PDA

View Full Version : A Series of Unfortunate Events(asoue)

vannielou
10-07-2006, 07:07 AM
This is the thread to discuss asoue (cause I didn't see another one in here but then again I'm blind so please direct me if there's one already)
The End is coming in 6 days. I'm excited.
I love this series, although after the movie came out I feel like part of it lost its luster. Still fantastic though and I'm trying to reread all before the new book comes. I skipped my homecoming so I would have enough money to get it8-)
do you have a favorite character? book? what do you think of the extra things such as the Unauthorized autobiography and beatrice letters? what do you own Asoue-wise? and what theories do you have or questions you want to ask
right now i don't have a favorite character or a favorite book but for a long time #6 was my favorite. I own all 12 books in hardback, unauthorized a. in hardback, misfortune telling card that came with my #9, the blank book with CO on it, the rare edition bad beginning with the author's notes, and a t-shirt with the orphans on it that looks like they're crammed somewhere and it says it gets worse, or something like that.

Amritama
10-07-2006, 08:49 AM
My gosh, this is one of the only book series I follow faithfully. I own books 1-12 (1-3 and 10-12 were in box sets, while the rest were purchased individually). I also own the hardcover edition of The Unauthorized Biography. When I go to Borders to buy book 13, I'm going to be getting The Beatrice Letters too (coupon love, plus my transportation problems). I’m also thinking about renting the movies during winter break, for I’ve heard some mixed reviews from people on them. So far, my collection is somewhat flimsy, but I do love the books!

I think all of the characters are unique (though I could easily say Mr. Poe slightly irritates me), but I love the Baudelaire orphans, especially Violet. The three of them are intelligent in different ways and have really been subtly maturing throughout the whole series. You know, speaking about characters...
Is it me, or has Count Olaf’s character been toned down ever since The Slippery Slope? Sure, he was going to poison Hotel Denouement and had other sinister plans in the books before that, but he didn’t behave like the Count Olaf that stuck fear into the Baudelaire orphans’ hearts. Perhaps the introduction of the new villains may’ve been the reason, but Olaf seems more childish than evil to me these days.

As for books, I LOVED The Penultimate Peril. A lot of characters from the previous books return, and to not spoil anything, the plot devices and twists were awesome. =) The Slippery Slope is a close second. I thought it developed the Baudelaire orphans nicely and never had a boring part present. Also, it took place on a snowy mountain (read: I love winter-y atmospheres.)

Anyhow, I'm excited about the release of The End. I heard the ending to the story would be bittersweet, and I'm not surprised either (does the main series' title ring a bell?). I also heard a few loose ends would be present, but I hope at least the main topics will be cleared up.

kageri
10-07-2006, 10:10 AM
I liked The Penultimate Peril, and the Carnivorous Carnival because the "freaks" were amusing. I have the Unauthorized Autobiography. It's hilarious, even if it tells you next to nothing about Lemony Snicket. And Violet is my favorite character, because she is awesome.

Thornwhistle
10-07-2006, 11:09 AM
I also have books 1-12,if you don't believe me,you can check my closet. I'm currently reading #12. I like Violet because she's a genious inventor and Sunny because she has mad cooking skills and I think it's cool that she bites things. Girl Power

I'm waiting for book 13 :D

vannielou
10-07-2006, 12:52 PM
I think the baudelaires will survive the end however well at least klaus and violet because in the reptile room LS mentions that in a few years the two will look back on their life while tossing and turning in bed wondering what if, however I don't think it mentions sunny I cried when sunny almost died, that was so scary

Imaginary Light
10-07-2006, 02:57 PM
I LOVE THESE BOOKS! I am eagerly awaiting Friday, so I can buy the 13th book. I'm short on time right now...not enough time to give a nice, long comment.

Thornwhistle
10-07-2006, 04:26 PM
fear the mushroom

Voxxyn
10-07-2006, 05:49 PM
:-[ I hope you guys won't kill me when I say that I've only seen the 2004 film adaptation starring Jim Carrey.

I don't know what was left out or "butchered"(Probably a lot, since it covered the first three installments), but I thought it was a pretty good movie. Even with just that, I already really like Violet. She's definitely one of my favorite female characters from any modern fictional media.

I'm gonna be reading the books very soon, though, because I love the premise.

lucyrocks73
10-08-2006, 03:08 AM
i don't mean to sound fan fiction but i guess I'm going to because I think there might be something since it can be basically said that Violet and Quigley like each other (ex.) the climbing mountain scene)it will be very odd if/when they run into duncan, I'm pretty sure there was something there too maybe not as strong but hey. does anyone else think that?

I actually addressed this once in fanfiction... And surprisingly, this is my most popular story. If you want the link, PM me.

I love the books. My favorite would probably have to be 10, because it just says so. My least favorite is probably 11.

Why? FIONA STINKS. I hate her. She KISSED Klaus. I am a Isadora/Klaus girl ALL the way. I think they have so much more in common than a random geeky girl who ends up betraying him in the end. I was disapointed when she wasn't in book 12, though, because I wanted him to yell at her or something... Or maybe Violet would come to the rescue and slap her. I hope this is addressed in 13.

