you were bashing Mr. Harriman at all, Voxxyn. And we all know Frankie would have given him his job back, even if she made alot more money. That's just how wonderful Frankie is!:D
I think a slight reversal on this episode could be another great Harriman/Frankie episode. Maybe have Mr.Harriman refuse to give Frankie a raise or more time off, so she go'es on strike. Mr.Harriman hire's one new applicant after the other, but none of them can do the job well at all. In the end, Mr.Harriman realizes that Frankie is the only employee he's ever had to even come close to his standards of work ethic and the other friend's start demanding him to bring Frankie back. So in the end, Mr.Hariman gives in to Frankie's demands and the whole house learns a lesson or two.
1: Mr. Hariman learns that his standards MAY be a little too high.
2: The friends who were taking Frankie for granted learn just how important she is to them and the house.
This is just a simple flip on the "Setting a Presadent" formula, and could make for an amusing episode. Especialy if Bloo is calling for the replacement workers to do every little thing for him untill Frankie comes back.8D

Cassini90125
10-09-2006, 05:38 PM
That may well be one of the best episode ideas I've ever read. I'd love to see that! :frankiesmile:

Voxxyn
10-09-2006, 08:23 PM
I think that's an absolutely great idea!

Though, for a future episode, I'd like to see them in some kind of situation, where they're forced to work together and co-operate for the sake of something or somebody. They would be very hesitant at first, but by the end of the episode, they might actually gain a newfound appreciation for each other. I'd just like to see their teamwork portrayed in a protagonist-like way, because what we've actually seen of such so far has been somewhat antagonistic towards the others(Wrongly punishing the friends thanks to Bendy's manipulation, trying to get rid of Eduardo's fleas against his will).

Mr. Marshmallow
10-09-2006, 08:29 PM
The fleas thing I actually think that Herriman and Frankie were in the right by trying to de-flea Eduardo. Yes their methods may have been more sneakie and forceful, but they are in charge of taking care of the imaginary friends and the house.

Everyone was suffering from Ed's flea problem, and so was he (even though he wouldn't admit it). I think Frankie and Herriman did the right thing and I hope while they do get along occasionally, they stay at ends with each other for most of the time.

It's just something I'm used to, and I think Frankie has accepted it as a part of her life. Frankie obviously knew that getting Herriman back would probably no doubt increase the chances of them fighting again, but in a way, I think she's grown used to Herriman.

They need each other just like Bloo needs Mac, it's a balance.

Voxxyn
10-09-2006, 11:04 PM
They need each other just like Bloo needs Mac, it's a balance.

That's exactly what I had in mind when I mentioned my episode idea. They would come to accept that, no matter how much they get on each other's nerves, that they need each other because their constant clashing provides a perfect balance in authority(The loving caregiver with a short temper vs. the civilized elder with a stuffy demeanor), for the sake of the imaginary friends at Foster's. Of course, though, it would end with some occurence where they go back to bickering and arguing again.

I hope you didn't interpret my post as saying that I want them to be very best friends. Their rivalry is undoubtedly great stuff, and has provided some of the show's funniest moments. I just think it would be nice to see them put aside their differences, and work as allies once in a while.

Medikor
10-10-2006, 05:31 AM
I like you're idea of the two working together in a good way, Voxxyn. Even if it's just the two getting locked in the basement (By Bloo no doubt) and haveing to put up with each other. Good idea.

Voxxyn
10-10-2006, 04:11 PM
That wouldn't be bad. But what I'd want to see is them encountering some sort of general problem or threat, which neither can solve on their own. And their teamwork would be portrayed as protagonists, instead of being a sideplot like in "Land of the Flea" or somewhat antagonist like in "Bendy".

(And as already discussed on Frankie's thread, I'd much rather see Bloo used for the "Frankie getting locked with someone else" idea)

Mr. Marshmallow
10-10-2006, 04:14 PM
The most common gag used for these kind of things, is to get the 2 opposing characters lost in some crazy place like a dinosaur island or a desert or some place where their skills are useless and they have no control over anything.

Frankie and Herriman are house broken characters, most of what they do revolves around the house and taking care of everyone or everything in Foster's. Like in the camping episode, everything goes to hell outside of Foster's.

