PDA

View Full Version : Happy Thanksgiving '08!

Sparky
11-26-2008, 08:18 PM
Not where I am yet, but it is on the east coast. So Happy Turkey Day to one and all! Since the day is all about stuffing ourselves more than a bird (although Kiwi will get her share too!), tell us what you're planning to eat/ate!

Our menu this year consists of...

Appetizers:
The Read Family Classic Deviled Eggs
stuffed celery
black olives

Dinner:
Butter-basted, stuffed turkey with homemade gravy
whipped yams with maple syrup, butter, and marshmallows
green beans
rolls
cranberry sauce

Dessert:
pumpkin cheesecake
French silk pie

Everything on this list is/will be homemade except for the stuffing (from a mix), the rolls (from a tube), the green beans (from a bag) and the olives and cranberry sauce (from a can).

Thanksgiving makes me tired for three whole days. :-[

Lynnie
11-26-2008, 08:30 PM
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Even those not in the states, hope you have a great Thursday (if it's not already over), and remember all that you're thankful for! :)

As for what I'm planning on having-

Herb roasted turkey breast

Yams

Mashed potatoes and gravy

Green bean casserole

Squash

Cranberry sauce

Pumpkin pie

I was going to make cornbread to take the place of the dressing since I never cared for it a whole lot, but at searching through my dad's pantry, there's only about 1/4 cup left of corn meal. I'm bummed about that, but I'll live. Maybe I'll make biscuits instead. They'd be good with the gravy. :bloosmirk:

Cassini90125
11-26-2008, 08:44 PM
Let's see...

Turkey, of course
Cranberry sauce (canned)
Stuffing (lots of that)
Mashed turnips (I love turnips)
Gravy (some homemade concoction)

Quite a bit for one person so I'll be eating it all for several days. The turkey itself is already done; my brother dropped off Birdzilla this afternoon and thanks to Price Rite I had absolutely no room in the refridgerator for it, so it had to be cooked then and there. Stripped of the skin and bones, the meat just barely fits inside.

I can't help wishing that the pilgrims had started this tradition by sending the Mayflower to Italy to pick up a pizza. :cheesegrin:

One Radical Dude
11-26-2008, 09:15 PM
Happy Thanksgiving, America! What is at my place this year? I don't know everything we're having, but I know turkey, stuffing, pie, rolls, and most likely mashed potatoes are on the menu. :)

Mac-a-lacka
11-26-2008, 09:59 PM
Happy Thanksgiving, Everybody! :)

We'll probably have the common mix of Thanksgiving goodies like turkey, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, stuffing, and pumpkin pie. ;D

bloonuggets
11-26-2008, 10:24 PM
Well, I do the Alton Brown brining turkey for the last couple years, and now I even added some cranberry sauce injections this year. Also, mashed potatoes, candied yams, stuffing, broccoli with cheese sauce (and no, not the IF who likes chocolate milk), more cranberry sauce goodness and pumpkin and blueberry pies for dessert.

fosters home fan
11-27-2008, 06:52 AM
Yuh, happy Thanksgiving, everyone. ;D

Cornbread. :bloobleh:

Sparky
11-27-2008, 08:59 AM
bloonuggets, I tried the Alton Brown recipe several years ago and my apartment filled with smoke! I had to have the front and back doors open for like an hour. Does yours do that? My father still makes fun of my cooking skills because of that incident, and I'm afraid to try brining ever again. :bloosad:

Imaginary Light
11-27-2008, 09:41 AM
Happy Thanksgiving, all! My family's dining on turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes with gravy, cranberry sauce, apple pie, and chocolate pudding pie this year. Yum, I can't wait.:P

Lynnie
11-27-2008, 02:39 PM
As for what I'm planning on having-

Herb roasted turkey breast

Yams

Mashed potatoes and gravy

Green bean casserole

Squash

Cranberry sauce

Pumpkin pie

And so it is! :D

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa1/Lynnie_Lyn/DSCI0439.jpg

And on my plate

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa1/Lynnie_Lyn/DSCI0440.jpg

I'm so proud. :smed: I made the whole meal all by myself. Well, except for the cranberry sauce of course, and the yams came out of a can and all I really did was heat them up. But everything else was made by me. The squash has nutmeg and orange juice in it, just how I like it. The potatoes have butter, salt and sour cream in them, and topped with paprika. The gravy is chicken gravy, not turkey, but I'm pleased that it turned out well and not too watery. And the turkey is peppered with a number of herbs and basted with butter. Besides the potatoes being a little on the watery side (I should have let them sit in the strainer for another 30 seconds or so), everything turned out very well, and very yummy. I'm so proud! *sniff, sniff* Shame it's all only for myself. I wish I could have shared this meal with someone else.

I also wish I had that cornbread, but I'm already stuffed, so it's not too big a deal anymore. :)

xxxClaire
11-27-2008, 05:34 PM
Happy Thanksgiving! :bloogrin:

taranchula
11-27-2008, 05:58 PM
To you, It's Thanksgiving, to me it's just Thursday. (Paraphrased from Rocky: 1976)

Happy Thanksgiving! :D