The movie... Well, it's good. It's good if you don't compare it to the books. Frankly, I think that Jim Carrey (who I normally can't stand) ROCKED as Count Olaf. If you compare it to the books, though, it sucked.
-Marty 8-)

Imaginary Light
10-09-2006, 08:12 AM
I agree about the whole Fiona thing. She annoyed me. Klaus acted weird around her. Klaus/Isadora is SO much better, in my opinion.

vannielou
10-13-2006, 12:21 PM
THE END IS HERE

Imaginary Light
10-18-2006, 11:14 AM
Oh my gosh, I know, I'm so excited!!!!:D :D :D

lucyrocks73
10-18-2006, 11:31 AM
Umm.. well, this whole thing is full of spoilers.

THE QUAGMIRES ARE DEAD!!! WAAAAAAAAAAH!!! Well, we're not really sure, are we? They "were taken". At least Fiona's gone now, too! But it looks as if we Isadora/Klaus shippers will never see our day. I also liked how Duncan/Violet and Quigley/Violet fans get their way- a random Quag screamed her name, so the reader can decide. I did not read the Beatrice letters yet, but I REALLY want to!!! Overall, it was good, but the lack of the romantic plot I wanted slightly irritated me.

-Marty :goo:

Imaginary Light
10-18-2006, 11:45 AM
Well, then, I'm just gonna have to wait to read that, seeing as I'm on chapter 13 right now. I need to finish it!

Thornwhistle
10-18-2006, 02:47 PM
I bought book 13 and reading it. I'll let you know how I liked it when I'm finished.

Imaginary Light
10-19-2006, 08:43 AM
Ohmygosh, finished it last night! Okay...

I don't know exactly why, but I got really emotional near the end of the book. You know, the part where Olaf dies and Kit's baby is born? The whole "circle of life" thing? I'm such a sap, I swear. I still feel like there's some ropes left untied, but I guess it would be pretty hard to explain absolutely everything to us. Hey, Lemony should come out with an encyclopedia on VFD! Then all of our questions could be answered.

lucyrocks73
10-19-2006, 11:26 AM
I also thought that it was really cool that the book that the Baud's parents wrote in was titled A Series of Unfortunate Events. I'm slightly worried about fanfiction now, though- what about all of the Isadora/Klaus fanfics out there? Are they going to be abandoned because Isadora is "dead" in a way? At least Fiona "died" as well. That made made me happy.

-Marty :goo:

Thornwhistle
10-19-2006, 04:38 PM
I also finished reading. Well it might be the end for the Badelaire siblings and Kit's baby,but I feel the story still will continue. I believe the Quagmires,Fiona,Ferdinand,and Captain are still alive and in the mysterious seacraft. I think the seacraft is full of remaining V.F.D. members. And those two other villians have yet to be stopped.

For me,the story is not over yet.

Amritama
10-19-2006, 07:33 PM
Welllll, I got my copy of book 13. I have to say, I'm still slightly bias to book 12, but I really liked how Handler tied up the end of the Baudelaire's story. True, more questions than answers were presented to us, but one of the themes in the book was that every story has its fair share of secrets (or a "great unknown") that we may never figure out.

I thought the islanders and "Ish" sort of made things a lot more harder to comprehend then they already were, but they certainly helped emphasize that everyone acts based on their own beliefs and what the situation calls for. I found the "death" of the islanders (sure, they didn't actually die on the spot, but a person infected with Medusoid Myecelium would die within an hour) a bit unnecessary. Then again, it DID work with the main theme of the book (which could be interpreted in many ways), but something more poignant would've satisfied me better.

Speaking about poignant, Count Olaf rocked in this book. Not that I've ever disliked him, but Count Olaf was at his best here. His death, though somewhat unexpected for me, was dealt with in a way that didn't totally convey good triumphing over evil. Also, Kit x Olaf was a wonderful surprise. It was the least expected thing to happen in chapter 13 (or the whole book), but it was sweet. Kit x Olaf used to be one of my crack OTPs (come on, the two contrasted like day and night), but now I know it's somewhat canon! =D It makes me wonder whether all of the books didn't portray Olaf correctly, since Olaf was kind of the reason behind Kit's death (there were many more external factors, but that's not the point) and completely responsible for Jacques' death. Perhaps Lemony's slight bias distorted the books, but who knows? That's one of the many secrets we may never come to know.

I'm actually glad the Quagmires and the rest of the gang didn't make an appearance, though I wanted Fiona to come back. She, in my opinion, was one of the best characters in the series, and she only got to appear in one book. Anyhow, I think their appearance would've raised waaaayyy too many questions than were already present, and this is the Baudelaire orphans' story ONLY. The "great unknown" could've, as Kit said, either killed or saved them, though it's something that's debatable. I mean, it could've been a cameo from the infamous FFP, people far worst than Count Olaf, or some sort of symbolism of a greater thing. I actually believe it to be symbolism to the future, since, for all of us, the future can be hard to figure out. Also, the fact that they decided to challenge it strengthens my hunch.

Overall, I liked this book, but I felt sorry for Kit. She was one of my favorite VFD members, though Beatrice may have not been Beatrice without her depart. Oh, and Beatrice was cute. <3

Whoa, that's one of my longest posts... Well, The End was great and reminded me a bit of the earlier books and their endings. Perhaps Horseradish: Bitter Truths You Can't Avoid might answer some (if not all, which I highly doubt) questions thar rose up throughout the books. Also, Amazon has two other books set to publish on the same day as Horseradish, although I believe they may be reprints.