If Frankie and Herriman say got stuck on a crazy road trip like Stewie and Brian did in "Family Guy", that'd be a situation workable. I agree with you Vox on the blue idea, nothing would be funnier then to see Frankie and Bloo locked in a room for hours on end.

Medikor
10-10-2006, 05:06 PM
I've been trying to think of some kind of situation that would force Mr. Hariman and Frankie to work together well, like Voxxyn sugested. The best thing I can think of is maybe Madam Foster pretends to be very sick to get out of something she REALLY dosen't want to do (Fitting for her since she's an 8 year old in and 80 year olds body.8D ) and scareing the pants off Hariman and Frankie as a result.
I'm not sure what would happen, though. Maybe they spend the day working together to help her "recover" or they have to go represent her at what ever it was she didan't want to go to.
I figured Voxxyn had a great idea with the two actually working together rather then fighting, and as protaganist's rather than antagonist's. I tried really hard to think of an emergincy that would force them to call a truce and cooperate, and the only thing that came to mind was the person that is most important to the both of them.:D
Well, Vox, is that the kind of thing you were thinking of? Because that's the best I can come up with. I'm not to good at working with other peoples ideas. I hope you like it.

Cassini90125
10-10-2006, 05:10 PM
Sounds really good to me. Madam Foster is the perfect catalyst, too, her being one of the few things Frankie and Mr. Herriman have in common.

Voxxyn
10-10-2006, 07:14 PM
That premise would be fine with me, as long as it doesn't end with both of them looking like fools at the end(Which, to be honest, it somewhat suggests). It could end with Madame Foster revealing her true intentions, and forces her granddaughter and imaginary friend to lock themselves in a looooooooong and awkward embrace.

My personal thought is this: Mr. Herriman decides to accompany and monitor Frankie on her latest day off(*), which of course wouldn't please her at all.

Now, I don't know the exact details as to what would happen. One idea I have is that Frankie would plan to go to some kind of party and meet up with a group of same-age girls whom she says are her outside friends. After going through much planning, re-planning, delaying and nearly being driven insane by Herriman's interveening, she eventually arrives at the party--only to be ridiculed and mocked by her "friends". It turns out Frankie was only hanging out with them because they're the "cool girls" in town--and they decided to play an elaborate prank on her by befriending her in return, when they in fact HATE imaginary friends and think she is a complete loser for dedicating her entire life to them; and decided to invite her to the party, just so that they could prey on what they believe is a very "uncool" girl.

Remember that SpongeBob SquarePants episode where SpongeBob and Squidward nearly kill themselves trying to deliver the Krusty Krab pizza to it's customer? How when they finally arrived, the customer completely rejects them because the order wasn't exactly what he wanted? How SpongeBob broke down and cried... and what Squidward, who usually HATES him, did in return? Well, that more or less explains how Herriman would react to the group of girls at the very end.

(* - And if you're wondering how the house would be run with both of them out for the day; Mr. Herriman could appoint Wilt to take care of the place while they're gone, and/or even hire some sitters, like Frankie did in FGTE)

Cassini90125
10-10-2006, 07:23 PM
Sounds like it could be very moving. I'd love to see that. :frankiesmile:

kageri
10-10-2006, 08:02 PM
That premise would be fine with me, as long as it doesn't end with both of them looking like fools at the end(Which, to be honest, it somewhat suggests). It could end with Madame Foster revealing her true intentions, and forces her granddaughter and imaginary friend to lock themselves in a looooooooong and awkward embrace.

My personal thought is this: Mr. Herriman decides to accompany and monitor Frankie on her latest day off(*), which of course wouldn't please her at all.

Now, I don't know the exact details as to what would happen. One idea I have is that Frankie would plan to go to some kind of party and meet up with a group of same-age girls whom she says are her outside friends. After going through much planning, re-planning, delaying and nearly being driven insane by Herriman's interveening, she eventually arrives at the party--only to be ridiculed and mocked by her "friends". It turns out Frankie was only hanging out with them because they're the "cool girls" in town--and they decided to play an elaborate prank on her by befriending her in return, when they in fact HATE imaginary friends and think she is a complete loser for dedicating her entire life to them; and decided to invite her to the party, just so that they could prey on what they believe is a very "uncool" girl.

