PDA

View Full Version : I found a rat

Sparky
09-10-2006, 06:47 PM
No, I did. Like, a domestic pet rat. I was out taking a walk around the neighborhood like I try to do every day, and here's this brown and white hooded rat not two feet from the sidewalk on the grass, with its head in a cup, or like the top of an aerosol spray can or something. Now, I used to have two rats, and I never get around to getting rid of anything so I still have all their stuff, including some of the feed mix I made myself, so I thought it would be negligent of me *not* to take this poor abandoned critter in, seeing as I have everything I need. But I wasn't gonna just pick it up, I mean, you never know, right, so I ran home and grabbed a Critter Keeper and a towel and ran back and picked it up (it held the cup over its head with its paws the whole time) and I took it home. I'm not sure what gender it is, from the size I guess male but its so dehydrated and its fur down there is so matted that its either a girl or a real dehydrated boy, if you know what I mean (rats are known for having huge balls if you didn't know). So I set up the travel cage with food and water and an Igloo and put it in there. Its real listless and weak. I got it to take some mashed apple from a spoon but then it just turned away, uninterested. I guess chances are good it won't live through the night. If it does I'll have to see if a shelter will take it or something, because I don't want to keep it.

Anyways I just thought that was an interesting story to share. Like I said chances are good I'll be telling you guys in the morning that the poor thing didn't make it.

Cassini90125
09-10-2006, 06:53 PM
I sincerely hope you'll be able to tell us otherwise. Regardless, I think it's great that you took him/her in like that. :)

Matchsticks
09-10-2006, 06:55 PM
I hope the rat lives. But I am sure there is a shelter or an organization near by that will take it.

GrimTheLost
09-10-2006, 06:58 PM
You are a good person for helping that rat.

BlooCheese
09-10-2006, 07:50 PM
Poor, poor rat. Not poor that he got rescued, but poor because he was abandoned.

Sparky
09-10-2006, 08:06 PM
Somebody probably didn't want it and just let it go outside - it *may* have escaped but the former is more likely. It happens a lot. People think "Oh, its a rat, it'll be okay," but domestic rats pretty much never survive outdoors, they just don't go feral. I mean, the thing was just laying by the sidewalk with its head in a cup! I guess it was trying to find a place to hide and that's all it could figure out to do. Nope, not feral material, that one.

lucyrocks73
09-11-2006, 02:42 AM
You'll have to tell us what happens...

-Marty 8-)

Fomalhaut
09-11-2006, 05:47 AM
I hope it lives through the night. You were so kind to take it in!

Scribble
09-11-2006, 06:07 AM
It makes me happy to hear that you're attempting to save it's life, even though it also makes me angry that someone might have just let it out. It really irritates me when people see rats and just automatically assume they're disease-ridden and digusting and it doubly annoys me when people can't be bothered to look after (or at least find a good home for) a pet that they decided to get in the first place. I'm actually after a couple of pet rats at the moment but it's a bit awkward with my dog around, so I'm going to have to wait.

I really do hope it survives!

Sparky
09-11-2006, 01:06 PM
It did pull through the night, and had positioned itself under the water bottle. It occasionally lifts its head, drinks a drop or so, and lies back down again. But its refusing all food. Since it clearly can't eat the lab blocks and Suebee's I put in there, I put in a mini-crock with baby food and Nutrical right next to it so it won't have to move far to get it. But if rehydrating itself doesn't help then no food will.

kageri
09-11-2006, 02:32 PM
Awwwww. I do so love rats. I used to have two, although one we had to put down because she bit, and the other lived a long time but got a tumor, as many rats do. I hope it gets better, even if you don't keep it. I hate people who let animals loose in the wild instead of giving them to a shelter or something.

scary_dream
09-11-2006, 11:05 PM
Aw, I hope the rat makes it! I wish people would learn that domesticated animals are very different from wild ones! It makes me so angry whenever people abandon animals. A few weeks ago my dad rescued a puppy that someone just left behind to fend by itself. The poor thing had almost gutted himself trying to work his way out of a barbed wire fence! The story has a good ending, though (as I hope yours does). He only came away with a few major scars and is the lankiest, sweetest thing I've ever met. I named him Wilt!

Sparky
09-12-2006, 12:48 PM
Well it died, last night or early this morning. As I understand rats that die in pain or distress clench up their paws and get that red discharge around the eyes, and it didn't have those, so I can only hope it passed on more or less peacefully. Still not sure if it was a boy or a girl - I tried doing an examination post-mortem but it was so stiff I couldn't really move the back legs out of the way. Oh well, I guess it doesn't really matter.

Cassini90125
09-12-2006, 01:03 PM
I'm sorry. At least you gave him a chance, and a place where he could go in peace. :bloosad:

kageri
09-12-2006, 03:13 PM
Awwwww. I agree with Cassini. At least you gave it a chance. Sadness. :[

BlooCheese
09-12-2006, 03:36 PM
Poor rat.

lucyrocks73
09-12-2006, 05:24 PM
Long live Saint Sparky.

Aww... the poor rat. The world needs more people willing to take animals in...

-Marty :(

Imaginary Light
09-13-2006, 11:51 AM
Aw, the poor, poor rat:( At least you cared for it until it died.

GrimTheLost
09-13-2006, 02:52 PM
I'm sorry about the rat ;_;

Fomalhaut
09-15-2006, 07:34 AM
Poor little creature. Sparky, I admire you anyway.

taranchula
09-15-2006, 07:49 PM
At least now we know the poor little guy has finally found peace. :'(

Kzinistzerg
09-16-2006, 12:46 PM
yeah... It likely would have been much less comfortable if not for you...

DGenerationX
11-11-2006, 06:55 PM
so sad, oh well:cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :'(

Invader Bloo
11-11-2006, 08:42 PM
Poor rat.
A couplemonths ago I found a HUGE rat in my backyard,Ithink my dog was the causeof death.My grandma's dog (a German shepard) thinks she's "playing" with squirels & accidently kills them. It's sortafunny in a cruel wayofa big dog playiong with squirels, but it's also mean. Idon't think animals should suffer. Humans it depends on what they have done, if they done something horrible I want them to suffer.

Wow,waaayOT sorry spark. :-/

Medikor
11-17-2006, 11:44 AM
You're a very good person for helping that rat and makeing it's last days a little more comfortable. I'm sure it'll put a good word in for you in heaven.;)