Remember that SpongeBob SquarePants episode where SpongeBob and Squidward nearly kill themselves trying to deliver the Krusty Krab pizza to it's customer? How when they finally arrived, the customer completely rejects them because the order wasn't exactly what he wanted? How SpongeBob broke down and cried... and what Squidward, who usually HATES him, did in return? Well, that more or less explains how Herriman would react to the group of girls at the very end.

(* - And if you're wondering how the house would be run with both of them out for the day; Mr. Herriman could appoint Wilt to take care of the place while they're gone, and/or even hire some sitters, like Frankie did in FGTE)

Awww, that sounds sweet, and like it could flesh out Frankie's personality even more, too. Frankie doesn't seem to care what people think about her, but I think everyone at least sometimes wants to be cool and for people to like them, even if they're people they know they wouldn't form lifelong friendships with or anything. That would make Frankie seem even more three-dimensional.

.....and nothing will ever convince me that there's a better episode of SBSP than that one.

Medikor
10-11-2006, 05:58 AM
Now THAT is much better then what I came up with! That would be a nice episode. It be would very heartwarming if Frankie gives Mr. Hariman a hug or kiss on the cheek as a thank you. Great work Vox!:D

taranchula
10-11-2006, 09:43 AM
I've always been a fan of political satire, so naturally I was attracted to this episode like a set of car keys near an electromagnet, and really how can you not like an episode that whips out a "Hitchhiker's" reference?

Medikor
10-11-2006, 11:28 AM
Where was the refrence? I'm not a fan of Hitchhiker's but my dad is. He would appreceate it more then I would.8D

Voxxyn
10-11-2006, 12:12 PM
It's during the presidential debate when Eduardo asks what is 2 plus 3. Bloo says that instead of 5, it should be 42... a number that has great significance in the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy series.

I must say, Eduardo was really funny in this episode. That scene, and the whole "punching" gag where he completely owns Bloo.

Medikor
10-11-2006, 01:41 PM
Thak's Vox. I just assumed that was Bloo being Bloo.8D

Invader Bloo
10-21-2006, 09:54 PM
I really want more Frankie as main character episodes like this, "Frankie My dear" & "Big Cheese" came close but both had characters in bigger roles (Bloo,Mac, & Cheese). I really want to see this episode more often, but CN never shows it. :(

Kzinistzerg
10-23-2006, 03:42 PM
It's during the presidential debate when Eduardo asks what is 2 plus 3. Bloo says that instead of 5, it should be 42... a number that has great significance in the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy series.

I must say, Eduardo was really funny in this episode. That scene, and the whole "punching" gag where he completely owns Bloo.

I second that, hehe, ballots, hehe.... ANd 42, that was brilliant.

frankie_fan
12-05-2006, 06:18 PM
I especially liked this one:

Herriman: That wasn't an answer at all, he's just mud slinging.

SPLAT

Herriman:.....oh I should have seen that coming.

And

......cough "Loser" :D good stuff.

Couldn't agree more. The mud slinging was great. I also loved Eduardo's punching gag. That got me going!! 8D

Partymember
12-08-2006, 09:58 AM
its on at 2pm on Saturday! wohoo!

Howard
12-08-2006, 11:59 AM
This is one episode I have not seen.:wiltshock:

Cassini90125
12-08-2006, 12:04 PM
It's very good. One of the caps from that episode is in my nearly finished 2007 calendar; I used another for the cover. :frankiesmile:

Mr. Marshmallow
12-08-2006, 12:55 PM
I think one of the best things about this episode with Frankie was the fact that it was clearly her moment to shine her, but even still, I have to say this wouldn't be as nearly as funny if it weren't for Bloo and Herriman's crazy antics.

Their "catchy" songs and utterly stupid commercials and attempts to piss Frankie off were classic. Frankie's tantrums were great, especially when she herad that song and she was running around the place and Bloo just said "Name calling, so that's what it's come to eh Frankie?".

;D that was just great.

kageri
12-08-2006, 01:26 PM
I think one of the best things about this episode with Frankie was the fact that it was clearly her moment to shine her, but even still, I have to say this wouldn't be as nearly as funny if it weren't for Bloo and Herriman's crazy antics.

Their "catchy" songs and utterly stupid commercials and attempts to piss Frankie off were classic. Frankie's tantrums were great, especially when she herad that song and she was running around the place and Bloo just said "Name calling, so that's what it's come to eh Frankie?".

;D that was just great.

I haven't seen that episode in months and I still get that song stuck in my head sometimes. "Ugly, fat and stanky".... ahh.

Jabberwocky
12-08-2006, 04:04 PM
She once robbed a bankie! 8D

This is one of my favorite episodes. Bloo/Herriman is the best thing ever. I liked when Herriman was looking for a job. "Ooh, I'm any old loser!"

Voxxyn
12-08-2006, 05:17 PM
Yeah, Herriman and Bloo's antics were good stuff. The song was funny because it's lyrics were basically the exact opposite of who Frankie actually is.

But their campaign attack was also important and necessary, because it made Frankie's eventual victory even more sweet.

frankie_fan
12-18-2006, 06:19 PM
I also liked Bloo's remark at the end of the song:

'Also Frankie is dumb!'

frankie_fan
01-09-2007, 05:43 PM
I watched 'Setting a President' again today. I just couldn't help myself but warm to Frankie's closing statement in the debate scene. It really shows her dedication to the house and how much she cares for the IFs. :frankiesmile:

Cassini90125
01-09-2007, 07:00 PM
That, and the speech she made over the intercom. I loved those moments. But what I enjoyed most was the moment that she won. :frankiesmile:

frankie_fan
01-09-2007, 07:12 PM
I also loved Frankie reprising the song as she walks into Mr Herriman's 'former' office! 8D

Mr. Marshmallow
01-09-2007, 10:22 PM
That, and the speech she made over the intercom. I loved those moments. But what I enjoyed most was the moment that she won. :frankiesmile:

I knew Frankie was gonna win, not just because of who she is but also because she really really worked for this. Though I have to admit, my favorite part was something more minor but it really made me laugh.

It was right after Frankie denounced Bloo's bashing song and gave a sterling and admirable speech, and then Herriman gives this quick reply:

"Frankie is a do-do head!"

8D I normally don't laugh to use of the word "doo doo" simply because it sounds like a baby word of the real swear. But Herriman said it SO fast and it came out RIGHT after Frankie spoke, it was just perfect timing and very funny.

Howard
01-10-2007, 09:50 AM
I still have not seen this episode, and it is not on YouTube.:(

LaBloo
01-10-2007, 12:07 PM
I Wonder Why Coco wants to be President if she wasn't a candidate?
This Episode's Fun.

taranchula
01-10-2007, 12:22 PM
I Wonder Why Coco wants to be President if she wasn't a candidate?

Her one vote could have been a write in vote by some undecided voter whom just could not choose between the available candidates.....and voted for someone whom was not on the ballot so as not to hurt anyone?s feelings. Gee I wonder if anyone in that episode fits that description eh?....:(

GASP don't let the other fellas hear you say that, otherwise you might have to turn in your Frankie fan-club membership card. ;)

Mr. Marshmallow
01-10-2007, 12:28 PM
I know this is off topic Taranchula but that is a freaking sweet avatar!

I totally love it ;D.

One Radical Dude
01-10-2007, 12:32 PM

We gotta fix that. 8D

Howard
01-10-2007, 01:01 PM
We gotta fix that. 8D

Sorry to be a disgrace to both you and taranchula in the fanclub dept.:( , I definitely want to see this episode. I have seen the screen grabs, and looking at those I know this has got to be THE episode to watch (especially where Frankie is concerned).:frankiesmile:

Voxxyn
01-10-2007, 02:11 PM
GASP don't let the other fellas hear you say that, otherwise you might have to turn in your Frankie fan-club membership card. ;)

Why? It's not duck's fault that Cartoon Network has been really neglecting to air this episode.

Cassini90125
01-10-2007, 02:31 PM
According to the CN site, the next airing is January 15 at 4:00 pm Eastern time.

taranchula
01-10-2007, 03:01 PM
Eh guys that whole fan-club deal was only a joke, I didn't mean for anyone to take it seriously. :jk:

Howard
01-10-2007, 03:19 PM
Eh guys that whole fan-club deal was only a joke, I didn't mean for anyone to take it seriously. :jk:

Now look what you have started!8D I really want to check this episode out now...:D

frankie_fan
01-10-2007, 05:30 PM

I figured that it was only a joke! 8D

One Radical Dude
01-10-2007, 07:13 PM
Okay... :jk: :P Heh heh. Be sure you watch it, duck, when you get a chance.

Howard
02-06-2007, 08:54 AM
My DVR recorded this (I was not home), and this episode was extremely funny! I loved the mud slinging. "5 is not good enough!" - Bloo :frankiesmile:

Ub3rD4n
05-01-2007, 02:03 AM
Once again, loved the episode. Especially how it's mostly from the point of view of Frankie. Not that I have anything against Bloo, I just hate how he's the centrepoint of almost every episode. I know WHY he is, it's cause he's freakin' awesome, in a way that produces a lot of comedy, but still.....

But yeah, I liked the way Frankie won out without it being contrived or devoid of humour:frankiesmile: And, though Mr H was not portrayed in the best of lights, he was shown to be truly sympathetic at the end.

Ub3rD4n says: three thumbs up!

Major Abbey
07-31-2009, 07:37 AM
(First of all, sorry if I wasn't supposed to bump this thread)

This is my favourite episode for a number of reasons. First, it's always good to see an episode where Frankie has a good role - and here she shares the spotlight with another of my favourites, Mr Herriman, and it's a great episode for both. Frankie finally gets some respect from the IFs and we see just how important Herriman's job is to him. As some other people have said, this made him more of a sympathetic character than he's usually portrayed.

And, to top it off, it's funny. The debate, the conversation at the dinnertable ("oh, come on, that's just ridiculous"), everything... I just love this episode.

Lynnie
07-31-2009, 05:54 PM
Nah, don't worry about bumping an old thread as long as you have something relevant to add, which I think you did a good job at doing. :)

I really like this episode too, but there's always been something that bugs me about it. And that's the very end where Frankie gives the job as House President back to Mr. H. I mean, the house voted for her, they wanted her to be president. And in running for president she should have realized she would be committed once elected. It would be like whoever was elected president of a country to suddenly hand over the job to the president they had just replaced, without consulting the country's people. It's just not ethical. :P

I of course am not saying Frankie was "bad" in doing what she did. She couldn't have been able to survive with the salary she was making now. But with Madame F being her grandma and the employer, you'd think she could just talk to her and come to some kind of barter. I believe Madame F would have understood and given Frankie the pay she deserved. That would have made more sense than for Frankie to hand over the keys back to Mr. H. It didn't feel very in character for her either.

I would also have loved to see Frankie in a much more pleasurable job than the job she holds now, which is primarily cooking and cleaning. Even in the future, if she had kept her job, I imagine she's like me and would end up doing some cooking and cleaning anyway because she wants to help out and/or it's just simply the responsible thing to do. So it didn't have to change the story or her character at all.

Those are just my thoughts on the matter. ;)

Major Abbey
08-01-2009, 06:30 AM
Personally, I thought she gave the job back to Mr H. simply because the job really was all he had. It wasn't ethical, but it was more of a charitable decision on her behalf.

I suppose some people could say that she only gave it back because the salary was lower, but I don't think that was the case; as you've pointed out, she could have just talked to Madame Foster about it. I think she gave the job back to Mr H. because she saw what a hard time he was having at the supermarket. IFs like him weren't created to pack bags. Of course Frankie was doing a better job; heck, I'd have voted for her if I were in the house.

I'd like to think that, once he got the job back, Herriman took some of what was being said into account and stopped treating all IFs like they're the same. But since this is Herriman we're talking about, that's probably not very likely.

Lynnie
08-02-2009, 08:35 PM
You have a good point there. I can easily believe she gave his job back to him because she could clearly see how unhappy he was at the supermarket. It's just that seeing how low the salary was is what broke the camel's back, and then her last statement "You deserve every penny it pays" with a sly smirk that leans me more toward the salary being the main reason she gave it back. Although it's in character for her to get sly and sneaky with Mr. H, I thought it was out of character for her to basically turn her back on the rest of the house like that because they're the ones who voted for her. I don't in the least look down on her for that, I just think the episode's ending could have been thought through a little better. That just didn't feel like "Frankie" to me.

KazooBloo
12-03-2016, 10:22 PM
Not a fan of this episode. Gotta feel bad for Mr. H here. :(